• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever came close to the cap, the only issue I have is the plan is a BYOD plan, so since I'm in the market for a new phone, I have to buy the phone outright to keep my plan.

It ends up being cheaper to buy a new phone outright almost every single time nowadays (unless you're getting a cheap phone). I need an iPhone for work and it is essentially impossible to get a better deal than BYOD amortized over the life of a contract. And even if it was slightly better, ok cool I saved maybe a hundred dollars or two, that's a worth while cost to be off a contract.

For what it's worth I have a 6s plus and which I've had for 3 1/2 years and don't plan on upgrading soon.

Also for what it's worth, Bell did have unlimited internet years and years ago but people were running entire server farms off their wireless connection so the slow rate is designed to disincentivize those kinds of people.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
It ends up being cheaper to buy a new phone outright almost every single time nowadays (unless you're getting a cheap phone). I need an iPhone for work and it is essentially impossible to get a better deal than BYOD amortized over the life of a contract. And even if it was slightly better, ok cool I saved maybe a hundred dollars or two, that's a worth while cost to be off a contract.

For what it's worth I have a 6s plus and which I've had for 3 1/2 years and don't plan on upgrading soon.

Also for what it's worth, Bell did have unlimited internet years and years ago but people were running entire server farms off their wireless connection so the slow rate is designed to disincentivize those kinds of people.

I plan to get a new phone sometime this year, likely a flagship, so I'll be saving up for sure. Also, because of life stuff, not the best time for me to be tied down with a 2-year contract. My plan is to wait until October for the Pixel 4 to be released and make a decision about what phone to get then.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot better than it used to be, particularly in buildings. They expanded the network a bit a few months back, too - I don't know how much it impacted other areas but I get 'home' reception a lot further out of Edmonton than I used to.

The main drawback is if you travel a lot as they are still confined to the bigger cities.

All of Freedoms plans no longer have roaming for Calls and text. All the current plans $50 and up also have some amount(500mb-2gb depending on your plan) of Canada roaming. So that is less of an issue.

Also I love how the Big 3's super awesome deals are always still more expensive than Freedom.

If you look at a S10 with both Freedom and Rogers, this is still $20/month more expensive over 2 years.

OP
OP
SirMossyBloke

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Also I love how the Big 3's super awesome deals are always still more expensive than Freedom.

I mean, this is super obvious why. Freedom has a much smaller and slower network than the big three, it makes sense it's cheaper. If the big three charged the same price as Freedom (which they never will), then Freedom would suffer the most.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm actually surprised that the $75 a month doesn't include the BYOD discount - so it's $65 for $10GB and unlimited calling/messages.

Freedom's current 10GB plan is also $65, although there is a $5 bonus for prepaid bills and a 4GB bonus. Either way it's not nearly as steep an increase as I expected to get better coverage.

It's a harder switch for me as right now I pay $40 for 5GB - and that's generally enough.

OP
OP
SirMossyBloke

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised that the $75 a month doesn't include the BYOD discount - so it's $65 for $10GB and unlimited calling/messages.

Freedom's current 10GB plan is also $65, although there is a $5 bonus for prepaid bills and a 4GB bonus. Either way it's not nearly as steep an increase as I expected to get better coverage.

It's a harder switch for me as right now I pay $40 for 5GB - and that's generally enough.

$75 IS the BYOD discount. Contract version is either $95, $105 or $115 depending on the tier you sign on for. Plus then theres the 20GB version and the 50GB version.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll stick to Freedom Mobile for now. My service is just fine as someone who lives in Ottawa, and I get unlimited worldwide texting, and unlimited data in North America, and free roaming for $50 a month.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
My bad, somehow their site defaulted me to MB instead of AB.

I guess it's $65 in Manitoba, at least.

I think they have a regional/government run carrier that is cheaper so Roger/Bell/Telus have to offer lower prices there.

Also FYI Freedom's $65($60 with auto pay) plan usually nets you a $500+ hardware subsidy.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
UK/EU must have some great plan's. I have a 60GB data plan including tethering and unlimited calls and texts for £30 a month. Don't think there's any throttling either. There are some really shit company practices in North America/Canada in comparison. Wow.