• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
https://link.nbcnews.com/view/5bdb51a22c885e5d2e12e6e49w40o.18d/e14ce7de

What's Next: Goodell has the option to end the League's exclusivity deal with AT&T at the end of the 2019 season, and said last month that he's "looking to see how we can change the delivery."

Disney and Amazon are top prospective buyers, while Google has wavered and Netflix has taken a hard pass, sources with knowledge of the NFL's discussions say.

• "What could Disney add to their arsenal to be distinct in the market?" one source asked. "Every out-of-market NFL game."

• "Google has been on and off," the source said.

• "The NFL always wanted [Netflix chief] Reed [Hastings] to be interested and he never was."

This would be massive for either Amazon or Disney.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Amazon gets it and it's tied to Amazon Prime it'll be huge. The amount of subscriber growth will be staggering.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We already get SNF or MNF through Prime, right? Seems like Amazon would be 100% all in on buying this.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Apple is the one most in need of interesting content for their upcoming service. I wonder why they're not a player in this? Disney with ESPN+ makes the most sense though and it's how I hope it goes. Although if it does, kiss that 5 dollar a month subscription fee goodbye.

edit: my bad. I misread the title as Redzone Channel for some reason. RZC is far more interesting to me than Sunday Ticket.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I want the NFL to have the option for people to subscribe to the Redzone channel. That is the channel I am interested in. I have Directv Now and they are dropping NFL Network and never had Redzone on their service.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for Disney, the Marvel and NFL Films Cinematic Universes crossover would be epic

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
This would be only out of market games. Far less compelling than all games.

Obviously there are ways to get around the location issue, but not for the "regular" fan.

Nov 1, 2017
Oh hey cool, can it maybe cost less than all of my money, my soul, the deed to my house, an arm, a leg, all of my earthly possessions, and my firstborn child?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find that hard to believe considering the amount of money this is going to cost whoever wins it. The end price for the current NFL Package to consumers its like $300. How is Amazon going to work that in to Prime?

I initially thought of that but it's Amazon and Disney we're talking about. You don't think they'll outright dump a couple billion for the deal? Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass lol

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. As long as there's Redzone at an affordable price, I'm good. Always thought Sunday Ticket was ridiculously overpriced.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I initially thought of that but it's Amazon and Disney we're talking about. You don't think they'll outright dump a couple billion for the deal? Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass lol
2 of the biggest companies in the world don't need to take an L on this. They'll only do it if they can make big money. That either means they don't do it or they charge a lot for it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 of the biggest companies in the world don't need to take an L on this. They'll only do it if they can make big money. That either means they don't do it or they charge a lot for it.

Considering Amazon has Prime and Disney will soon have Disney+ I don't see how they'll catch an L with the amount of subscribers they'll get just from it. Think about that for a sec. Initially, yeah, it'll be a huge investment.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Not mad at all Netflix didn't want it.

Seems like Disney and some sort of ESPN bundle would be a better fit. And Amazon wouldn't be bad as long as it's an optional purchase. The full Sunday Ticket is like $300 USD a year, or like $400 USD with Redzone. If Prime goes up too much to cover the cost, people that don't care at all about the NFL will start to get pissed and cancel Prime.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hoping for Disney, the Marvel and NFL Films Cinematic Universes crossover would be epic

Ill just leave this here

e457a55e58ae80b81b5b3bca19389894.jpg

Jul 18, 2018
Amazon has already shown they can handle the server load. They already hosted games on their platform, i think it was Thursday Night Football games?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Amazon has Prime and Disney will soon have Disney+ I don't see how they'll catch an L with the amount of subscribers they'll get just from it. Think about that for a sec. Initially, yeah, it'll be a huge investment.
Don't see how Amazon would get a huge bump off this considering they already have 100+ million Prime members. Disney+ maybe but they are already pricing their service so low they'll take a bath. I don't see a path to profitability unless they can somehow get a bargain from the NFL.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
Include all games, regardless if they are in or out of market, and I am in. I don't have cable, I can't get stations with an antenna, and I have 4.5 hours away from KC yet I am considered "in-market" for Royals and Chiefs games. Fuck that.

Oct 27, 2017
If Amazon gets this it better not add to the price of Prime - make it an extra optional thing. If Prime goes up in cost for this I'm out.

Nov 16, 2017
If I am Amazon I want this. They need it more than Disney. Their streaming is lacking in comparison to competitors so they need to splurge.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Please, please, please.

All I Want is RedZone on YouTube TV or Amazon Prime TBH. If Amazon bought it and took a loss bundling it into Prime I'd fall over in my chair. If YouTube TV offered it as an add-on I'd subscribe right away.

Include all games, regardless if they are in or out of market, and I am in. I don't have cable, I can't get stations with an antenna, and I have 4.5 hours away from KC yet I am considered "in-market" for Royals and Chiefs games. Fuck that.

Unfortunately, I doubt that'll change. The local network would revolt.

Don't see how Amazon would get a huge bump off this considering they already have 100+ million Prime members. Disney+ maybe but they are already pricing their service so low they'll take a bath. I don't see a path to profitability unless they can somehow get a bargain from the NFL.

I don't think it's about profitability for Amazon, but content acquisition, and NFL content is the golden goose of content. FOX's successful play for NFL games 25 years ago is still talked about today by ABC/NBC/CBS and ESPN executives as a huge mistake for them.

Bill Simmons had an interview with former ESPN Exec Bill SKipper (the guy who fired Simmons from ESPN), and they talk a lot about content rights and their value:

Check out starting around 1:05:00 or so, when Skipper begins, "When I became the content guy [...] I said we just have to be comfortable just buying rights..."

It's also why Netflix was willing to take massive losses buying up content rights and production studio rights over the last 5 years, and now they're the most powerful player in Hollywood when everybody 5 years ago was like "HOw will this be profitable for them??"

Last edited:

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI

That's what ESPN thought when they overpaid for Monday Night Football a few years ago. They thought it would bring new subscribers, so they negotiated higher higher carriage fees with the cable providers, but less guaranteed subscribers, figuring that more people would eat the extra cost and add ESPN to their cable package. The higher fees didn't offset the guaranteed viewers they lost, and they took a bath on the deal. That's why there were huge layoffs at ESPN a year or two ago, and keep in mind that was at the order of their parent company, Disney. I'm sure that Disney would love to get a new NFL deal, but they're not going to overpay for it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
As a Cowboys fan, I'd love to not have to pay (or at least as much) for the like 2 games per season that aren't nationally televised or the game of the week.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone would be better than DirecTV. I'd pay Disney for ESPN+, or throw a few bucks at Amazon Prime for this, and would even add this onto YouTube TV if possible.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
why would netflix ever care about this. such an odd thing for the NFL to "want"
Easy. If Sunday Ticket streaming could be added to the Netflix package, that would be massive for both parties. There are far more Netflix subscribers than DirecTV subs, and could potentially add millions of new Netflix subs.