• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the situation. I just moved into an apartment with two roommates (actually three, one is letting his girlfriend live here for free, but that's not relevant to THIS issue). The other two are the "main" roommates who are on the lease. I am not. Naturally, I got the smallest room.

At night when the heat is on there is an unbearable tapping noise from the heating pipe. I think this setup is called "forced air." I read it might be something about the pipes expanding when they get hot or something, IDK. The noise is constant throughout the night at irregular intervals and varying degrees of volume. This noise is only heard in my room. By the way, my room is also by far the hottest room in the apartment. For some reason, all of the heat comes here.

I am a pretty light sleeper. Witthout exaggeration there have been multiple nights (I've only been here a month) that I have not slept. I work an 8 hour job and wake up at 6:30. I need to sleep.

So here's my thinking:

Am I unreasonable for thinking that the problem isn't with me, but with my roommates? As far as I'm concerned they have so many options to handle this situation.

1. We sleep with the heat off at night so I can sleep. They just use extra blankets because they are very cold-phobic.
2. One of them offers to switch rooms with me. They all prefer the heat and I prefer the cold anyway.
3. They /really/ get on the landlord's ass about fixing it. They say they've put in work orders, but the guy hasn't done anything. IMO we should be calling him every hour of every day including weekends until he fixes it. I am not sure about personally calling because of my lease-less situation.

On the other hand, these are what I consider to be my options.

1. I sleep with earplugs. I've tried this. Not only do they not work, but they are also painful to me. I have issues with wax buildup and they have already made it much worse.
2. I sleep on the couch in the living room. But then why the fuck am I paying rent here?
3. I move out. Surely this is the most destructive option, if going by Model UN terms.

Any advice? What is reasonable here?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a little bit.

Just try calling yourself. If it is that bad and they don't fix it move out.

You can't ask to turn the heat off at night or switch rooms. Very unreasonable.

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, bad situation but you are not entitled to them switching rooms or turning off heat. Find a new place

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Short of asking them to ride the landlord, I don't think you have many options.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Having lived in old buildings that problem isn't going to get fixed. Moving out is actually your best option if earplugs and sleepbuds with whitenoise don't work. For your roommates it is probably easier to replace you than modify their lives in any meaningful way.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why don't you really get on the landlord's ass about fixing the pipe if it keeps waking you up?

Doesn't seem like you have many options since you're not on the lease. Move out and into a soundproof apartment.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having lived in old buildings that problem isn't going to get fixed. Moving out is actually your best option if earplugs and sleepbuds with whitenoise don't work. For your roommates it is probably easier to replace you than modify their lives in any meaningful way.

This is a brand new building, by the way. It's basically still unfinished is how new it is.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
The one option you don't want to take is your only real option if the heating noise is a big problem for you.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Maybe ask them to turn the heat down? it is a compromise but it may help with the creaking pipes and will help the room not be so hot. I mean you live there too and pay rent so they should be able to compromise with you. But I agree it is unreasonable to ask them to turn it all the way off.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is a brand new building, by the way. It's basically still unfinished is how new it is.

Oh, yea in that case unless the contractor was inept you shouldn't be having that problem.

Are you living in a legal bedroom? Or is it one of those things where the other roommates converted a sunroom and are renting it out. If the latter they might ahve just cut corners with the heat but if you're in a proper bedroom that is a known problem with forced hot air and there are ways to prevent it during construction.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Propose your options, offer to pay more for the bigger room, and if it doesn't pan out then move. But don't use that as an ultimatum. Just chalk it up to an unfortunate situation and be an adult about it. You not being on the lease is the silver lining here.

Oct 27, 2017
I would just figure out a way to sleep and not bother with any of these headaches. Use better earplugs or something.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Knocking pipes with forced hot air or pressure water/steam (like radiators) is normal and turning the heat off at night is not really an option. Even if you set the heat to 56 or something, the heat will come on in the winter when it's cold, and the knocking will return.

You can try to complain about it but the landlord isn't going to fix it... Knocking pipes in old forced hot air or steam houses is so common. I'm a very light sleeper but I'm mostly immune to it because my parents house had it when I was a kid so I've come to sort of associate knocking pipes with a sense of comfort or warmth and I sleep through it.

You will get used to it. Same as how when you live with someone else and their alarm goes off at 530 and you don't need to get up till 630, you eventually drown it out and sleep through it.

I'd suggest getting a loud fan, giving it time to get used to it, or moving out

Edit

I'm surprised it's a new building... Forced hot water is less common in new construction because it's more prone to leaks, damage, etc than forced hot air through open vents. If the roommates have no tolerance for your plight I'd move out and find somewhere else if you can't get used to it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Just get a vent cover and block most of it. It won't be great for noise, but it will help with the hot air.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Propose your options, offer to pay more for the bigger room, and if it doesn't pan out then move. But don't use that as an ultimatum. Just chalk it up to an unfortunate situation and be an adult about it. You not being on the lease is the silver lining here.

We split the rent three ways evenly already.

They gave me the option to either be on the lease or not. I decided not to in case this job didn't work out. I can sign it at any time. What would doing that reasonably give me in terms of options?

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Am I unreasonable for thinking that the problem isn't with me, but with my roommates? As far as I'm concerned they have so many options to handle this situation.
Yeah thats unreasonable. They're not obliged to do anything for you, though it would be nice if they did.

If you sleep on your back, you could try over-the-ear muffs.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We split the rent three ways evenly already.

They gave me the option to either be on the lease or not. I decided not to in case this job didn't work out. I can sign it at any time. What would doing that reasonably give me in terms of options?

You can leave without having to go through the process of breaking the lease. Basically you legally have a leg up to leave whenever you want.

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried white noise? I have a machine and always use it. You can try an app on your phone; while not exactly the same, it's a similar effect.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Short of asking them to ride the landlord, I don't think you have many options.
A funny grammar error you made. =P

On the issue:
I personally would contact the landlord myself and try to solve the issue. What kind of heater is the flat using? It could be that there is air in the heatpipes because older heaters had to be "aired" out each year to function at maximum efficiency.
Sleeping with heat is also generally bad for your health so I agree with you preferring the cold. If they want to switch without any drawbacks on your side, why not take it? Otherwise talk to them and contact the landlord.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
It depends on the state, but in general being on the lease isn't going to change much, and I'm not understanding why you would want to obligate yourself further to these people. Leaving is your best option - heat in many apartments makes a similar noise and is difficult to fix, and it being hot at night, while uncomfortable, isn't the sort of thing that makes the place unlivable and your landlord is not responsible for making the heat silent. Why bother with all these other options when you can leave? It didn't work out.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried to isolate where the tapping sound is coming from in the pipe? Also, if it's actually a pipe and not a duct, it probably isn't forced air or you aren't talking about a heat duct but a water pipe or gas line or something else.

Have you tried wrapping some padding around the pipe to see if you can stop the sound?

Also with earplugs how many different kinds of earplugs have you tried? Maybe there's some that would work for you. Next thing you could do is actually just impersonate one of your roommates and just go into the landlords office and ask if they could please send someone out to take a look.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You're not even supposed to legally let the heat drop below 65 or so in the winter, it's bad for the pipes.

You should open a window or move out.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Explain your situation and try to change rooms with one of them.

If that fails, the ear plugs sound alright.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not your roommates fault or problem, especially if you are not on the lease. Move out or deal with it (however you can).

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a fellow light sleeper and a self-diagnosed misophonic, I know exactly what you're going through.

If you're not on the lease and don't have any other impediments to you moving, then I would just move out. If fixing the issue involves tearing up a wall, then realistically, maintenance isn't going to do that. Clicking pipes are a pretty common thing, so they'll probably tell you to just suck it up.

If moving out is not an option, then you can try buying a white noise machine. But you said you use a heavy fan already, so I'm not sure if that'll help that much, since it's essentially the same thing.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just get the landlord to fix it. If you're on friendly terms with your housemates maybe ask them to text/emai/call him as well to make it look more like a central house issue.

I've had similar issues before and managed to convince my entire house to threaten not to pay the next month's rent. It was fixed within 48 hours.

Being able to sleep is a necessity so it needs to be repaired ASAP.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the title of this thread Roommate issues when your roommates have nothing to do with your issues.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
...have you actually talked to them about turning down the heat at night or switching rooms yet?

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
Probably have air trapped in the radiators. They should have a little bleed valve to let the air out and should take care of the knocking.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I mean, I understand that you pay rent and do, in some capacity, have a say in the goings-on in the apartment, but this sounds like a problem you have to handle yourself. It's not bothering anyone else, unfortunately, so it's up to you to talk to the landlord or move out. It's not your roommates' job to accommodate you or make sure you're comfortable.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you turn off at night and turn on in morning they will not freeze.

Even if going away for weeks setting it to a 5°C anti-chill will stop freezing.

That's not exactly true. It depends on several factors, including pipe placement (such as if they're placed on exterior walls). My master bathroom pipes froze (older home) when I turned down the heat to like 64 at night during one of those polar vortexes.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Yup. You can walk off at any time and all you're out is the cost/hassle of the move.

CRYPTFLOWERS

Nov 2, 2017
Why is the title of this thread Roommate issues when your roommates have nothing to do with your issues.

This. It's one thing to be frustrated by living in a room with a ticking sound, but to blame your roommates for the ticking(!) because they use heat in the winter(!) seems indicative of something unhealthy.

Just get a white noise machine. They're amazing. Only problem is becoming dependent on it to sleep, but yeah, still worth it. They're less than 50 bucks on Amazon.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you paying the same for a worse room than them? More with one of them having his gf there. Move out.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not exactly true. It depends on several factors, including pipe placement (such as if they're placed on exterior walls). My master bathroom pipes froze (older home) when I turned down the heat to like 64 at night during one of those polar vortexes.
Exterior walls? Wow, in UK they all internal in floors and ceilings.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We called again and maintenance people are here now.