• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible actress, terrible fighter, and a terrible person. While I admit to no longer having any real interest in Mortal Kombat as a franchise, WB Games and NRS working with Sandy Hook truther gutter trash guarantees that won't be changing.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
This just sucks all round. Even if you ignore the abhorrent shite she's spouted (you shouldn't, btw), nothing she's been in convinces that she's anything close to a decent actress. Even the star power argument holds less merit. At the height of her dominance, sure, but I can't see a huge amount of people drawn over that weren't already going to have heard/been interested in Mortal Kombat anyway.

Not a great move, NetherRealm, imo.

The only way NRS can make amends is by adding Becky Lynch in the game.
I definitely wouldn't mind that though.

tenor.gif

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
"Conspiratorial stances" is indeed a form of opinion.

And yes, disgusting - no doubt. I'm absolutely not defending her "stances".

But i fail to see why she shouldn't be allowed to voice a fictional character.
It's the age old debate of whether supporting a piece of media that "endorses" (Because anything other than boycotting is giving a platform) a person with problematic views on aspects of society is acceptable. Art vs Artist.

Some people will boycott a game entirely because of a single voice performance no matter how trivial (see Jontron/A Hat In Time controversy), other people say that as long as it doesn't affect the media itself it's fine.

It all depends on where you lie. I for one don't see the point in personally getting worked up over a voice performance. If it's in the game and I think it's a good performance then I'll think better of the game. If it's terrible I'll think worse of the game. The fact that it's Ronda Rousey doesn't bother me one way or the other because imo there's bad stuff everywhere, it's impossible to avoid. As long as the game itself isn't actively including Ronda's views in the game it couldn't affect me less. But I also completely understand the other side of the coin where the friend of my enemy is my enemy. If you're not doing everything you can to not endorse hate speech then you're effectively endorsing it. I don't agree with the sentiment but I understand it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I had no clue about any of that stuff in OP. Only know of her cause she was a popular female fighter. Was wondering why chat was getting mad about her.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
She's not even close to the most notable female MMA fighter at the moment. That would probably be Cyborg who, up until her loss last month, had won 20 straight matches.
In the fighting crowd Cyborg is, but to people in general Ronda is more notable. Cyborg has 203k followers on Twitter while Ronda has 3.6 million.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Relativising dangerous conspiracy theories, disruptive behaviour in a sensitive discussion
Saying Sandy Hook is a conspiracy isn't an "opinion" or "belief"

It's just a gross lie

Just like "the earth is flat" isn't an opinion or belief. It's a quantifiable lie.

I can agree it from my own point of view, that it's bullshit and lies, and damaging on many levels.

But that does not take away the fact that its an opinion or belief from the one who "has" it.

Us calling it lies and stuff is subjective interpretations of another persons opinions/beliefs.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the age old debate of whether supporting a piece of media that "endorses" (Because anything other than boycotting is giving a platform) a person with problematic views on aspects of society is acceptable. Art vs Artist.

Some people will boycott a game entirely because of a single voice performance no matter how trivial (see Jontron/A Hat In Time controversy), other people say that as long as it doesn't affect the media itself it's fine.

It all depends on where you lie. I for one don't see the point in personally getting worked up over a voice performance. If it's in the game and I think it's a good performance then I'll think better of the game. If it's terrible I'll think worse of the game. The fact that it's Ronda Rousey doesn't bother me one way or the other because imo there's bad stuff everywhere, it's impossible to avoid. As long as the game itself isn't actively including Ronda's views in the game it couldn't affect me less. But I also completely understand the other side of the coin where the friend of my enemy is my enemy. If you're not doing everything you can to not endorse hate speech then you're effectively endorsing it. I don't agree with the sentiment but I understand it.

It's not impossible to avoid. There is infinite entertainment out there that doesn't trot out known truthers or transphobes to be the face of their game.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can agree it from my own point of view, that it's bullshit and lies, and damaging on many levels.

But that does not take away the fact that its an opinion or belief from the one who "has" it.

Us calling it lies and stuff is subjective interpretations of another persons opinions/beliefs.

The truth is not a "subjective interpretation"

Just no

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

There is nothing subjective about calling people who deny facts liars.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Even if we succumb to pedantry, not all opinions are created equal.

"Red's a good color" vs "These children never got murdered and thus gun control isn't important"

And even then, the more reach and followers a person has, the more their opinions spread. People take ACTIONS based on their opinions. So using the reach of Mortal Kombat to amplify the views of Ronda Rousey is irresponsible, dangerous, and scummy as hell.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017

Shit like Sandy Hook denial and flat earth are demomstratable lies that is proven with FACTUAL evidence, with the former being actively harmful. Not sure why you're so quick to downplay this.

I don't think any American dev or publisher could get away with half the stuff the Japanese do.

Cool. Beyond you response to the situation regarding James Wood, I really don't care. It's not relevant to the discussion.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

So if someone says "minorities are dangerous animals", we're supposed to brush that off as "an interpretation"

We're talking about dead kids, and she's chalking it up to a government conspiracy. Parents of these kids were threatened and harassed by people saying their dead child was nothing but a fabrication.

Are you being fucking real right now?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's disappointing because NR did a great job improving their representation with their last MK and I have to imagine they could have got a better voice actor who's similarly as popular as Ronda for the same price. Though I imagine their might be some kind of bigger contract with the WWE given they've worked together in the past.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive and disruptive behaviour in a sensitive discussion
She's worse than Satan!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahahahaha if you think NR is going to address something about this.
There will be no uproar because Nobody outside this forum gives a single solitary shit about her beliefs.
And if you do nothing that'll continue.

Raising a stink is all people can do. It caught Ubisoft's attention. It doesn't hurt to try.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not impossible to avoid. There is infinite entertainment out there that doesn't trot out known truthers or transphobes to be the face of their game.
Not just entertainment mate. There are dozens of shady companies if not more that create products that you more than likely use every day without knowing how terrible some of their actions are. Everywhere means everywhere.

But like I said, in my opinion having x person as a voice in a game doesn't endorse the views of x person. But if it was a director of a movie I would have a different view since it's the creative direction of the entire piece and you can't help but view it in the lens of the bigoted views. It all depends on where you draw the line.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

just fucking stop

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know transphobia and Sandy Hook were only opinions, like saying "I like tomato on a burger."

Instead of, y'know, hateful, disgusting, and outright conspiratorial stances that actively endanger peoples' lives.

You know what else endangers peoples lives? Letting someone who went through puberty with testosterone (meaning a larger frame, greater bone density, larger skull / hand / feet size and stronger grip than a woman), strike a woman in the head with their fists, elbows, knees and feet in MMA (or any other combat sport).

My partner is a trans woman and I hate Rousey for what it's worth but the argument that trans woman should be allowed to fight cis gender woman is absurd.

Her Sandy Hook stuff is also disgusting.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

What?

That's not how facts work. A person's wrong belief is not "right" regardless of how strongly they hold it. The Sandy Hook Massacre is a tragedy that occurred. Anyone that refuses to believe that it did happen is not "right." That isn't a matter of opinion. That's a matter of a person that refuses to believe reality in favor of their own petty, nonsensical, hateful narrative that is in no way factual, nor should such conspiratorial views be supported.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Understanding why Woods is in KH3 doesn't make it suck that much less. I'm still going to roll my eyes and complain about it on Twitter.

But I was definitely not feeling good about MK11 as they repeatedly held up Rousey to the audience to celebrate her. Like, goddamn, there's literally no way to not know these things if you're hiring her, you just don't care. That's fine, I guess, but I don't have to like it and I'll still complain about it.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Damn that domestic abuse story never heard of that one before was already aware of the other shitty things she did dont know how I missed that. I never heard of the abuser going into such details imagine what she left out.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm realizing just how upset I am by this. Folks'll probably find this strange but Mortal Kombat has always been a really important series to me. It's the game my family and I would bond over during holidays, bizarre as that seems. UMK3 is one of my favorite games of all time for all the sentiment I have attached to it. And they didn't just make a bad casting decision with this. Making a new character and casting Rousey in that roll would suck and I'd still probably skip the entry. But they made her Sonya. They ruined a character that, for however small it is, has been a piece of my life.

I'm actually kinda sad as opposed to my usual annoyance at shit like this.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's seriously disappointing and a part of me wants to believe it's only WB calling the shots about that kinda stuff and not NRS, especially considering how better they're getting at female representation in general. It's not gonna stop me from buying the game because I love MK too much and I'm too spineless to boycott it over a single VA, but I fully understand anyone who does.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
So can someone explain the saudi apologist stuff? From what i glanced at she was hoping there would be a demand to see women in that sport in that country.. Did i miss something?

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Also, it would be very simple for SE to just stop using Hades. Who gives a fuck about Hercules, they've retread that some ground in every single KH game. There's plenty of Disney villians and heroes to choose from.

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing because NR did a great job improving their representation with their last MK and I have to imagine they could have got a better voice actor who's similarly as popular as Ronda for the same price. Though I imagine their might be some kind of bigger contract with the WWE given they've worked together in the past.
I'm telling you. WWE Immortals DLC. We'll get The Animal Dave Batista. We'll get the god of thunder Bork.

NpN0E1y.jpg

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
She hasn't done anything notable since 2016 and her current biggest stake is being the second most popular woman during WWE's biggest fall in pop culture relevance.

I mean, she was a huge star, and if this was 2015 you'd have an argument her celebrity outweighs her negatives. But I doubt most casual fans would care outside of "Oh, that's cool. I remember her. Doesn't she fake fight now?"

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissive and disruptive behaviour in a sensitive topic
Some of the replies in this thread is worse than the shit ya'll are upset with her over.

You guys are at an 11 and need to bring it down to a 5. It's cool to disagree with someone's views or not want them representing a character you love but jesus fuck go take a break from the net for a day or two.

Ronda fits the mold for Sonya. That's my opinion. Deal with it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I never looked into Rousey because I had no interest but god damn those links are heinous. Found out last month that RuPaul is a racist and a TERF and now this. Damn.

Also, it would be very simple for SE to just stop using Hades. Who gives a fuck about Hercules, they've retread that some ground in every single KH game. There's plenty of Disney villians and heroes to choose from.
It would be, if they actually cared about what Woods does, they don't.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor decision by NRS/WB and those who say "bu- bu- sales!" are completely missing the point and no clue what this means in the long-term.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Some of the replies in this thread is worse than the shit ya'll are upset with her over.

You guys are at an 11 and need to bring it down to a 5. It's cool to disagree with someone's views or not want them representing a character you love but jesus fuck go take a break from the net for a day or two.

"some of the replies in this thread are worse than a person who denies children were murdered in cold blood and shares her dangerous views with millions"

hell yeah dude

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
What?

That's not how facts work. A person's wrong belief is not "right" regardless of how strongly they hold it. The Sandy Hook Massacre is a tragedy that occurred. Anyone that refuses to believe that it did happen is not "right." That isn't a matter of opinion. That's a matter of a person that refuses to believe reality in favor of their own petty, nonsensical, hateful narrative that is in no way factual, nor should such conspiratorial views be supported.

Of course!

I do not endorse her petty, nonsensical, hateful, views at any levels!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

is sonya also a terrible actor in the mk universe?