• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Romancing Saga 3 comes to the west November 11th, Scarlet Grace on December 3rd.

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
Day 1 for both! Can't believe this TGS brings so much good news from Brigandine, Famicom Tantei Club and these 2 :D

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
How is the remake for the first one on PS2 ?
RS Minstrel Song is one of the best entry in SaGa series imo.
It also happens to be the most polished SaGa entry, but it might not be as newbie friendly due to how progression works and a lot more sub-systems (class, tech type, row effect, surge/reverse, combo, exploration skills, etc) than usual SaGa.
RS3 is more newbie friendly and is probably one of the easier SaGa game.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
RS Minstrel Song is one of the best entry in SaGa series imo.
It also happens to be the most polished SaGa entry, but it might not be as newbie friendly due to how progression works and a lot more sub-systems (class, tech type, row effect, surge/reverse, combo, exploration skills, etc) than usual SaGa.
RS3 is more newbie friendly and is probably one of the easier SaGa game.
Rs3 is great. Just remember to try and get great equipment and spark techs (is there even a full tech sparking guide in English?) without getting your stats TOO high. Everything scales to your level, including the final dungeon mini bosses and the final boss.

Last play through I felt I was nearly good enough to win, but couldn't beat the final boss, even having beaten the four final dungeon mini bosses. So I reloaded a save, grinded, and tried again. Couldn't beat one of the mini bosses.

iamleyeti

Sep 12, 2019
France
Really excited by these games! Scarlet Saga feels quite special and RS3 is cult.

Now I just have to play RS2 I bought when it came out on Switch…

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
Rs3 is great. Just remember to try and get great equipment and spark techs (is there even a full tech sparking guide in English?) without getting your stats TOO high. Everything scales to your level, including the final dungeon mini bosses and the final boss.

Last play through I felt I was nearly good enough to win, but couldn't beat the final boss, even having beaten the four final dungeon mini bosses. So I reloaded a save, grinded, and tried again. Couldn't beat one of the mini bosses.
You can grind once you unlock the last dungeon, but the stats from grinding likely won't help that much.
Team composition and techs you have are the deciding factor against the last boss.
Regarding sparking tech, I remember some of later quests have monsters that let you spark techs more easily.
For guide, there aren't many for this game, because there was no English release and the fan translation was quite bad.
If you're just looking for tech lists, can check http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/rs3/waza.shtml

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017
How is the remake for the first one on PS2 ?
Fantastic game, but very complex. It was supposed to be Kawazu's last game as a director, and he created it as a send-off of his entire career, using RS1's hollow structure to put elements from all his previous games (and a lot comes from U:S and WC).
It's not like games where you need a strategy guide to find the best items or craft the best recipies: Minstrel Song's strategy guide is the instruction manual.
Think of playing a tabletop RPG without reading the player's handbook first, without any player to fill you in.

Jan 11, 2018
I really wish we'd get a physical release of Scarlet Grace. Oh well. Would be nice if they made a physical compilation at some point, but probably not gonna happen either. Star Ocean remasters have also been digital only, as well as The Last Remnant. Sigh.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Just seeing this news - I've always been curious about RS3. What makes it that good?
it's a pretty game with a lot of unique quests*, so there's a tone there that you don't really see in a lot of other jrpgs
(granted: it is still an attempt at doing an open world jrpg on the snes)

*by unique quests i mean a lot of them have interesting locations and bosses associated with them even though they typically fall into a "dungeon -> boss fight" structure

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu article outlining new features:
  • New dungeon ("Labyrinth of Darkness" in Japanese, god knows what in English): Located south of Pidona, visiting it apparently gives you insight to the main character backstories (the two featured in this article: Harid Khalid and Julien)
  • Romancing SaGa 2 Remaster's "Start a New Game+ anytime" feature returns, so you can restart the game at any point with enhanced levels to make it easier on you
  • Updated UI and fonts to make it easier to read on phones, a Diary feature that lets you see what quests you've taken part of so far, an Auto Save feature, and a Cross Save for PS4-Vita and XBO-PC.

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed they added the events in such an inelegant way instead of placing them on the map... I hope they'll complete the ones that weren't finished, like the smith.
Also, the monsters in the labyrinth drop weapons that used to be "one chance only if the monster didn't drop it you're screwed", which is a welcome improvement. Too bad the sphinx they're showing looks like a bad fan-edit.

ANYWAY. GIMME.