• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
GTA series games are no longer available on GeForce NOW and have been removed from the list of supported games.

Word was first spread on Reddit, where confused users were wondering why they suddenly were no longer able to play GTA V. NVIDIA's own forums then also blew up with angry users. A user on Reddit contacted NVIDIA support and was told that it was an intentional removal:
I talked to live support they said that it was decided by Rockstar and GFN to remove it. When I ask why they don't give me a proper answer they just keep repeating that "it was decided by the devs". RIP

No explanation has been given for the removal, though speculation is rife that it may possibly have something to do with the Stadia partnership that Google and Rockstar formed earlier in the year.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
User banned (5 days): racist joke
Welcome to cloud gaming folks. Do you rike it?

Edit: Sorry for the casual racism, I accept my inevitable ban.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Buying exclusive rights for 3rd party games for streaming services incoming. monkaS

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
streaming is gonna be so fun. playing a game for days and one day it being pulled from the service like a show being removed from netflix, with no way to keep or transfer your save to another service. who wouldn't want that?

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Say hello to the streaming future.
Also i assume this means GTA series and RDR2 are now stadia streaming exclusive.

Last edited:

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Dark days are ahead if developers start shoving the idea of streaming games down our throats. Its just not the answer, not now or the foreseeable future.

Jun 14, 2018
Second-tier exclusivity inbound. Not only do we have to deal with games being exclusive to a platform, but they may be exclusive to a streaming service too. Imagine DMC5 on both PS4 and XB1 but is exclusive to XGP/xCloud in the streaming/subscription world. This is where we're heading, isn't it? Ffs.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Were these buy to play games, or part of a subscription? I assume if the former that they can't summarily withdraw them like that.

With all the worry about 'what happens to your game if the service stops existing in a couple of years', I feel like the much more likely scenario of 'what happens to your games if the publisher pulls them off to service an exclusivity deal elsewhere' perhaps hasn't got as much attention.

I feel like this is maybe an acceptable risk with subscriptions, but if you've paid full dollar for a game, that feels like something that shouldn't/couldn't happen.

Second-tier exclusivity inbound. Not only do we have to deal with games being exclusive to a platform, but they may be exclusive to a streaming service too. Imagine DMC5 on both PS4 and XB1 but is exclusive to XGP/xCloud in the streaming/subscription world. This is where we're heading, isn't it? Ffs.

I feel like MS and Sony may tie licensing to existing distribution on their platforms - it's a good way for them to leverage their existing strengths in this new landscape vs Google or Amazon, or whomever. In which case deals like that probably wouldn't be feasible, at least unless a third party was already willing to make a game entirely 'console exclusive' to one platform or whatever.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Orcs Must Die! 3 for instance. Stadia exclusive release.

At a very minimum streaming services should probably be required to let people download their saves somewhere.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
figures lol, I just uninstalled it to save space on my PC because it was on Geforce NOW, and they remove it like 2 days later >.<

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a way, that's what makes a streaming future so attractive to big publishers, full control over the product and the player.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It should be worth reminding GeForce NOW is still in beta and requires no fee, which means no one paid to have streaming access to those games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

It's coming exclusively to pc
Through the epic store only
But you're paying to access the game on a cloud streaming service

The future looks bright

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
You guys can just not support streaming and kill the business right then and there. Streaming won't pick up steam if players don't want it. That's why I have no intention of buying any streaming consoles in the future.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
What happens is you own the game through steam? Surely that will still work on GeForce now?

Oct 25, 2017
Were these buy to play games, or part of a subscription? I assume if the former that they can't summarily withdraw them like that.
To play, you needed to own the game on Steam or Rockstar Social Club. Now that they've taken it off, you will still own it on Steam or Rockstar so no refunds (unless you qualify for Valve's 2 hour refund).

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of horseshit.

I also fear tariffs on traditional consoles and PC tech will help blow the door wide open for streaming platforms because they'll be so much cheaper in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
What happens is you own the game through steam? Surely that will still work on GeForce now?
No, it will not. That's what has been removed. You had to own the game on Steam or Rockstar Social Club to play it on Geforce Now.

Now that it has been taken off, you must get a PC to play it. You will get no refund because you still have the game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This coincides with the Xbox 360BC version being updated to have the music remove. I wonder if he has been taken offline in order to produce musicless binaries

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
No, it will not. That's what has been removed. You had to own the game on Steam or Rockstar Social Club to play it on Geforce Now.

Now that it has been taken off, you must get a PC to play it. You will get no refund because you still have the game.
Ah. I always had the impression that Steam on GeForce now, was just plain steam. Effectively that GeForce now was just renting a remote instance of a PC.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like Disney pulling content from Netflix.

This should not be a surprise.

But hey streaming is the future and consoles are dead right?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Oh, wow, the streaming future is so cool.

I love not owning my games or having access to the files or having access to my saves or being able to mod anything.

And it only costs me $19.99 a month. Sure, it was cheaper/free when companies wanted to get me hooked in, but still wottadeal.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Never heard of GeForce NOW before.

But I'm guessing Red Dead Redemption 2 will be on Stadia.

Edit: Oh its a streaming platform...so its like Disney pulling its content from Netflix for Disney+.

Thanks Google! Oh snap, its a cycle oh yes indeed~

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling more than half the people in here have no idea what GeForce Now even is with the kind of responses they're writing

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smells like someone signed an exclusivity cloud streaming agreement. Playing cloud service games on a library you already use - that just makes too much sense for this timeline.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely going to be a trend in streaming eventually. Happens all the time with stuff like Netflix after all.

People will buy entire series of games on a streaming service like CoD. They'll have hundreds of dollars in, friend lists filled with people who they play with. Then the games will get bought up by a competitor and they'll lose ALL THEIR GAME PURCHASES.

Then they'll have to rebuy their games and pay 2 monthly fees of $15/month to be able to maintain access to their partial libraries on two platforms.

This is the guaranteed future for all those who buy any games on streaming services.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We wouldn't want people to play GTA V on Switch, that's giving consumers way too much choice.

Aug 19, 2019
London
We wouldn't want people to play GTA V on Switch, that's giving consumers way too much choice.
There is nothing stopping GTA V being on a Switch, except Rockstar not wanting to on there.

The rumours and reports from earlier this year were that Stadia will have exclusive streaming rights Red Dead Redemption 2 (and it seems the rest of the Rockstar library).

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait till Microsoft/Sony/Ubisoft/EA/Google/Amazon/etc has their own competing streaming service.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Geforce Now but I am not surprised that games will start moving away from it to secure exclusive deals. It has been free and in beta for so long. I wonder if Destiny will also move off of it. Personally I hope not since Destiny 2 via Stadia doesn't play with Steam players which is one of Stadia's biggest flaw--marketing Stadia as a solution for people who do not want to build PCs but not being able to play by default with other players using different launchers.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of stupid since

1. You don't buy the game through nvidia
2. Its the steam version that you already own and are just using NVidias tech to play it without a PC.

But if stadia did pay for a deal than that means you would have to buy the game again on stadias platform since I don't think it uses or has access to any of your steam library