• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
...while also claiming £42 million in tax relief.

Guardian Article

But the company has paid no corporation tax between 2009 and 2018. It has also received £42m in tax credits from the government's video games tax relief scheme, which was set up in 2014 to bolster the UK's £5bn games industry, much of which is made up of small and medium-sized developers. The sum is equivalent to 19% of the total relief paid to the entire UK games industry since 2014, TaxWatch reports.

Unfortunately to be expected but claiming the tax relief at the same time is highly unethical.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well at least they used all that money to prevent crunch time for their staff and positive working conditions right?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Nothing will happen until rags like the daily mail start putting corporations on the front page to rile up their readers the way they do with "welfare queens".

Someone post that economy in cookies gif again, it's timeless.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm sure indie developer Rockstar really needed those tax reliefs.

Oct 27, 2017
Highly unethical? Well it's legal so why wouldn't they do it? We should fault the tax laws, not those that take advantage of them. I would take advantage too!

Legal =/= ethical.

Tax laws are unethical and large corporations for whom those tax laws are made and who take advantage of them are unethical.

And if you not only give them a pass but also admit you would partake in the same exploitative tax system, hey, you are as unethical as them.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a shithole of a company.
Yeah, but also this is very symptomatic of large businesses in the UK. Loads of huge chains on the UK high street do that same. They get away with huge unpaid corp tax and don't pay the rates (business council tax) in their area. Whereas small businesses on the high street get laser focused by HMRC and the council to pay shit on time.

The issue is with the government.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Corporation tax is levied on profits. Rockstar North are presumably diverting all their profits to Take Two through some loophole, so technically aren't making a profit, therefore no taxes. It's a standard way for businesses to fuck over the countries where they're based.

Oct 28, 2017
Highly unethical? Well it's legal so why wouldn't they do it? We should fault the tax laws, not those that take advantage of them. I would take advantage too!

Wow, this is one shitty post.

Taxation is the lifeblood of society. Without taxes being paid, you are a leech on the state and everything it provides to the people. Rockstar North employees use countless facets of taxpayer funded society features which benefit their lives, which the company then benefits from. To say "Oh its OK, its just a loophole" when they leech like this is unacceptable.

They even fucking raked back tax relief from a scheme set up with taxpayer fucking money. How scummy can you get?

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, unfortunately I sorta agree. Rockstar have shareholders, they have a legal obligation to make as much profit as possible. If it's legally possible to make greater profits, they will do this. Perhaps they'll change something now that this has been made public, but it won't be because of moral or ethical reasons- it'll be due to negative PR doing more damage than reduced profits.

Greater governmental financial regulation is the only way to tackle this.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore all the massive corporations draining our society by dodging billions in taxes, it's the immigrants and the EU who are the real problem!

Oct 27, 2017

Child company/department, the parent company is outside of the UK. It doesn't matter that the UK is where the development happens, you can incorporate your company outside.

Everyone is doing this to some degree: Apple, Amazon, Google etc. They go to the countries which give tax-benefits for the workplaces for labor/production, but they incorporate themselves in the countries which give tax-benefits for the corporate profit. Win-win

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunately you're not wrong. Weak tax laws and tax havens enable these cunts to keep being cunts. In Rockstar North's case, the fact that their tax avoidance went on for over a decade and that they still continue to pay no taxes is especially galling. The tax payers then shelling out 42 million pounds to support the company is just the cherry on top.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The Housers are gonna lampoon tax evasion in GTA VI without a tinge of irony aren't they?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My good guys the main issue may be the law but you can't say the companies profiting on loopholes on that law are doing nothing wrong and are not at fault.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I suddenly feel bad for Nicola Sturgeon. She loves her country so much and she has to deal with this.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Well he's right. Companies exist to make money so of course they'll do this if it's legal, they'd be idiots not to. Just like we're idiots for making it legal.

The issue is in the law not in Rockstar.

Who is we? It isn't my choice that it is legal via a loophole. And just because the law allows a workaround doesn't mean Rockstar isn't exerting utterly digusting moral behaviour they are 100% aware of.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, nobody should be forced to give half of his income to the government (actually it's more if you keep in mind ~20% VAT in most European countries)

Who are these people giving half their income to the goverment? Because it certainly isn't the people who make more than they know what to do with.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I suddenly feel bad for Nicola Sturgeon. She loves her country so much and she has to deal with this.
Corporation tax isn't devolved, so this isn't really something for the Scottish government to deal with, although that being said, she might have to comment on it anyway since there's so little awareness of what's devolved and what isn't.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
If you're against this, stop putting people that support this in power. It's pretty simple (you would need to convince 51% of the people who can vote, to do the same though.)

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I was shocked by this.

Although taking from the tax relief they put absolutely no money towards is a nice shit cherry on top.