• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. Rockstar could easily show a spreadsheet of hours billed, without specifying names, if it wasn't true, it'd be obvious. They could do it departmentally, by studio, etc... that kind of transparency would go a long way, and basically shut up the negative press, unless it was true that some people are working those crazy hours.

When I worked in videogames, I definitely worked 100+ hours during crunch, it was one of the primary reasons why I left the industry. That was 8+ years ago, and from my friends in the industry today, it seems that at least the companies I worked for, have gotten better. But even if it was 60 hours a week being pressured either by management or even by peers is why I will never work in the industry again. If I get my work done, I will get off when my 8 hours are done and spend the rest of the day with my family. I don't want my coworkers giving me funny looks when I clock out at 4pm.

Perhaps the industry needs to unionize... but of course there would be backlash from the community, as release scheduled would be pushed even more than they are today (or features removed, or quality dropped)

Well they did send Guardian some numbers

Statistics provided by Rockstar to the Guardian, based on employees' self-reported hours across all studios from 8 January to the end of September 2018, show that the average working week was between 42.4 and 45.8 hours. The longest week – that of 9 July – was 50.1 hours, and during the studio's busiest week, 20% of employees reported working 60 hours or more, to a maximum of 67.1 hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...g-conditions-red-dead-redemption-2-rob-nelson

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. Rockstar could easily show a spreadsheet of hours billed, without specifying names, if it wasn't true, it'd be obvious. They could do it departmentally, by studio, etc... that kind of transparency would go a long way, and basically shut up the negative press, unless it was true that some people are working those crazy hours.

Would be great, but in which industry would a company do this?

I think we didn't reach that tansparency anywhere, yet.

EDIT: Okay, well they actually did.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't go around saying "well, that guy who says he had to crunch might be a disgruntled ex-employee", or straight up calling those people liars.
You don't - but let's be honest here - the accusations of disgruntled-employees happen every time a non-positive disclosure is made about a corporation. And ultimately odds are stacked overwhelmingly against anyone coming forward with negative information given that information control remains firmly on the corp. side, and if they make a popular product - so does the public opinion.

The other thing is that this industry is built on celebrating the very things that lead to problematic practices - so in terms of probabilities of which version is (more)true, odds are against the accuses.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Hey, thanks for that, well seems that this story is pretty much closed... he says across all studios, and he says the maximum was 67.1, unless he's lying.

One caveat is that it's "reported hours", which if you are permanent full-time, depending on the company, you don't fill in time-sheets. I worked at a company that, even if we worked more than 40 hours a week, we still just billed 8 hours a day... just because... I guess...

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
well seems that this story is pretty much closed..

07-minister.jpg

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, thanks boss I'm gonna go right to Twitter and talk about how great you are lmao

I really don't see the need for the PR effort. There's not going to be any sort of noticable backlash as far as sales are concerned.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

This is a really illuminating article; I'm glad Rockstar is at least aware of needing to improve in this aspect:

In an interview with the Guardian, Nelson acknowledged that Rockstar's working culture has been in need of improvement. Asked how the studio manages employees' time and welfare, he said: "As best we can, and it's something that we're always striving to get better at. We're growing as fast as we can, and we're structuring our departments based on need, because we don't want people working too hard.

"Do people work hard and is there overtime and extra effort put in? Yes, there is. Is it something we want happening regularly for long periods of time or as an accepted part of our process or as a 'badge of honour' thing? No, it is not. We are always trying to improve how we are working and balance what we are making with how we make it and we will not stop working to improve in this area."

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Always pay attention to the job title of someone saying they don't work excessive overtime. Different jobs will have different workloads, remember that.
Yep, this. That was my first thought with the first tweet. Of course the tools team doesnt work much overtime.

Then again, if they actually sent that thing out company wide and it actually said they can talk about anything... maybe it is all hyperbole.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
In an industry where 95% of employees surveyed by the IGDA reported crunch and "long hours or extended hours that they do not refer to as crunch", Rockstar is the only one to provide the transparency found in that article, and they've encouraged their staff to go public, and they don't have retention issues, and they've paid out $1.9BN in royalties in the last 5 years. Someone is going to have to explain where this whole, "They're so evil, fuck em!", mentality is coming from. They should be getting praise for this, not hate.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
There's no such thing as innocent until proven guilty on ERA just like there wasn't on GAF.
Innocent until proven guilty is a maxim of criminal law that, outside of a literal court room, is misused to downplay potential wrongdoing. It applies to court proceedings, and that's it.

Imagine "innocent until proven guilty" really was the generalised maxim you want it to be. How could police justify arrests, when we have to assume everyone is innocent?

Outside of a courtroom, no motherfucker on the planet has to be presumed innocent. Presuming innocence is in fact dangerously naive.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Innocent until proven guilty is a maxim of criminal law that, outside of a literal court room, is misused to downplay potential wrongdoing. It applies to court proceedings, and that's it.

Imagine "innocent until proven guilty" really was the generalised maxim you want it to be. How could police justify arrests, when we have to assume everyone is innocent?

Outside of a courtroom, no motherfucker on the planet has to be presumed innocent. Presuming innocence is in fact dangerously naive.
Oh stop it. "Giving the benefit of the doubt" is its equivalent, and doing so is a virtue if anything.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
In an industry where 95% of employees surveyed by the IGDA reported crunch and "long hours or extended hours that they do not refer to as crunch", Rockstar is the only one to provide the transparency found in that article, and they've encouraged their staff to go public, and they don't have retention issues, and they've paid out $1.9BN in royalties in the last 5 years. Someone is going to have to explain where this whole, "They're so evil, fuck em!", mentality is coming from. They should be getting praise for this, not hate.

would you expect the studio head or the co-founder of R* to tell people about horror stories in their company? Praise? what.....

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Now, i don't believe everything is great at R*, and i don't just trust Houser to be the nice, honest guy. I just don't know.
But I do give him a little more credit than to come out and shoot himself on the foot like that by proudly announcing they straight up torture their employees at R*.
Which is why i believe his redacted statement really reflects what he meant. Again, not because i believe he's a honest dude.
Just because it would take a special kind of stupid to believe claiming their employees work under inhuman conditios would fly.

When you think we're only now discussing this because of a quote which was most likely misunderstood, it puts things in perspective.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Now, i don't believe everything is great at R*, and i don't just trust Houser to be the nice, honest guy. I just don't know.
But I do give him a little more credit than to come out and shoot himself on the foot like that by proudly announcing they straight up torture their employees at R*.
Which is why i believe his redacted statement really reflects what he meant. Again, not because i believe he's a honest dude.
Just because it would take a special kind of stupid to believe claiming their employees work under inhuman conditios would fly.

When you think we're only now discussing this because of a quote which was most likely misunderstood, it puts things in perspective.

Agreed; we should be talking about this situation way more than we currently do and for pretty much all releases, big or small. "Is a game worth it" should be a question we ask more, not less, IMO.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That means the company underbudgeted resources and should be criticised for shifting the consequences of its failures onto its employees. "Sacrifice your homelife or you won't even have a job" sounds like something out of a gritty film about mistreated migrants.

And in the case of R* it's not like this lack of resources blindsided them. At some point management made a conscious decision to save profits because they knew they could wring all the work they needed out of their current employees rather than hiring more. Crunch should never have entered the decision-making process as an option.

How do you actually think that?

These things aren't static products. Things change throughout the years it takes to make them. There are many moving parts. Some things break. Some things don't work as intended. Some things don't work as well as they sounded on paper. Things change but the deadline doesn't. Have you ever worked on any project in your life? Even little projects can get clustered up with the best of planning.

Can we stop pretending that things taking hundreds of employees and a decade to make can be perfectly planned out and will be issue free?

And your silly quote about sacrificing home life is nothing anyone has ever said ever so it's not even worth addressing. Does everyone here work sales jobs or what? How have people never encountered a real case of OT before or understand how it comes about.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Agreed; we should be talking about this situation way more than we currently do and for pretty much all releases, big or small. "Is a game worth it" should be a question we ask more, not less, IMO.

Sure but using the biggest release of the year as a jumping off point to highlight the issue has proved to be quite successful this time, no matter who you believe. We have lots of people talking about it and its in the news. The publicity will probably help the game, it's not like Rockstar releases don't regularly see controversy and go on to sell millions. I don't see a loser in this discussion. Well I see a few twisting themselves into pretzels to defend their fav companies just like with Ubisoft but that's the norm on Era, sadly.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to call shenanigans...

But shenanigans.

I think the amount of mentions of 100 hour work weeks is more noteable.

But that doesn't fit the narrative some people have set.

There will always be people pushing narratives one way of the other, even if I personally have an easier time sympathising with those pushing for working rights vs corporations.

It seems obvious to me there are some issues at Rockstar but how big and how common? Is it a culture problem or a few rotten bad eggs? That will take more time to tell.

I don't think anyone saying they don't think there's any issues at all though aren't being honest with themselves.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But that doesn't fit the narrative some people have set.

Eh, it sorta does depending on what side of the "we think workers should have more rights" wagon you're on:

In an interview with the Guardian, Nelson acknowledged that Rockstar's working culture has been in need of improvement. Asked how the studio manages employees' time and welfare, he said: "As best we can, and it's something that we're always striving to get better at. We're growing as fast as we can, and we're structuring our departments based on need, because we don't want people working too hard.

"Do people work hard and is there overtime and extra effort put in? Yes, there is. Is it something we want happening regularly for long periods of time or as an accepted part of our process or as a 'badge of honour' thing? No, it is not. We are always trying to improve how we are working and balance what we are making with how we make it and we will not stop working to improve in this area."

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but using the biggest release of the year as a jumping off point to highlight the issue has proved to be quite successful this time, no matter who you believe. We have lots of people talking about it and its in the news. The publicity will probably help the game, it's not like Rockstar releases don't regularly see controversy and go on to sell millions. I don't see a loser in this discussion. Well I see a few twisting themselves into pretzels to defend their fav companies just like with Ubisoft but that's the norm on Era, sadly.

What better platform is there other than the biggest release of the year, really?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By "more notable", do you mean "still not at all?" Because the hundred hour thing has literally been the main point of the narrative over the past couple days.
It was what got the conversation going but no sane human being thought that 100 hour weeks was a near common occurance. Tweets basically just saying "I've not done any 100 hour weeks" are quite a few and to me they are noteable.

Nov 1, 2017
Innocent until proven guilty used to be a thing...now it seems everyone wants to jump on the hate bandwagon as fast as possible. It's a shame. Glad to see there are multiple people from R* coming forward to talk about the working conditions.
Unfortunately the same can be said about almost anything. It's all mob rule now. Logic and critical thinking is thrown out the window and people act on emotion alone.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Successful in what? Making Rockstar out to be a bad guy when they didn't do anything? Crucifying a company for past mistakes? Ya, we really showed them that, hey, you can try and change and be better, but we will still write an article with a horribly misleading title and make the masses hate you again for no reason!

This conversation isn't geared towards the rest of the industry, and just like everything else in this social media fueled world, it will be forgotten the second the game is released and all companies currently doing this will not give two shits about the storm cast down on one developer.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think the point a lot of people are missing here is that crunch exists. It sucks. Not everyone experiences it. But it happens and it does happen a lot. And even if you're not literally forced by gun point, there are a lot of other pressures that force you into doing super long hours.

Personally, not sure what agendas people are trying to push here. But the fact that there is pressure to not normalize crunch is a good thing. Again, this is coming from someone who crunched 90 hour weeks for months for a AAA title. Let's not try to belittle those very valid experiences.

Social pressure to make companies improve the life of their employees is a good thing. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to boycott something or do anything significantly different. But just speaking up and saying "hey, that's wrong" is actually quite good.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Well, if these numbers hold up (I'm unsure if they do), then this fits nicely into my "Dan Houser is a bullshit artist and was bragging about working hard to try to make his game sound better," theory.

65 hour weeks are still bad, but if your boss is also bragging about people working 100 hour weeks, even if the reality is they're working 50 and 60 hour weeks, that's still a bad thing to do because when the boss brags about doing something, then the culture changes in the organization and you start to think that your 60 hour weeks aren't adequate anymore... Which makes it worse.

Houser is a gas bag who is so in love with the smell of his own gas. I'm glad this reverberated back at him.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It was what got the conversation going but no sane human being thought that 100 hour weeks was a near common occurance. Tweets basically just saying "I've not done any 100 hour weeks" are quite a few and to me they are noteable.
Where have you been? There were absolutely people, and plenty of them, who thought that. They're also meant to corroborate Dan Houser's clarification, in that only a few key senior staff were pulling those hours specifically. it's really not notable at all.

I think the point a lot of people are missing here is that crunch exists. It sucks. Not everyone experiences it. But it happens and it does happen a lot. And even if you're not literally forced by gun point, there are a lot of other pressures that force you into doing super long hours.

Personally, not sure what agendas people are trying to push here. But the fact that there is pressure to not normalize crunch is a good thing. Again, this is coming from someone who crunched 90 hour weeks for months for a AAA title. Let's not try to belittle those very valid experiences.

Social pressure to make companies improve the life of their employees is a good thing. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to boycott something or do anything significantly different. But just speaking up and saying "hey, that's wrong" is actually quite good.
So, like, are you arguing against any use of crunch whatsoever? Because that's an entirely unrealistic ideal.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Completely agree.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where have you been? There were absolutely people, and plenty of them, who thought that. They're also meant to corroborate Dan Houser's clarification, in that only a few key senior staff were pulling those hours specifically. it's really not notable at all.
I did say sane people who thought that. I'm sure some thought that.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Successful in what? Making Rockstar out to be a bad guy when they didn't do anything? Crucifying a company for past mistakes? Ya, we really showed them that, hey, you can try and change and be better, but we will still write an article with a horribly misleading title and make the masses hate you again for no reason!

This conversation isn't geared towards the rest of the industry, and just like everything else in this social media fueled world, it will be forgotten the second the game is released and all companies currently doing this will not give two shits about the storm cast down on one developer.

Nah. Tons of companies reached out to talk about this, and its naive to think that the HR departments of every major developer aren't paying close attention.

When No Mans Sky didn't match the trailer, people were shook. Preview cycles shortened.

When Battlefront 2 got torched over loot boxes, companies got scared, governments got involved.

This has sparked a conversation. If at least one manager realizes that maybe they should be wary of crunch, it's worth it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, we got the article, the transparency, and the staff "confessions" because of the backlash--unless you're saying this was all out there prior to the Houser interview?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017

You are probaby right this specific case will be forgotten soon.
But nothing so far indicates that Rockstar has not been using unreasonable crunch in their game development. They gladly admit it in the Guardian article. The focus on this issue has been good, and should happen a lot more often - especially considering everyones short memory. Only way things might change for the better.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if these numbers hold up (I'm unsure if they do), then this fits nicely into my "Dan Houser is a bullshit artist and was bragging about working hard to try to make his game sound better," theory.

65 hour weeks are still bad, but if your boss is also bragging about people working 100 hour weeks, even if the reality is they're working 50 and 60 hour weeks, that's still a bad thing to do because when the boss brags about doing something, then the culture changes in the organization and you start to think that your 60 hour weeks are adequate anymore... Which makes it worse.

Houser is a gas bag who is so in love with the smell of his own gas. I'm glad this reverberated back at him.

Dan Houser was talking about himself and his small team of writers working 100 hours. He also works at the NYC office.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Folks' identities become so inseparable from their chosen favorite games, systems, companies, etc., that very rarely are they able to see the forest for the trees. I hope we continue scrutinizing all companies until everyone can be comfortable in working and creating in this media space.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017

65 hour weeks are still bad, but if your boss is also bragging about people working 100 hour weeks, even if the reality is they're working 50 and 60 hour weeks, that's still a bad thing to do because when the boss brags about doing something, then the culture changes in the organization and you start to think that your 60 hour weeks aren't adequate anymore... Which makes it worse.

Self reporting hours is a bullshit metric. I've worked plenty of places where you put your 40 hours on your time sheet and you actually work 60 because if you put more than 40 they either have to pay you if you are hourly or if you are salaried your higher reported hours drive the cost to customer up. I've seen too many companies where the culture is to just put down 40 a week.

#1 rule at my company right now with time recording now is true time recording, you put down what you work. It's important for future cost estimating but it is also important so you know when people are being worked too hard. They beat it over our heads, record what you work, and I'm a time sheet approver for several employees so I try and sniff out if they are under reporting.

Not claiming this instance is BS, but take those metrics with a grain of salt.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a big deal. I wonder why it's being ignored.

Well because fake news and damage control.

But seriously, I repeat what I said before. Crunch is an important topic and I am thankful it was brought up. But Rockstar just isn't the corporate devil some people want them to be.

I worked at different companies and big corporations. All of them had employees that have rated the company "1/10, worst place to work." But one thing I learned is not only to judge my workplace by that, but to see what the company is doing to make it better and how I and my co workers felt about it. And I see game companies doing the same thing. Recognize what's bad and work on improving it. It takes time, but we will get there.

A lot of opinions here just reminded me of witch hunting back in the days. Misquotation, stupid brag from crazy Dan and few tweets from ex employees is enough for some people to scream *BOYCOTT* and *BURN ROCKSTAR*

:/

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are all the recent bad ones to counter the many positive ones then?

Sounds like a great place to work to me. It also seems like a lot of small minded, juvenile intellects have created the delusional fantasy that Dan Houser is a madman.

Yes, it should.

Several Rockstar employees have come forward with very positive things to say about RDRII development at Rockstar.

This entire situation is a delusional dogpile on Dan Houser, nothing more.
This dude -so- badly wants to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 with 0% of the moral guilt of supporting a company that crunches. These are some mental gymnastics.