• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
GYBeTB8.jpg

Release Date: 12/15/2017 for non-mobile, out now for mobile
Developer: Square/ArtePiazza/Akitoshi Kawazu (<3)
Publisher: SquareEnix
Genre: JRPG
Platform(s): Switch, PS4, PSV, XB1, W10, Steam, iOS, Android
Price(s): $19.99/£15.99/€19.99/¥2,550 ($24.99/£19.99/€24.99/¥3200 after January 8th) on consoles, $17.99 on mobile
Official Website
NA eShop/UK eShop/EU eShop/JP eShop
PSN PS4/PSN Vita
XBOX One/Windows 10
Steam
Google Play
iOS

4p1PA4W.jpg

Of all the songs of triumph I have to sing,
none are as melodious as that of Avalon.

The land gave rise to the Seven Heroes.

Though their valorous deeds had fallen into legend,
all clung to the hope that they would return when needed most.

Yet some legends are best confined to memory.

6z0ArjR.jpg

What Is This:
Romancing SaGa 2 is the fifth game in SquareEnix's long running SaGa series, which itself was a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy II and all it's self flagilating glory. It was originally released on the Super Famicom in 1993 and was released on a variety of platforms in the years since. Romancing SaGa 2 never got released in the west in any form until very recently on mobile phones. This marks its first home console and portable release in the west, which is a big deal for one of Square's last big games to be left untranslated.

The game itself is an open ended RPG set in the land of Avalon and is based around an Imperial family line and its centuries long fight against a group of legendary heroes who have returned to the world as demons set on conquering it. Rather than centering around one single character and their party, RS2's story plays out as a series of scenarios wherein your current emperor/empress will select an heir who will continue on as your new player character with their own retinue of followers. Likewise, any emperor/empress who falls in combat will immediately pass the reign on to their next heir, who will continue the fight from where their parent left off. All is not lost, however, in each generational shift, the new emperor and their followers will receive the skills built up by their forbearers, strengthening your forces with every passing generation. Likewise, subsequent generations will gain from the experience and deeds of past generations, as your kingdom will continue to advance and develop over history, opening up new equipment, spells, and techniques as they are discovered or invented over the years.

vnBwnr1.jpg

What To Expect:

-A Generational Story: Romancing SaGa 2's story is told over the course of the history of the imperial family's fight against the Seven Heroes. As one emperor dies, a new one will rise to take their place in history and continue the fight.

-A Branching Story: Romancing SaGa 2 very much has the same open ended gameplay the series eventually became known for, giving you many different ways to approach your fight against the Seven Heroes and giving you many ways for the history that unfolds for your Empire to play out differently than another player's.

-Classic SaGa mechanics: the SaGa games (SaGa/FF Legends 3 aside) drop the traditional level based gameplay of the genre and instead base your development on the actions you take in combat. Equip and use a sword? Get better at swordfighting and get a little more buff while you are at it! Learn to chuck a fireball and go crazy doing that? You become the best fireball wizard to grace Avalon and probably learn a thing or two in the process.

-The Glimmering Spark of Hope: Improving your skills with weapons/martial arts/spells won't just improve your ability to use those items. Characters who improve a skill will find themselves learning new techniques in battles with the spark of inspiration being represented as a flashing lightbulb before their new attack goes off.

-Formation Based Combat: While RS2 mostly has traditional turn based combat, an additional level of strategy can be found in formations, which change how your party is positioned in combat while also altering their statistics. You can find more formation possibilities through your adventure.

-Life Points: Running out of HP isn't the death of your character! On top of your hitpoints, all characters have Life Points, which represent their overall life force. Losing all your HP will cause a character to lose LP, and subsequent hits to an unconscious character will cause your LP to also run out. As long as you still have LP, your heroes will recover all their health at the end of every combat. Run out of LP, and your character will die forever. If your current emperor runs out of LP, then it's lights out for that generation and a new emperor or empress will rise to take over for their fallen parent.

-Class Warfare: While levels are gone, RS2 still has a class system to help determine the starting stats and abilities of your characters.

-Kingdom Management: As the years go on, your empire can grow as your deeds expand your borders to new lands. New lands means more taxes, which subsequently gives you more funding to research new gear and spells.

P0hsJyW.gif

What's New:
Most immediately, this game features revamped visuals, with HD backgrounds, a new UI paired, touched up versions of the original sprites, and animated boss sprites. In addition, the game also features four new dungeons, a new scenario, a new mechanic, two classes, and a New Game+ mode to carry all your stuff over to a new game.

c8gQll7.jpg

Why Should I Care:

If you are coming into this already hating SaGa games, this game won't likely change your minds, but I hope you still give it a shot regardless. Though the mobile phone versions have been out in the west for a year, this game receiving a widescale release on everything else under the sun, making it easier than ever for people to give this gem a shot. Furthermore, until recently, RS2 was one of Square's last really big SNES-era RPGs to not be localized in any form, with the game having been tragically passed up in its own time and fan translations never coming to fruition for it. It's thus mildly important from a historical standpoint for genre fans. Likewise, it was generally a well regarded game in its own time, so it's nice for the west to get a chance to experience the game in all its Kawazu-y glory.

kPuVKbg.png

(do it for him)

FAQs (more to be added)
Q: Do I need to have played the other SaGa games/the other Romancing SaGas?
A: No. Each SaGa game is effectively its own contained story, often in their own self contained setting. That said, the Romancing SaGas are all tied together by the continued presence of the mysterious Bard.

Q: SaGa games can sometimes get pretty different from game to game. Which ones does this mostly resemble?
A: Most immediately, it has the same freeform adventuring elements that were seen in Romancing SaGa 1 and 3, as well as SaGa Frontier 1. That said, the way it handles a rotating cast over the course of a dynastic history that also involves a bit of kingdom management brings it slightly in line with SaGa Frontier 2. Mechanically speaking, it resembles all those games.

Q: Is there crossbuy?
A: Xbox One and Windows 10 does. PS4 and Vita have cross save, but not crossbuy.

Q: Do I need to beat myself up to get stronger in this one?
A: No. Stop asking. That wasn't even a good strategy in FF2.

Q: Is Akitoshi Kawazu really the best?
A: Yes

K9GxG2W.jpg

Screenshots and Video:
PetPnvG.jpg

2U0ZdGy.jpg

PPLUXFW.jpg

trhibFU.jpg

el4NgZw.jpg

pBLzeCt.jpg

Community Advice:

SaGa games can often be dense for newcomers and veterans alike, so this is where we the community will be coming together to help each other explore and discover the world of Avalon. As this is also an older game that others may have played in its original form on the Super Famicom, on later ports, or in last year's release on mobile phones, advice from older players to help newcomers will be greatly appreciated.

Steam Control/Full Screen Settings

So for those who want controller support to work on Steam, this is how to do it (found this in a discussion on Steam):

View > Settings > Controller > [GENERAL CONTROLLER SETTINGS] button

Make sure these are checked:

Guide Button Focuses Steam
PS4 Configuration Support
Xbox Configuration Support
Generic Gamepad Configuration Support

Perhaps the OP creator can put this in the OP, that way people can find it.

--

Alt + Enter works, and it stays in full screen every time now. Also, Alt + F4 works to close the game without having to go into menus. Just remember to save first, lol.

Managing the Encounter System

RE: Enemy symbols
First, RS1 was a terrible game, and RS2 learned all the lessons about how NOT to be like that game. Don't get scared by the RS1 gif, RS2 is nothing like that.
Then, you shouldn't be running everywhere, but you also shouldn't be walking everywhere. If you're attacked while running, you break formation, but remember running away from battle has a 100% success rate, so if you're stuck, simply run away, initiate combat, and fight. It also works if you're facing a particularly bad opponent (the green hydra comes to mind) to re-roll the enemy.
The game DOES become harder the more fights you do, but it never becomes insanely hard like RS1, and you won't fail quests like in Minstrel Song. Even the worst mob enemies remain manageable if you balance your party well, AND you can run away as long as you didn't get yourself cornered. Don't be too scared to initiate fights, there is no harsh penalty for grinding.

You need to play the game like if you were playing Resident Evil 1. Do not initiate all the fights except if you are grinding XP, money or development in your castle. Spend the first hours of the game understanding enemy movements.
Each symbol moves in different ways: blobs are slow and only target you when you get too close, snakes move towards you for a set distance then stop, goblins walk at random until they see you and the jog towards you, mammals run fast until they see you then sprint, birds fly super fast in all direction...
You need to understand their patterns, walk and stop until you see an opening, and then move around the enemies, run for a short distance (even though you won't see the enemies, if you have studied the composition of the room you should be able to predict where they go as you run) and reach the next door. The player skill you need to develop (and you'll get increasingly better as you play the game) is really the ability to navigate a map. The run is a very useful tool, but it needs to be used sparingly.
The game is built in that optic, as it introduce some other types of enemies (soldiers, ghosts, octopi) gradually during the first part of the game. The maps are also built to incite you to play that way (the Ludon plain allowing you to run around that big rock, or the desert being specifically made to screw you over). You can also gauge the difficulty of an area by looking at the lay-out or enemy concentration. The Jungle, for example, is a very difficult area not because of enemy concentration, but because the layout is made specifically to make it difficult to avoid the fast birds and very slow snakes/plants.

Imagine everything is a room in the Spencer mansion and you'll be fine.
(Note: this is also how you're supposed to play Minstrel Song)

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for real ? Button tax ???
It's more expensive even when discounted that the mobile version oO

Deleted member 7529

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was stupidly excited when I heard this was coming to Switch. I've always wanted to beat a Romancing SaGa game, but fantranslations haven't done it for me, and I had assumed these remasters were stuck on Mobile and Vita. Really hoping to make it through fully on an official release.

Will definitely keep an eye on this thread for useful information, as the progression system of this series still confuses me a bit.

EDIT: Off-topic but I'm waiting with bated breath for the Romancing SaGa 3 remaster to be completed. That game got me interested in the franchise with it's beautiful monster art that puts even Final Fantasy VI to shame.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP!

Should we start gathering advice for the first players, such as
talking to Emerald the first time you get control of Gerald
?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I will buy this, RS2 is a big hole in my playthrough of the series along with RS1 SNES. I wanted to play the latter before the game popped but it was much earlier than I expected considering the lack of news until last month.

Only thing that I know is that RS2 seems to be the most cult game in Japan out of the RS series. I've "spoiled" myself somewhat but I know that there are a lot of parodies and MADs about it on niconico.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I remember buying Saga Frontier 2 (PS1) and getting really salty because I didn't fully understand the game mechanics. On paper, this series sounds like the greatest thing of all time.

I'ma give Saga a shot. Good job, OP.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It sure took them long enough. I hope it does well, but I know that it won't.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this would be cheaper, but I'll still pick this up tomorrow.

I've never played this series and the description for this game caught my attention.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played any of the series but looking forward to checking this one out. Xenoblade 2 is done and dusted and I need my JRPG fix. I'll be buying this as soon as it hits the eShop.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Great news this is coming to every platform under the sun, but man, SE and their ridiculous prices. Why this is more expensive than the phone version (and even the SO4 port which was made for 4k) I'll never know. Seriously, $25 full price? Should be $10.

Anyway, I don't mean to stink up the thread, as I am a big fan of the series. I would love to buy it again for Steam but I suppose I'll wait for a sale, as I already have it on Android. Maybe I'll pull out the game again and play along with you all. There are some interesting scenarios in the game.

Oh, and be warned--Kawazu games can get stupid hard, and seemingly without warning. But the unusual nature of the games are such a reward in my opinion. Hope more people enjoy the series.

Oh, and: praying for a Romancing SaGa 3 remaster and localization.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds really, really good. I always wanted to give the SaGa games a shot but never did, so I think I'll pick this one up to play it after I beat FF2 since I got Origins earlier this year.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
If they managed to make the sprites scale well to a tv screen, it will be really tempting. We'll see what it's like.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I've only played one Saga game, and I honestly don't recall if I even liked it. The description sounds interesting, though, so I'll be on the lookout for impressions. Seems like a good fit for Vita/Switch.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
really glad this game got a nice O F F I C I A L T H R E A D it's seriously such a miracle that this localization even happened

looking forward to impressions from people on various platforms to help me figure out where I should actually buy it and play it.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, OP, you did a great job of convincing me to grab this. I was already considering it since I've really been itching for an RPG on the Switch (and Project Octopath Traveller is so far away...), but now I'm completely sold!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I probably don't have the time for it, but I'm so in day one to at least support more games like this. Hopefully the next step involves remaking the Frontier series and maybe even a new game down the line.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
FFL2/SaGa 2 and SaGa Frontier remain two of my favorite games of all time, so I'm hoping this one can compare to those.

The hardest choice is whether to buy it on PS4 or Switch. :P

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So how unpenetrable is this for a SaGa nuub? Always been interested in these games but never have gotten around to actually buy one, partly because I've gotten the impression they can be quite obscure and challenging. Probably would have bought Minstrel Song back in the day but Square in their infinite wisdom didn't release it in Europe and never got around importing it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see how many people will be able to beat the final boss without cheesing it. It's probably the most difficult SaGa game to beat next to SaGa Frontier 2 in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
I am so excited to buy this tomorrow so that I can play it...I don't know, like a year from now. I'm drowning in games, dammit. Kawazu is the best legal drug.
I recall hearing some concern about the localization, did any of that bear out?
I never played the mobile version, but the footage that I saw of it was...rough. But the average SNES era kind of rough, not like, unintelligible rough. It's not Alexander O. Smith, or even Ted Woolsey, but it's also not Ys VIII.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I started this on phone but lasted about 10 minutes with the touch controls, I'll be back again with buttons

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting a higher price, I was hoping for a lower price. Will buy, though. No questions asked.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, half expected it to be more expensive than the mobile version after the discount ended, but not before.

Whatever, I'll still jump in unless the Switch version is trash relative to other versions, in which case I'll use that credit for something else and get it on Steam or PS4

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I've only ever played Saga Frontier, but it's one of my favorite PS1 era RPGs. I'm gonna check this out for sure.