• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-red-dead-redemption-2-soundtrack-766210/amp/
It's the season for year-end lists, but one of 2018's biggest albums is missing from nearly every major publication's ranking: The soundtrack to Red Dead Redemption 2. Less than two weeks after the blockbuster video game's release, Rockstar Games was estimated to have shipped 17 million copies to stores around the world. The company declined to provide more updates on the game's sales numbers, but that initially reported total easily exceeds the numbers of chart-toppers like Drake's Scorpion.
Despite the vintage sounds of Red Dead Redemption 2, fans of the game are responding to the music in the same hyper-modern manner they interact with contemporary hip-hop. "What's interesting to me is the amount of traction we're getting — all of this material has really caught on on the internet," says Daniel Lanois, who oversaw the sprinkling of vocal tracks. "These songs are being ripped from the game and they're on YouTube everywhere. There are Japanese pianists doing classical versions of the song I wrote with Rhiannon [Giddens]. I haven't felt this kind of fever since the late Eighties, when I was knocking it out of the park [producing] Peter Gabriel and U2!"
Congratulations to Rockstar's music department. Outstanding work by them!

Also I will continue to gush about The Game Awards performance of May I Stand for years.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
legendary soundtrack

never before has a soundtrack made me want to build a house

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That's a weird comparison, by that metric RDR2 is also the biggest movie of the year.

But yeah the OST is gonna sell gangbusters. I was amazed at how good it was and I'm not one to be impressed with vgmusic.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Album publications and award ceremonies don't really allow video game music anyway. Why? Who knows, too old fashioned I suppose.

RDR2 has a damm good soundtrack anyway.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"but that initially reported total easily exceeds the numbers of chart-toppers like Drake's Scorpion."

There goes Drake again. Letting his name be used to make rdr2 relevant. Thanks for Saving gaming Drake.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing soundtrack. Really wont hear much like it in the industry.

Was surprised to see that songs like "that's the way it is" was written specifically for the game. Thought they were real tracks. And the way they utilized those tracks was unlike most other games.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a fucking weird article.

They clearly just wanted to write about the style but the framing of it is just unneeded, likely hugely incorrect, and a distraction.

Oct 31, 2017
Been avoiding the OST until I buy my PS4 next month, what snippets I've heard though have been awesome. Happy this is getting recognition.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Album sales have become a pointless metric for tracking engagement with music. Most consumers under the age of 35 don't even buy full albums anymore, while music labels actively find new ways to make it look like they're selling enormous numbers (I once got four copies of an Arcade Fire album in the mail after buying four tickets to an upcoming concert). They've tried to fold streams into the equation, but nobody can really agree how many plays is equivalent to a purchase.

Anyways, since the copies of the game sold to stores aren't able to exclusively play the soundtrack - equating them to album sales is completely disingenuous.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That entire half hour of credits music tho

giphy.gif

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If the Grammys weren't a popularity contest these days it would easily sweep best album.