• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Never played this before and not sure it's my thing but damn November is stacked. The Switch just keeps on giving.
One of the biggest surprises in gaming. I was expecting a fun little indie game and got one of my favorite games of all time, my main competitive game and something that after two years I still play daily and have over two thousand hours in.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have anything to announce at this time RE: Physical version, but that's very different than "no physical version".
So basically your planning a physical release but it won't be out till next year so you don't wanna day anything in case it puts people off buying the digital version in 2 weeks?

Makes sense, I'll be there Day one for digital version, just makes so much sense for a quick pick up and play.

Thanks for all your work too, this game is a fucking masterpiece.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
My backlog is already so stacked on this console. I'm starting to think it will never let up! :P

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I can't wait.

Never played it. Would you say it is like Fifa or like mk battle mode?
So... it's more like Fifa, but it controls like a racing game. There isn't a "shoot" button, or a "pass" or a "save" button. There are no items (except for a particular mode). You drive a car with semi-realistic physics, you have a turbo, and you can jump. You can perform all sorts of crazy stunts by combining these simple controls in creative ways. It's easy to play but hard to master.

Matches are quick and fun, it's so perfect for a handheld.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in after I'm done with Doom. Never played RL and have only heard nothing but great things about it, can't go wrong with that price tag either.

DOZ8

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Having not played Rocket League before this will be day 1 for me. Can't wait! I had fallen out of gaming for a while and I feel like the Switch is catching me up on a ton that I missed.

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after mkd8's terrible online netcode and splatoon's 16hz tickrate , i cant give this a chance.
i need official confirmation from Nintendo that the Switch's online isnt shit.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Then it is November 14 that I make my return!
Portable rocket league is a killer app. I'm even looking forward to seeing what they did with the motion controls...

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Very cool, I'm happy with my Xbox version but I'm thrilled that more people will be entering into the Rocket League player base.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Wow what fantastic news!! Really made my....Monday. So now, is November the more stacked month for Switch...or October??? And then, Xenoblade..!!!

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Ok. So within the span of one week I will be purchasing on Switch: Doom, L.A Noir, Rocket League, Skyrim. Great. I can afford this...

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I play this game almost every day and I'm still hype for this! Can't wait to play with my friends on Steam no matter where I am. Also, getting this after just getting Mario Odyssey, red Joy-Con, and Shovel Knight for Switch means RIP my wallet lol

dred

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rocket League, let me give you a brief description of what makes it so special. Unlike traditional sports games that try to emulate sports in the real world (Madden, FIFA, etc.) RL takes the opposite approach; it's a sports game designed as a video game first. You see this immediately with the car you control. RL doesn't have to try and replicate the movements of a human body in a video game because the human body isn't involved. Instead you control a car with a fairly basic moveset that involves actions like boosting, jumping, flipping, and steering. Again unlike other sports games, the movements and actions of your character (the car) have nothing to do with what's going on around you. There are no pre-canned animations like a diving catch, a fancy dribble move, or a lay-up that may or may not go in. The movement of the ball is independent from the movement of your car, and at the end of the day simple physics concepts reign supreme.

What this design approach adds up to is a game that is simple on the surface but incredibly intricate and complex underneath. Play the game for awhile and you'll quickly spot players performing actions that seem simply impossible given the basic controls, yet with enough time you'll be performing them yourself. The natural growth of skill and progression in RL is unlike any game I've ever played. There are no complicated rules, no mass of abilities to learn, no upgrades, no stats. Everything is right there for you to discover from the get go, all it takes is practice and a desire to learn. That's why RL is not only the best sports video game ever created, it's the best competitive multiplayer game I've ever played. I'm gushing at this point, but it's for good reason.

So all of that said, brace yourselves Switch-bros, you're in for a treat. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you suddenly struggle to play and complete any other games...

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I really hoped that there would be a physical release. But it seems like it is just going to be an eShop title.
The Psyonix guy said "We don't have anything to announce at this time RE: Physical version, but that's very different than "no physical version"." earlier in the thread. May show up down the line.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rocket League, let me give you a brief description of what makes it so special. Unlike traditional sports games that try to emulate sports in the real world (Madden, FIFA, etc.) RL takes the opposite approach; it's a sports game designed as a video game first. You see this immediately with the car you control. RL doesn't have to try and replicate the movements of a human body in a video game because the human body isn't involved. Instead you control a car with a fairly basic moveset that involves actions like boosting, jumping, flipping, and steering. Again unlike other sports games, the movements and actions of your character (the car) have nothing to do with what's going on around you. There are no pre-canned animations like a diving catch, a fancy dribble move, or a lay-up that may or may not go in. The movement of the ball is independent from the movement of your car, and at the end of the day simple physics concepts reign supreme.

What this design approach adds up to is a game that is simple on the surface but incredibly intricate and complex underneath. Play the game for awhile and you'll quickly spot players performing actions that seem simply impossible given the basic controls, yet with enough time you'll be performing them yourself. The natural growth of skill and progression in RL is unlike any game I've ever played. There are no complicated rules, no mass of abilities to learn, no upgrades, no stats. Everything is right there for you to discover from the get go, all it takes is practice and a desire to learn. That's why RL is not only the best sports video game ever created, it's the best competitive multiplayer game I've ever played. I'm gushing at this point, but it's for good reason.

So all of that said, brace yourselves Switch-bros, you're in for a treat. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you suddenly struggle to play and complete any other games...

This is a good post. Great overview of what makes this game great.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, still haven't picked up FE Warriors or Mario Odyssey yet, but it's alright. I'll just wait 'til the 10th for Doom. It's a lot, but I can wait to pick them al-

>Rocket League releases Nov. 14

WELP THERE GOES MY WALLET

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Literally 3 posts above yours...

Thanks. Less snark next time would be nice though.

I know everyone's tastes are different, but if you like sports games and/or solid online competition buying Rocket League is a no brainer

But that's really the thing. Not a big sports fan and a lot of multiplayer games give me real anxiety. I'd love to spend a week with it via Gamefly before throwing money at the game that I won't get back.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Will wait for reviews on performance undocked and how good single joycons are before getting this.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
But that's really the thing. Not a big sports fan and a lot of multiplayer games give me real anxiety. I'd love to spend a week with it via Gamefly before throwing money at the game that I won't get back.

Then I'd say probably a good idea to try this out prior to buying. Sounds like no real timeline on a physical version though, maybe a friend has or will get it?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the game uses dynamic resolution. You can see the lines around the ball and the stadium flicker when the match starts. Framerate in 2P mode looks really solid though!

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Less snark next time would be nice though.

no way snark ftw!

I'm gonna go ahead and say this game doesn't like your cup of tea. It's a heavily multiplayer focussed sports game that is wonderful but can also be incredibly frustrating especially when you start learning aerial shots.