• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, wishlisted; Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (the original, Japanese-only one) was my jam during the late 90s, long before I knew what a roguelike was. On zooming the screenshots, I see they're highly detailed art rather than 3D models as I had assumed, which is a massive plus. I'm not getting it right away only because I'm swimming in Switch titles right now and short on cash (the woes of indie development).

I might finally break down and buy it tonight. Have to gauge how much time I think I can devote to it given my recent re-obsession with Stone Soup. I've watched some footage of it and was impressed by how tricky the game can get with that rune system in place. There's definitely more going on there than a simple rogue-like-like imitation. Are all the Mystery Dungeon games fairly difficult?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I might finally break down and buy it tonight. Have to gauge how much time I think I can devote to it given my recent re-obsession with Stone Soup. I've watched some footage of it and was impressed by how tricky the game can get with that rune system in place. There's definitely more going on there than a simple rogue-like-like imitation. Are all the Mystery Dungeon games fairly difficult?

Not really, but it depends on which ones: the Chocobo ones were pretty entry-level (I had no trouble finishing them with zero knowledge of roguelikes and limited knowledge of Japanese), while the Shiren ones are quite harder. I haven't played the Torneko or Pokemon ones, but I would assume the latter also fall on the easy side.

They're kind of different beasts from traditional rogues, in that there's a lot more progression; typically you complete a dungeon, the story progresses, and you move on to the next one. You do start each dungeon at level 1, but often can salvage items from a run and use them in the next one (the specific mechanics change from game to game). And obviously, they're quite simpler too, although there's often a lot of rogue staples like identifying potions, cursed equipment, and such.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Not really, but it depends on which ones: the Chocobo ones were pretty entry-level (I had no trouble finishing them with zero knowledge of roguelikes and limited knowledge of Japanese), while the Shiren ones are quite harder. I haven't played the Torneko or Pokemon ones, but I would assume the latter also fall on the easy side.

They're kind of different beasts from traditional rogues, in that there's a lot more progression; typically you complete a dungeon, the story progresses, and you move on to the next one. You do start each dungeon at level 1, but often can salvage items from a run and use them in the next one (the specific mechanics change from game to game). And obviously, they're quite simpler too, although there's often a lot of rogue staples like identifying potions, cursed equipment, and such.

Ah cool. I think this one is on the harder side, with the usual identify mechanics. Not sure about cursed items, but it does have progression mechanics you mention, which I actually sort of like in casual roguelikes. You can send weapons and items back to a warehouse and then pull them out on the next run if you die. That said, I'm pretty sure the game is a single 50 floor dungeon, making it kind of perfect for the Switch. Don't have the time to clear the next floor? Just press the suspend button and pick it up later.

Also, I just noticed Sproggiwood is on sale in the Steam store for $2.99. Ridiculous for how good that game looks.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Ah cool. I think this one is on the harder side, with the usual identify mechanics. Not sure about cursed items, but it does have progression mechanics you mention, which I actually sort of like in casual roguelikes. You can send weapons and items back to a warehouse and then pull them out on the next run if you die. That said, I'm pretty sure the game is a single 50 floor dungeon, making it kind of perfect for the Switch. Don't have the time to clear the next floor? Just press the suspend button and pick it up later.

Also, I just noticed Sproggiwood is on sale in the Steam store for $2.99. Ridiculous for how good that game looks.

Sproggiwood is pretty good, and I think the game the CoQ folks made before CoQ. Never got too far in it, but I feel like they utilize a lot of different movement mechanics.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Has anyone spent much time with UnReal World? It's always had me real interested, but I've never pulled the trigger on picking it up.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
just got my first Tangledeep victory this morning. took a little over 40 hours, and some help from other people suggesting build possibilities. i ended up with something unique and enjoyed the hell out of it. now very interested in discovering other builds and using some of the more challenging classes (the Gambler looks like a lot of fun). if you haven't played this yet, fix that.

also picked up Golden Krone Hotel and Sproggiwood. Hope to give them a little bit more of my time once I wrap up my work week.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Started playing shattered pixel dungeon on my phone recently. Beat it twice so far with the mage class.

I played the original pixel dungeon a few times years ago but I never made it very far. I don't really know what's different about the shattered version, but I've been enjoying it more than the original (as far as I recall).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I've kind of hit a roguelike slump the past year or so. Nothing from the past couple years has ever quite grabbed me again quite like the perfect gamefeel of Spelunky or infinite variety of Isaac. Slay the Spire is close but still didn't quite hit the same highs personally.

I do have BoI: Repentance and Spelunky 2 to look forward to though, so I guess I can't complain too much. Plus I picked up Caves of Qud during the Steam sale so I'm looking forward to giving that a shot after hearing a lot of good things.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've kind of hit a roguelike slump the past year or so. Nothing from the past couple years has ever quite grabbed me again quite like the perfect gamefeel of Spelunky or infinite variety of Isaac. Slay the Spire is close but still didn't quite hit the same highs personally.

I do have BoI: Repentance and Spelunky 2 to look forward to though, so I guess I can't complain too much. Plus I picked up Caves of Qud during the Steam sale so I'm looking forward to giving that a shot after hearing a lot of good things.

I'm going to be the guy that states the obvious first: have you tried Enter the Gungeon? IMHO it knocks BoI entirely out of the water.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Have you primarily played roguelites/hybrids like those?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm going to be the guy that states the obvious first: have you tried Enter the Gungeon? IMHO it knocks BoI entirely out of the water.
Seconding this, EtG clicked with me way more than BoI.
It's definitely not bad, but I still never really could get into it. My favorite thing in Isaac is how vast the possibility space feels since so many of the items synergize in such interesting and unique ways. In Gungeon on the other hand I always felt like I just had a handful of discrete weapons that I could switch between. There was never that moment where you get Spoonbender + Tech 2 + Mulligan and those three relatively minor upgrades combine to make enemies melt as soon as you walk in the room.

That being said, I'm not sure I ever got past level 3 in Gungeon and I never played after the AG&D update so maybe those combos do exist to some extent and I just never found them.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's definitely not bad, but I still never really could get into it. My favorite thing in Isaac is how vast the possibility space feels since so many of the items synergize in such interesting and unique ways. In Gungeon on the other hand I always felt like I just had a handful of discrete weapons that I could switch between. There was never that moment where you get Spoonbender + Tech 2 + Mulligan and those three relatively minor upgrades combine to make enemies melt as soon as you walk in the room.

That being said, I'm not sure I ever got past level 3 in Gungeon and I never played after the AG&D update so maybe those combos do exist to some extent and I just never found them.
They definitely don't synergize nearly to the extent that Isaac does, I'll give you that. What clicked for me was the movement and shooting feedback, which I liked much more than the floaty feel of Isaac.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Have you primarily played roguelites/hybrids like those?
I don't know how strict your spectrum of roguelikes is, but I've played Dwarf Fort, Necrodancer, and Dredmore which all sometimes count depending on who you ask. I'd like to get into the more traditional style but outside of downloading Brogue once I just haven't committed the time yet to learning.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how strict your spectrum of roguelikes is, but I've played Dwarf Fort, Necrodancer, and Dredmore which all sometimes count depending on who you ask. I'd like to get into the more traditional style but outside of downloading Brogue once I just haven't committed the time yet to learning.
Brogue's a good one to play for getting into the more traditional styles. It's complex enough to capture that improvisational emergent thrill while being accessible and simplifying certain aspects so it's not overwhelming

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you, none of the newer roguelike/lites have had the mayhem and insanity of BoI. I'm sure there's one out there, but I haven't played it yet. Gungeon is good and all, but each run feels practically the same.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The AG&G update added a metric fuckton of synergies (among tons of new guns and items), many of which are downright crazy, plus synergy chests and even an NPC called Synergrace, so if that's what you missed, definitely give it a try:
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Synergies
I only ever got really involved in the game after the AG&G update, which admittedly may account for how wildly different my experience was compared to some of the people who prefer BoI. I mean, there's a Mega Man arm that synergizes with eight different items to give you each of the eight Robot Master weapons in Megaman 2, to scratch the surface.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The AG&G update added a metric fuckton of synergies (among tons of new guns and items), many of which are downright crazy, plus synergy chests and even an NPC called Synergrace, so if that's what you missed, definitely give it a try:
https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Synergies
I only ever got really involved in the game after the AG&G update, which admittedly may account for how wildly different my experience was compared to some of the people who prefer BoI. I mean, there's a Mega Man arm that synergizes with eight different items to give you each of the eight Robot Master weapons in Megaman 2, to scratch the surface.

Well shit, this looks good. It was the lack of synergies and that sort of RNG madness and the sameyness of the runs that made me drop Gungeon pretty quickly, but it looks like I should definitely give it another try.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok people. Recommend a roguelike/roguelite game. Some points:

-I liked games like Dungeons of Dredmor or Dead Cells. I have pending to try TOME one of these days. I think my next roguelite will be Slay the Spire, I hear good things.
-Have graphics. It doesn't have to be super pretty, but no ascii games.
-Have great variety in each run. So as you know, one of the key aspects of roguelikes is that usually have small 'graphics budget', but thanks to that, they have more depth in systems and/or content. I was searching something like that, that have great variety in classes for examples, I love games where playing another class is suddenly like playing another game, with different tactical considerations, different toolset, or even different resources.
For example, I'm also a sucker of strategy games where each faction is asymetric and plays totally different (different resources, style, victory conditions)
-It isn't super hardcore. It is a pity, but most games of this genre are 'my way or the highway' school of design. High difficulty, and even worse, no difficulty options. One of the things I liked from DoD was the better accesibility (easy/normal mode, but also you could choose to save between floors, or even if you wanted a normal or a long run).

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

-I liked games like Dungeons of Dredmor or Dead Cells. I have pending to try TOME one of these days. I think my next roguelite will be Slay the Spire, I hear good things.
-Have great variety in each run. So as you know, one of the key aspects of roguelikes is that usually have small 'graphics budget', but thanks to that, they have more depth in systems and/or content. I was searching something like that, that have great variety in classes for examples, I love games where playing another class is suddenly like playing another game, with different tactical considerations, different toolset, or even different resources.
For example, I'm also a sucker of strategy games where each faction is asymetric and plays totally different (different resources, style, victory conditions)
-It isn't super hardcore. It is a pity, but most games of this genre are 'my way or the highway' school of design. High difficulty, and even worse, no difficulty options. One of the things I liked from DoD was the better accesibility (easy/normal mode, but also you could choose to save between floors, or even if you wanted a normal or a long run).

enter the gungeon might fit the bill

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London

I think you should bite on ToME, it's got the variety you want across different classes. The difficulty is high but also forgiving in that they give you a few deaths per character and you gain more as you level up. The expansions are also dirt cheap and add quite a lot of variety, especially the Orc campaign.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018

You might like 20XX: it's Mega Man X crossed with Dead Cells. 2 playable characters plus 2 more as DLC, all of which play differently. Levels are built from tiles like Dead Cells, and between runs you unlock items that get permanently added to the pool. Also it's got co-op and an easy mode that gives you 3 lives.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm just going to throw my 10/10 roguelites of all time which I think everybody should at least check: Spelunky, FTL, Enter the Gungeon and Into the Breach. Hell, I'll throw some of my personal favorites as well: Crypt of the Necrodancer and Desktop Dungeons.

I'm sure I'm shamefully omitting some of my favorites still, but all of the above games have a very, very special place in my heart, and I'm not exactly easy to please.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
No mention of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup anywhere? This was my first real "meaty" roguelike and it is insanely good. Yes it has very, very basic graphics and no sound or cinematics or anything, but to me it's a perfect game. You get amazing variation between each run, it has so many options for characters, and it really pushes that "just one more run" feeling. The day I finally beat this game was the most satisfying gaming accomplishment I've ever experienced. Yes, even better than Orphan of Kos.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No mention of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup anywhere? This was my first real "meaty" roguelike and it is insanely good. Yes it has very, very basic graphics and no sound or cinematics or anything, but to me it's a perfect game. You get amazing variation between each run, it has so many options for characters, and it really pushes that "just one more run" feeling. The day I finally beat this game was the most satisfying gaming accomplishment I've ever experienced. Yes, even better than Orphan of Kos.

Literally the first post in this page talks about Soup, man. :P

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Take a look at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It hits a lot of the points you list here (especially different play styles for different classes, races, etc. - the game has a fantastic skill system that is partly dependent on which God you choose to worship). And you can try it for free (the entire game is free, but you can check it out and there's no monetary risk if you end up hating it). I absolutely recommend going through the tutorial and maybe watching one of Ultraviolent4's videos, but it isn't as hard to get into as some people say. Once you have the basics down, everything else comes naturally.

https://crawl.develz.org/

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Busted. I admit I just didn't see it in the OP, so I reacted to that. Glad to see some appreciation for it! I should really go back and replay it as a magic user. I've only done minotaur fighter, which is basically the game's easy mode.

haha! just posted about it. i love this game. amazing that it's free. magic users are definitely "hard mode" in a sense, but there are some solid strategies out there for Gargoyle Earth Elementalists and such. The real change is learning to be patient and learning where the danger is for each class of character. One character's unique threat is another's chew toy.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it, but for me it enters in the 'too hardcore' category. High base difficulty and no difficulty options for the player. I only saw the first two floors, lol.

If you haven't tried a twin stick shooter roguelite you can check out Synthetik - oodles of difficulty options and modifiers, lots of different weapons and items to synergize with. I've seen it go on sale for $10.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Pretty much everyone's already played them at this point but FTL and Into the Breach should fit the bill. FTL has a very impressive amount of playable ships that all play differently and encourage different sorts of builds. When I first played Into the Breach I stuck with the starting mech team for several hours and thought the game was so well balanced around them that I couldn't believe there were a bunch of other teams. They all play differently and synergize in very different ways. They're two of the best roguelites ever made, and my two personal favorite games in the genre (my other favorites being Spelunky, Monolith, and Unexplored).

Oct 26, 2017
I know FTL, Synthethik and Into the Breach. I guess I didn't mention FTL and ItB because my brain doesn't recognize them as normal roguexxx games.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have not played Slay the Spire, but I've heard it's been influenced by Dream Quest on iOS. Game is super ugly, but loads of fun, and pretty perfect for mobile.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
In case it wasn't explored here yet, I still hold that Tales of Maj'Eyal is among the best rogue likes ever created:https://www./threads/10-reasons-why-you-should-play-this-roguelike-tales-of-majeyal-edition.853003/

(Sorry for needing to link the old forums)

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
In case it wasn't explored here yet, I still hold that Tales of Maj'Eyal is among the best rogue likes ever created:https://www./threads/10-reasons-why-you-should-play-this-roguelike-tales-of-majeyal-edition.853003/

Have you beaten it? Still haven't finished the main campaign despite getting further and further each time. It still takes me a few hours to get past the first few dungeons, curious if anyone has tips on blowing through the first few bits of the game, since I've done them like 10 times now.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
ToME is great. I wonder if anyone has unlocked all those achievements, though... jesus.

All but finished Caves of Qud recently and really enjoyed it. One of the better ones I've played in years. Plus I sat in bed and played it purely with gamepad on a TV, which is always a plus for lazy days.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
ToME is great. I wonder if anyone has unlocked all those achievements, though... jesus.

All but finished Caves of Qud recently and really enjoyed it. One of the better ones I've played in years. Plus I sat in bed and played it purely with gamepad on a TV, which is always a plus for lazy days.
How did you map all the commands to a pad? I can't imagine playing Qud with buttons but it sounds cool.

That's one of the remaining big ones I haven't dug into yet. I've got it sitting on my desktop for whenever I finally get to it. It sounds great from everything I've heard. Can't say I like the game's graphics but who cares.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

welcome back !

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
How did you map all the commands to a pad? I can't imagine playing Qud with buttons but it sounds cool.

That's one of the remaining big ones I haven't dug into yet. I've got it sitting on my desktop for whenever I finally get to it. It sounds great from everything I've heard. Can't say I like the game's graphics but who cares.

Steam controller. Pressing the back right grip to give an entire second layout while it's pressed (for less common commands). Think I only needed two layouts but it may have been three, I forget. All the lists are scrollable with up/down so didn't need all the letters, and it has a decent menu system. It really wasn't bad after the first two hours.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I tried it, but for me it enters in the 'too hardcore' category. High base difficulty and no difficulty options for the player. I only saw the first two floors, lol.

It's definitely not particularly hardcore: it just follows the time-honored tradition of a long "knowledge is power" learning curve. I couldn't get past the two floors at first myself; now I've finished it with all of the characters, including killing their pasts.

I mean, to me that's the entire charm of roguelites; how they kick your ass at first yet you end up a badass master by the end.

That said, for an "easy mode" start, pick the hunter. I find her even more newbie-friendly than the soldier; her crossbow alone can carry you through the first two floors.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
How rogue-lite-ish is Dead Cells? By which I mean, are subsequent runs actually considerably easier when you start getting permanent upgrades à la Rogue Legacy, or is the permanent stuff more akin to something like Binding of Isaac's unlocking items that won't really make the game easier, just different?

I'm seeing a lot of people mention it in the GOTY voting thread and figured that I should maybe give it another try.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
How rogue-lite-ish is Dead Cells? By which I mean, are subsequent runs actually considerably easier when you start getting permanent upgrades à la Rogue Legacy, or is the permanent stuff more akin to something like Binding of Isaac's unlocking items that won't really make the game easier, just different?

I'm seeing a lot of people mention it in the GOTY voting thread and figured that I should maybe give it another try.

it doesn't feature permanent stat upgrades, you have gear unlocks that appear in subsequent runs.

Metaprogression isn't really a staple of rogue-lites btw, and its something that often dissuades me from playing them (ala Rogue Legacy). I like playing when I know that I have a fair shot at beating the game the first time round.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

It's both. You unlock a lot more items and weapons that are added to each run at random (ala BoI).

But you also unlock some permanent "meta" progression rewards that make it easier for example like...

...additional health potion capacity, access to additional mutations that enhance abilities/stats, ability to retain more gold (spending money) after dying, ability to recycle unwanted items for more money, ability to restock shops for a better chance at good synergies
These things make the game easier, but they don't just keep throwing them at you until the game becomes trivial. They take time to accumulate and are capped. The game is very challenging and a successful run often relies on some generous weapon/item combinations from the RNG gods.

That said, it's a fucking excellent game, and plays beautifully. Controls are super pure and responsive and a blast to play

Last edited:

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing but I think Deep Sky Derelicts might be a diamond in the rough.

Hey, that's our game - hope you're enjoying DSD. I wasn't comfortable bringing it up, but given the list of games in this thread I guess it fits in some way. :)

Talking about original roguelikes like Rogue and Nethack, I think Binding of Isaac (Rebirth+Afterbirth) is a surprisingly close modern equivalent, despite being an action game. It's got the insane item synergies, a plethora of hidden and non-obvious mechanics, and unique runs; in some ways, it has even more variation because in Nethack you usually settle on the standard item selection for the endgame. (Still proud of having completed Nethack with all characters. *flex*). I've played Enter the Gungeon a bit, but that seems to be weighted towards skill and not so heavy on the strategy side. Nothing wrong with that, but I couldn't really get into it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
it doesn't feature permanent stat upgrades, you have gear unlocks that appear in subsequent runs.

Metaprogression isn't really a staple of rogue-lites btw, and its something that often dissuades me from playing them (ala Rogue Legacy). I like playing when I know that I have a fair shot at beating the game the first time round.

I've seen people differentiate between rogueLIKEs and rogueLITEs purely due to metaprogression or the lack thereof. If something, anything, persists between runs, whether it's something direct like stat increases in Rogue Legacy or new possible item unlocks like in BoI, it's a roguelite. If every run is treated like it was your very first, it's a roguelike. I think this definition makes sense.

It's both. You unlock a lot more items and weapons that are added to each run at random (ala BoI).

But you also unlock some permanent "meta" progression rewards that make it easier for example like...

...additional health potion capacity, access to additional mutations that enhance abilities/stats, ability to retain more gold (spending money) after dying, ability to recycle unwanted items for more money, ability to restock shops for a better chance at good synergies
These things make the game easier, but they don't just keep throwing them at you until the game becomes trivial. They take time to accumulate and are capped. The game is very challenging and a successful run often relies on some generous weapon/item combinations from the RNG gods.

That said, it's a fucking excellent game, and plays beautifully. Controls are super pure and responsive and a blast to play

Cool, that does sound good. I suppose I should give the game another couple of hours.

Gonna add Dead Cells and Gungeon to my try-again-later-when-you've-got-nothing-else-to-play category on Steam that doesn't actually exist yet and literally just popped to my mind when I was writing this and I realized that it's a good idea.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people differentiate between rogueLIKEs and rogueLITEs purely due to metaprogression or the lack thereof. If something, anything, persists between runs, whether it's something direct like stat increases in Rogue Legacy or new possible item unlocks like in BoI, it's a roguelite. If every run is treated like it was your very first, it's a roguelike. I think this definition makes sense.

There are roguelikes with progression (TOME) and roguelites with none (Spelunky, Delver)

Usually when people refer to roguelikes, they mean a game with grid movement and turn based gameplay. It's not a particularly important definition. I was emphasizing more on the concept of metaprogession as a core tenet of all of these games in general.

Oct 26, 2017

There is a decent number of permanent upgrades that makes the game easier. The main one is extra recharges for your health flask. The game is almost impossible at first but once you have all the upgrades is noticeable easier. HOWEVER, it doesn't mean anything, as once you beat the game, you unlock a harder game mode. The extra difficulty compensates the extra health you have, first because enemies do more damage, and second because part of the extra difficulty is how they limit more and more the amount of time you can refill your health flask.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There are roguelikes with progression (TOME) and roguelites with none (Spelunky, Delver)

Usually when people refer to roguelikes, they mean a game with grid movement and turn based gameplay. It's not a particularly important definition. I was emphasizing more on the concept of metaprogession as a core tenet of all of these games in general.
I always thought of it as roguelikes being the traditional design (Cataclysm, Brogue, Cogmind, Caves of Qud, TOME, Unexplored, etc) and then it's a sliding scale from there. From traditional roguelike to "roguelike but other genre" (roguelike platformer = Spelunky and Catacomb Kids, tactical roguelike = Hoplite and Imbroglio, etc) to roguelite, which have elements of roguelikes like procedural generation and permadeath but lack key tenets like systemic improvisational gameplay (BoI, Ziggurat, Enter The Gungeon, Dead Cells, etc)

Nowadays the designs and tenets are experimented with so much that hinging the word on a single element like progression doesn't work IMO