• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a simple question and wondering how moderation works in Era.

Ronda Rousey said something transphobic.

What is the level of bring bannable

Ronda transphobic comment and someone agreeing with it is bannable, this I agree with

Ronda has said something transphobic in the past, and someone makes a post about Ronda that's nothing to with her past transphobic comment, but something unrelated to do with her, is that bannable as the poster should not post anything about her as it's giving her a platform so all her stuff is bannable is this how the modding works here.

Another example, some religions like Islam there are scriptures that are homophobic, are all Islam threads in Era basically banned, such as Ramadan thread etc?

Just want to know where the line is and how moderation works as there is a sea of people being banned here
Ronda Rousey is a religion now?

Oct 30, 2017
Ronda Rousey is a religion now?

Strange I didn't confirm Ronda was a religion widener where you got that from or is it some sort of sarcasm?

My question is on if any public person has said something racist, transphobic, sexist and etc in the past, and there have been no apologies. Is any discussion of that person banned that's unrelated to this previous racist, transphobic comment.

Although Islam is a religion and not a person, for example your standard Sunni hanafi Muslim, the views and chain of narrations that these Muslims follow are considered homophobic. Are Muslims banned on era? So we ban every Muslim thread.
Same way we ban Ronda threads?

Just wanna know how moderation works here?

Or are Muslims welcome here as long as there don't make homophobic posts.

Same with Ronda fans being welcome here as long as they don't have posts agreeing with here transphobic comment. For example a Ronda post congratulating her WWE win is allowed?

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strange I didn't confirm Ronda was a religion widener where you got that from or is it some sort of sarcasm?

My question is on if any public person has said something racist, transphobic, sexist and etc in the past, and there have been no apologies. Is any discussion of that person banned that's unrelated to this previous racist, transphobic comment.

Although Islam is a religion and not a person, for example your standard Sunni hanafi Muslim, the views and chain of narrations that these Muslims follow are considered homophobic. Are Muslims banned on era? So we ban every Muslim thread.
Same way we ban Ronda threads?

Just wanna know how moderation works here?
I was wondering how you got from a person to an entire religion, that's why I asked. also, and that's just my guess, supporting/defending somebody's views on trans/homophobia gets you in trouble. I think it's redundant to mention that this is a gaming forum and therefore we as a group might have a chance in influencing the current situation.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Another example, some religions like Islam there are scriptures that are homophobic, are all Islam threads in Era basically banned, such as Ramadan thread etc?

Actually as far as I know, there is no religion that has a sacret text that is 100% clear cut that homosexuality is bad.
There are always interpretations favorable to both sides, specially because society was INSANELY different when the time the religious texts were writen, so even for scholars it is hard to interpret them. This is why there are literally majors in reading religious texts.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm transuninformed not phobic, because I am not sure what changes in an elite male athlete who comes out as female, who was assigned the wrong gender at birth. They have every right to be who they are, but there isn't a change to their core physiology is there? In some way, again being uninformed, it seems like the gender divides in competition have only to do with physicality. After seeing the hurt and outrage in this thread directed at Rhonda's refusal to compete, it's clear I need a better understanding. I'm not out here to hurt anyone with my ignorance but unless I understand this better, I'm thinking like Rhonda. A transgendered female (formally male) is going to match better pound for pound in the male division. And yes I read more than one page and staff notes. I don't get it, yet (but I want to!).

The other bullshit she's on is enough to say she's probably close minded and not a great representative to hang your company hat on.

Then again celebrity is weird. The nation has a lot of folks with their head in the sand about a lot of things and a lot of people.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think I'm transuninformed not phobic, because I am not sure what changes in an elite male athlete who comes out as female, who was assigned the wrong gender at birth. They have every right to be who they are, but there isn't a change to their core physiology is there? In some way, again being uninformed, it seems like the gender divides in competition have only to do with physicality. After seeing the hurt and outrage in this thread directed at Rhonda's refusal to compete, it's clear I need a better understanding. I'm not out here to hurt anyone with my ignorance but unless I understand this better, I'm thinking like Rhonda. A transgendered female (formally male) is going to match better pound for pound in the male division. And yes I read more than one page and staff notes. I don't get it, yet (but I want to!).

Most scientific finds, including the ones from the Olympic Comitee, shows that lack of testosterone for exentende periods of time (at least 2 years for the olympics) and estrogen on regular levels means that pratically any physical difference made by the testosterone is negated. It should also be noted that trans woman compete in sports events for DECADES and in the olympics for more specifically since the 2004 olympics and we have ZERO evidence of a trans woman even getting a silver medal in most sports. Hell, like I said before, the same trans woman Rhonda complained has a shittier card than her.

So yeah, skin, bone density, muscle mass, metabolysm, liver capacity, body oleosity, fat distribution and more are ridiculously changed after years of hormone therapy. The only thing that does not change is bone SIZE if done after puberty but 1) most trans people started before puberty and ideally will never ever reach puberty and 2) bigger bones with smaller density and shorter hips might even make some of the stuff harder.

Also, regular pro sports players have genetic advantages far greater than anything left on a person who had a traumatized puberty.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think it will take for the WWE to drop the scripted promos? I remember prior to the attitude era that there were a number of WWE wrestlers who despised and resented the lame gimmicks they were given, probably Bob Holly being the most prominent examples. I strongly believe that if WCW was not kicking their ass in the ratings that the attitude era would never have happened, and that there would be no Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.

If AEW's use of free styling promos becomes successful

-- Do you see WWE adopting that practice or...
-- WWE talent looking to find their prospects elsewhere, be it in NJPW or AEW?

It would take vince retiring or being backed into a corner as badly as he was in the monday night wars.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to be honest, male and female body differ in terms of physical prowess, i can see why a female fighter would not want to go on a cage with someone that used to be a male with all the advantages that it implies.

there's a reason why in sports we have male and female as separate categories.I don't think it makes you a transphobic.

can't say anything for the other allegations though

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
to be honest, male and female body differ in terms of physical prowess, i can see why a female fighter would not want to go on a cage with someone that used to be a male with all the advantages that it implies.

there's a reason why in sports we have male and female as separate categories.I don't think it makes you a transphobic.

You should probably check the studies in this post too. https://www.resetera.com/threads/ro...check-staff-posts.94189/page-14#post-16996756
Also transwomen have been competing in the Olympics alongside other women since 2004.

Edit: As a bonus here's a transgender man winning his first boxing match after transitioning in professional debut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4oxaALY43E
In 2012 he was competing in the female Olympic trials, but it ended in a shoulder injury. Months later to that, he began the transition.
Edit 2: Here's a little doc about him in the official Olympic channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2loniTaVfY

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
What about the prospect of talent defecting to AEW if they provided more artistic freedom with competitive salaries?

Money, schedule and travel are more likely to determine that. Creative freedom is a factor, but not the most important one for most.

Vince has already offered to double any aew offer for people he perceives as stars.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit

ffs read the thread or even just this page

Jun 7, 2018
This thread is like that Black mirror episode where people have ratings and if their ratings got low enough they would be shunned from society. Rousey has a low rating right now.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This thread is like that Black mirror episode where people have ratings and if their ratings got low enough they would be shunned from society. Rousey has a low rating right now.
Not sure if she would tbh. Plenty of people would rate up for it, not down. We haven't progressed far enough to transphobia being largely condemned. Also those other strikes against her wouldn't probably be enough either. Which is why they felt okay casting her. Kevin Spacey isn't going to be in any new COD games though.

Sman1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Bigotry; Account in Junior Phase
I'm curious as to how her opinions matter in this situation, as this is a video game about gratuitous amounts of violence? Just because she has different opinions/ideas does not make her a rl villain. Chill, yeesh.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a GamerGate thing at all. It's just about one problematic idiot (Ronda).

The GamerGate crowd (or what is left of that dead "movement") are actually complaining that NRS has gone "SJW" because they decided to cover up the women more than the ridiculousness of MK9.

lol, going SJW? Anything more revealing than MK9 would be having the women fighting without any fucking clothes.

And that secret costume came pretty close to exactly that.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should probably check the studies in this post too. https://www.resetera.com/threads/ro...check-staff-posts.94189/page-14#post-16996756
Also transwomen have been competing in the Olympics alongside other women since 2004.

It was a decision based in part on a Dutch study in the European Journal of Endocrinology, which found that within a year after gender-reassignment surgery, trans women had testosterone and haemoglobin levels no higher than their female-born compatriots. That's important because high testosterone is associated with masculine levels of muscle mass and strength, while high haemoglobin is associated with greater aerobic capacity and therefore speed.

testosterone and haemoglobin levels are not the only differences though, there a shitton of parameters that differ between how a male and female body develops, just saying that those 2 parameters are not effected (testosterone was expected since as far as i know you take drugs to suppress it when you change gender) isn't as saying that there's no difference at all

the linked paper itself says the research is inconclusive and the data they have is limited.

Some were national-class talents, others mid-pack competitors, but in research published last year in the Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities, she found that, like hers, their average age-and-gender-graded performances barely budged after their transitions.

english is not my first language,but i'm sure i'm missing something in this study...it seems to imply that their prowess didn't get worse after turning..which would actually argue both pro and against making them compete with cisgender athletes..since from a point of view means that whatever prowess they derived from previously being of another gender was not affected by the loss of testosterone and muscle mass...and on the other it kinda implies that those things that they lost in the turning process were not crucial to their performances..but that would go against everything we know about testosterone.

that being said, i'm nowhere near an expert in the field, so all i can say is that by admission of the paper itself, the research is very limited and ,to quote the paper "
"the author makes no claims as to the equality of performances, pre and post gender transition, in any other sport"

this one isn't a study per se..according to the paper the authors just collected other research articles on the matter, selected the ones that they deemed worthy..and again for their own admission

"It is therefore difficult to draw any definite conclusions because of the lack of quantitative research. By its very nature, the findings from qualitative research cannot be generalised but the findings can be used to form a platform from which generalisations can be made "

also,contrary to their "conclusion" part,when they actually start discussing the thesis there seems little to be about actual performance

"The research articles reviewed here described a generally negative experience of sport participation and sport-related physical activity for transgender individuals. It was evident from these studies that transgender people are facing barriers when engaging in competitive sport and sport-related physical activity. In relation to sport-related physical activity, lack of accessibility to an inclusive and comfortable environment appeared to be the primary barrier to participation. Charities and support organisations working with transgender people should consider developing campaigns to raise awareness about different gender identities. Leisure centres should also be made more aware of potential gender differences (i.e. via training and greater information provision) and be given advice on how to make such environments more inclusive of transgender people (e.g. gender neutral changing facilities with cubicles). In relation to competitive sport participation, the findings from this systematic review suggest that the requirements that transgender competitive sport policies place on competitors were instrumental in transgender athletes' negative experiences. "

when it starts talking about actual body changes goes back focusing mainly on testosterone..strange thing is that it seems to review something similiar,if not the same paper,linkedbefore, but here it says that their performances decreased with the lack of testosterone..which would make more sense so I probably just read the other paper wrong?

"To date, Harper's study [72] is the only one to directly explore androgenic hormones and athletic ability. The aim of the study was to explore the long-distance (5–42 km) running times of eight transgender female individuals pre- and post-testosterone suppression. It was found that post-testosterone suppression running times were significantly slower in comparison to pre-testosterone suppression. Harper stated that owing to reductions in testosterone and haemoglobin, transgender female individuals post-transition would have the same endurance capabilities as a cisgender female individual. However, the sample size was very small (n = 8) and participants were asked to self-report their race times, which might have been subject to recall or social desirability bias. "

then it seems to go against that same study saying

"On average, men perform better than women in sport; however, no empirical research has identified the specific reason(s) why. Based mainly on indirect research with cisgender people, it is commonly believed that androgenic hormones (specifically high testosterone levels) confer an advantage in competitive sports (i.e. enhance endurance, increase muscle mass) and, while this belief has informed several sporting policies, testosterone may not be the primary, or even a helpful, marker in determining athletic advantage "

so it's not testosterone in the end?

and it concludes with another "data is inconclusive" part like the others

"When it is safe and fair to permit a transgender person to compete in sport in line with their experienced gender? At the current time, this is a difficult issue to address considering that there is a lack of direct and consistent physiological performance-related data with transgender people, which is preventing a consensus from being made as to whether transgender people (especially transgender female individuals) do or do not have an athletic advantage. It may be sensible to suggest that until there are direct and consistent scientific data to suggest that transgender competitors have an advantage, transgender people should be allowed to compete in accordance with their gender identity with no restrictions "

so,in the end, those linked studies aren't really as definitive as it seems from that post and the issue seems to be resumable with "we don't really know what gives male bodies the advantages clearly verifiable with statistical data,it might be just testosterone but we are not really completely sure if there are other factors, since we don't have enough datawe suggest that transgender atheletes shouldn't be discrimined based on incomplete data"

which is a fair assessment, but doesn't make anyone that thinks otherwise a transphobe.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm curious as to how her opinions matter in this situation, as this is a video game about gratuitous amounts of violence? Just because she has different opinions/ideas does not make her a rl villain. Chill, yeesh.
First of all, there's more than "opinions" as she is also self-admitted domestic abuser. Secondly her "opinions" which she has shared are extremely hurtful and also harmful to other people. People expect that to have some concequences in her life, rather than her to be given opportunities like this. Also her "opinions" don't mean jack shit over scientific research, yet because of her celebrity status she helps to spread harmful and incorrect rhetoric. Even straight up conspiracies. People don't want someone's fame and reach to be boosted even more, because what she says/does or has said and done influences other people too. Also people simply find it off-putting that they have to hear her in the game, so it hurts the product too.

Or that's how I see it, I haven't really boycotted media over similar things myself. But often companies don't hire people who would go against their values, so this can make it seem that WB and NRS either share some similar sentiments. Or they just don't give a shit, but many people expect them to.
testosterone and haemoglobin levels are not the only differences though, there a shitton of parameters that differ between how a male and female body develops, just saying that those 2 parameters are not effected (testosterone was expected since as far as i know you take drugs to suppress it when you change gender) isn't as saying that there's no difference at all

the linked paper itself says the research is inconclusive and the data they have is limited.

english is not my first language,but i'm sure i'm missing something in this study...it seems to imply that their prowess didn't get worse after turning..which would actually argue both pro and against making them compete with cisgender athletes..since from a point of view means that whatever prowess they derived from previously being of another gender was not affected by the loss of testosterone and muscle mass...and on the other it kinda implies that those things that they lost in the turning process were not crucial to their performances..but that would go against everything we know about testosterone.

that being said, i'm nowhere near an expert in the field, so all i can say is that by admission of the paper itself, the research is very limited and ,to quote the paper "
"the author makes no claims as to the equality of performances, pre and post gender transition, in any other sport"

this one isn't a study per se..according to the paper the authors just collected other research articles on the matter, selected the ones that they deemed worthy..and again for their own admission

"It is therefore difficult to draw any definite conclusions because of the lack of quantitative research. By its very nature, the findings from qualitative research cannot be generalised but the findings can be used to form a platform from which generalisations can be made "

also,contrary to their "conclusion" part,when they actually start discussing the thesis there seems little to be about actual performance

"The research articles reviewed here described a generally negative experience of sport participation and sport-related physical activity for transgender individuals. It was evident from these studies that transgender people are facing barriers when engaging in competitive sport and sport-related physical activity. In relation to sport-related physical activity, lack of accessibility to an inclusive and comfortable environment appeared to be the primary barrier to participation. Charities and support organisations working with transgender people should consider developing campaigns to raise awareness about different gender identities. Leisure centres should also be made more aware of potential gender differences (i.e. via training and greater information provision) and be given advice on how to make such environments more inclusive of transgender people (e.g. gender neutral changing facilities with cubicles). In relation to competitive sport participation, the findings from this systematic review suggest that the requirements that transgender competitive sport policies place on competitors were instrumental in transgender athletes' negative experiences. "

when it starts talking about actual body changes goes back focusing mainly on testosterone..strange thing is that it seems to review something similiar,if not the same paper,linkedbefore, but here it says that their performances decreased with the lack of testosterone..which would make more sense so I probably just read the other paper wrong?

"To date, Harper's study [72] is the only one to directly explore androgenic hormones and athletic ability. The aim of the study was to explore the long-distance (5–42 km) running times of eight transgender female individuals pre- and post-testosterone suppression. It was found that post-testosterone suppression running times were significantly slower in comparison to pre-testosterone suppression. Harper stated that owing to reductions in testosterone and haemoglobin, transgender female individuals post-transition would have the same endurance capabilities as a cisgender female individual. However, the sample size was very small (n = 8) and participants were asked to self-report their race times, which might have been subject to recall or social desirability bias. "

then it seems to go against that same study saying

"On average, men perform better than women in sport; however, no empirical research has identified the specific reason(s) why. Based mainly on indirect research with cisgender people, it is commonly believed that androgenic hormones (specifically high testosterone levels) confer an advantage in competitive sports (i.e. enhance endurance, increase muscle mass) and, while this belief has informed several sporting policies, testosterone may not be the primary, or even a helpful, marker in determining athletic advantage "

so it's not testosterone in the end?

and it concludes with another "data is inconclusive" part like the others

"When it is safe and fair to permit a transgender person to compete in sport in line with their experienced gender? At the current time, this is a difficult issue to address considering that there is a lack of direct and consistent physiological performance-related data with transgender people, which is preventing a consensus from being made as to whether transgender people (especially transgender female individuals) do or do not have an athletic advantage. It may be sensible to suggest that until there are direct and consistent scientific data to suggest that transgender competitors have an advantage, transgender people should be allowed to compete in accordance with their gender identity with no restrictions "

so,in the end, those linked studies aren't really as definitive as it seems from that post and the issue seems to be resumable with "we don't really know what gives male bodies the advantages clearly verifiable with statistical data,it might be just testosterone but we are not really completely sure if there are other factors, since we don't have enough datawe suggest that transgender atheletes shouldn't be discrimined based on incomplete data"

which is a fair assessment, but doesn't make anyone that thinks otherwise a transphobe.
I'm really no expert either which is why I rather referred to that post, I'm also still learning. So I can't comment on any details at your post. But keep in mind that while the research may be inconclusive, there's no science at all that would point to advantages. So why do you rather lean on your "gut" feeling than the scientific research which has been done. And also a reminder that Olympic games have allowed trans athletes for a long time now. I'm sure this will be researched even further and in future we will know more and can be definitive. Until that, I'll go with what we have now. IOC even relaxed the rules a bit in 2015 and surgery wasn't anymore required, also required time for hormone therapy was cut down by a year. And to be fair, physical differences already exist between cis athletes. I guess that's why combat sports have weight classes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
lol, going SJW? Anything more revealing than MK9 would be having the women fighting without any fucking clothes.

And that secret costume came pretty close to exactly that.

Yep.

And I'm not even against the uber revealing outfits as a whole -- I just wish the men received equally revealing outfits. Hell, my fiancee prefers to play in them. But to complain that they're somehow going "SJW" is embarrassing.

Basement dwellers.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Sandy Hook was motivated by alien theory" is opinion and conspiracy theory.

"Sandy Hook never existed" is denying reality

No, what makes is that it has been decades that trans people have been competing, the Olympic comitee trusting that 2 years is enough for 5 years and that Fallon Fox has a worst card than Rhonda herself

Edit: hormone therapy changes muscle mass, bone density, metabolism velocity, liver capacity, kidney capacity, fat distribution, skin, body oils, odor, body hair density, mammal gland development, general body strength, puberty bone shape and everything to morning sickness to taste. It is not just testosterone and homoglobin

Last edited:

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Ignoring everything else, it's really amazing just how bad she sounds as Sonya and how underwhelming her acting is:

I can't stop wondering who thought that she is a good choice to voice Sonya.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Right? Like how was this stunt casting worth the shitstorm? It's not like MK11 isn't gonna sell millions without Rousey

They're more than likely planning a lot of cross-promotion between MKXI and WWE. So expect Sonya to have a Rousey costume in-game for example. And expect to see wrestlers dressing up as MK characters at WWE PPV's and Smackdown/RAW. I'm not arguing that it was worth it. Just pointing out what's likely their logic behind the move.

Personally, if they were going to replace some of the older VO's I think it'd be awesome for them to get Cynthia Rothrock for Sonya since she was the original inspiration for the character.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ignoring everything else, it's really amazing just how bad she sounds as Sonya and how underwhelming her acting is:

I can't stop wondering who thought that she is a good choice to voice Sonya.

For some reason that NOBODY knows why, the Brazilian Version of MK10 had a brazilian rock singer doing the dub for Cassie Cage.
The whole dubbing was not very good because legend tells they had to translate without the video and the lenght of the senteces was all over the place when they saw the actual video .... and, considering the shitty circunstances, the rock singer did a better job =P

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I think you all are forgetting just how flat Tricia Helfer was as Sonya in MKX.

I can't exactly say that Rousey is worse at it at this point. It's probably just how they want the character.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is absolutely too much, you folks are wayyyyyy off the deep end if you want to kill her in effigy

Yea its getting kind of weird in here

She's said questionable/awful shit in the past but so has Joe Rogan and countless other talking heads and people associated with MMA.

Mortal Kombat ~ UFC ... it makes sense.

People getting excited to hatefuckkill her and bashing the MK11 team is a bit much.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where else to post this, but it seemed fitting that Colbert's band played the wrong game's theme music when Ronda Rousey was coming on for her talk show appearance lol.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
I don't have much opinion on her personal beliefs. If we dig deep enough, we'll find the vast majority of our heroes are unworthy nut jobs.

My problem with her always has been that Ronda Rousey couldn't play Ronda Rousey in the Entourage movie.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Not likely. She's just one character out of 25 or so. Best case scenario is Sonya isn't heavily featured in the campaign and nobody really uses her in multiplayer.
She is pretty heavy in the story mode and at first I was like oh her acting isn't too bad , but as it goes on you see how bad it is ha . It's really really bad and sticks out so much the more you hear it .

Some lines she says I'm just shaking my head at how bad her acting is .

I do use Sonya a lot and think her character is great . I bounce between her and skarlet . But I haven't faced many of those characters online at all .