• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The idea was that there was no proof Russians were behind the hacks/leaks -- the DNC didn't turn over the server for analysis, moronic and easily proven false claims that files couldn't be transfered over the internet as fast as 180 mbps (lol) -- and thus it was a phony narrative created to smear Trump.

The fact that the indictments outline all kinds of evidence of these Russians committing the hacks and leaks, completely unrelated to any data found on the DNC server, makes it utterly astounding that they are still trying to claim there is something shady about DNC not turning over the server. This is aside from the fact that these people don't seem to understand that the mirror they DID turn over is by definition 100% identical to the original server, unless the argument is that there would have been the culprit's fingerprints or pubes on the original hard drive or something.

Seth Rich's pubes

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Did he forget the entire US intelligence community took the unprecedented step of sharing their assessment about Russian interference publicly in January 2017 (which Trump rejects to this day)? Or that Obama took punitive measures against Russian diplomats and diplomatic facilities (which Trump reversed and his NSA Flynn secretly smoothed over with the Russian ambassador and later lied about.)

Comey's people had been investigating this shit since 2016 and this investigation is the on-the-record reason Trump fired him!

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The idea was that there was no proof Russians were behind the hacks/leaks -- the DNC didn't turn over the server for analysis, moronic and easily proven false claims that files couldn't be transfered over the internet as fast as 180 mbps (lol) -- and thus it was a phony narrative created to smear Trump.

The fact that the indictments outline all kinds of evidence of these Russians committing the hacks and leaks, completely unrelated to any data found on the DNC server, makes it utterly astounding that they are still trying to claim there is something shady about DNC not turning over the server. This is aside from the fact that these people don't seem to understand that the mirror they DID turn over is by definition 100% identical to the original server, unless the argument is that there would have been the culprit's fingerprints or pubes on the original hard drive or something.
The entire basis of the attacks on Hillary for using a private server and now this DNC server stuff is taking advantage of the general public's lack of knowledge of how these systems work but the primary reason it's so effective is because of the large number of people in this country who despise Hillary and the DNC and thus believe anything bad said about them regardless of how ridiculous it is. During the campaign I sat side by side with Republicans at work who know exactly how classified messaging works but who yet were repeating intentionally misleading headlines from Fox News about Hillary forwarding classified materials through her email server. I thought my face would break from the side eye.
The only thing right here is that Obama got played hard by the Russians.
Obama was being Obama, or in other words fair to the point of being unfair to those who most deserved fairness.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The big problem is the Republican base doesn't think, they just repeat. They automatically believe anything the right wing media or the GOP tell them without protest, no matter how vague or nonsensical, or even if it contradicts something previously claimed. So all you see is copypasted talking points they don't understand, but believe are facts.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The big problem is the Republican base doesn't think, they just repeat. They automatically believe anything the right wing media or the GOP tell them without protest, no matter how vague or nonsensical, or even if it contradicts something previously claimed. So all you see is copypasted talking points they don't understand, but believe are facts.
That's basically what happens when you care more about your team than (in this case) the fate of everyone not on your team. You see this same behavior with sports fans all the time.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will trump bring this up in the putin summit?

$1000 says no

According to nutjobs on Twitter, he should just tell Putin that he will pardon any and all Russians convicted from the Mueller probe, to stick it to Mueller. You know, pardoning hostile foreign agents who attempted to subvert our democracy to own the libs.

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking about a hypothetical scenario. Let's say China sees what Russia is doing and decides to get in on the mix and hacks the RNC and personal e-mails of Republicans in the lead up to 2018. Let's say they create a website called ResistanceLeaks.com and begin releasing all kinds of stuff in the e-mails. Internal arguments, voter targeting data, and anything else you can think of that could hurt the GOP. What would be the reaction by Democrats be at that point?

Would they come to the defense of Republicans in the face of a cyber attack on them? It's a hell of a thing to wonder.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I've been thinking about a hypothetical scenario. Let's say China sees what Russia is doing and decides to get in on the mix and hacks the RNC and personal e-mails of Republicans in the lead up to 2018. Let's say they create a website called ResistanceLeaks.com and begin releasing all kinds of stuff in the e-mails. Internal arguments, voter targeting data, and anything else you can think of that could hurt the GOP. What would be the reaction by Democrats be at that point?

Would they come to the defense of Republicans in the face of a cyber attack on them? It's a hell of a thing to wonder.

Wasn't RNC already hacked, Russia just never released obtained documents?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

https://twitter.com/resisterhood/status/1018221264077541378
Interesting thread. We now know from the indictment that the Russians stole Hillary's campaign analytics in September. The Trump campaign suddenly shifted hundreds of thousands in advertising in early October. It's gonna be very interesting to see if Brad Parscale or CA got ahold of Clinton's analytics.

Jesus, if the Trump campaign did get a hold of that data, it just goes to show how much Russia truly did fuck with the election.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Interesting thread. We now know from the indictment that the Russians stole Hillary's campaign analytics in September. The Trump campaign suddenly shifted hundreds of thousands in advertising in early October. It's gonna be very interesting to see if Brad Parscale or CA got ahold of Clinton's analytics.

Who cares! Russia didn't change anyone's votes on the voting machines! Targeted ad campaigns based on stolen voter information would have no effect on people's mindsets when they went to vote! No collusion! Witch Hunt! MAGA!

Oct 27, 2017
I think that this coming out might be more dangerous than it happening. We're basically a country of two different sides right now. If it's really as it's starting to seem that the Trump campaign was not only working with but being directed by the Russians, this is a scary revelation. 30% of the country will never accept it. They will get violent.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I think that this coming out might be more dangerous than it happening. We're basically a country of two different sides right now. If it's really as it's starting to seem that the Trump campaign was not only working with but being directed by the Russians, this is a scary revelation. 30% of the country will never accept it. They will get violent.
Last time I checked, 30% is a minority number and I doubt all 30% would do shit.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Who cares! Russia didn't change anyone's votes on the voting machines! Targeted ad campaigns based on stolen voter information would have no effect on people's mindsets when they went to vote! No collusion! Witch Hunt! MAGA!

It' s really hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
When the next protests happen, they should focus on his illegitimacy as a president.

He won't take it seriously, but it'll get under his skin.

Although, I think he's just on autopilot at this point.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the next protests happen, they should focus on his illegitimacy as a president.

No, I agree that should be the focus.
Whatever drugs he takes at some point he's gonna get a break down, there is way to little pressure on him and his legitimacy, also from the leaders of other countries who he continuesly meets at conferences.

I tried to say this before, but there was a time non of his bs would fly, the other leaders would simply say you're drunk go home, US or not, nuclear power or not. But our "world leaders" nowadays sadly are cowards.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere

We need to stop assuming he feels anything about this shit. It's not about him. It's about the rest of the GOP. We need to convince them if they ride with him until the grave, they'll join him.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know this is a joke but it's basically identical to what people are saying about the illegally funded leave campaign in Britain.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
We need to stop assuming he feels anything about this shit. It's not about him. It's about the rest of the GOP. We need to convince them if they ride with him until the grave, they'll join him.
Going to be difficult if so many are complicit and playing defense because their livelihoods depend on it.

It's just wild to me that after all the GOP does, generation after generation, there will be yet another generation that's identities are so intwined and dependent on the GOP's success that they will persevere off the momentum alone, and live to scheme and cheat and manipulate another day.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Going to be difficult if so many are complicit and playing defense because their livelihoods depend on it.

It's just wild to me that after all the GOP does, generation after generation, there will be yet another generation that's identities are so intwined and dependent on the GOP's success that they will persevere off the momentum alone, and live to scheme and cheat and manipulate another day.

They've been shedding support for ~11 years. I remember talking to a colleague in college about the GOP - the reasons she was supporting the party were legitimate, but when we discussed it further she started seriously having doubts.

This isn't a new trend. They're not inclusive - they will lose by default if given enough time. The trouble is getting rid of this bullshit quicker.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

This is why Trump claimed not to be spending money or much. The Russians where paying for it all and running his campaign for him with Americans helping. This is why the GOP, the NRA, everyone is freaked out.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mueller probably has gone over this months ago. Hoping to get the truth before the end of the year.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): Escalating cause of prior ban, relentless pursuit of cross forum drama, thread derail
I see ResetERA mods don't like it when people call a Russia shill out.

Hahahah oh my god that's fucking absurd.

wow really shitty move mods :/

yeah, some bullshit decision right there. "offsite sleuthing" come on now.

Yep, what the fuck at that ban, mods? We really need some real transparency here.

Pointing out a lengthy history of whataboutism really really shouldn't be bannable.

are you really going the "just ignore nazis" route?

Fucking wow.

Whoever this moderator is, needs to be de-modded & lose his/her modding privileges.

If a quick Google search turns up daming results, that's hardly sleuthing.

The mod silence on this is a bad look.

Pointing out someone's previous post history should never be bannable. If you are voicing an opinion and then claiming the "other side" has the issues...well that's OK. But when it comes out that YOU are the "other side"..well damn, what the hell? I was over there for a LONG time and this behavior is just sickening which is why I left and joined here.

Why are we openly letting a Russian shill "both sides" in a very important Russia/Trump thread?

Seriously.

I expect to be sacrificed on the altar of civility any minute for what I've already posted.
I don't have any alts lined up like the trolls do, either.

Mods need to step up and address this asap.

Damn, the other poster got away unscathed? I thought they both got banned. That's disheartening.

Yeah this is not a matter of talking privately with mods. Many of us here question the 3 day ban of Jackpot, so an answer for all of us would be important.

So if a poster from this forum got caught spewing hate against the LGBT community and other minorities on a public forum, the mods will ban anyone that points it out? That makes me feel real fucking safe and valued as an LGBT member here.

That's what I was thinking, this is extenuating circumstances. There have been a couple of new Russian shill accounts the past few days that I've noticed, and those were basically insta banned. But this is someone that established themselves and somehow slipped through. It's getting kind of insane that they're even targeting this little site of ours.

#freejackpot

A real american hero

For those of you who wanted an answer, I contacted the mods multiple times and after several days, they finally replied with:

admin team said:
Jackpot said:
I wish to dispute this in the strongest possible terms. What kind of decision-making process ranks "forum etiquette" greater than "showing user ACTIVELY. DEFENDS. WAR. CRIMES".

That's what you've made yourself a part of. Putting convenience and fretting over impropriety as more important than holding someone to account for spreading misinformation on multiple mass-murders. I know it's hardly something you expect to encounter on a video games forum but it happened and you made the judgement on where "war crime defending" fell on the moderation scale, and decided it was below that of expecting the user having to stand by their original comments.

If it had been evidence of sexual harassment, would you have responded the same? Swept it under the rug and shrugged it off as someone else's problem because it wasn't worth the hassle of handling prickly tempers in a forum thread? It's no different from the "but civility" cries of the far-right. Except instead of deflecting from poorly-disguised racist policies it's the out-and-out killing of civilians using military firepower.

Hello, thank you for reaching out. We have been extremely consistent in enforcing our rule against off site sleuthing and drama since day one. We have no plans to disrupt that precedent at this time.

That was it. No further replies were forthcoming. Much transparency!

The fact that they don't address the content of my email is pretty much a tacit admission of guilt.

I fully expect this simply unbearable breach of netiquette to be acted on far faster than their response to me, but at least I can console myself during my time away with the fact that for the entire duration of my life, I have never made myself part of an organisation and process that protected war crime defenders in the name of making a forum thread run more smoothly.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Wait.. I thought one of the first moderating guide lines that banning for offsite asshattery (twitter etc. publicly accessible material) was the thing to do. And a point many celebrated when migrating.

One line that should be edited in the FAQ:
On ResetEra, we aim to be as transparent as possible about the moderation of the site

This has not been applicable on multiple instances on this site.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.. I thought one of the first moderating guide lines that banning for offsite asshattery (twitter etc. publicly accessible material) was the thing to do. And a point many celebrated when migrating.

One line that should be edited in the FAQ:

This has not been applicable on multiple instances on this site.
Yeah, the line about "transparency" is bullshit. If they were transparent, they wouldn't insist on users having to PM them to question their decisions, instead of just speaking publicly.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who wanted an answer, I contacted the mods multiple times and after several days, they finally replied with:

That was it. No further replies were forthcoming. Much transparency!

The fact that they don't address the content of my email is pretty much a tacit admission of guilt.

I fully expect this simply unbearable breach of netiquette to be acted on far faster than their response to me, but at least I can console myself during my time away with the fact that for the entire duration of my life, I have never made myself part of an organisation and process that protected war crime defenders in the name of making a forum thread run more smoothly.

I'm with you still, man. This is probably running for a lock, that's generally how it goes, but it was a poor choice on whoever enforced that. I see their logic, but there comes times when you have to look past the letter of the law. A warning and edit, okay, still wouldn't agree but I could find that reasonable. A ban was totally ridiculous and unneeded, especially since the poster in question faced no consquence. I said it then and I'll say it now.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
At the very inception of this forum we emphasized that this would a fresh start for the community and all who wished to take part in it. Even if that were not the spirit in which ResetEra was founded, we would have zero interest in hosting cross forum drama, or in rewarding members for stalking others across other platforms. We have never been coy about these principles.

In this particular case it appears that Freedom Fighter will no longer be able to participate here without this incident coloring every post he makes henceforth. For this reason we are closing his account.

To emphasize how seriously we take the escalation of this issue to this point, and to make clear that this is not behavior that will be tolerated, Jackpot's account will also be closed.

Please return to the topic at hand. If you have any questions, our inboxes are open.