• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the responses in this thread are amazingly unbelievable.

In my first year in the industry I had seen some really crazy stuff. One toll I've seen was our lead producer literally disappearing near the last 3 months or so of development. The last time I saw him, it was when I was passing by his office at 3am and he was laying on the ground (nothing that required serious medical attention). We mysteriously got a replacement producer and were given no explanation.

That same year, I was once testing a popular unreleased mobile game just for a single day while the devs worked on some major fixes for the console game. I was given an iPad and that iPad started receiving iMessages. It started off with "are you coming home for dinner?" I ignored it at first and just kept playing.

But then the messages started getting more and more intense. The significant other was stunned that not only was her husband not coming home for dinner, but he was once again traveling for an extended period of time, which according to her was not supposed to happen anymore. Shortly after, she started explaining the toll this was having on her and her kid. Literally talking about missing their kids first steps. Then she ended things by showing a picture of their child and saying that she's done and wants to call things off.

Those messages all happened within a very very short span of time so it was difficult to not see everything unfold. It was absolutely mindblowing seeing it all break down so quickly in a way that seems like it was written as a PSA. But it was real.

holy shit

Oct 28, 2017
For your own sake, please quit. It's not worth it for having your name in a credits list.

I don't work there anymore. I was let go. It was the strangest feeling. I felt terrified to go, as I was supporting my girlfriend with the job and was the only income in the house while she studied. I had no savings because low pay, probably just enough to survive a couple of months, but then I landed another job in an unrelated field, and I've been happily cruising since then.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is you can just quit and work for another company that suits your lifestyle better. Working for the best of the best comes at a price

This is only the case in the videogame sector of software development.

The best of the best software companies have a sane work/life balance, and for the most part, they pay much more than the videogame sector of the software industry. As a software engineer, who works very normal 35-40 hour weeks, and usually doesn't have much crunch at all, and gets paid very competitively, I'm always eager to tell videogame developers to branch out to other parts of the industry where you'll get paid more, with better benefits, and not have crunch.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
Before they started cracking down on CDL vehicles in America, it was not uncommon for those driving 80,000 pound big trucks to push 90 plus hours a week. Years ago, I worked in a field that required driving a big truck, and I never put in less than 70 hours a week, and flirted with 100 a few times. I was young, and was able to do it, but if I am being honest, it is lucky I did not kill a family driving off the road. At the very least it put a huge strain on my marriage and my relationship with my children.

At the the time I thought I was doing the right thing for my family. The truth was I was being exploited by my company, and worked well past what is fair. The government stepped in and capped the hours of work to 60 or 70 for CDL jobs (depending on a few things) which really helped, but there are still people on the road, who should not be behind the wheel because they are not getting enough rest. (physical and mental)

The truth is crunch time should only be for times of emergencies. Making sure a game comes out on time...that will end up making BILLIONS... is in no fucking way an emergency.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My compensation after my contract was done was "maybe we'll call you back in 3 months, assuming there is work to be done during that time. If not, please be excited for our call at a later time".

I know people who have been going through the grind of a 9 month on and MAYBE 3 months off at a AAA studio for nearly 10 years. I don't know why they do it, personally. I think some of it has to do with the idea of prestige for working for a AAA studio. After my contract was up at my first job I frantically found another job and never thought about going back to the other place again.

Oh wow man that is horrible. Sorry to hear that. That is crazy. I wasn't aware how cut throat this industry can be. (telletale and other recent dev news aside)

Game development isn't some special niche in project and/or software management. Its simply part of the culture to abuse (often) young persons who don't know better. Because everyone is doing it right?

I didn't mean to say that it ONLY happens with games, Of course it definitely happens with software/computers since that's just the nature of working with computers in general(I work in IT). Just considering the deadlines for video games specifically was the only reason I emphasized games. Studied a bit of project management and i believe that refers to as "creep" but yeah i was just saying that I feel it's kinda unavoidable to make a project deadline without something being sacrificed whether it be the quality of the game,time devs put into the game, or the date the game releases being pushed back. It seems like a middle ground nowadays is to release the game at the deadline with known bugs (maybe not too common or game-breaking) and then resolve those down the line. I feel that it's worked for the most part with a few exceptions, but it's an improvement.

There's a dev on this page explaining why they stay.

Pretty much today's discussion on Twitter.

yeah I was highly considering going in game development, but just always hearing stuff like this in news (and realizing that I love playing them more than creating them) turned me off. I really do hope this gets unionized eventually. Of course this will probably delay some games, but i'm totally fine with that if it creates a more enjoyable work/life balance for game devs which in turn may result in even better games themselves.

karim

Oct 27, 2017
While I do not condone or encourage this type of behavior, this is nothing new. This is a problem with software development in general. (in my opinion)

You have business and marketing people trying to make up budgets, plans, get the hype going and make commitments that they have no idea about way too early. Devs, QA, BAs all get squeezed to try and make the commitments that other people made on their behalf. It gets worse when you try and run an agile shop and are constantly making scope cuts and end up with an MVP (minimal viable product) of your MVP. Don't even get me started on end to end validation and release management.

Companies need to better manage expectations of their consumer base and the media. It seems to me CD Projekt Red has a decent handle on this with their non committal attitude and not showing off things until they have made good progress.

It is a slippery slope too, the larger the company is. They will always want to show the latest and greatest.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think you can work 7 days a week in the UK. That would be highly illegal. So either way its still pretty ridiculous.

Yea you can, there's a law where you're only supposed to work 48 hours per week, but you can opt out if you want to do more, before that I worked 12 hours per day 7 days a week as a Security guard, I think I ended up doing 43 days straight before a day off (to be fair, I wanted some money saved and this paid well enough to set me up to go to University)

Edit: And to add, I got a Bachlors Degree in Video Game and Software Development, after hearing so many bad stories I decided to focus on Software dev. more, better pay for less hours really

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
This is all too typical in video game development, I hope stories like this can lead to better worker union rights but it's so frustrating to know that this industry leans on exploitation like this to thrive.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame I was never interested in this game, I could've joined a few others in boycotting it.

Overall, I'm proud of ERA for mostly getting upset at this. A few rotten eggs defending it doesn't change that.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can work 7 days a week in the UK. That would be highly illegal. So either way its still pretty ridiculous.
iirc you're entitled to one day off a week or two off a fortnight if you're over 18. That can be twisted by employers to have people working 7 or more days in a row. I see it at my work all the time happening to people too scared to say no.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
11 pages in and not a single "it be like that sometimes" post. Proud of you era. yall great people.

Rockstar needs to work on their employee incentives and benefits. Everyone should get like 200hrs of PTO after something like that.

But the best-in-class response to an exploitative work culture isn't just expressing sympathy. We all need to feel some shame for not boycotting and hence enabling this type of behavior.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
::Wake up, look at twitter, everyone is talking about crunch::

What the fuck happened this morning?

::open the news:: Oh. Oh Rockstar, you dumb motherfuckers.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many times have you quit your job as an adult with bills and obligations to go find another job that fits your life syle better? Shit isn't easy no matter how many youtube ads you've watched saying "follow your dreams" its BS. Employers treating employees with respect seems like a no brainer nobody should be expected to work 100hr weeks.
Multiple times. I've worked in investment banking and private equity, I know what 80-100 hour weeks are like. I knew what I was getting into but after a while I decided I'd rather do something more laid back and switched jobs.
Having bills and obligations doesnt mean you cant switch jobs, you find something new, put in your 2 weeks and start working at the new place 2 weeks after. Millions of Americans do it every year.

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they had double the normal amount of development time for a typical AAA game. They also make a fuckton of money from GTA online.

So, either exploitation is built into how Rockstar produces games, or they have terrible project management. Probably a bit of both...

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't work there anymore. I was let go. It was the strangest feeling. I felt terrified to go, as I was supporting my girlfriend with the job and was the only income in the house while she studied. I had no savings because low pay, probably just enough to survive a couple of months, but then I landed another job in an unrelated field, and I've been happily cruising since then.

Oh god dude. I'm so glad life worked out for you but my god, that is incredibly exploitative. Thank you for telling us about your experience.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get how people can brag about publicly demonstrating how bad you are at project management. The end is supposed to be a gradual wind-down, not a sudden crunch.

Deleted member 9929

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Multiple times. I've worked in investment banking and private equity, I know what 80-100 hour weeks are like. I knew what I was getting into but after a while I decided I'd rather do something more laid back and switched jobs.
Having bills and obligations doesnt mean you cant switch jobs, you find something new, put in your 2 weeks and start working at the new place 2 weeks after. Millions of Americans do it every year.
Investment banking and games industry are not the same. You can find a finance job in likely any decently sized city. That's not the case for game development.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
That would be acceptable if the millions of revenue would be split between the hard-working employees. Most of it will go to people who hardly work at all however, that is the world we live in.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Before they started cracking down on CDL vehicles in America, it was not uncommon for those driving 80,000 pound big trucks to push 90 plus hours a week. Years ago, I worked in a field that required driving a big truck, and I never put in less than 70 hours a week, and flirted with 100 a few times. I was young, and was able to do it, but if I am being honest, it is lucky I did not kill a family driving off the road. At the very least it put a huge strain on my marriage and my relationship with my children.

At the the time I thought I was doing the right thing for my family. The truth was I was being exploited by my company, and worked well past what is fair. The government stepped in and capped the hours of work to 60 or 70 for CDL jobs (depending on a few things) which really helped, but there are still people on the road, who should not be behind the wheel because they are not getting enough rest. (physical and mental)

The truth is crunch time should only be for times of emergencies. Making sure a game comes out on time...that will end up making BILLIONS... is in no fucking way an emergency.

Great point and I feel the general consensus for most of us in here (assuming of course) is that we don't mind a game being delayed multiple times especially with rockstar's games and considering their M.O. with how long their games take to be released anyway on top of delays after that. Majority of cases it results in a better game and we all have immense backlogs anyway. I think the push of release on announced dates are more so on shareholders i'd assume to get games out by a specific quarter possibly, maybe.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yea you can, there's a law where you're only supposed to work 48 hours per week, but you can opt out if you want to do more, before that I worked 12 hours per day 7 days a week as a Security guard, I think I ended up doing 43 days straight before a day off (to be fair, I wanted some money saved and this paid well enough to set me up to go to University)

Edit: And to add, I got a Bachlors Degree in Video Game and Software Development, after hearing so many bad stories I decided to focus on Software dev. more, better pay for less hours really

I was under the impression that if you worked more than 12 hrs straight in a shift you're supposed to have a day off. So 14hr for 7 days doesn't sound legal.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
If gamers stood for something they'd boycot this game.

Those are the kind of hours some interns at hospitals do. And these are video game developers not doctors. Terrible. Disgusting even.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While that may help, consumers should not support product that we know were created under hostile working conditions. Everyone has a role to play. They should unionize, and we shouldn't purchase this product.

That would make it impossible to buy the vast majority of products, electronic and otherwise.

It could also potentially endanger the money/bonuses of those who will receive additional compensation as the game reaches various sales milestones.

I don't condone these practices but I would argue the more effective strategy is to contact the company as a paying customer and voice our concerns.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
We, as consumers, need to stop normalising this nonsense.

No one should be working 100 hours a week and we need to accept longer dev cycles or delayed games and less killing developers.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
iirc you're entitled to one day off a week or two off a fortnight if you're over 18. That can be twisted by employers to have people working 7 or more days in a row. I see it at my work all the time happening to people too scared to say no.

Yeah but I don't think an employer can legally allow an employee to work 7 straight days of over 12 hr shifts. Hopefully someone with a knowledge of UK labour law can chime in.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is only the case in the videogame sector of software development.

The best of the best software companies have a sane work/life balance, and for the most part, they pay much more than the videogame sector of the software industry. As a software engineer, who works very normal 35-40 hour weeks, and usually doesn't have much crunch at all, and gets paid very competitively, I'm always eager to tell videogame developers to branch out to other parts of the industry where you'll get paid more, with better benefits, and not have crunch.
It's because the game industry is a sexy industry. You have new grads willing to get gigs every year for the gaming industry. This is why they can get away with this.

I assume most game developers have an interest in the industry and long time connections with the hobby. Also shipping a game may seem more exciting than shipping some B2B SaaS product. You will most likely play what you ship, unlike other types of software.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
100 hours a week for hourly (dunno how many weeks).....screw that, i'll do it. For salary...better be a six figure pay or no deal.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I can barely register what's that like.

I had a project a few years ago that had me working a few 12, stress filled, hour-days, and that was soul crushing.

Working 100 hour weeks, which I'm sure includes weekends, is inhuman.

Not that is solves anything, but I just hope those guys will get the compensation they deserve.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People outraged by this will still buy the game.

And the defense will be:

"Well we want to honour the amount of time the people have put into it"

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Because people keep buying the products.

More people need to send a message that this isn't OK.

I agree but the whole 'vote with your wallet' approach rarely works when gamers aren't directly effected. I don't understand why there aren't labor laws against this type of labor abuse.

People keep buying products and gamers keep shitting all over everything that's not up to thier ridiculous standards.

But really I blame the industry more for trying to keep up with those ridiculous standards, but that's not to say gamers have no input into the issue. They want more and more but don't want to pay for any of it.

I agree that gamers are part of the problem but that's only part of it. Gamers are used to waiting for Rockstar games. I don't get why it wouldn't have been possible to launch it next year and crunch less. I get that investors would be unhappy but fuck them, the company is already making a shit ton of money with GTA Online, they can afford to launch later.

Regarding how gamers approach aspects of this industry, this would require a level of interest from the audience that I just don't think exists. We see countless ignorant comments, assumptions, and requests by people who are highly active in the hobby. Unfortunately I don't think that'll be changing anytime soon.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
There isn't much of anything to say that hasn't been said already. I just hope those people working those hours were well-compensated and that Rockstar achieved everything they wanted with RDR2. It honestly sounds like one of the most ambitious games ever made.

Part of me believes that to achieve that, you had to go insane lengths. Hope it's worth it for everyone involved.

Oct 28, 2017
No one is working 100h weeks. Don't get me wrong I believe Rockstar is overworking it's employee's, but people that say they are working 100h a week are full of shit most of the time.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

The ' no one is forced to work hard ' line struck me as an odd choice of words. He could have said so many other things. ''' no one is forced to work in bad conditions, no one is forced to work more than 40 hours.' No. He said no one is forced to work hard, like the people who don't work 100 hours aren't working hard?

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god dude. I'm so glad life worked out for you but my god, that is incredibly exploitative. Thank you for telling us about your experience.

I can't name the company because I'm still under NDA, but I continually think about getting back into gamedev, or how I actually weirdly miss working at that company. Then I remember the stretch of 2 months without a day off and I think "Ha, no fucking way". I didn't have time to even build anything portfolio-wise while working there, and the contract makes all your out-of-work shit theirs anyway. I just feel like I'm too behind to bother getting back into the game, and I'd have to find a company that respects my time, which also feels impossible.

Don't feel good enough to work in an indie team either. Can't pull my weight with how my skills are. Just given up on getting back into gamedev and enjoying what I have right now. There's always a small "One day" in the back of my head, but I can't see it happening if I take a realistic outlook. I just don't trust the industry anymore.