• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Update (26/5): He's returning to the role

Original post.

Last edited:

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I read the tweet as if it's not by choice (the broken heart). Maybe Sega is using Schwartz given the popularity of the movie?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This cosplay will need to be updated

81qy74hst5861.jpg

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Weird time to announce this without any sight of the new game being announced anytime soon... gonna miss him

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah that doesn't sound like its by choice, which makes me think they're going to use Schwartz going forward, or at least someone like him.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
but he was the best Sonic.

He stepped down or was replaced?

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I wish him best of luck (not that he needs it, he plays lots of other amazing characters). He was a great Sonic. I hope if they are changing the VA again that they still keep Mike Pollock.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
End of an era. While there were some rough spots to his voice acting, I appreciate the work he put in (especially in Boom).

Wonder if Sega's really going to go with Jean Ralphio.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a shame. Of the english Sonic voices he was the best one imo. Hopefully his replacement is as good.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for him to return to Resident Evil, but I think Capcom has gone non-union for the new games. At least, RE2-R was.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just when people were getting used to him as the new voice. smh SEGA.

I am interested to see what the replacement sounds like though.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
10 years is the longest tenure of any English voice actor that Sonic's had. I don't know if I'd say RCS is exactly the kind of voice I imagined for the character but this still feels really surreal and weird in a way that the changes from Drummond and Griffith didn't.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if they are reinterpreting the character to be closer to the movie's interpretation, which necessitated a change in voice actor.

It's sad, but (and this is weird to say) I do think the movie's more excitable-teen Sonic works better nowadays than the traditional 90's Radicool Sonic.

Still, crazy to see RCS go.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be honest I never liked him as Sonic's voice, he always played Sonic as TOO above it all of that makes sense?

Not that the games recently gave him much to work with but I couldn't imagine a Sonic game having a semi-serious story and him pulling off that.

I like him in other roles so I assume it was probably a weird Sega mandate that he needed to be as irreverent as possible.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so used to sonic's voice changing (as well as the entire cast) that I'm surprised it took this long to happen for the ol' Sega shakeup.
I enjoyed RCS's take on sonic, I have it heavily interwoven with "comedy sonic" in my mind so perhaps this is for the best if the next game is more adventure like (or just adventure remake or whatever that year old speculation was)

I've been jumping between SA2, unleashed and generations this last month and the changing voices are giving me whiplash.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to me like some major changes may be happening in Sonic going forward. Super curious about what the next game will be like.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god. His take just got grating after a couple of years. It was fine in Colors but I guess by Lost World it just started rubbing me the wrong way. I REALLY hope we go back to the Ryan/Jason-style voice, and his successor isn't just doing a worse version of Roger's voice.

I'd be so down with Ben Schwartz taking over, he was great in the movie and has that Ryan/Jason style.

Better yet if they can FINALLY work out those union issues with Ryan and just get him back... he DID voice Sonic in that Sega-backed Sonic & Tails R audio shorts recently with Mike Pollock and even Lisa Ortiz came back as Amy (hell even David Humphrey came back.. as Knuckles oddly)... O_o

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's remember this great joke from Sonic Boom that only someone like Roger could have done:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I wish WB used him as Batman more often. I think he's only voiced him once or twice since Arkham Origins.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
It's kind of strange to think that his run ended up being twice as long as Jason Griffith's but I still associate Jason Griffith with Sonic more. Nostalgia bias I guess.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda amazing to me that Jun'ichi Kanemaru and most of the other Adventure era VAs (besides Eggman, RIP) are still voicing their respective characters in Japan to this day. Whereas the English cast has constantly been rebooted over and over over the years.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
He wasn't really my favorite Sonic voice actor but that's wild, I didn't expect Sega to recast Sonic anytime soon.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era for sure. I would not be opposed to Ben Schwartz. I liked his take on Sonic.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
This made realize the last sonic game I played was released in 2004, I think I only know his version of the character from smash bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.