• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I love slow burn, slice of life dramas when paced well. But I agree that this one took it a bit too far with the long shots. I see the narrative and creative justification for them but at the same time think the film would've been better with a little less.

Good film though and I love how some of the major plot points and revelations that occured around Cleo, that didn't directly affect her own life, almost felt like part of the film's background than blatantly pointed out in the foreground. I think this style of directing eases the viewer into naturally feeling and seeing the world through Cleo's eyes.
I enjoy it for what it is. But Children of Men, Y Tu Mama Tambien were far better films for me personally. The director did some amazing work with making the mundane into art, and had some incredible shots.

But it all really doesn't do much but stand out like a pretty picture if you don't have the narrative chops to keep you motivated to sit through it.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Yeah, having meditated on it, it's probably the most overrated movie in recent memory, to be honest. Everybody understands how she has to be stoic and passive around her "family." But the inner life of absolutely nobody is revealed. It's as emotionally wide-angled and zoomed out as the photography.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, to the non-Spanish speakers in the thread, were you able to tell when the maids were speaking Mixtec vs Spanish or did it all sounds like jibberish?
Im spanish so I got the change but the subs also reflected that. When they speak in spanish they use normal non italic subs, while when they are speaking in Mixtec the subs were in italic, and also bold IIRC.

Oct 26, 2017
Almost cried at that wave scene near the end.

Phenomenal film. Beautiful to look at from start to finish. I didn't expect the plot to go the way it did. I thought there would be a much darker turn partway in.

Rather than be completely bleak though, the movie offers so much hope and life in even the darkest of spots. Really glad I got to see this.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it . Read that the car parking scene(s) were inspired by ship docking in Space Odyssey.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beautifully boring movie.
The cinematography was top notch but rest was just not engaging at all.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend having a good surround sound system for this one. The sound design is incredible and really puts you in the scene, especially these busy outdoor locations.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the movie that has those long takes that do nothing to enhance the movie? Why do people even like long takes anyway?
No, and while the director (and to a lesser extent Mexican cinema in general) often features a lot of long takes and Cuaron in particular a lot of "curious camera" subjective handheld takes, this film has a completely different directorial language. It's a lot of steady pans from a fixed point and much less in the way of long takes.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this movie. I was blown away at the government hiring recruits to kill their own people.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of another director working today who uses scene so effectively the way Cuaron does. It's not just about nice cinematography and long takes. This movie thoroughly recreates a time and a place, and builds a story as an environment that can change abruptly.

There are some really gut-wrenching moments that just shocked me, had me at the edge of my seat, and left me anguished. Some are calling it a slow burn but the impact really wrecked me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
pretty shocked with myself that i sat through the whole thing because i rarely sit through a whole movie these days, even action/suspense stuff

but something about cuaron really does it for me. at the top of his craft here even though the movie wasn't mindblowingly amazing or anything

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in theaters.

Watched a few scenes on netflix today. Kinda pissed most people will see this on their shitty laptops or 1080p screens. (I will say it was weird to here the netflix chu-ung on the bigscreen)

I really feel like people who didn't see this on the big screen missed out on half the movie. This movie was made for theaters. The sound and vistas added so much to the storytelling and emotion. Things like the
stillbirth
and beach scene were taken to another level with the sound and 65mm experience that you can't do on a home system.

I'd discribe it has great mixture of y tu mama tambien, children of men (the cinematography) and an iñárritu type story with Cuarón's own story mixed in.

The sound mixing in this movie is amazing.
I really feel for the people that didn't see this in theaters with a good sound system. Literally took the movie to another level

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, to the non-Spanish speakers in the thread, were you able to tell when the maids were speaking Mixtec vs Spanish or did it all sounds like jibberish?
The maids code switch. So you understand them one minute then they sound like their brains forgot spanish. The subtitles differentiate the two though

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely NEED a surround sound set up for this movie.

Phenomenal sound design.

Great movie!

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it (finally) and I am really blown away. Everything just feels so real.amazing film.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
No, and while the director (and to a lesser extent Mexican cinema in general) often features a lot of long takes and Cuaron in particular a lot of "curious camera" subjective handheld takes, this film has a completely different directorial language. It's a lot of steady pans from a fixed point and much less in the way of long takes.

Yep. Reminds me more of Italian cinema than Mexican

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Netflix will ever release viewership numbers for this. It would be interesting to see how much of an audience something like this can generate when its free and readily accessible.

I would hope it could get 10% of Bird Box's numbers, but that's probably wildly unrealistic.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Reading the impressions about this, it really comes across that you have to be somewhat of a film connoisseur in order to sit through the whole thing without being bored. Am I out of step with that observation?

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Netflix will ever release viewership numbers for this. It would be interesting to see how much of an audience something like this can generate when its free and readily accessible.

I would hope it could get 10% of Bird Box's numbers, but that's probably wildly unrealistic.
They're going to wait for an Oscars pop before they do that. If Roma wins best picture you'll probably hear Netflix do a Victory lap and maybe back it up with some numbers.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ.

This is incredible.

I was afraid it was overhyped ( and some scenes were like the one with the guy singing during the fire) but the rest is so subtle and profound.

Since me and my family is from South America I could relate with some parts ( my mother even recognized some songs at the beggining).

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed that this film didn't win.

It's a beautifully crafted film with some really cool subtlety in its themes (though some parts were pretty weird, that gringo scene yelling at during the fire. Don't get it)

Some posters have said this movie, in the way it's shot and it's locale reminds them of Italian cinema, but did you guys know that the real location of Roma (I thought the name alone was about Rome) is part of a borough in Mexico City named Cuauhtémoc, which is the name of the last emperor of the Aztec empire?

What I'm trying to say is that Mexico, despite being heavily influenced by Europe/Western ideals, still owes a lot of its national identity/culture towards indigenous peoples/cultures, and celebrates it. At the same time, however, Mexicans tend to shun them away in shame and disgust, over their perceived lack of "civilization" or "ugliness".

Cleo, taken in by Upper-class European Mexicans who have mostly always been in a position of power, shower her with praise over her deeds. The kids love her, and the mother is indebted for saving them, but at the end of the day, she is still an indigenous woman, and she too, like all indigenous people, must know their place.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Absolute travesty this didn't win... seeing it in 4K Atmos in theaters was such a treat. The cinematography, insanely sound design, the subtle messaging. Slam dunk win that they completely botched.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wasn't for you man. No need to be sorry. Ain't nothing wrong with ya lol

Personally I loved how this was in black and white and I was definitely scratching my head when I first saw the trailer since I didn't really think it needed to be b&w but I ended up really loving how beautiful the movie was. Not really sure I would have felt the same if it was in color. I'm going to watch it again once I have a legit 4K/HDR TV to watch it on
Sometimes black and white is a filmmaker's way of singing the blues.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute travesty this didn't win... seeing it in 4K Atmos in theaters was such a treat. The cinematography, insanely sound design, the subtle messaging. Slam dunk win that they completely botched.
The sound was incredible. I was surprised it didn't win the mixing award because the mix was so good.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So this was the movie that people wanted to win over Green Book.

Sure this movie is far better than it as well as half of the Best Picture list, I felt it was a bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I loved the unique cinematography and certain scenes were incredibly tense, but the slow burn was a bit too slow for my tastes.

It was a nice look into 60s Mexico though.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this was the movie that people wanted to win over Green Book.

Sure this movie is far better than it as well as half of the Best Picture list, I felt it was a bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I loved the unique cinematography and certain scenes were incredibly tense, but the slow burn was a bit too slow for my tastes.

It was a nice look into 60s Mexico though.
the movie was amazing, the slow burn was so good and the riot scene *chefs kiss*