GK86

Oct 25, 2017
www.rollingstone.com

EXCLUSIVE: Jan. 6 Protest Organizers Say They Participated in 'Dozens' of Planning Meetings With Members of Congress and White House Staff

Two sources are communicating with House investigators and detailed allegations, including a promise of a “blanket pardon” from Trump.

As the House investigation into the Jan. 6 attack heats up, some of the planners of the pro-Trump rallies that took place in Washington, D.C., have begun communicating with congressional investigators and sharing new information about what happened when the former president's supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol. Two of these people have spoken to Rolling Stone extensively in recent weeks and detailed explosive allegations that multiple members of Congress were intimately involved in planning both Trump's efforts to overturn his election loss and the Jan. 6 events that turned violent. Rolling Stone separately confirmed a third person involved in the main Jan. 6 rally in D.C. has communicated with the committee. This is the first report that the committee is hearing major new allegations from potential cooperating witnesses. While there have been prior indications that members of Congress were involved, this is also the first account detailing their purported role and its scope. The two sources also claim they interacted with members of Trump's team, including former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, who they describe as having had an opportunity to prevent the violence.

The two sources, both of whom have been granted anonymity due to the ongoing investigation, describe participating in "dozens" of planning briefings ahead of that day when Trump supporters broke into the Capitol as his election loss to President Joe Biden was being certified.

"I remember Marjorie Taylor Greene specifically," the organizer says. "I remember talking to probably close to a dozen other members at one point or another or their staffs."

Along with Greene, the conspiratorial pro-Trump Republican from Georgia who took office earlier this year, the pair both say the members who participated in these conversations or had top staffers join in included Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.), Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas).

More at the link.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
you mean to tell me the reps giving guided tours just prior to Jan 6th were in on it?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Louie Gohmert? Why am I not surprised?

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
What does this mean? Are they going to arrest these insiders, or will they continue to be unnamed and protected by their peers?

Oct 31, 2017
The Republican Party is infested full of treasonous rats and the Democrats seem like they aren't taking the threat quite as seriously as they should.

Some rough times are ahead for this country and probably the world-at-large. :-(

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
f4byfMm.gif

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
If there aren't real consequences from this then our country is already done for. Without consequences there's absolutely nothing to stop worse things happening in the future.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So fucking what?

I won't believe in consequences until I see them, and in the meantime, no consequences means no accountability, and a blank check for these people to continue pushing even further until they can rally enough pawns for a coup that actually succeeds.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean? Are they going to arrest these insiders, or will they continue to be unnamed and protected by their peers?
I mean, the big news is the involvement of the Trump White House. A lot of what happens is going to depend on what was planned. If it was just a protest that went out of control that's one thing, if they were looking for it to go the way it did then that's a whole different can of worms.

That said, in my own opinion, all of these people should, at the very least, be expelled from congress and new members be seated in their place.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Great. Wake me up when something actually happens.

It's all useless trivia if nothing carrying actual weight is done about it. Finger wagging and shocked statements of disapproval from people continuing to work with these assholes as though it's normal will do nothing other than guarantee this happens again.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I mean, the big news is the involvement of the Trump White House. A lot of what happens is going to depend on what was planned. If it was just a protest that went out of control that's one thing, if they were looking for it to go the way it did then that's a whole different can of worms.

That said, in my own opinion, all of these people should, at the very least, be expelled from congress and new members be seated in their place.
I agree. Though I shudder to imagine what a Louie Gohmert replacement looks like.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned this story was under sourced. If it turns out to be even just partially untrue or exaggerated, this could do damage to holding the nefarious actors in all of this to account.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's real hard to follow what meetings they're talking about in this article. For better or for worse everything is written so cryptically it's hard to get a sense of what most of the specific allegations even are.

Rolling Stone's record isn't the best but I suppose we'll see if it's accurate soon enough

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Planning the events vs planning for violence. Even if this story is true and Congressmen were involved in the protest they'd just say they had no idea that violence was going to break out?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
no fucking shit. how oblivious do we have to continually be about this? pisses me off.

Planning the events vs planning for violence. Even if this story is true and Congressmen were involved in the protest they'd just say they had no idea that violence was going to break out?

yeah, no. they incited the violence

Oct 29, 2017
I'll wait for actual repurcussions, but hanging pardons over the heads of terrorists is pretty damning:

And Gosar, who has been one of the most prominent defenders of the Jan. 6 rioters, allegedly took things a step further. Both sources say he dangled the possibility of a "blanket pardon" in an unrelated ongoing investigation to encourage them to plan the protests.

"Our impression was that it was a done deal," the organizer says, "that he'd spoken to the president about it in the Oval … in a meeting about pardons and that our names came up. They were working on submitting the paperwork and getting members of the House Freedom Caucus to sign on as a show of support."

The organizer claims the pair received "several assurances" about the "blanket pardon" from Gosar.

"I was just going over the list of pardons and we just wanted to tell you guys how much we appreciate all the hard work you've been doing," Gosar said, according to the organizer.

The rally planner describes the pardon as being offered while "encouraging" the staging of protests against the election. While the organizer says they did not get involved in planning the rallies solely due to the pardon, they were upset that it ultimately did not materialize.
Why the hell would you need a pardon for a "peaceful protest"? 🤔

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, but I think we'd want to remember this: what are the odds that the people being put on trial are going to stick to that story if the prosecutors are offering sweet deals to roll on the congressmen and women in question?

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm not sure much comes of this.

Sadly, without a supermajority, that won't happen.

And depending on the charges, if any, that are brought against them, they can still serve and run from prison.

Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England

Would anything even happen if they could prove that they wanted it to go the way it did?

Oct 27, 2017
My only hope is that somehow this makes it so Trump legally can't run again. But that would take a miracle even if they had a recording of him telling protestors to literally harm ppl at the capitol, Because republicans don't do Anthing

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

If there really are cooperating witnesses that helped organize and met with the traitors in Congress, there should likely be some sort of email/text/phone trail. Then there's stuff like how Greene was giving them tours of the building in advance so they'd know where they were going.

Hopefully it's enough to start nailing people to the wall. The lack of urgency and push for real consequences are very concerning though. The future of the country may depend on consequences being doled out here.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
It's crazy how the guys that tried to overthrow a democratically elected government gets to continue working in that very same government. And they get to call themselves the "law and order part" like wtf

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I've come to the conclusion that no one is going to be punished for anything that happened during the Trump administration.

It just feels pointless to pay attention to any of the reporting about it as nothing is going to happen. Any sort of renewed energy after the 2020 election has been beaten out of me.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how the guys that tried to overthrow a democratically elected government gets to continue working in that very same government. And they get to call themselves the "law and order part" like wtf

That's what's boggling my mind. How can literally criminals, who planned and started a coup, continue like nothing happened? On that day that shit went full Tom Clancy's The Division, including a fucking pandemic. And there were practically no consequences.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Why does Congress, specifically congressional members involved in this exact same bullshit, have any say on their own punishment?

Couldnt and shouldn't the Dept. Of Justice start rounding these treasonous vipers up once the evidence is clear? I mean they are even doing their damndest to obstruct the investigation itself.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this trending on Twitter earlier. Hopefully something gets done but I'm not going to get my hope ups.