• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The Epic deal should give Psyonix more stability and resources, and possibly this will allow the game to finally have cross-progression like in Fortnite.

But if they make the MTXs and the grinding horrible like in Fortnite or turn it into F2P, I'm unsure if I'll keep on playing the game.

They were already pretty stable - popular GaaS title that is present and active on all major platforms - thats the kind of stability most devs would kill for.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were already pretty stable - popular GaaS title that is present and active on all major platforms - thats the kind of stability most devs would kill for.

Probably, but we don't know the numbers, maybe the actual income has been declining despite the player numbers. I don't fault Psyonix for accepting the Epic cash. However, there's a lot of ways this could go wrong. Rocket League could become a grindfest F2P. If the game starts losing steam (heh), they might divert the devs towards their favourite moneytrain Fortnite (like they've already done with Unreal Tournament and Paragon, and probably any other project that was greenlit and then forgotten once Fortnite because what it is today). Also, Epic is mandating devastating crunches, and hopefully Psyonix manages to dodge those. I have no doubts such a move will make the game more active in terms of updates, and Psyonix will have better tools: let's not forget they are now owned by the people who've made the game's engine. But there's also many possible scenarios in which the game actively becomes worse, just like Fortnite, where Epic is so concentrated on trying to mantain a hooked (grinding and paying) playerbase that it's literally their only motif, pushing all kinds of events and grinds just for the sake of mantaining those numbers while ignoring the glaring issues of the game (like, y'know, the fact the game's shooting is still fucking trash, and this is coming from a solid Fortnite player with three-digits of hours of gameplay).

Man, I'm not happy about this at all. I hope to be proven wrong, and that none of my fears materialize. But oof, man, oof.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, but we don't know the numbers, maybe the actual income has been declining despite the player numbers. I don't fault Psyonix for accepting the Epic cash. However, there's a lot of ways this could go wrong. Rocket League could become a grindfest F2P. If the game starts losing steam (heh), they might divert the devs towards their favourite moneytrain Fortnite (like they've already done with Unreal Tournament and Paragon, and probably any other project that was greenlit and then forgotten once Fortnite because what it is today). Also, Epic is mandating devastating crunches, and hopefully Psyonix manages to dodge those. I have no doubts such a move will make the game more active in terms of updates, and Psyonix will have better tools: let's not forget they are now owned by the people who've made the game's engine. But there's also many possible scenarios in which the game actively becomes worse, just like Fortnite, where Epic is so concentrated on trying to mantain a hooked (grinding and paying) playerbase that it's literally their only motif, pushing all kinds of events and grinds just for the sake of mantaining those numbers while ignoring the glaring issues of the game (like, y'know, the fact the game's shooting is still fucking trash, and this is coming from a solid Fortnite player with three-digits of hours of gameplay).

Man, I'm not happy about this at all. I hope to be proven wrong, and that none of my fears materialize. But oof, man, oof.

My guess - yes, it will go F2P and they will monetize more heavily ala Fortnite - maybe create a permanent rotating storefront for skins. With Epic owning them, they'll pocket %100 of the MTX fees, so f2p will be more viable. I always assumed that they would go F2P on Steam when the numbers declined enough, Epic just jumped in at the right moment.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess - yes, it will go F2P and they will monetize more heavily ala Fortnite - maybe create a permanent rotating storefront for skins. With Epic owning them, they'll pocket %100 of the MTX fees, so f2p will be more viable. I always assumed that they would go F2P on Steam when the numbers declined enough, Epic just jumped in at the right moment.

One of the reasons I'm still hooked to Rocket League is because the current progression system is pretty good. Yes, there's a lot of cosmetic DLCs and lootboxes, but the current passes are just perfect. Costs you 10 bucks the first time, then it has enough keys to buy the next ones. They feature TONS of quality items, including some of the best the game has ever seen (the special edition holo forges from last season are insane), and unlocking them is fast, smooth and fun. The pass even gives you a couple decryptors each season, so you get to open some crates "for free". I have not spent a cent on the game for a while now and I keep getting amazing content at a great pace, and while I'm normally against the player engagement schemes forcing you to play and log in frequently (see: playing 1 hour every day being more effective than 15 hours every 15 days), the way Psyonix implemented these systems is actually rewarding enough without having to grind your ass off or spend dozens of dollars every month to get the best items.

Fortnite is literally the opposite of this, and it's the main reason I don't play it anymore. If Rocket League becomes like that, that's when I'm quitting, thank you very much. Playing Fortnite as a "game" nowadays sucks ass because you have 80 players out of 100 just dropping into specific locations and doing weird ass challenges like collecting letters in the sky or ringing bells, then killing themselves and moving on. 70-80% of the players die within 3-4 minutes. That makes the actual Battle Royale aspect of it boring, alongside the fact the shooting is already terrible and that the building meta is admittedly something that got out of hand and they can't seem to undo it without angering the community. Rocket League already has a pretty toxic community as is, with tons of insults, quitters and hoarders. If they pull a Fortnite on the game, there will be even more hoarders, even more quitters, even more people not trying to win but just attempting to "solve" horrible challenges ("spend 2 minutes on the roof in a match", "score 10 goals while reversing", "destroy opponents 30 times in a match") actively hurting the game's enjoyability. I really, really hope Rocket League won't become like this, because Epic's biggest game is literally this, and it's worrying me.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite is literally the opposite of this, and it's the main reason I don't play it anymore. If Rocket League becomes like that, that's when I'm quitting, thank you very much. Playing Fortnite as a "game" nowadays sucks ass because you have 80 players out of 100 just dropping into specific locations and doing weird ass challenges like collecting letters in the sky or ringing bells, then killing themselves and moving on. 70-80% of the players die within 3-4 minutes. That makes the actual Battle Royale aspect of it boring, alongside the fact the shooting is already terrible and that the building meta is admittedly something that got out of hand and they can't seem to undo it without angering the community. Rocket League already has a pretty toxic community as is, with tons of insults, quitters and hoarders. If they pull a Fortnite on the game, there will be even more hoarders, even more quitters, even more people not trying to win but just attempting to "solve" horrible challenges ("spend 2 minutes on the roof in a match", "score 10 goals while reversing", "destroy opponents 30 times in a match") actively hurting the game's enjoyability. I really, really hope Rocket League won't become like this, because Epic's biggest game is literally this, and it's worrying me.

I mean, I understand your concern, but I can't see them doing this with the current structure - Psyonix have the metrics of what works and what doesn't. Not to say they won't alienate the veterans, but the game is going to need far more before they can start tacking on such garbage.

I do see them branching out the modes like Dropshot etc, to have even more of those, on a more regular/weekly basis. Maybe make them rotate - with Fortnite I realize its often about showcasing stuff for a limited period of time to compel people to play/buy. And agreed, Fortnite is hardly a BR game these days.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Epic wants another Esport and Rocket League esports scene is great and continues to grow. It's a simple game that does't need much in the way of changes just give the them more tools and support to do what they do. The game already has a rocket pass and esports shop very similar to fortnite but psyonix know making the weeklies something game changing just won't work for this game.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic wants another Esport and Rocket League esports scene is great and continues to grow. It's a simple game that does't need much in the way of changes just give the them more tools and support to do what they do. The game already has a rocket pass and esports shop very similar to fortnite but psyonix know making the weeklies something game changing just won't work for this game.

Let's hope this will be the case and I'm just worrying too much. For the time being, nothing changes for me: even if they drop an extra layel of Epic Games logos around, I don't mind. The game will obviously not mutate meaningfully (for better or worse) for a couple months at least. And indeed Epic and Psyonix must know what this fanbase wants and accepts, and they can't pull just any shit without some consequences. It's gonna stay my most played game by far for quite some time probably, not even a contest. Hopefully I won't have reasons to drop it because of the changes they implement.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a fan of this Pass, I think overall the loot is better than Pass 2. I was initially turned off by the challenges, but they aren't that difficult to achieve, and it is making me try different modes I haven't played in awhile.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Massive thanks to the double XP event for getting my pass to level 50 already! Gonna max it out pretty quick this time around.

Gotta love a last second comeback

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive thanks to the double XP event for getting my pass to level 50 already! Gonna max it out pretty quick this time around.

Gotta love a last second comeback

Great clip! And yeah, the double XP helped me a fair bit too, I'm currently on level 99, should probably get to 103-104 at least later today while the double XP lasts, which puts me on or close to 110 by the time week 4 starts. Going quick.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'm not a huge fan of this season is the special edition wheels: they are solid, but nowhere near as good as the holos from pass 2, which takes away a bit from the excitement of getting one.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Hit 70 - that was pretty quick, we're only into week3.

I have a feeling the next pass will slow things down a bit.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hit 70 - that was pretty quick, we're only into week3.

I have a feeling the next pass will slow things down a bit.

No kidding, I'm already on level 104. The extra challenges make the pass even faster than usual, and a double XP after less than 20 days of action means we're getting up there so damn quick. I love it because I can get tons of colours for specific items, which comes extremely handy when building cars with specific colours. Hopefully Epic's involvement won't mean that the pass gets dragged out like in Fortnite, where you need to play VERY consistently for at least 60-70% of the season to even have a chance to max out the pass, as opposed to RL where I'm almost done with the keys and it's like 3 weeks in out of 14.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Summer Roadmap

It's hard to believe that we're almost to the halfway mark of 2019, but believe it you should, because it means that we're ready for a brand new Roadmap that sheds some light on the new features and improvements we're bringing to the game over the next several months.

Of course, you've probably already read this month's "Epic News," which is why we also want to assure you (and the rest of our community) that Rocket League will continue to be shaped by the same development team that it always has even if our family is getting quite a bit bigger. The game will also continue to be fueled and inspired by the passion and feedback of our dedicated playerbase just as it was before.

With that in mind, let's take a closer look at what you can expect to see in the next few months of 2019!

SUMMER EVENT WITH LIMITED-TIME EVENTS

Next month, we will kick off the biggest in-game event that Rocket League has ever had, featuring several limited-time events. While the event on the whole will share the same in-game currency for items that can be redeemed inside the event store, the items found in the event store itself will change as we move through different points in the promotion; giving you more in-game items to earn than ever before.

We know that players can sometimes earn more event currency than they sometimes use, so we're addressing that by adding XP Level-Up Packs in the event store as well (a Rocket League first)! That means that players will be able to redeem event currency for XP Level-Up Packs that grant 10 Tier Points for Rocket Pass -- allowing you to boost your Rocket Pass Tiers in a super-fast and super-convenient way!

PARTY-UP SYSTEM, INVENTORY MANAGEMENT, AND TRADING

The community has been asking us for quicker ways to party-up with strangers following a good match. That functionality will be coming later this year. Soon, you'll be able to easily party-up with teammates from the post-game screen.

Inventories are growing too, and that calls for better ways to organize all of your in-game items. We're happy to say that additional inventory management tools will also be added via a future update.

Finally, one of our long-term goals for 2019 and beyond is to make a number of under-the-hood, quality-of-life updates to our trading system. We'll have more to share on that later this year.

RLCS SEASON 7 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP INCOMING!

The RLCS Season 7 World Championship at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ is just around the corner and tickets are selling fast. Get your tickets now to catch all the live action from the world's best Rocket League teams. Also, Competitive Season 10 ends on Monday, May 13, so make sure you fulfill your Season Reward Level wins at your rank to earn the appropriate goodies.

Stay tuned next month for the full reveal of our upcoming event. Plus, you can expect to see the aforementioned features (and more) later this year. For fans looking to find out more regarding what our acquisition by Epic Games means for Rocket League and Psyonix in the long-term -- there's nothing new to report just yet, but we'll keep you informed as soon as we have an update.

Oct 27, 2017
Quality of life trading improvements doesn't include cross platform does it?

I think that's a dream that will never come true but I want my TW octane that I have on PS4, where I never play, on my PC account, dangit.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad they're improving the inventory stuff, as it's been broken for a long time. Sorting by most recent to try to find the most recent drops I've gotten has not worked for months, so I lose track of new stuff unless it's certified to make it stand out more easily.

I'd also love a way to remove or trade-in items that are untradeable, as I've got duplicates of some banners for some reason and I'd like to not have a 2 or 3 next to its pic affecting my gaming inventory OCD. A way to put items up on a trading block for others that are online to make trade offers would be nice, as well.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Updates sound great, hopefully we'll be able to sort, tag, hide, block, etc. items in the inventory. The best thing would be having a sub-menu for every named item, which then you could customize by clicking on the different colours, certified tags, or add the special edition attribute if it has one. Due to the passes there's items I have like 20 different versions which take tons of space - this would be an elegant solution to handle them.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, are the rewards from level 71 onwards completely rng based, or will everyone get the same up to level 90?
For example, my level 71 reward was a saffron version of the force razor ii goal explosion. Will everyone get that for level 71 or is it completely random?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
is there a trick to redirecting shots into goal while sitting on the backboard wall? in theory i get it, just can never get the timing right.
Play competitive with pros for 1500 hours.
(Get a feel for it, I score it the majority of the time now, but I also score doubles almost all gcs bot 90% of the time so who knows, its all in the timing and the way you fly for it)

Youre probs bad at it because no ones going to pass it to you there in shit lobbies, most gcs hate passing that.

Oct 28, 2017
Yo. I haven't played this game in over a year. Now that I have Nintendo Online I figured I'd hop back in.

Now I remember why this became my favourite game of all time! Changes have been made since I last played. Are the extra game modes ranked now?! Is ranked hoops really a thing? Please tell me ranked hoops is a thing.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yo. I haven't played this game in over a year. Now that I have Nintendo Online I figured I'd hop back in.

Now I remember why this became my favourite game of all time! Changes have been made since I last played. Are the extra game modes ranked now?! Is ranked hoops really a thing? Please tell me ranked hoops is a thing.
All extra modes are ranked yes. I get all my ranking done in Rumble. It's easier and less sweaty than standard ranked.

Oct 28, 2017
All extra modes are ranked yes. I get all my ranking done in Rumble. It's easier and less sweaty than standard ranked.
Back when I was in my Rocket League prime addiction this is something I was begging for. Wow. Has these becoming ranked increased the population for lesser played modes? Do people actually play Snow Day now? Because that would be cool.

Also, how long has the game mode with the funky stage designs been gone? Will it ever return? Because I loved that. I was already upset enough when certain stages got removed from that mode, but now the entire mode is gone. Such a shame that was cool.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Back when I was in my Rocket League prime addiction this is something I was begging for. Wow. Has these becoming ranked increased the population for lesser played modes? Do people actually play Snow Day now? Because that would be cool.

Also, how long has the game mode with the funky stage designs been gone? Will it ever return? Because I loved that. I was already upset enough when certain stages got removed from that mode, but now the entire mode is gone. Such a shame that was cool.
Each of them seem to be around 2k at most times.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

The mode is gone cause it was dead but they use those maps in Rumble. Well some of them and it's really fun when they come up.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I think the servers are going down? I finished a match with about 450 points and it told me I didn't have enough to get XP bonuses. Then trying to get back into a match gave me a server error. Now the shop/rocket pass parts of the menus are gone.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to earn 3 special edition wheels in the first 17 levels or so past level 70. In the next 65 levels, I earned 0 specials. Insane.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
welcome to my world muahhahaha

i already got some orange holos this time around (i'm at lvl100 so far)

may the rng gods bless me

Am I mistaken in thinking that special editions should be more likely as time goes by? I mean, once I have every single "regular" coloured version of the various items coming up, since there are no duplicates until there's different content available, would mean that the specials come out more and more once I'm done with the rest? Or the special chance calculation done regardless of the duplicates? I wonder.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Am I mistaken in thinking that special editions should be more likely as time goes by? I mean, once I have every single "regular" coloured version of the various items coming up, since there are no duplicates until there's different content available, would mean that the specials come out more and more once I'm done with the rest? Or the special chance calculation done regardless of the duplicates? I wonder.

I dunno, but I got pretty high up last season (170?) and I got 3-4 special editions

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, but I got pretty high up last season (170?) and I got 3-4 special editions

I got 13 last season but I have not finished all the "regular" painted items, so I wouldn't know if the odds changed dramatically. Right now I'm around level 150 so there's decent chances of finishing everything come the end of the season, we'll see if the specials come more frequently or not. Considering certain items have, in theory, 25% chance of dropping a special, it's quite insane I may go 70 levels in a row without one.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to run out of items to drop? I'm guessing dupes will start once you've cleared everything

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to run out of items to drop? I'm guessing dupes will start once you've cleared everything

That is what I assume, you probably start getting duplicates of items you own. I do wonder, however, whether you first earn all the missing specials, or those still remain on a 25% chance while you're already getting dupes. At this rate I may finish this season at level 350-400 or something so... maybe we'll see, haha.

iosa

Oct 27, 2017
Toulouse, France
SE items are not guaranted to drop and I believe drop rate never change so you'll have the same odds if you're 71 or 300.

Normal items are guaranted to not have a duplicate until you get them all.