• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I still bought the Rocket Pass and will by any future licensed cars I like. I'll probably but the white Dominus too cause that would been nearly 100 keys in the old system anyway. But those car and wheel prices aren't very worth it unless you get a white version.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I supported Psyonix from SARPBC through the Alpha of RL until now. I even created the biggest trading website for RL, but this is ridiculous. A game that costs 19.99 offers me cosmetic ingame items that are more expensive than the game itself? What a save!

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Completely forgot about this update, shame to learn about those insane prices for cosmetics (I'm not even gonna call them microtransactions anymore, I can buy actual games for these prices) but I guess that's what happens when a developer gets acquired by a publisher who has had great success with similarly prized cosmetics in one of the biggest games ever.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I'm willing to trade a pickle boost and a cockroach for a gold rush boost hit me up if interested

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I got home and checked RL after not playing in a while. I was excited for the Blueprints update, and well... I just checked those prices. It's a shame, but the crate system already pushed me off the game a lot, I think this is the nail in the coffin for my interest.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The pricing of items isn't really a surprise. They were acquired by Epic Games in May. Epic has proven time and time again that there's no true rhyme or reason for digital skin pricing, rather that you can just set the price of a cosmetic to $20 and people will line up to purchase it as early as possible to avoid FOMO.
I dobut much if any of this has anything to do with Epic. This update would have been in the works for a while and looking at Psyonix history rolling out big updates they have historically been slow. Pricing isn't too surprising too when again look at how they have handled micro transactions in recent times.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dobut much if any of this has anything to do with Epic. This update would have been in the works for a while and looking at Psyonix history rolling out big updates they have historically been slow. Pricing isn't too surprising too when again look at how they have handled micro transactions in recent times.

I wonder if the 18 month plan in purchasing Psyonix was to shift this eventually over to Epic Games Store as an exclusive F2P title and just let the money roll in from cosmetics. Hence the pricing. When you get an influx of new users who've never played they aren't really going to have much of an issue with the pricing, especially if you're crossing over with Fortnite players and running some cross-promotion stuff.

Who really knows though, I don't have the vitriol for Epic Games Store like many of this forum, it's just another store to buy games to me. They ARE pretty damn savvy though when it comes to their business models so nothing would surprise me. Eat the 20 dollar cost of the game and get a million new users who slowly chip more and more over years and years for different cosmetic items.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the 18 month plan in purchasing Psyonix was to shift this eventually over to Epic Games Store as an exclusive F2P title and just let the money roll in from cosmetics. Hence the pricing. When you get an influx of new users who've never played they aren't really going to have much of an issue with the pricing, especially if you're crossing over with Fortnite players and running some cross-promotion stuff.

Who really knows though, I don't have the vitriol for Epic Games Store like many of this forum, it's just another store to buy games to me. They ARE pretty damn savvy though when it comes to their business models so nothing would surprise me. Eat the 20 dollar cost of the game and get a million new users who slowly chip more and more over years and years for different cosmetic items.
As far as testing F2P business model Psyonix recently rollout the Chinese version of Rocket League as F2P. Of course this is primarily due to the that pricing model making sense for China but the point is they have been testing that for a while so as far has pricing and such they would know how to go about things.

Ultimately I do think that is the plan too for the future as it would make sense also for Psyonix because they don't want to really do sequels which aligns with Epic and how they are handling Fortnite as a game as a service.

To me Epic is just a easy scapegoat that can be used to possibly explain Psyonix actions but when I look at how crates/keys system was handled and think about how bad it would have be if trading didn't exist. Plus the fact that the crate/keys system should have really been retired after rocket pass was introduced. There current actions don't surprise me.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Did everyone get gifted those really rare (eggs?) Unlocks ? I dont know why I got them but I pulled 5 super rare items including 1 black market item. Pretty sweet. Not sure if it was from unused keys or decryptors but I'll take it.

I played with the new car from this season's pass. It's a bit... difficult to control. It's great but I dont think I can use it, i prefer the previous pass car.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Only blackmarket blueprint I got out of all those converted crates was Magma - the absolute shittiest BM of them all.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I caved and bought a goal explosion I really liked for 2000 credits. Now I feel dirty as fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, even blueprints are expensive to build.

Why doesn't this game have a marketplace that you can place items for trade on? Crazy.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
LOL this is embarrassing. Been playing this game since launch and its amazing to see how greedy they've gotten. It's also amazing how much money people will spend on cosmetics. I just focus on getting better and using what I unlock in drops. Cosmetics are nice and all, but not when you're paying $10+ for them and barely seeing them in a game.

Oct 27, 2017
LOL this is embarrassing. Been playing this game since launch and its amazing to see how greedy they've gotten. It's also amazing how much money people will spend on cosmetics. I just focus on getting better and using what I unlock in drops. Cosmetics are nice and all, but not when you're paying $10+ for them and barely seeing them in a game.
It proves that cosmetics do matter no matter how much people don't want to think they do.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I've put over 1,250 hours into the game, so spending a little money now and then for cosmetics I like, I feel is justified

Oct 27, 2017
They just seem to turn into an e-peen measuring contest. Like, nice cosmetics and all...but that won't fix why you can't get out of Plat 2
For some people sure, but I assume with the overwhelming majority it's just about expressing yourself. The systems in place right now with cosmetics costing an arm and a leg for many games leads to what you said though, since it becomes I got this expensive and rare cosmetic and you got the base game crap.

I've put over 1,250 hours into the game, so spending a little money now and then for cosmetics I like, I feel is justified
That's not an issue when prices are fair, which they never are. No item should be more that $1.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
For some people sure, but I assume with the overwhelming majority it's just about expressing yourself. The systems in place right now with cosmetics costing an arm and a leg for many games leads to what you said though, since it becomes I got this expensive and rare cosmetic and you got the base game crap.

That's not an issue when prices are fair, which they never are. No item should be more that $1.
Fair enough, I too like to express myself with the drops I get. But also like you said, those cosmetics should never cost more than $5 MAX in my opinion. Otherwise you're just preying on people who cant control themselves to pay you 50%-100% price of the game itself just for some dumb cosmetic.

I used to have the line of thinking that "I've played for over 1K hours, they totally deserve more of my money" but thats why I bought DLC. Crates and now blueprints are just greed at its best.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
i would have used or traded my keys if i knew this was going to be the new economy. wtf

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah last night I revealed my 523 blueprints... Not that I would have bought any, but I ended up with 0 black market ones.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Since the Blueprint Update release last week, we have pored over all of your comments on Discord, Reddit, Twitter, and beyond. We have heard your feedback that Item Shop and Blueprint pricing did not meet community expectations. After carefully reviewing all the data available to us, we're making the following changes, starting today:

ITEM PRICING REDUCTIONS
Reduced the base price ranges of Item Rarities (before attributes like Paint) to the following values:

• Most Paint Colors: 50-200 additional Credits
  • Burnt Sienna: 0 additional Credits
  • Titanium White: 100-500 additional Credits
  • Special Editions: 200-400 additional Credits
ITEM ATTRIBUTES
Paint and Special Editions now add less cost across the board, based on rarity:

• Most Paint Colors: 50-200 additional Credits
  • Burnt Sienna: 0 additional Credits
  • Titanium White: 100-500 additional Credits
  • Special Editions: 200-400 additional Credits

Occasionally, special items will have custom pricing that varies from the above guidelines.

For in-game purchases made between December 4 and December 11 (today) at 12:00 p.m. PST (8:00 p.m. UTC) we will add Credits equal to any difference in price directly to your account. For example, purchasers of Crimson Fennec will receive 500 Credits back today, as a Crimson Fennec now costs 700 instead of 1200 Credits. This price adjustment is a one-time only event, and only applies to purchases made between December 4 and December 11.

These Credit returns will be complete within the next few hours. There will be no in-game display explaining this change. Players with any questions or concerns about recent purchases may contact our Customer Care team.

We always take feedback from our passionate community seriously, and we hope that this change in pricing reflects that. As always, thank you for being part of what makes Rocket League what it is today.

To see what else is included in today's update, check out the patch notes here.

------------------------------------------Step in the right direction.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Yea jesus this is worst than i imagined.

The implication of the word "blueprint" is that you can gather material to build these things lmao
Not have to use real world money to buy it.

Jesus christ.