• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Just launched today (although the article says tomorrow so not sure), using the US model of full speed up to 10GB, then throttled afterwards. $75 all in with unlimited calls and texting and the usual. As is also typical of Canada, expect the other two to follow almost immediately.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/rogers-...-plans-expects-new-purchase-options-1.1272116

Rogers says its new Infinite wireless plans will start at $75 for up to 10 gigabytes of full-speed data usage per month, followed by unlimited data at reduced speeds but without additional fees for going over the limit.

The Toronto-based company, which operates across Canada, says its new unlimited data plans will become available Thursday.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I wonder if the $75 will be data only, knowing Rogers.

Also glad the article mentions Freedom (formerly Wind) - I've had 'unlimited' data consisting of 5GB with throttle past that for 5-6 years now.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogers is the company that tries to hijack my phone and bankrupt me when I stand too close to the shore in the San Juan islands. You guys are saints for putting up with it for this long. Also classic Rogers monkeypaw contract small print.

Also they're probably doing this to create a luxury tier for 5G and I'm sure they'd NEVER degrade performance and bandwidth to push people into that when it shows up later and worse than everyone else on the continent.

OP
OP
SirMossyBloke

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the $75 will be data only, knowing Rogers.

Also glad the article mentions Freedom (formerly Wind) - I've had 'unlimited' data consisting of 5GB with throttle past that for 5-6 years now.

Yet, but this is now going to be on a much bigger, and more importantly, faster network. Basically Freedom but without the cell tower downsides.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Rogers is the company that tries to hijack my phone and bankrupt me when I stand too close to the shore in the San Juan islands. You guys are saints for putting up with it for this long. Also classic Rogers monkeypaw contract small print.

My wife has Fido (subsidiary of Rogers) and when we lived in Victoria she had to phone multiple times to get them to cancel charges for 'roaming' if she got too close to the beaches and caught a Seattle tower.

Embraze

Oct 27, 2017
It's throttled to 256kbps after you go over your cap which is pretty much useless for most things except email and Whatsapp.

OP
OP
SirMossyBloke

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
It's throttled to 256kbps after you go over your cap which is pretty much useless for most things except email and Whatsapp.

Oh yeah, totally garbage speed but it legally allows them to use the term "unlimited" lol. I'm more happy about a $75 10GB plan again that hopefully won't disappear after 3 weeks. Much better than our current pricing.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017

Also they're probably doing this to create a luxury tier for 5G and I'm sure they'd NEVER degrade performance and bandwidth to push people into that when it shows up later and worse than everyone else on the continent.

We don't have a choice. The three companies are in cahoots. They are actively trying to end net neutrality, they charge more per Mb than any other country, they feed our elected officials pockets to keep a blind eye to their blatant market rigging, and they drive their employees to depression and anxiety.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I pay $60/month for 13GB, the reception kinda sucks though with Freedom. But Shaw is always improving Freedom. I get free calls across Canada and the US too.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Rogers fucking sucks. So does literally all the ISP/Cell Carriers. It's disgusting how shit we are treated over here with all this, but this is the lay of the land when 3 companies own literally all the towers, and lines in the country.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Robelus! I know Freedom is part of Shaw now but they have been doing it for their entire existance and never had a single billing issue. Until I went with TekSavvy for everything else, I had to call Rogers and Bell pretty much for every month for billing issues. And what a surprise they never made an error in my favour.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogers fucking sucks. So does literally all the ISP/Cell Carriers. It's disgusting how shit we are treated over here with all this, but this is the lay of the land when 3 companies own literally all the towers, and lines in the country.

I grew up in the uk when it was a nationalized government owned company and the idea of free local calls in the US blew my mind. We were more or less forbidden to use the phone unless it was an emergency- which on a dial phone was the number that took thirty times longer to dial than the quickest one. I didn't really have a cellphone until I moved to the states so I've no idea how it changed or compares now that there's competition. I have free international roaming and data on T-Mobile so I don't deal with it much but I am still scarred from a trip to Vancouver about a decade ago when ATT literally disconnected and cancelled my in progress navigation (despite having local DL maps) until I agreed to a Rogers rate.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Most providers still have some variation of the same pricing scheme within $5-10. It's kind of annoying. :-/ I own my device and I still pay about $52 (after tax) for 4GB with Videotron. Still feels like too much and wish there was a $35 (after tax) plan that offered that amount of data or more.

No chance I'm touching these higher end unlimited plans. Too expensive.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Wait they can do that? I thought if you don't have an international plan your phone just didn't work.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'll switch to an unlimited plan if Videotron starts offering one. No way in hell am I going back to Rogers again though.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Is Freedom really that bad in reception?

It's a lot better than it used to be, particularly in buildings. They expanded the network a bit a few months back, too - I don't know how much it impacted other areas but I get 'home' reception a lot further out of Edmonton than I used to.

The main drawback is if you travel a lot as they are still confined to the bigger cities.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
I use an unlimited cricket plan as my home internet with an old junk phone. This is it's usage. They never slow it down past the advertised speeds and I still play games online just fine, stream movies just fine. This line costs $25

OhBfu3a.png

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'll take rogers over bell. Bell tries to fuck you every month. Get shit fixed after waiting hours or days, then you have to deal with them again next month.

The only thing bell has over rogers is superior tv iq and cable boxes that don't act like they're from 20 years ago.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's a lot better than it used to be, particularly in buildings. They expanded the network a bit a few months back, too - I don't know how much it impacted other areas but I get 'home' reception a lot further out of Edmonton than I used to.

The main drawback is if you travel a lot as they are still confined to the bigger cities.
I tried Freedom a while ago it's brutal still. I live 3km from the Calgary city border and was roaming. I found it to be absolutely useless unless you live within the freedom network and never leave home, otherwise you're always switching between networks.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017

All our companies do this whenever you are within 5 km of the US border. It gets really annoying. They find any way to get you for roaming.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
^Yea this is what I figured. I have a $15 plan with Freedom and I get unlimited usage after my measly 250mb of full speed. It gets me by because I'm mainly only using it for whatsapp, Maps and minor web browsing. I would never pay 75$ for a plan. However tbh, as far as Rogers plan goes, this is definitely one of their best plans in recent years. 5G will make this all feel archaic again though

a916

Oct 25, 2017
^Yea this is what I figured. I have a $15 plan with Freedom and I get unlimited usage after my measly 250mb of full speed. It gets me by because I'm mainly only using it for whatsapp, Maps and minor web browsing. I would never pay 75$ for a plan. However tbh, as far as Rogers plan goes, this is definitely one of their best plans in recent years. 5G will make this all feel archaic again though

MobileSyrup says Freedom throttles at the same speed for "unlimited" too. And that their upload speed is half of that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait they can do that? I thought if you don't have an international plan your phone just didn't work.

Edit. I am responding to navigation aspect below but yes they switch cell towers and try to charge you roaming if you don't pay attention to the prompt - depends on your carrier how the behavior expresses itself- also burns battery like mad because your phone dances between towers and you have no user control to tell it not to do that.

I believe there was a setting that gave precedence to cell connection and would fall back to local map if you lost connection — but there was an intrusive pop up handshake between Rogers and ATT at the time that meant this particular scenario killed your routing completely until you pulled over and disabled roaming and cellular and started again from scratch.

First time it happened I didn't know how to solve until later that night. Second time was forgetfulness but I was raging.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MobileSyrup says Freedom throttles at the same speed for "unlimited" too. And that their upload speed is half of that.
Yea, I wasn't saying it doesn't. It's super barebones and won't be useful for anyone who likes to browse IG or use snapchat. I was just pointing out that it's usable for a low usage users but if you want data for apps that use it like IG/snapchat this offer is pointless. The only benefit is you won't get charged an arm and a leg because you were trying to find something essential like the address of the closet gas station

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I grew up in the uk when it was a nationalized government owned company and the idea of free local calls in the US blew my mind. We were more or less forbidden to use the phone unless it was an emergency- which on a dial phone was the number that took thirty times longer to dial than the quickest one. I didn't really have a cellphone until I moved to the states so I've no idea how it changed or compares now that there's competition. I have free international roaming and data on T-Mobile so I don't deal with it much but I am still scarred from a trip to Vancouver about a decade ago when ATT literally disconnected and cancelled my in progress navigation (despite having local DL maps) until I agreed to a Rogers rate.
Yeah it's really shitty. Thankfully some companies like Freedom are changing it albeit slowly. But the Oligopoly that the big 3 have here, being Rogers, Bell, and Telus. They all basically put out the same deals, and same everything. Watch the exact same deal being sent out by Rogers on Bell and Telus.

I fucking hate that they continue to own the lines like this and basically force other smaller ISPs to run on their lines.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
I just dumped Bell for Freedom Mobile (I had the original $60, 10GB plan) but once they stealth bumped my plan up by $5, I jumped ship. Today is my third day with Freedom, I don't notice a big difference yet (I'm in Mississauga) but my speeds are more than halved on my phone. However, I don't do much more than browse and stream and most of it is done on Wi-Fi anyway.

Should I jump over to this?

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
While Freedom might not have have the best coverage, I only pay $49 a month for 14GB of data and unlimited everything else. I'm keeping that plan for as long as I live.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
While Freedom might not have have the best coverage, I only pay $49 a month for 14GB of data and unlimited everything else. I'm keeping that plan for as long as I live.
Oh yeah I have something similar and it has a shitload of US and International Perks so I'm never dropping it.

OP
OP
SirMossyBloke

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I just dumped Bell for Freedom Mobile (I had the original $60, 10GB plan) but once they stealth bumped my plan up by $5, I jumped ship. Today is my third day with Freedom, I don't notice a big difference yet (I'm in Mississauga) but my speeds are more than halved on my phone. However, I don't do much more than browse and stream and most of it is done on Wi-Fi anyway.

Should I jump over to this?

I'd wait for more info first. The $75 plan could be off contract cost.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on that same 10gb for $65 everyone else is on. I'll be keeping that as I never go over the 10gb.

I'm on vacay visiting family in Ireland right now. I got a free sim off Eir and put 20 euro credit on it. For that, I get 30gb data and unlimited everything else for a month. We're getting rinsed in Canada

One small thing of note, the cell reception in major Canadian cities (Vancouver and Toronto) is leagues ahead of Dublin. So at least we're getting rinsed for a quality product

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish I could go with Freedom, but then I wouldn't have internet or cell connection like 95% of the month lol. I'll check out Telus' promo plan.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Considering I'm currently rocking 12GB with Telus for ~$140 after taxes and government employee 30% discount on a business plan, I am more than happy to see a big data plan push from Rogers. Give it a week and Telus will match or better, and then I can drive this insane cell phone bill back down.

Edit: and seeing the Telus response already. Brilliant, time to cut this bill in half for even more data!