• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ill be there, I just noticed all the 3rd party games coming out in ,november...woo boy

Oct 28, 2017
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rocket League, let me give you a brief description of what makes it so special. Unlike traditional sports games that try to emulate sports in the real world (Madden, FIFA, etc.) RL takes the opposite approach; it's a sports game designed as a video game first. You see this immediately with the car you control. RL doesn't have to try and replicate the movements of a human body in a video game because the human body isn't involved. Instead you control a car with a fairly basic moveset that involves actions like boosting, jumping, flipping, and steering. Again unlike other sports games, the movements and actions of your character (the car) have nothing to do with what's going on around you. There are no pre-canned animations like a diving catch, a fancy dribble move, or a lay-up that may or may not go in. The movement of the ball is independent from the movement of your car, and at the end of the day simple physics concepts reign supreme.

What this design approach adds up to is a game that is simple on the surface but incredibly intricate and complex underneath. Play the game for awhile and you'll quickly spot players performing actions that seem simply impossible given the basic controls, yet with enough time you'll be performing them yourself. The natural growth of skill and progression in RL is unlike any game I've ever played. There are no complicated rules, no mass of abilities to learn, no upgrades, no stats. Everything is right there for you to discover from the get go, all it takes is practice and a desire to learn. That's why RL is not only the best sports video game ever created, it's the best competitive multiplayer game I've ever played. I'm gushing at this point, but it's for good reason.

So all of that said, brace yourselves Switch-bros, you're in for a treat. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you suddenly struggle to play and complete any other games...

Thanks for the summary! Looking forward to trying this for the first time.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Rocket League, let me give you a brief description of what makes it so special. Unlike traditional sports games that try to emulate sports in the real world (Madden, FIFA, etc.) RL takes the opposite approach; it's a sports game designed as a video game first. You see this immediately with the car you control. RL doesn't have to try and replicate the movements of a human body in a video game because the human body isn't involved. Instead you control a car with a fairly basic moveset that involves actions like boosting, jumping, flipping, and steering. Again unlike other sports games, the movements and actions of your character (the car) have nothing to do with what's going on around you. There are no pre-canned animations like a diving catch, a fancy dribble move, or a lay-up that may or may not go in. The movement of the ball is independent from the movement of your car, and at the end of the day simple physics concepts reign supreme.

What this design approach adds up to is a game that is simple on the surface but incredibly intricate and complex underneath. Play the game for awhile and you'll quickly spot players performing actions that seem simply impossible given the basic controls, yet with enough time you'll be performing them yourself. The natural growth of skill and progression in RL is unlike any game I've ever played. There are no complicated rules, no mass of abilities to learn, no upgrades, no stats. Everything is right there for you to discover from the get go, all it takes is practice and a desire to learn. That's why RL is not only the best sports video game ever created, it's the best competitive multiplayer game I've ever played. I'm gushing at this point, but it's for good reason.

So all of that said, brace yourselves Switch-bros, you're in for a treat. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you suddenly struggle to play and complete any other games...
Pretty damn accurate.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will be my third Rocket League purchase, and I'm worried the convenience factor will take over my life.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
The only question I can't find an answer to is that are the dlc cars already available with the switch version? I already own the PS4 version and I don't want to buy any dlc if it already comes with the switch version. Also, I'm not sure if I want to double dip for the game. The only place I take my switch is on my university campus, but they don't allow video games online through their wifi, so I won't be playing online unless I'm home and I already have the PS4 version for that.

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm so gonna buy this game, i have it on Steam but don't play it much on the laptop.
Playing portable would be awesome and make me play the game a lot more.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
11-10 through 11-17 is just freaking bananas for third party Switch.

Really!
Not exactly a game changer situation due to them being old ports but seem all pretty big and interesting

Funny fact, they mostly are western third party from software house whose support have been unpredictable before the announcements

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we know the Gamecube adapter works on Switch, I wonder if we could use a Gamecube controller and get analog gas/brake (probably not).

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I'll be able to git gud at this version. I loved what I played on PS4, but never committed enough time to it. Hopefully having it on handheld means it'll get what it deserves.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Really!
Not exactly a game changer situation due to them being old ports but seem all pretty big and interesting

Funny fact, they mostly are western third party from software house whose support have been unpredictable before the announcements

LA Noire is Rockstar game releasing the same say than the PS4/XB1 version so that's somerthing.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of that earlier footage looked downgradeaton in visuals
Here's hoping it's much better

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, with Mario and now this I guess my wife is never playing Stardew Valley again.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Soo hyped for this

Rocket League is one of my most played games on ps4. Wanted it for switch since switch was announced.

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I've been waiting for the Switch release to finally get into this game. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a big hit. It looks smooth, so that's the main thing. Can't wait!

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will be huge for Switch. Portable Rocket League play will be perfect. Also playing local coop with my friends and classmates will be neat.

Got the game with PS + and it was very fun, it really fits on a Nintendo platform.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we can sign in with Steam and get connected with our Steam purchases and progress. Would hate to have to start all over but wouldn't mind if forced to.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see myself double-dipping on this as I never take my Switch on the go, but glad to see this reaching more platforms. Have they said whether or not trading will be added too? I am really curious to see how that market fares with all the extra hassle it is to group up on Switch.

Also, is someone going to make a Rocket League community thread?

Psyonix_Corey

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we can sign in with Steam and get connected with our Steam purchases and progress. Would hate to have to start all over but wouldn't mind if forced to.

Can't, sorry.

Purchase transferring are pretty much a never, not because of our preferences, but in general platform holders don't like for things to be purchasable outside of their ecosystem and then brought inside.

Progress being shared is a possibility we are going to look into alongside the Cross-Platform Friends and Party stuff we've been discussing. Not sure offhand what the restrictions are though.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I already own the game on PS4 and PC. Not strongly interested in the Switch as a console but goddamn now I can't stop thinking about the possibility of playing Rocket League everywhere... Switch impulse buy incoming?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really love RL, but I don't think I can double dip. I have already spent an embarrassingly amount of time with the PC version and it's not helping my backlog. I hope it sells well though. Psyonix deserves the success.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Goodbye-real-world.gif

I easily have over 150+ hours on Rocket League PS4 and I'm excited to have it on the switch!

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Oh man I really want to buy this day one but I simply don't have the time, October and November is pure madness, great game after great game

But fuck it, I'll grab it at launch, portable Rocket League is a must in my Switch catalogue

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't, sorry.

Purchase transferring are pretty much a never, not because of our preferences, but in general platform holders don't like for things to be purchasable outside of their ecosystem and then brought inside.

Progress being shared is a possibility we are going to look into alongside the Cross-Platform Friends and Party stuff we've been discussing. Not sure offhand what the restrictions are though.

Makes sense. It's also wonderful that progress being shared is a possibility. That's pretty wicked.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a time to be a Switch owner. Playing this in bed will be godly.

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I got this on Steam with my GTX 1060, but I haven't touched it. I think I'll try it on PC and then get it on Switch if I love it, since portability is vital.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Doom - Nov 10th
LA Noire - Nov 14th
Rocket League - Nov 14th
Rime - Nov 14th
Skyrim - Nov 17th

Busy week!

Wish they could spread these out a bit, although there should be a lot of consoles sold in November/December.

Skyrim & Rocket League will do well and I know a decent number of Nintendo fans are hyped for Doom. LA Noire's going to have an uphill fight.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely day one for me too. I love playing with friends, but that's all I've been able to do with RL to this point--this will allow me to actually practice in my free time. I can't wait.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Having Rocket League in a pick-up-and-play anywhere form factor has me seriously considering double-dipping for the Switch version.

It's already hard to tear myself from it when it's time to sleep. This is just gonna make it harder. Having it everywhere is gonna be good.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've played RL on PS4 already, but I'm definitely going to pick it up again to play with my housemates. All three of whom also own Switches, and are buying this.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League, DOOM, and The Resident Evil Revelations Collection are easy Day One purchases for me. All four are among my favorite games.

Curious to try Rime. Maybe Skyrim too, although not sure I want to invest that sort of time.

I'm sure Skyrim will sell just fine with or without my support. I wonder how LA Noire will do, though. I hope it's not the test for GTA.