• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
In a move that is likely to upset many, Rockstar has apparently downgraded their hit title Red Dead Redemption 2 by completely removing ambient occlusion.

It seems, that users of the game have noticed that with the latest patch that the game has seen a pretty hefty downgrade as discovered by an eagle-eyed Twitter user.

While it may only be the lighting that's affected, lighting makes a big deal to the feel of a game, and Ambient Occlusion seems to have been completely removed. Take a look at two comparison images below of the 1.00 version of the game and the latest 1.06 patch.

a8850088-f2f2-44ad-ap3jm4.jpeg

0b05f5ce-1d89-4399-bjqjbl.jpeg

More in this link

Edit: AO was toned down/removed in patch 1.03

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... Hope that's just a mistake. Looks a lot flatter.

I'm glad I finished the game already and probably won't ever play it again unless it gets a PC release.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Lol @ the people on Reddit making conspiracies that Rockstar downgraded it to match the online. It's a bug, they'll fix it eventually.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
You could just deactivate automatic updates if you have no interest in RDR2 online and want to keep the nice AO.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they've been doing little cuts with at least one other patch already. I remember shadow pop-in looking way more aggressive after going back to it a month ago.

ETA: I see people complained after 1.03 too.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The same thing happened with GTA V once. They fixed it, it was a bug

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking rockstar man... I have yet to continue the game because of this shit. I waited for months for a patch to fix the previous downgrades in singleplayer and they keep making it worse. At this point, I'm kinda over it. One of my most anticipated games in years and I don't even care anymore. I'll probably get back to it eventually but this shit is just...

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a mistake that they'll fix in the next patch (similar stuff happened with GTA5). The game runs great on the X so it would be odd to strip something out.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I see videogames news site still don't care about having any credibility if they can have a few more more clicks for a couple of days. This might very well be a mistake but they didn't even bother to check with Rockstar and ran with a sensationalist title like that.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I believe this was removed with the 1.02 update at launch, meaning most of us played it without ambient occlussion. So I'm thinking this is rather intentional and won't be reversed.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yet the same thing happened for GTA5.

If you don't believe me try it yourself. It shows it perfectly on the PS3 version.
They did it by mistake and then fixed it

"Rockstar has just rolled out patch 1.10 for Grand Theft Auto 5, which it says fixes "graphical issues across GTA Online and Story Mode". After downloading the 4.7GB update on PS4, we can confirm that parallax occlusion mapping is back in the game, and based on initial observations, the performance improvements seen in patch 1.09 remain in effect on the Sony platform."

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
They did it by mistake and then fixed it

"Rockstar has just rolled out patch 1.10 for Grand Theft Auto 5, which it says fixes "graphical issues across GTA Online and Story Mode". After downloading the 4.7GB update on PS4, we can confirm that parallax occlusion mapping is back in the game, and based on initial observations, the performance improvements seen in patch 1.09 remain in effect on the Sony platform."
What about the PS3?

It was downgraded in the graphics department and the framerate. Yet, they never fixed that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I wish gamers would stop defending companies.
If they already did it with GTA and now here what makes you think its bug?
Maybe it is and they havent fixed it in GTA yet either, true!
I'm not blindly defending anything, just saying that a game is a big, complicated piece of software and it's possible for unintended things to happen when patching and updating it. I find that more likely than Rockstar making their product look wors for no reason.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hopefully they fix it soon. My SO just started a playthrough and I know our copy of the game is fully updated to the latest patch. Didn't notice anything off while watching today, but its pretty obviously messed up in those screens.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The worlds lighting is in a different position between each shot. There could be other differences relating to cloud cover. Density. Volume , position coverage area. All these different factors effect how the scene will look. The comparison is not one exact apple to another exact apple.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way that this was intentional. Has to be a bug.