• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Serious or not, she said it and was pushing for it.

She wouldn't last a second in the ring with him so why did she do the opposite when it came to a trans woman?

I think the fact you can't tell the difference between hype/good theater... Vs really wanting to fight someone is a problem.. Its like you tell a friend to grab you before you lunge at someone.. You don't want to fight but you want to make people think you would. There isn't a chance in hell she was serious about that... And I think thats a bigger problem as a whole... People saying stuff to be controversial vs showing their true beliefs. Alot of the venom in this thread seems misplaced.

The saudi thing... Sounds like she wanted a different culture to embrace females in sports.

The assault thing.. Sounds like she was trying to escape an ex-bf that on multiple attempts would not let her go. How is she called an abuser in that situation and not the victim? Any other woman and they would applaud her for escaping.

Sandyhook...if she believes that hoax bs then she's fucked up.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Because there is a huge difference between boxing and MMA. She actually thought her boxing skills were that good. There is no set testing yet for the UFC on how to handle Trans Athletes. Unlike the Olympics. So you can see why she would not be okay.

Lmao no she did not.. Pure theater... So you're thought process is she saw Connor McGregor get totally outmatched and said. Mmmm.. I want some of that lmao...

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Not to denigrate your point, but...

I find it funny that people are expecting Mortal Kombat to be politically correct, of all series.

I mean there is a long line between being trans phobic and believing a bunch of innocent kids being murdered was some false flag operation to a video game being a bit tryhard and edgy. Also I don't ever remember MK being politically incorrect outside of using gratuitous violence; I don't recall the series ever trying to make statements about politics before or if it did then never to the extent to which the RR business could be seen as being inline with the game's past history.

Sorry, this is ResetEra. You're not allowed such balanced opinions on matters. This is exactly the reason why I don't comment on these threads.

Do I agree with any of the things she's said? No. But is it okay to publicly rip the shit out out someone on an internet forum? No.
What even is this post, my dude? Like you removed the entire context of this thread and boiled it down to "People being mean". Like come on.....

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I understand what she means with the transformers issue. You can change sex, but the physique (the biology) still remains that gender. And men are stronger physically. So I understand that it can be a discussion point in the competitive sports sector.
And at one point she believed that she could defeat men too ...

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Not like they can even hid behind some 'best person for the job' rhetoric. She's a wooden performer. Lame move by a game and company that didn't need to do something like this to drum up interest.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind her being a bonus character (even as herself), but to change the appearance of Sonya so that she looks and sounds like Ronda? I'm not cool with that.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Lmao no she did not.. Pure theater... So you're thought process is she saw Connor McGregor get totally outmatched and said. Mmmm.. I want some of that lmao...
Again, she said it and was on the cover of BOXING magazine. This is before the whole Conner fight. Was it a giant PR at the time yes. But I wouldn't doubt Rousey, who was undefeated during that time and on top of that had a giant ego was most likely down to do it. But again, all assumptions. Like the person, I quoted said. Is the fact she said it. She was okay to say she would fight a male athlete but not a trans-woman.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I knew about Rousey's dumbass Sandy Hook comment so I wasn't really fucking with her after that, but I had no idea that she was transphobic. Would boycotting the game help, at least to raise awareness? I mean, either way, she already got paid.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I knew about Rousey's dumbass Sandy Hook comment so I wasn't really fucking with her after that, but I had no idea that she was transphobic. Would boycotting the game help, at least to raise awareness? I mean, either way, she already got paid.

Boycotting the game will only harm the developers, Ronda paycheck won't change if you boycott the game or not.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Boycotting the game will only harm the developers, Ronda paycheck won't change if you boycott the game or not.

No but it sends out a message to other publishers and anyone else who might want to associate themselves with her to think twice. It's less about harming WB and more about mitigating any potential harm in the future and compromising her future publicity and acting deals.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
No but it sends out a message to other publishers and anyone else who might want to associate themselves with her to think twice. It's less about harming WB and more about mitigating any potential harm in the future and compromising her future publicity and acting deals.

I think if we really want to send a message a big outlet should contact WB about Ronda, WB won't notice a couple of copies missing from total sales, but a Kotaku or IGN article will have way more exposure.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I think if we really want to send a message a big outlet should contact WB about Ronda, WB won't notice a couple of copies missing from total sales, but a Kotaku or IGN article will have way more exposure.

You say that like boycotting the game and having an outlet like Kotaku kick up a fuss are two mutually exclusive avenues. A boycott and some bad PR for WB can both be done and both send out the message to others that association with Rousey will result in negative consequences.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why people like Ronda Rousey try to come up with these conspiracies about Sandy Hook or 9/11 being orchestrated by the US government when there are actual massacres that have been confirmed to been committed by them such as No Gun Ri and My Lai.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think the fact you can't tell the difference between hype/good theater... Vs really wanting to fight someone is a problem.. Its like you tell a friend to grab you before you lunge at someone.. You don't want to fight but you want to make people think you would. There isn't a chance in hell she was serious about that... And I think thats a bigger problem as a whole... People saying stuff to be controversial vs showing their true beliefs. Alot of the venom in this thread seems misplaced.

The saudi thing... Sounds like she wanted a different culture to embrace females in sports.

The assault thing.. Sounds like she was trying to escape an ex-bf that on multiple attempts would not let her go. How is she called an abuser in that situation and not the victim? Any other woman and they would applaud her for escaping.

Sandyhook...if she believes that hoax bs then she's fucked up.

Ronda Rousey is not any other woman... she's an Olympic level Judo expert and a very skilled MMA fighter. It sounds like he was being stubborn and didn't want her to leave which obviously he's wrong for blocking her path but would it really be that hard for an Olympic level Judo expert to throw him or shove him aside, I see nothing there that warrants slapping him, punching him and kneeing him in the face. I've seen nothing in the report about him trying to hit her.

Came here to say this. I don't like her but I absolutely agree with her on this. And yeah, I also think adding her to a MK game is stupid.

Okay on one hand I see the controversy about trans people in competitive battle sports but the lines that we draw for what's fair in these types of things are kind of arbitrary. I mean there are weight classes but we don't separate people into different groups that have longer arms or those that are much taller both of which are big competitive advantages in fighting sports.

Last edited:

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't used the word "problematic"? Edit: I totally did.

The transgender fighter Rousey is talking about has fought and lost to other female fighters. None of them seemed to have an issue with it.

I think I'll trust science and researchers before I trust someone who believes Sandy Hook was a hoax, but you do you.

To be honest I didnt even know what that Sandy stuff was (school shooting according to wiki). As an european this probably flew above my head. Anyway, that was my opinion. Peace👍🏻

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
im more concerned about the fact that she totally makes sonya sound like garbage, her VO is just terrible, how can netherealm listen to that bullshit and thinks it better than previous actors?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This.
If you actually care about this stupid awful woman in MK, then tweet Netherealm about it, tweet WB. Let this know how unhappy you are.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Isn't it perfect then?

You can break her bones and rip her head off in glorious 4K!

Jesus christ, is this how the board is now? Athlete says something stupid and harmful and thats the most terrible thing in the world, but its OK to fantasize about torturing and killing a woman because she said something bad.....

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
im more concerned about the fact that she totally makes sonya sound like garbage, her VO is just terrible, how can netherealm listen to that bullshit and thinks it better than previous actors?

I will never understand when any game series replaces actors for a publicity stunt or trying to be fresh for the sake of it. It wasnt great when kojima did it and its not great when Ed Boon does it.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
is this really a line from the game?

thats fucking disgusting.

I will never understand when any game series replaces actors for a publicity stunt or trying to be fresh for the sake of it. It wasnt great when kojima did it and its not great when Ed Boon does it.

Ya the MGS one was odd like if
Venom was voiced by Kiefer and big boss by David it would of been great
no one bought MGS 5 because Hayter was out and Kiefer was in. And I don't think any one is going to buy this game because Ronda is doing a voice. Ronda just does not have a good acting voice at all. She is a petty good wrestler tho (wwe)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I didnt even know what that Sandy stuff was (school shooting according to wiki). As an european this probably flew above my head. Anyway, that was my opinion. Peace👍🏻

Being ignorant isn't an excuse. You have the Internet at your fingertips.

This would be like me going into a thread about World War I and being like "sorry haven't heard of the Battle of Verdun but here's my opinion anyway." The severity of what Sandy Hook was is part of the reason so many people have such a strong reaction to her.

Also, Sandy Hook wasn't just a school shooting. Sandy Hook was a school shooting of toddlers where America decided that not even children get the benefit of gun control.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of celebrities out there. If they really needed to have someone famous as one of the voices to promote the game to their followers or whatever, there's no shortage of choices. That being the case, that they went for someone who supports Sandy Hook conspiracy theories and transphobic garbage is completely unnecessary, completely avoidable, and thus also completely indefensible to me. That's a very easy, low bar to clear, to find someone who isn't that completely garbage, and that they couldn't even do that much and went for her of all people anyway is not something I would in any way feel comfortable defending.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Being ignorant isn't an excuse. You have the Internet at your fingertips.

This would be like me going into a thread about World War I and being like "sorry haven't heard of the Battle of Verdun but here's my opinion anyway." The severity of what Sandy Hook was is part of the reason so many people have such a strong reaction to her.

Also, Sandy Hook wasn't just a school shooting. Sandy Hook was a school shooting of toddlers where America decided that not even children get the benefit of gun control.

Not only that but it was all over the European news media. This was international news that had its aftermath analysed in depth long after the event.

Lots of celebrities out there. If they really needed to have someone famous as one of the voices to promote the game to their followers or whatever, there's no shortage of choices. That being the case, that they went for someone who supports Sandy Hook conspiracy theories and transphobic garbage is completely unnecessary, completely avoidable, and thus also completely indefensible to me. That's a very easy, low bar to clear, to find someone who isn't that completely garbage, and that they couldn't even do that much and went for her of all people anyway is not something I would in any way feel comfortable defending.

It makes you wonder what the culture at NRS is like given they plumped for her. Either they are sympathetic to her views or they just don't care, and I am not sure which is worse.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I don't much about MMA or whatever the fuck its name is but most of their fighters are fucking dumbasses. She is no different. I don't understand why Nether would put her in the game.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Shit, I didn't know she was a Sandy Hook truther. That's horrible.

I didn't get the transphobe part, is that because she thought Fallon Fox shouldn't be allowed to compete in MMA or something different?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

IMO there's only one way they'll learn. Wouldn't be surprised if she's getting royalties.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the worst part about it is that she's just not a good VA. The trash she spews on her social media circles is bad and it reflects bad on the product and the publishers/people who decided to hire her, but it shouldn't be the only gauge with which to judge the work of a team of hundreds of people.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think the worst part about it is that she's just not a good VA. The trash she spews on her social media circles is bad and it reflects bad on the product and the publishers/people who decided to hire her, but it shouldn't be the only gauge with which to judge the work of a team of hundreds of people.
It's not used to judge the game, game can and probably will be good on other merits. It's definitely a valid reason for not supporting it though. Everyone has their own limit why they might not play something. I find it bit odd how it's often sociopolitical issues which aren't accepted as reason to not like or play something. "I don't like the artstyle, so I wont be playing it" or "skipping because of microtransactions" isn't usually received with similar backlash from others. Even though the product shouldn't be judged just by these two things either. There's more to game than MTX and artstyle, hell or budget since many people simply refuse to play indies. I'm not a person who usually boycots games and I'm also interested in this one. But similarly I found it very odd how hard people were fighting against others boycotting Red Dead for the working conditions or people deleting their GOG accounts for the tweets.

And don't get me wrong, not saying that you are against people who don't want to support this game over inclusion of Rousey. You just reminded me of something I've noticed even before. Or comparing the massive backlash about Mass Effect 3 story, to many people being incredibly dismissive of the AC:Odyssey DLC story fuck up because it was about sexual identity. The latter was definitely a worse fuck up because of parallels to real life issues. It wasn't just a "bad story". But ME3 never really fully recovered from it's disappointing ending. The backlash was also much more hostile and agressive. Hell even ME Andromeda led to death and rape threats. I doubt this has happened around AC Odyssey.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sandy Hook conspiracy will be part of main storyline and it turns out Shang Tsung was behind it all.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
As a parent, it angers me to no end when someone comes out claiming 100% that Sandy Hook was a hoax. I live in NY and friends of mine from Connecticut are neighbors with parents that lost kids in that tragedy. Even if it was a hoax (it wasn't), do you know for sure? Is it worth insulting the families that lost their loved ones in that horrible massacre? Fuck you if you think it's fake and screw Ronda Rousey. I can live without an MK game.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I see. I'm not gonna lie, this will be a heartbreaking decision for me to make because I enjoy the MK games and she constitutes a small fraction of it. But, what's right is right.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Ronday Rousey is incredibly popular amongst people regardless of her views, makes sense they went in this direction. The vast majority of people dont care about her personal ethics, they just know she was a ufc fighter.

I'd say it's a lot more likely that the vast majority don't KNOW about her personal ethics, period. It's entirely possible NRS didn't know either. Hell, I used to follow UFC religiously and all I knew about her was that she used to be good at arm barring people into submission and then failed miserably at trying to punch people.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
She's transphobic for saying that fallon fox has an unfair advantage? A grown man soldier who had a sex change and now straight up mauls women in cagefighting? That is ridiculous....

I agree with everything else though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She's transphobic for saying that fallon fox has an unfair advantage? A grown man soldier who had a sex change and now straight up mauls women in cagefighting? That is ridiculous....

I agree with everything else though.

Quoting from Fox and actual doctors...
"I'm actually at a disadvantage," Fox said on a recent edition of Inside MMA. "Before the surgery, I started on hormone replacement surgery, back in 2002, 2003."
She continues the hormone treatments to this day.
"I have to. If I don't take estrogen hormone replacement therapy, I can get osteoporosis," she continued. "So any of the women I'm competing against, my testosterone levels are drastically lower than theirs; it's almost nothing."
Dr. Marci Bowers, a gender reassignment surgeon who has also undergone the procedure, concurred.
"If you measure (Fox's) endurance and her strength, it's actually that of a comparable woman of the same age," Bowers told Inside MMA. "What happens is after surgery patients actually regress in that their bone density drops to what a comparable woman of her size would be.
"When you test her, she's gonna come out with low testosterone levels and muscle mass that is remarkably similar to her counterparts."

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting from Fox and actual doctors...

And Dr. Joanna Harper:

"transgender women who go through puberty as males do have advantages that cannot be eliminated completely through hormone therapy.

'It reduces muscle mass, but not to typical female averages," she said. "On average, transgender women are taller, bigger and stronger. For many sports, including volleyball, these are advantages.'

But, she added, they also have disadvantages. The main one is they maintain their typically larger frames, but with reduced muscle mass and aerobic capacity."

My point being I don't think the debate is completely settled, and it's a little more of an issue in a combat sport.

Also, if you're going to include Fallon Fox's perspective you should include someone she fought.

Tamikka Brents: "I've fought a lot of women and have never felt the strength that I felt in a fight as I did that night. I can't answer whether it's because she was born a man or not because I'm not a doctor. I can only say, I've never felt so overpowered ever in my life and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right. Her grip was different, I could usually move around in the clinch against other females but couldn't move at all in Fox's clinch..."

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's almost like someone should use the internet that they have to look up what the background of everything is before they decide to jump in and comment on such a touchy subject. Especially if they have enough time to write an opinion of something they apparently don't even know much about.