• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Infernostew

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So will Rocksmith actually help you learn to play the guitar? I've been debating taking lessons but money is a little tight, wondering if this would help if supplemented with random online lessons from a place like justin guitar.
Yes. I only had a guitar and knew only a hand full of chord shapes through Justin Guitar before Rocksmith. You have to put in the work and practice outside the game but it worked for me.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So will Rocksmith actually help you learn to play the guitar? I've been debating taking lessons but money is a little tight, wondering if this would help if supplemented with random online lessons from a place like justin guitar.
Rocksmith is a really fun way to practice. The lessons aren't great, IMO. I already knew how to play when I started RS. I learnt from tabs. Nowadays I never look at tabs, but I still enjoy RS.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, there's lessons built in and the cost of entry is lower than it's ever been now, so definitely worth a try in your case.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Rocksmith is a really fun way to practice. The lessons aren't great, IMO. I already knew how to play when I started RS. I learnt from tabs. Nowadays I never look at tabs, but I still enjoy RS.
Yes, there's lessons built in and the cost of entry is lower than it's ever been now, so definitely worth a try in your case.

Thank you both for your thoughts! I might download it, can I use any USB guitar cable or do I need to track down the official Rocksmith real tone cable?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Once I get my job and schedule situation sorted I want to take actual lessons and maybe just use RS for some practice on the side. RS doesn't really teach any sort of music theory, and it can't recognize or correct fundamental playing issues. All it can really do is tell you if you're hitting the right note at the right time, but there's more to playing guitar than that.

Some people could probably supplement it with just some online videos in place of actual lessons. I'm normally one of those people, but with guitar I'd rather have the actual interaction to identify issues and help build on weak points.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you both for your thoughts! I might download it, can I use any USB guitar cable or do I need to track down the official Rocksmith real tone cable?

You need the real tone cable. There may be a work around if you have an audio interface going into a PC (if that's your platform), maybe a PC player can chime in?

More exercise DLC next week. Why didn't they just bundle all of these together?

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I bought this for very cheap at an Xbox sale some days ago, planning to return to guitar playing. I eventually found out that the Real Tone Cable is relatively expensive (circa $80) in my country (Argentina), so I must consider it carefully. Even the vanilla selection of songs blew me away, so I think I will ultimately jump in...

Any advices?
Any generic / clone cable potentially useful if playing on a console?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got the guitar today. Double the rocksmith sessions now.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Time to get ADVANCED. Next week is Advanced Exercises Vol 01 from Greg Studley and the Notetrackers

Holy shit! The timing is perfect for me. I've started hitting up YouTube for more bass techniques and drills lately . Trying to setup slap regiments, hammer o. Pull off stuff and harmonic exercises has been a sorta mixed bag of videos for me. Super eager for this.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just found something out trying to finally get to play the guitar while the family is asleep (had folks staying over right as it came in).

Setup my new profile for guitar even though I'd been playing bass a good while and turned down the speakers on my computer so as not to wake anyone. Got up nice and early so I could finally try this thing out. Tried not to get too loud but made it through calibration and didn't really need to adjust tuning much with the fine tuners since it'd just been setup at purchase for me and had locking nut stuff to save me from that.

Then I noticed something after blowing through the opening missions so I could start practice and test running songs...the lower frets 5 thru 1 on the E string often wouldn't detect. I know I play bass but I was not hard jamming on those frets which I know can make the game's detection say "miss" if you fret too hard. Also I know my intonation isn't needing reset. It'd just come from the shop! I even double checked by playing the 12th fret and checking the saddle and it all sounded right.

It was giving me only like....5 notes in a row. Almost every low fretted E string would fail.

I had an idea and tried something. The only thing different is that for once I'm playing low volume and was strumming gently on setup since folks are asleep right now. I popped headphones on (which suck. Fuck that cable getting in my way but whatever. Science time)...and then proceeded to redo calibration and setup strumming hard as I usually do.

Suddenly it all worked.

TLDR PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Word of advice...if you calibrate or tune plucking or strumming gently then the game will set the intonation on note detection ULTRA LOW. It'll do shit like every time you retune for new songs stuff like showing the E string shoot up to +999 every time before settling out. What it seems like it does in game is if you tuned gently and then played at normal to even hard strums the harder strumming makes it read your intonation too far off to detect the note and it'll generally say "miss" even if you were on the fret. Fretting too hard will cause this to happen too (which I learned early on bass. Dont crush or you'll read high), but if you gently play to tune or calibrate and then go normal to hard on the lower frets of the E string it'll do this if you were so low it set intonation too low. So instead of playing with your saddles and plucking the 12th fret and making adjustments for intonation just make sure when it say "PLAY LOUD!" you play loud. They put that there to insure not detection works properly. Recalibrating then retuning at harder strumming fixed my detection and now I can enjoy my guitar and the game telling me that my stupid bass playing ass is awful at chording and only good on lead lol.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I play with headphones all the time. I also use a pitch shifter for playing alternately tuned songs, and it would probably sound very odd/bad if I could hear the actual notes, and the pitch shifted ones.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I play PC on Steam, which has uPlay stripped out of it. Is there a specific uPlay version?
I'm not sure. I've been wanting to get back into this but my PS3 seems like it has a hard time with RS so I'm looking for alternatives.
I presume you can use the PS3's USB cable for the Steam version, yeah? Have you used any other version other than Steam?

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure. I've been wanting to get back into this but my PS3 seems like it has a hard time with RS so I'm looking for alternatives.
I presume you can use the PS3's USB cable for the Steam version, yeah? Have you used any other version other than Steam?
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the Steam version is the only version.

The RealTone cable is universal, so you can use the same cable. Additionally, there are thousands upon thousands of freely available custom songs available for PC players. It really makes it the best platform for this game.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the Steam version is the only version.

The RealTone cable is universal, so you can use the same cable. Additionally, there are thousands upon thousands of freely available custom songs available for PC players. It really makes it the best platform for this game.
1,000s of free songs? Is that something that is an option in the PC version or you add manually or?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
1,000s of free songs? Is that something that is an option in the PC version or you add manually or?
IIRC you just add a custom DLL into the Rocksmith install folder, buy the Cherub Rock DLC (CDLC uses its ID to appear in-game), and you're set. From there you just download the songs you want from CustomsForge (don't know if there is another site for them) and put them in the Rocksmith DLC folder. You can use subfolders to keep the custom DLC sorted from the official DLC you buy.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
IIRC you just add a custom DLL into the Rocksmith install folder, buy the Cherub Rock DLC (CDLC uses its ID to appear in-game), and you're set. From there you just download the songs you want from CustomsForge (don't know if there is another site for them) and put them in the Rocksmith DLC folder. You can use subfolders to keep the custom DLC sorted from the official DLC you buy.
Thx :D I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend now. (Besides Cherub Rock is a good song.)

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got to sit down, recalibrate and finally settle into a good long intro session on guitar for Rocksmith. My time on bass aided me well. I navigate the neck pretty well now so I didn't get completely lost. My brain apparently tells itself blue and orange mean "strings on the end' instead of "third and fourth strings' so thats a small mental hurdle that kept tripping me up outta habit lol. Chords? The fuck are chords? I play bass.
*failfailfailfailfail*
Oh thats a chord lol

So yeah chording went a bout as well as expected. Went into riff repeater on knights of cydonia to try and get my hands used to the shape of that chord progression since its one where you dont change shape just move the hand around the frets in that pose. Did some instructional chord 101, 201 etc sorta stuff and the Chord Star game since I never had that option before in Guitarcade. Pretty fun stuff. Surprisingly I enjoy chord moving a lot! I gotta long way to familiarize myself on hand shapes but I remember years ago with the piece of shit guitar lessons I'd gotten from a local shop that it was boring as fuck before. All that dude ever taught me was a single blues scale and power/bar chords so no wonder I hated that dude honestly. Thank Ubisoft for Rocksmith. Way more comprehensive lessons here and I can spend more than 30 minutes at a time on it for the price of admission unlike the store dude's lessons.

Anyhow, life goals are doin a lot of chord progression stuff up and down the neck and moving those shapes across to the other strings and string skipping back and forth on the neck in general to acquaint myself with the narrow gaps between the strings and extra strings I aint used to yet.

Also I gotta say you can have way more fun with selecting a tone by song on a guitar than bass. Soooooooo many equalizer and amp setups in there compared to the tones bass guys usually have. Really has me excited to go into session mode.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
We've reached the bottom of the barrel folks! Next week is a WWE theme pack featuring The Rock, Steve Austin and Chris Jericho's themes.

And there I was with high hopes on the day TOOL made it to streaming.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
We've reached the bottom of the barrel folks! Next week is a WWE theme pack featuring The Rock, Steve Austin and Chris Jericho's themes.

And there I was with high hopes on the day TOOL made it to streaming.
Well...at least Jericho had a rage against the machine track. Best tune my bass to drop d for this. I kinda feel like I am a real American would sell more than these even though Hogan became a tool.

toymachinesh

Oct 27, 2017

Here are your August 2019 Newsletter hints!

4oz9ZCj.jpg

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Stone Cold ET is EXTREMELY happy about this pack coming out. Excellent...

Also, I will be incredibly excited if Innuendo is Queen. I've wanted that song so badly in Rocksmith.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Gary Moore is great but I know I can't come close to playing that DLC. That's one for the "someday in the distant future" pile.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Next week - Women Who Rock Pack 2 (yay!) featuring the Go-Gos (ffs). Hopefully the remaining two tracks aren't Paramore.