• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Googled the middle. Your right , I have heard that song before. Tried sweetness after that. Hard pass.

Glad you are stoked though

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, I'd take a few day delay over an extra three weeks for a guitar I ordered Oct 1st!

Next week, Alice Cooper three pack including School's Out. I'm not ashamed to admit I want 80's cheese-fest Poison and Generation Landslide.

OP
OP
Infernostew

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
giphy.gif

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure RS Twitter just cocked up their Alice Cooper reference for the week and quite possibly spoiled an upcoming Rolling Stones pack featuring Sympathy for the Devil...

Now they've corrected their mistake, Billion Dollar Babies is confirmed as the second track in the pack.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in for the Stones. Gimme Shelter and Miss You please... oh and Brown Sugar. It can't fail as a classic rock pack, really.

It's odd that we've waited this long for a full pack, given they've been in RS since the very start (the tutorial in RS1 was built around I Can't Get No Satisfaction, in fact). If this isn't the last pack of the year, I wonder what that will be - maybe the Nirvana pack, or maybe one of those elusive big bands that Ubi is too tight to pay for has struggled to license.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see:

1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking - RS please don't make me beg
2. Tumbling Dice
3. Honkey Tonk Women
4. Gimme Shelter

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Hey guys,
Just heard about this game and am interested. I am a beginner/intermediate guitar player with an electric-acoustic guitar (but have access to a friend's electric). Will this help me improve? Is my guitar okay for at least the start? I am not a big metal guy but want to get better at chords/picking/technique, etc. How is the PS4 version?

Thanks!

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Kiro, welcome to the fold.

RS2014 also supports USB mics for use with acoustics, if that's any use to you. I don't use my acoustic with it (it's a regrettable Fender purchase with an uncomfortably high action) but others here may be able to chime in.

The PS4 version isn't without its faults - in fact, RS2014 is a last gen port, so there's been issues across all versions as far as i'm aware. PS4 has an annoying click/pop sound bug that Ubisoft pretends doesn't exist. There is a workaround (restart PS4, don't plug the cable in until the 'enumarating DLC' prompt has disappeared from the top right of the screen). Keep that in mind whenever booting up and you should have a good time.

You've also got years of DLC at your disposal, and the game includes lessons (great) and a 'Guitarcade' (garbage). There's also a mode where you can mess with the FX, have a backing track play and noodle to your heart's content.

If you have access to a PS3, it's worth getting hold of the original disc as installing it will give you access to a pack of songs from that game for you to transfer to 2014.

Good luck, we're here if you need us! There's only a small group here, but we'll keep you up to date with the weekly DLC (Alice Cooper this week and a Rolling Stones pack this side of Christmas) and general RS/music banter. Toymachine runs the website The Riff Repeater as well, which is a useful resource for keeping track of all things 'smith that also produces video playthroughs of the DLC as it becomes available.

Edit - I see the Alice DLC is delayed on PS4 in the EU [rolls eyes]

Last edited:

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys - is there any difference in how Rocksmith works on the 1X vs the OG Xbox One? Does the greater power help with lag reduction etc?

I'm not sure, however I currently run it on a Pro, having upgraded from the PS4 'amateur' and I 've noticed no difference whatsoever. I don't believe they've patched in any particular support for either the Pro or the 1X, but someone else might know differently.

As it's essentially a last gen game and already ran at 60fps, you should be golden. Stereo output via optical cable is still the best option for lag reduction.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm not sure, however I currently run it on a Pro, having upgraded from the PS4 'amateur' and I 've noticed no difference whatsoever. I don't believe they've patched in any particular support for either the Pro or the 1X, but someone else might know differently.

As it's essentially a last gen game and already ran at 60fps, you should be golden. Stereo output via optical cable is still the best option for lag reduction.

Thanks. I have my 1X hooked up to my Marantz NR1608 AVR.. Should i expect to see lag because of the pass through? What would be the most lag free way to setup with an AVR in between?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I have my 1X hooked up to my Marantz NR1608 AVR.. Should i expect to see lag because of the pass through? What would be the most lag free way to setup with an AVR in between?
For whatever reason, carrying the audio via HDMI is incredibly laggy (at least nearly unplayable for me).

I am on PS4 Pro and I haven't found any good way to play besides headphones, where I do not perceive any audio delay from when I pluck the guitar to when I hear it. I can't use my AVR at all, even on direct (low latency) mode. My Bluetooth headphones work perfectly. I wish I could play so others could hear it.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
For whatever reason, carrying the audio via HDMI is incredibly laggy (at least nearly unplayable for me).

I am on PS4 Pro and I haven't found any good way to play besides headphones, where I do not perceive any audio delay from when I pluck the guitar to when I hear it. I can't use my AVR at all, even on direct (low latency) mode. My Bluetooth headphones work perfectly. I wish I could play so others could hear it.

Damn. :( Thanks for the feedback though.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. :( Thanks for the feedback though.
I think the 1X has an optical audio port. If so, run that directly to the AVR. PS4 Pro dropped the optical audio out.

Also, some people may be less sensitive to this, but it drives me nuts and I hear it all over the Rockmith lets plays on youtube, etc.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I think the 1X has an optical audio port. If so, run that directly to the AVR. PS4 Pro dropped the optical audio out.

Also, some people may be less sensitive to this, but it drives me nuts and I hear it all over the Rockmith lets plays on youtube, etc.

PS4 Slim dropped the optical, the Pro has one. When my launch PS4 died I paid the extra cash for the Pro just because of the optical port (I'm still in the dark ages with a 1080p set so 4K wasn't a factor).

Have you tried using your TV in PC mode to eliminate the lag, III-V?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Slim dropped the optical, the Pro has one. When my launch PS4 died I paid the extra cash for the Pro just because of the optical port (I'm still in the dark ages with a 1080p set so 4K wasn't a factor).

Have you tried using your TV in PC mode to eliminate the lag, III-V?
Yes I am using a gaming monitor for this one in fact. But the monitor has no speakers, so I have to run the audio to a sound bar. For some reason I thought both the pro and the slim dropped the optical port though.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
And our penultimate pack of the year, usually a big one, something exciting before the holiday, one we always look forward to and speculate about is...

Five Finger Death Punch?

Huh. See you next week for the Stones then.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Alice Cooper pack still not live on EU PSN. Why am I not surprised. I want to play Poison, dammit.

Oh wow, just checked out FFDP via Toy's TRR link. What a load of total shite, how the hell did that make the top 40 requests? Far worse than I ever expected.

Martal

Nov 10, 2017
Hey all, another guitar zero looking to become a Guitar Hero. Two questions, any tips on how to avoid losing motivation? I seem to be able to work on the guitar for a bout a month and then it just becomes too overwhelming. Secondly, anyone have some suggestions for good beginner songs on Rocksmith? I have tried Blitzkrieg Pop, thats quite OK. I can manage, but it makes my hand hurt. I also like What I Got, I can do the riff but the chords are difficult. I think I have Icky Thump down, but it just sounds messy and super amateur-ish.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, another guitar zero looking to become a Guitar Hero. Two questions, any tips on how to avoid losing motivation? I seem to be able to work on the guitar for a bout a month and then it just becomes too overwhelming. Secondly, anyone have some suggestions for good beginner songs on Rocksmith? I have tried Blitzkrieg Pop, thats quite OK. I can manage, but it makes my hand hurt. I also like What I Got, I can do the riff but the chords are difficult. I think I have Icky Thump down, but it just sounds messy and super amateur-ish.

If you can get your hands on the OG Rocksmith songs (you'll need access to a last gen console or be on PC) there's some relatively easy but fun tracks in there such as Black Keys - 'Next Girl', Stone Temple Pilots - 'Vasoline' and Dead Weather's 'I Can't Hear You'. Rhythm guitar mode is your friend if you're trying to keep things simple. Also, it's worth favourite-marking the tracks you like, so you can hide the guff and not waste time skipping tracks you dislike in non-stop play mode.

Martal

Nov 10, 2017
Excellent! Thanks man. What about guitar exercises? I feel like I am super slow and imprecise and I dont know if I should do something like practice riff and chord changes, going really slow, OR if I should try and strengthen my fingers.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Practice your chords a lot. Make sure they sound good. Stick with rhythm most of the time until you find yourself wanting to fill in the blanks in between chords. Speed comes with time, as does your strength. Practice major and minor bar chords and think about the chord progression and the notes as you play. Try to think about and remember what a note sounds like.

How does a chord sound when you play it slow, one note at a time?

Keep your guitar clean, and in tune. Purchase a really good tuner that you can use all the time. Get it (the guitar) set-up or watch some videos to set it up yourself so it (the action) feels good.

Keep your guitar around so you are very likely to pick it up. Noodling is ok. Most importantly have fun.

Last edited:

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017

Wrong side of my purchasing decision more like

Excellent! Thanks man. What about guitar exercises? I feel like I am super slow and imprecise and I dont know if I should do something like practice riff and chord changes, going really slow, OR if I should try and strengthen my fingers.

Everything my man III-V said. Within the game itself, make sure you take advantage of the lessons, and use riff repeater to slow down sections of songs that you're learning and find challenging. If you have any guitar player friends, ask them if they'll give you a lesson and lead you through some basics and exercises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Infernostew

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just going to echo what others are saying. Work on rhythm stuff first. Work on the basic major and minor chords as well as power and barre chords. Chord transitions will take a long time to nail down so keep practicing as they become natural over time. Get your strum timing down and work on different patterns. If you hit a brick wall somewhere, don't get frustrated. There tons of other things to work on where you can take a break from that and work on other techniques. There are pretty much limitless amounts of stuff to learn and improve. Best of luck!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Man they've been on a roll lately with new track releases. Sounds like Wang Chun tonights and ...I dunno...The Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil maybe?

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Man they've been on a roll lately with new track releases. Sounds like Wang Chun tonights and ...I dunno...The Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil maybe?

Sympathy's happening, they messed up their announcement tweets last week and leaked it by accident. Looks like the Stones is the big holiday pack.

I'm still baffled by FFDP, and yeah, why not the original Bad Company version? Surely not challenging to license.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Ill definitely be getting the stones pack. Always good instrumentals.
Heh just sold 2 guys at my plant on rocksmith. Ones kid is learning bass on a fender and mall lessons are shit for him and the other is an acoustic guy who really got I to the guitarcade stuff I mentioned to drill basics.

Game is so good to make even basics fun.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
The Rolling Stones pack was finally confirmed on the Rocksmith dlc forum. It mentioned Jumpin' Jack Flash. That, and we're pretty sure Sympathy for the Devil is another one. Not sure what the other two are, but I'll likely get the whole pack.

What is everyone hoping the other two songs are?