• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
FWd3tlJUUAAKgWJ

This has been posted in the RTMI thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.
All the toxicity towards the dev team makes me sad on so many levels. I'm still baffled as to why on earth so many drop any sense of decency as long as they're anonymous.
Those assholes also seem to lack self reflection, as I've seen people who've posted stuff like "Guybrush looks like shit!" pretend they are not part of the problem. "It looks like shit!" is a pretty terrible thing to say to a creator and it doesn't matter if you don't think it is or not. If it is hurtful it is hurtful.
They've actually driven the joy of sharing away from Ron Gilbert.
I wouldn't be surprised if all this is making sure that this will definitively be the last Monkey Island game from Gilbert.
In the end it was the fans that killed Monkey Island....

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Fans can be the freaking worst I swear. It'll be good for the team's mental health to do this, but it's sad that what's meant to be a direct way to communicate with fans and developers has to be cut off thanks to shitty people.

Also, Return To Monkey Island looks great, what the heck are they on.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. I actually love the art style as well and while I get peoples criticisms you don't have to be toxic about it.

LazyGradient

Nov 9, 2020
I wish Ron and the team the best, I'm looking forward to the next MI. Shame some people are just privileged idiots.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've seen this sort of behaviour even on this board.

It's okay to criticize and discuss but the moment your comment is the most basic twitch/youtube/random forum drop a la 'xy looks shit...crap...hideous'... You're not inviting discussion, but only toxicity.

At least try to think about what it could mean for developers making the game, and clearly passionately. People who go beyond that and threaten devs are on another level of course, just allaround terrible prople disguised by internet anonimity.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Man, I really like the art direction. Not a fan of Guybrush's 5 o'clock shadow, but I don't care that much. I just wanna be reunited with all the characters I loved interacting with growing up and this game seems to be doing that.

Such a shame people are being shitty. It's ok to dislike something, but you don't have to be toxic to the creators. Especially when we all know how much this franchise means to everyone involved. So lame

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers are fucking embarrassing.
Sending lot of love to the MI team. You're doing great <3

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
User Banned (1 Week): Victim Blaming
They must've known the art style will be controversial and went with it anyway. If you decide to do that then better just not read comments because internet is internet.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
The art style isn't for me personally but I love Monkey Island and Guybrush enough that I'm happy to play the game anyway, I'm sure it'll win me round in the end.

Everyone commenting bullshit to him because they don't like it can get in the bin tbh, we'd be better off as a society without them. If you don't like it, just move on.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for not liking the animations and voicing my opinion on this forum now :/

New Username

Jul 12, 2018
Fans are the absolute worst.

Separately, I think Ron is a person who definitely struggles with the emotional side of the public-facing components of his job, which is too bad given that he's also chosen not to work in a larger company which results in him being the one that has to do the public-facing stuff. I think some people are just wired a certain way. Hope he finds a happy balance at some point in his career. If I was him, I'd consider it worth pretty much any price to hire someone to isolate me from that side of things.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't like the new style at all and have said that on here but I'd never attack the devs for the choices they've made. It's ridiculous how petulant some people are towards something they literally have no hold over.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Man, that sucks for Ron- the art style wasn't to my tastes but I'm sure as hell buying the game based of the writing and pedigree of him and his team.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
What's the problem? Are people really that pissed about the Art-Style? Sure it's not everyones taste but it is far from bad. I for myself actually really like it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They must've known the art style will be controversial and went with it anyway. If you decide to do that then better just not read comments because internet is internet.

The comment section on Ron's blog has been open for years now, and has been the source of great interaction between the devs and fans, not just an empty open field where people comment into an empty hole. This has now been taken away.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to go any further than the Return to Monkey Island threads on this very forum to see how shitty people are. Even after Ron wrote a blog post defending the art style, people still just said nasty things.

Saying you don't like an art style? Totally fine. Saying it's shitty, cheap, repulsive, etc... is just you being an asshole about something someone else put a lot of work into.

Ron waited like 20 years for the opportunity to make this game, and "fans" have literally ruined it for him. It's fucking sad.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
...this is so sad. It's so sad how often people make comments that completely disregard that there is someone on the receiving end that is a person just like them, that deserves respect.

I hope Ron and the rest of the team don't get disheartened by this sort of thing, unfortunately the most toxic are many times the most vocal, but that does not mean that there are a lot of people (the majority of people, I'd risk saying) excited and grateful that this game is getting made.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, many gamers tend to be assholes about a lot of stuff unless it's hundred percent perfect and completly caters to them.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is sad...

The game looks amazing! Can't wait! So happy Monkey Island is returning, one of my fave series ever!

Oct 26, 2017
We've seen this sort of behaviour even on this board.

It's okay to criticize and discuss but the moment your comment is the most basic twitch/youtube/random forum drop a la 'xy looks shit...crap...hideous'... You're not inviting discussion, but only toxicity.

At least try to think about what it could mean for developers making the game, and clearly passionately. People who go beyond that and threaten devs are on another level of course, just allaround terrible prople disguised by internet anonimity.

Definitely happens here. Even with something that is overall great and unique like Ms Marvel, some people can't resist calling every little thing that isn't AAAA perfection total shit.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
The response to the game, even in this forum, has been downright embarrassing. You don't need to be a toxic asshole just because you dislike the artstyle. We're getting a frigging new Monkey Island game written by Ron Gilbert. People should be ecstatic. Instead, they're losing their shit over Guybrush's face.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
What? We're finally getting a true sequel to MI2 and people are just complaining ? As a huge fan of the series this is a dream come true. Everything about the game looks and sounds awesome. It's a day one for me

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the animations and some of the faces, the rest is more than ok in my book, but never in a million years I'd go out of my way to send some vile comments to the devs, some people just have zero decency.

How can you be so goddamn shitty? Probably the same people that haver zero respect for retail workers etc.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel bad for not liking the animations and voicing my opinion on this forum now :/

There's nothing wrong with disliking something. It's how you present that dislike that is the issue. There's a big difference between 'I'm glad Monkey Island is back, but man, this art style is just not for me and I'm really not digging it' and 'This art style is shit and I hope everyone involved in it is boiled alive.'

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The response to the game, even in this forum, has been downright embarrassing. You don't need to be a toxic asshole just because you dislike the artstyle. We're getting a frigging new Monkey Island game written by Ron Gilbert. People should be ecstatic. Instead, they're losing their shit over Guybrush's face.
Gaming is getting bigger yet some people are getting more narrow minded as it goes. The amount of negativity you see surrounding most announcements is nuts. The crazy part is that people think their behavior is normal.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Read the comments on his blog. It's mostly assholes whining about leftists and calling him a cuck. Not surprising though I would have never guessed looking at this trailer that this would happen.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this sucks. I really hope it's "only" the joy of sharing what has driven away from him, and not the joy of realizing what should've been a dream for many (including him).

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Could not feel any worse for Ron and the team.

What a fucking joke.

The best announcement in years and its release now already tarnished by this abhorrent shit.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
It's because of his soul-less eyes!

But people think they should have chose a better style, which doesn't have soul-less eyes:

This shit reminds me of TLOU-"fans" complaining about Joel`s shoulders not looking manly enough in Part 2. What a bunch of pathetic, infantile wankers.

I wish all the best to Gilbert and the team and I hope the game is going to be a huge success for them.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I hate "fans".

What was shown looks so good, can't wait.