• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
From the game's Steam page:

We are making a number of changes to make sure players who own Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City can continue to enjoy these games.

New Players
Starting 03/19/2020, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will replace both Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City wherever it is currently digitally available. Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will as also be available via the Rockstar Games Launcher.
Current game save files will be compatible with Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.

As a result of this update the following services will no longer be available in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition:
  • Games for Windows Live
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Leaderboards

The following Radio Stations will be temporarily unavailable in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
  • RamJam FM, Self-Actualization FM, and Vice City FM (previously available in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City)

Note: Because Japanese is a supported language for Grand Theft Auto IV, but is not supported for Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, players will continue to be able to play Grand Theft Auto IV with Japanese sub-titles but will need to select another language in order to play Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.

Current Players
Players who have previously installed and played Grand Theft Auto IV or Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be able to update their copy to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition through the following means:

Steam Users
Depending on the game, players on Steam will need to install or update their current game:
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be removed and replaced with GTAIV: Complete Edition in the launcher library. Update file size is expected to be approximately 22GB
  • Grand Theft Auto IV owners will download content from Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City and their game will update to GTAIV: Complete Edition. Update file size is expected to be approximately 6GB
Physical Media
  • Games not previously activated using Games for Windows Live will be able to use the Key on the back of the game manual to activate and update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Games for Windows Live Digital Store Purchases
  • Games previously activated using Games for Windows Live will require players to create and/or link their Social Club accounts in replacement of Games for Windows Live to update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition

Note: New activations from players trying to install current copies of Grand Theft Auto IV may be disrupted until Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition is available. All users will need to be connected to the internet and authenticate their copy of the game.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to buy it one Steam sale but could not get past some error message, Xliveless also did not work.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That R* would "port" the game to Social Club was obvious, but I'm a little surprised multiplayer is destined for the chopping block. Anything to get people to buy into GTA5 Online, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
That R* would "port" the game to Social Club was obvious, but I'm a little surprised multiplayer is destined for the chopping block. Anything to get people to buy into GTA5 Online, I suppose.
GTA5 online is a pay-to-win hell, of course they want you in on that. It makes them crazy money.

Not sure if it's that much on PC with all the cheaters giving people money, but still better than keeping people playing GTA4.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
GTA5 online is a pay-to-win hell, of course they want you in on that. It makes them crazy money.

Not sure if it's that much on PC with all the cheaters giving people money, but still better than keeping people playing GTA4.

Oh, I get the napkin business logic, but GTA4 is so "old" that I can't imagine terminating MP for magical beanstalk reasons is going to make any sort of material or otherwise noticeable difference to GTA5O's player numbers -- in short, it feels like a lateral move. Again, though, I understand the iffyy reasoning that lead to this decision: those who still play GTA4 MP are going to be pissed initially, but, hey, odds are they'll get over it and migrate to GTA5O.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

There's really no 'winning' in GTA Online. People pay to get the cool stuff in free roam and PvE missions mostly.

Oct 27, 2017
A shame to see multi-player go but glad GFWL is gone, I guess since GTA V has been out for ages people won't be that upset that multiplayer is gone.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
As a result of this update the following services will no longer be available in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition:

• Games for Windows Live
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Leaderboards
> Complete edition
> Multiplayer removed

ok then

Still excited tho!

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
I wish rockstar would remaster this game I would love to replay it on current or next gen hardware. (Only have a PS4 and switch.)

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like the bare basics to get GTAIV sold again, and thowing even more of the soundtrack in the trash to do so

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I could never manage to get around the various issues running it on my PC and gave up.

Can't wait to play my favourite GTA again.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait.

GTA4 had multiplayer? Since when?! It sure as hell didn't have it when it launched.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait.

GTA4 had multiplayer? Since when?! It sure as hell didn't have it when it launched.
I found out too waaaaaaaaay after the game launched. Never heard of it for years. I still don't know how it was, like, was it free roaming like GTA V ? My first Rockstar online experience was Red Dead Redemption (and I loved it, despite being shot randomly every mile or so)

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i wish they would also fix the performance issues, doesn't the game only use 1 or 2 cpu cores? it ran so bad the last time i tried it, it was difficult to get it to a stable 60fps lmao

also are they cutting even more radio stations? what does temporarily mean in this context?

Oct 25, 2017
I found out too waaaaaaaaay after the game launched. Never heard of it for years. I still don't know how it was, like, was it free roaming like GTA V ? My first Rockstar online experience was Red Dead Redemption (and I loved it, despite being shot randomly every mile or so)
Various multiplayer modes including deathmatch, Cops N Crooks, Turf War, races and co-op missions. You also have a free roam mode but there isn't much to do other than cause chaos.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it did, it has been there since launch. It's also infamous for having some of the worst online achievements/trophies for those who care about that stuff.
Unless the PC version was different, GTA IV has always had MP.
I remember it always being there.
Lmao it had multiplayer since launch on every plattform. You access it via the in-game phone.
It must've been pretty out of the way, because I don't remember multiplayer ever being a thing in GTAIV.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this the first GTA game to officially have multiplayer mode? I remember it was pretty big deal back then, and now everyone acts like they didn't know. *shrug*

This is a bitter sweet update/release for sure. Removal of core feature is high price to pay to have version without GFWL.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the last time i tried gta 4 online on PC it was a ghost town, so while its definitely a shame, i really dont think it had much of a community anymore.

another ash

Feb 12, 2020
also are they cutting even more radio stations? what does temporarily mean in this context?
If someone actually knows then correct me but I think it's either they're trying to re-license some music or they need to change how the radio works since they're combining expansion and main game into one game (only Episodes from Liberty City radios are unavailable).

Removal of core feature is high price to pay to have version without GFWL.
As much as I hated using GFWL, GTAIV multiplayer has some of the most wonderful memories for me and my old friends that I haven't seen in years. Sad to see it gone but at least I have until March 19th to play it one more time (at least until someone mods a way to play it maybe?).

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
As much as I hated using GFWL, GTAIV multiplayer has some of the most wonderful memories for me and my old friends that I haven't seen in years. Sad to see it gone but at least I have until March 19th to play it one more time (at least until someone mods a way to play it maybe?).

I remember being on the backseat of a car as a passenger, and being able to point your gun towards the car and shoot your friends and blow up the car.

Trolling never felt this good.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
ooh! I guess I should play GTAIV again before it gets removed to get as many of the achievements as I can lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
but yes, in its prime, gta 4 online was fucking awesome.
it was basically constant the wild west. Non stop mayhem and trolling but somehow it was really enjoyable. The races were fucking hilarious too with those physics. So much carnage.