• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Rocket Pass Site
On this website you can see all items and read a FAQ.

Rocket Pass, our new time-limited progression system, is another important part of our Summer Roadmap and it's now only days away! Starting at 10 am PDT on September 5 (1pm EDT, 7pm CEST) Rocket Pass will be live on all platforms. We'll be counting down the days in-game -- so keep an eye on the in-game blog and news ticker -- and you can get a full rundown on Rocket Pass and the Premium Upgrade here on the landing page.

rl_hero_maverick_tiers-1920.jpg

FAQ:
  • WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO START EARNING ROCKET PASS REWARDS?
    Nothing! Just play the game online to earn free rewards. You can purchase Premium at any time for additional items and you'll automatically receive the Premium rewards for every tier up to your current one.
  • WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ROCKET PASS ENDS?
    You'll keep all Free and Premium rewards you've earned from this Rocket Pass. When the next Rocket Pass begins, all players start at Tier 1.
  • HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO UNLOCK EVERY TIER IN ROCKET PASS?
    We estimate that Rocket Pass will take about 100 hours to complete, excluding Pro Tiers. This will vary depending on what else is going on when you're playing -- Double XP weekends, etc.
  • HOW DO PRO TIER REWARDS WORK?
    Each Pro Tier contains one random Painted or Certified item from a select list of Premium Rocket Pass rewards. You won't receive the same exact item and attribute combination twice until you've unlocked the full set of Paint colors and Certifications for each eligible customization item.
  • DO ROCKET PASS REWARDS AFFECT MY COMPETITIVE EXPERIENCE?
    No, all Rocket Pass items are purely cosmetic and don't affect gameplay or offer anyone a competitive advantage! They're intended as a fun addition - for personalizing your Battle-Car, and showing off a little on the pitch.
  • WILL EVERY ROCKET PASS ITEM DROP AS PAINTED OR CERTIFIED PRO TIER REWARDS?
    No. Only a select list of items will be available from Pro Tiers, which are chosen from the best Premium rewards from the Pass.
  • CAN YOU PURCHASE SINGLE OR MULTIPLE TIERS?
    Yes, you can purchase a single Tier or bundles of Tiers using keys. There are three bundles offered.
  • WILL HIGH-LEVEL PLAYERS EARN PASS TIERS MORE SLOWLY BECAUSE THEIR LEVELS TAKE LONGER?
    Nope! As part of the Progression updates we've recently made, Levels 20 and onward require the same amount of experience. Level 30 will take just as long as Level 300. So you won't be at any disadvantage if you've played more than someone else.
  • WILL ROCKET PASS INCLUDE QUESTS OR CHALLENGES AS PART OF ITS LEVELING SYSTEM?
    There won't be any gameplay challenges in the first Rocket Pass, but we are considering safe ways to give players specific goals in future Passes
  • CAN I UNLOCK CRATES IN ROCKET PASS?
    Crates are not available, but you can acquire Decryptors as Free Rewards. You can also earn Keys with the Premium upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool. I could see this pulling me back in.
I still play daily for fun at nearly 3k hours. Now they are going to give me more incentive? My goodness. I think my favorite part of this pass will be that you just play and level up. As cool as Fortnites pass was at first it became a chore eventually and I would only play to do weekly challenges that became more and more annoying.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
10 keys for the pass and if you complete the pass you only earn 6 keys back? I'd prefer you could get all 10 keys back if you hit all the tiers. Will probably give the first pass a try but doubt I'll hit max tier.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
You know I got Rocket League at launch and have yet to pay a single dollar towards it thanks to it being free on PS Plus.. I think I'm up to 500 hours or so.

I should really support them and pick up that Premium Rocket Pass, lol

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Also, can anyone direct me towards a good FAQ on like...crates/trading/differences between decryptors/keys? Never really bothered with that stuff. Would like to give it a spin.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
10 keys for the pass and if you complete the pass you only earn 6 keys back? I'd prefer you could get all 10 keys back if you hit all the tiers. Will probably give the first pass a try but doubt I'll hit max tier.
Well you'll also get new cars, tires and other stuff that's worth at least 4+ keys combined.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
WILL ROCKET PASS INCLUDE QUESTS OR CHALLENGES AS PART OF ITS LEVELING SYSTEM?
There won't be any gameplay challenges in the first Rocket Pass, but we are considering safe ways to give players specific goals in future Passes

I'm sure they know this but I really hope they don't go the fortnite route. Those challenges are a huge drag. I just want to be able to play the game and level up without worrying about needing to play a way i normally would not.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent so little money on RL that I'll probably do these at least once, as I play almost every day.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they know this but I really hope they don't go the fortnite route. Those challenges are a huge drag. I just want to be able to play the game and level up without worrying about needing to play a way i normally would not.

This, plus the last thing the game needs is specific challenges to encourage people unusual plays. Let's say there is a challenge for upside down backwards goals - I'd be rather pissed if my teammate missed an easy goal from my assist because he was trying to do an MLG trick to get some bonus in the pass.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I really liked the Fornite method (gameplay challenges) at first because it kept me trying new and different things when I played. After a few passes I'm tired of it though. I realised that I wasn't playing the game because I enjoyed the BR match/gameplay, I was playing just to clear challenges. I've really soured on Fornite in the last few weeks. I don't think it'd have anywhere near the volume of people playing if it wasn't for the carrot-on-stick Battle Pass shit. The actual moment to moment gameplay isn't actually that good.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely in for the premium on this one. Been waiting for this update forever, and it looks like a good amount of cool stuff to unlock.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
Having to play 100 hours in 2 months to complete the pass kinda makes me feel like I probably won't get my money's worth. Seems kinda grindy. In for the free pass though, however far I get.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would happily support this kind of aesthetics micro transaction. Loot boxes are atrocious methods of funding without means of directly purchasing items based on their rarity, and this is too wonderful of a game to be sullied by it.

This system is far more ethical, and I am happy to subscribe to this just as I happily buy their car packs.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
There are additional keys in the Pro Tiers beyond 70.
Good to know, didnt see that on the site so maybe i just missed that?
Good thing you don't have a vERAfied tag :(

RIP ickingfudiot
oh no, what happened to ickingfudiot?

Well you'll also get new cars, tires and other stuff that's worth at least 4+ keys combined.
I'm not big on the whole trading scene, i've only traded once and it was because i got titanium white Apex back in january and what i got in return was well worth the hassle.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Put me in the "no thanks" camp. Can't get down with a pass in a payed game with a shitty microtransactions model. Just pushed past what I can deal with.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Having to play 100 hours in 2 months to complete the pass kinda makes me feel like I probably won't get my money's worth. Seems kinda grindy. In for the free pass though, however far I get.
it's like 2 hours a night for 2 months which seems fair, but maybe if it was only like 75 hours it would be better. if i only played RL or was grinding ladder, 100 hours would fly by, but as someone who just wants to play casually? it feels like work. this past week I've been grinding Overwatch, Destiny, and started getting back into RL. i only got so many hours in a day after work to play.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
:\

I hate these systems. Still love RL, but all this monetization rubs me the wrong way.

The alternative is to stop development of the game and in a near future shut down the online servers. Keeping a game alive costs a lot of money. Especially a popular one like Rocket League with huge server-cluster requirements. And they seem to put in a lot of development hours into the game still.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
No way I can put in 100 hours per season. Still for the cost of 10 keys I'll probably still get a pass and just do my best.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The alternative is to stop development of the game and in a near future shut down the online servers. Keeping a game alive costs a lot of money. Especially a popular one like Rocket League with huge server-cluster requirements. And they seem to put in a lot of development hours into the game still.
That's BS they don't need this they doing exceptionally well financial wise just before, game selling well continuously on all 4 platforms, dlc and microtransactions etc also doing very well and keep getting partnerships with big brands like Batman, Fast and Furious etcetc much more and in big tournaments etc. Just no they are more than fine and always will be.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100 hours seems insane to me, but what do I know?

I'd probably easily throw down the 10 bucks if the time-sink was just a couple tiers a night playing for an hour.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
The actual rewards kinda suck compared to what Fortnite offers, at least if you get to a certain point into that one you get enough vbucks to pay for the next pass. Mind you it always pissed me off that they hid import cars behind loot boxes so I'm not sure what I expected.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
100 hours is ridiculous, intentionally putting it out of reach for most people. Can you get the next Rocket Pass free after a certain point of play like in Fortnite?

Also, any roadmap on the removal of crates/loot boxes?

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, for sure. And Rocket Pass doesn't strike me as poorly as Loot Boxes, a practice that still strikes me as a way to introduce kids to gambling. Again, it's not for me, but I can appreciate the necessity of some sort of monetization in Games as Service.

Oct 27, 2017
100 hours is way too much. I get that it's not designed for everybody to get there but you should be able to without dedicating your while week to it.

I'm in regardless. Rocket League is life