Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Because this is Hell, I don't know why I'm even surprised this fucker's back, especially at this point in history

Starring Jean Dujardin (The Artist)

Louis Garrel will star as Captain Alfred Dreyfus, the real-life French-Jewish soldier wrongly accused of spying for the Germans in the 1890s. The scandal, which divided the country, concluded dramatically in 1906 when Dreyfus was exonerated after spending five years in the Devil's Island penal colony for high treason. The Artist's Academy Award–winning actor Jean Dujardin will star as the counter-espionage officer who vindicated Dreyfus. Mathieu Amalric, Olivier Gourmet, and Polanski's wife Emmanuelle Seigner will round out the cast. Polanski has been developing the film for the past six years, with a script from British novelist Robert Harris. The subject matter—a man being wrongly accused and proving his innocence decades later—will likely make for interesting press conversations conducted around the time of the film's eventual release.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Polanski directing this is some bullshit.

Nevertheless, the Dreyfuss affair is an interesting bit of history that deserves to be filmed. Especially in how it could show how easily the Nazi's anti-semitic propaganda was able to take hold so easily.

Shame about the director.

Oct 25, 2017
latest

But seriously, Polanski can rot.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He just directed a film last year starring his wife and Eva Green. Fuck it, he's a garbage human being but I love his films. Sorry guys, I'm in.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Since all the me too stuff kicked off I can never get that video of everyone giving him a standing ovation out of my head when I read his name. What a bunch of idiots.

I wish a bounty hunter would snag his ass.

Probably the only way he'd ever face justice.

No bounty hunter is going all the way to Paris to kidnap this guy lol

Hell dog the bounty hunter was lucky enough to get away with trying to kidnap a serial rapist in Mexico

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I was just reading about the Dreyfus affair, which is just insanely interesting, but goddammit, Roman Polanksi...

Nov 1, 2017
Since all the me too stuff kicked off I can never get that video of everyone giving him a standing ovation out of my head when I read his name. What a bunch of idiots.

No bounty hunter is going all the way to Paris to kidnap this guy lol

Hell dog the bounty hunter was lucky enough to get away with trying to kidnap a serial rapist in Mexico

I know. Still wish someone would get his raping ass to cops regardless.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Darkest timeline keeps getting darker.

We as a society deserve the darkest timeline but it sucks.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
He needs to get the Dreyfus name out of his mouth.

Some day it will make a compelling story. For now, it will be besmirched.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
He just directed a film last year starring his wife and Eva Green. Fuck it, he's a garbage human being but I love his films. Sorry guys, I'm in.

Was it any good? Last I saw of his was Carnage and Ghost Writer. Both were dope with the latter being one of the better mystery flicks in a long time

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Was it any good? Last I saw of his was Carnage and Ghost Writer. Both were dope with the latter being one of the better mystery flicks in a long time

yea Ghost Writer was his last good film tbh. though i haven't seen anything since then because I became aware of the disgusting things dude did

i will say that The Pianist is my favourite film of his

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
You guys didn't like the Pianist?

I thought it was a very good film! Polanski working through a lot of trauma he suffered as a boy during the holocaust

Absolutely will give this film a chance

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Absolutely will give this film a chance

He fucking raped a 13-year-old.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
OP
OP
Sweeney Swift

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
You guys didn't like the Pianist?
Rosemary's Baby and the Ninth Gate* are the only films of his I've ever watched and I'm keeping it that way

*this was an accident in the sense that I watched it with the family when I was a kid and didn't even know who the director is, all I knew was Johnny Depp was hot and I wanted to see everything he was in. At least it worked out well sometimes

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
i really like the Pianist, one of my favourite WW2/holocaust related films

but fuck polanski, never ever supporting anything he does again because:

Even though the victim (Samantha Geimer) , now decades later, supports/defends Polanski?

But regardless, if I consumed art based on my knowledge of how much of an asshole an artist is/was in his personal life...id miss out on centuries of great art. Can't go that route.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Even though the victim (Samantha Geimer) , now decades later, supports/defends Polanski?

Yes. It doesn't change what he did.

Also:

In October 2017, a woman named Renate Langer interviewed by Swiss police said Polanski raped her in Gstaad when she was 15, in 1972.[162] That same month, Marianne Barnard accused Polanski of having assaulted her in 1975, when she was 10 years old.[160]

But regardless, if I consumed art based on my knowledge of how much of an asshole an artist is/was in his personal life...id miss out on centuries of great art. Can't go that route.

We're not talking about someone "being an asshole." I listen to Kanye West. I get it.

The vast majority of great artists didn't rape a child.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Yes. It doesn't change what he did.

I get being personally too disgusted.

I don't get the shaming of those who can dissociate art from artist, as well as the notion of banning/burning art cause of an artist.

We're not talking about someone "being an asshole." I listen to Kanye West. I get it.

The vast majority of great artists didn't rape a child.

Sure they did.

It's just that pre-1900 it was worldwide technically legal for artists to have sex with people under 18 years of age.

But this is the last I'm talking about the subject since it gets too heated on forums. But, people should still go see Polanski films. And I will say that as much as people try to tell others they shouldn't