• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to create this thread so this issue doesn't get drowned in the discussion in the various DF threads. This issue does not pertain to the DF investigation into HDR, though the bug seems to be Related to HDR on the PS4 Pro.

Disabling HDR does sharpen the image, as evidenced by the pics posted on the DF threads.

Glad to see Rockstar seems to be working on a fix for the blur image / textures in the PS4 Pro version of the game.

Lets hope this issue gets resolved soon.

https://www.rdr2.org/news/rockstar-acknowledges-rdr2-blurring-issue-on-ps4-pro/

Rockstar Support has acknowledged that some Red Dead Redemption 2 players are facing blurring issues when playing the game and have said that a fix is in the works.

Many are blaming checkerboarding, a predictive technique of filling gaps with pixels similar to those next to them. It's the process by which the PS4 Pro upscales the game from 1080p to 4K and also one of the reasons why RDR2 looks best on Xbox One X.

MOD EDIT: updated title and included quote from article for clarification.

User in the other thread said the following :

I have a Samsung KS8000 and I noticed with HDR turned off the blacks/shadows look much better and the overall fidelity is crisper and cleaner. I have played 12 hours with HDR on and enjoyed the way this game looks, but I'll keep HDR off now and see if I prefer it. Based on what I saw so far I think I will keep it off.

Z3L61yy.jpg

bZNo7Kx.jpg

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
The title and subsequent "proof" is a huge reach.

Youre going to get a lot of people excited for no reason.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I'll turn it off then, seeing as it's faked anyway. I had noticed that close up it didn't look as sharp as the DF numbers suggested it was, but dismissed it as a problem caused by the checkerboarding.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So without an HDR capable TV or deactivated HDR there is no blurring issue? Or is it still not as sharp as the Xbox version in 1080p?
HDR has nothing to do with this issue.

Pretty embarrassing the public figured out this issue and not a tech channel like digital foundry while doing their analysis...
DF acknowledged the issue immediately in their analysis of the game? Did you even watch it?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's barely an acknowledgement of the issue. Shitty reconstruction techniques rarely get fixed because they are what they are. Checkerboard on the Xbox One X version of Nier Automata was also quite average and it never got fixed. The only precedent for this is AC Syndicate, which HAD to be fixed because they got the axis' wrong. In the case of RDR2, it's just R* implementation of the technique.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
wat

One random rep saying a generic "yes we are working on a few of the issues the community is facing" reply doesn't mean Rockstar has acknowledged this lol

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They never pointed it out in their video that I'm aware of. I could be wrong but I remember xdark looking for proof in the sub when people were talking about it.
iirc that was about hdr. df's day 1 video explicitly showed the blurring on ps4 and cited the problematic reconstruction. even suggested that the same res in previous videos the game looked better without it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's barely an acknowledgement of the issue. Shitty reconstruction techniques rarely get fixed because they are what they are. Checkerboard on the Xbox One X version of Nier Automata was also quite average and it never got fixed. The only precedent for this is AC Syndicate, which HAD to be fixed because they got the axis' wrong. In the case of RDR2, it's just R* implementation of the technique.
It's certainly possible to fix this problem. The thing is most developers just don't want to mess with such things after shipping the game. I think there is reason to feel optimistic in this case though as this is a game that will be supported for years to come, so it would seem they would want to fix such an issue when they're hearing so many complaints.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The fake HDR is a thing on both consoles appareantly, but it's worse on PS4, because it introduces some weird blurring.

EvilBorris wrote a nice article about it for Digital Foundry: Article & Thread

As far as I'm aware the blurring on the Pro is nothing to do with the bad HDR implementation. They're both issues but unrelated. The blurriness of the PS4 Pro version is down to the checkerboard rendering/AA solution isn't it?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly possible to fix this problem. The thing is most developers just don't want to mess with such things after shipping the game. I think there is reason to feel optimistic in this case though as this is a game that will be supported for years to come, so it would seem they would want to fix such an issue when they're hearing so many complaints.
Their fix will probably consist on adding some sharpening filter and that's it. It's kinda strange to fix a checkerboard implementation considering the Pro's hardware supports it natively. They would have to start from scratch and I don't know if R* is willing to do so. Another shitty CBR implementation that never got fixed was Watch Dogs 2. I owned a Pro for a year and to me it was always clear that Sony was king implementing the technique while some third parties struggled a bit with it.

tiku

Oct 26, 2017
The blur issue in PS4 Pro is due to a poor checkerboard implementation, not due to the fake HDR.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware the blurring on the Pro is nothing to do with the bad HDR implementation. They're both issues but unrelated. The blurriness of the PS4 Pro version is down to the checkerboard rendering/AA solution isn't it?

Who says it causes the blur? Quote them.

Doesn't the reconstruction technique, by its very nature, cause the blur?

Could have sworn that I read several posts in the the RDR2 thread that people said HDR looks washed out/blurry on PS4. Sorry, if that's not the case and if it's unrelated. My bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice more sharpness when I turned off HDR, I turned it off because it looked like a terrible washed out mess. Which couldd be the fault of my TV but other HDR games look great so I don't really get it.