• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

As pointed out in the above tweet, which was retweeted today, Rousey is a pretty damn problematic person on a number of different topics. I'm personally very disappointed that WB and/or NRS would make the decision to put her in the game as Sonya and thought it was worth a more focused discussion outside of the larger MK11 threads.

A couple snippets from the articles linked in his tweet:

Fox, who became the first openly transgender athlete in the history of MMA when she came out last year, has won 5 of her past 6 matches.

However, Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey says she won't take on Fox, because she doesn't think there is an "undo button" on gender.

Rousey said: "In Fallon Fox's case, I think she does have an unfair advantage.

"It's a case by case scenario thing. I've tried to research it a lot.

"I feel like if you go through puberty as a man it's something that you can't really reverse. You can't just reverse that, there's no undo button on that.

On Tuesday, she reposted a controversial video from the YouTube channel ThinkOutsideTheTV, which highlighted a conspiracy theory about the [Sandy Hook] shooting. In the post, Rousey called it an "extremely interesting, and must-watch" video.

The post was met with overwhelming anger and criticism from the general public. In an attempt to douse the flames, Rousey deleted the video and stated in a follow-up post that "asking questions and doing research is more patriotic than blindly accepting what you're told."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ronday Rousey is incredibly popular amongst people regardless of her views, makes sense they went in this direction. The vast majority of people dont care about her personal ethics, they just know she was a ufc fighter.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was initially disappointed because I liked the original VA, but this is much worse.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Voorhees murdered teenagers but at least he never retweeted fucking Sandy Hook truther bullshit with a follow up non-apology.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Bad joke incoming:
At least we can "kill" her character in MK11 as many time as needed to take out our anger against her.

TOO Much??

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Sad opinions on her part indeed. But not a reason not to hire her for something not connected to opinions.

This kind of stuff is troublesome.
In theory. How would people decide wether to support someone hired, if they had no "reseachable presence" at all?

Sure, i respect those who will take stance against it, but i just needed to state my concerns about the idea of someone not being eligable for existence for having shady opinions.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
still not sure if i buy mk11. the german version will have the german voices (which were fantastic in mkx), so i dont have to deal with her. but man, fuck wb and neatherealm for casting her in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This too. Even ignoring these issues, her lines in the footage today sounded terrible.
I'm also sad that Patrick Seitz was replaced as Scorpion. But if the rumors are true that Kevin Conroy will be the new voice of Scorpion, I wouldn't be 100% opposed to the change since I like Kevin Conroy as an actor.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sad opinions on her part indeed. But not a reason not to hire her for something not connected to opinions.

In theory. How would people decide wether to support someone hired, if they had no "reseachable presence" at all?

Sure, i respect those who will take stance against it, but i just needed to state my concerns about the idea of someone not being eligable for existence for having shady opinions.

Transphobia and spreading factually incorrect conspiracy theories about murdered children are not "opinions."

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Can the views of this ronda rousey ( i don't know her at all) matter in a game where you can melt faces, eat brains, broke every bone in the body, split in two the human dody and many more horrible things?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

I didn't know transphobia and Sandy Hook were only opinions, like saying "I like tomato on a burger."

Instead of, y'know, hateful, disgusting, and outright conspiratorial stances that actively endanger peoples' lives.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Videogame community is certainly something lol. How is that i never saw such a thread about her being a HUGE deal in wwe for a year, but suddenly she's voicing a videogame adaptation character and this is a really important concern. Or maybe this tells something about the wrestling community!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm out.

Ruined a perfectly great character they have.

Yep. MK was perfectly fine without these 'celebrity' cameos, but they picked the wrongest one this time.

Videogame community is certainly something lol. How is that i never saw such a thread about her being a HUGE deal in wwe for a year, but suddenly she's voicing a videogame adaptation character and this is a really important concern. Or maybe this tells something about the wrestling community!

The WWE (the organization) is pretty terrible too.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is absolutely too much, you folks are wayyyyyy off the deep end if you want to kill her in effigy
I'm not familiar with Mortal Kombat Chars or how WBs plans are with her in MK. But if she is a playable char... well it's Mortal Kombat. It's about the over the top gore.
And no, I really don't want her in the game in the first place (due to the shit she said), but the majority won't care. They didn't care in UFC and in WWE they don't care neither. And I don't see WB doing anything about it

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible person and dreadful voice actor.

Why they gotta do a character like Sonya a disservice.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with Mortal Kombat Chars or how WBs plans are with her in MK. But if she is a playable char... well it's Mortal Kombat. It's about the over the top gore.
And no, I really don't want her in the game in the first place (due to the shit she said), but the majority won't care. They didn't care in UFC and in WWE they don't care neither. And I don't see WB doing anything about it
She's voicing Sonya, that's all.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
There are way more people who see her name as having celebrity value than there are who care about or even know all the terrible shit she has said and believes.

Does she have celebrity value though?

I never heard of her before she got beat hard at UFC, then she showed she is a terrible actress and if you don't care about WWE she means nothing now either.

If you don't care about UFC or WWE all Ronda Rousey is is a bad actress.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I wish MK would get away from these weird guest characters entirely, they just pull me out of an already hard to get into universe.

But yeah RR especially... poor form, on top of being weird.

EDIT: oops sorry I thought RR herself was gonna be in it lol

Oct 27, 2017
They ruined a fan favourite. Sonya is one of the original characters and they fucking ruined her.
God damn, the more I remember this the more pissed I get.