• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was found in the "Art of Super Mario Oddysey" book:

DoLpvUyU4AAbk8a.jpg:large

Why wasn't this in the game? She looks amazing!

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I want to say it might make the wedding plot more complicated even though there is no relationship going on between her and the rest of the Mario crew.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Did everyone know she was left-handed or is this new lore (or is it non-canon because it wasn't used)?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
3D Mario kind of felt like it was living in Galaxy's shadow before Odyssey, I think leaving Rosalina out of Odyssey was part of moving past that and being it's own thing.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
She was probably supposed to appear in a world that couldn't make it into the final game since I don't see her fitting in any of the worlds that we have in Odyssey. I hope we'll see her in the sequel, this design is very good, I love her.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the Breath of the Wild's little people, Metallica Ganondorf, and UFOs, Nintendo should make a "lost tales" series of short games with all these wild concepts. Spin it like how DC comics had "imaginary stories" comics.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Rosalina in casual realistic clothes seems offputting, but she should have gotten at least a cameo.

Looks like she might basically be at daisy and waluigi tier now.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since she has a guitar, I wonder if perhaps the New Donk band was supposed to have legacy characters alongside Pauline, rather than just the generic musicians in the final game.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This was found in the "Art of Super Mario Oddysey" book:

DoLpvUyU4AAbk8a.jpg:large

Why wasn't this in the game? She looks amazing!

I'm quoting this just so people can look at this again further down the page. Because honestly wow — I LOVE this take on Rosalina. She's such a great character, one of the very few in the Mario series with any sort of backstory or depth, and she's someone who really ought to be appearing more.

Galaxy is 10 years old. It deserves so much more respect. The games should be on Switch in HD immediately, and Rosalina ought to be making more appearances. Particularly with the star / cross earrings, and the emo guitar look.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
She was probably supposed to appear in a world that couldn't make it into the final game since I don't see her fitting in any of the worlds that we have in Odyssey. I hope we'll see her in the sequel, this design is very good, I love her.
this is a weird leap when the casual street clothes and guitar evoke the getting the band together mission in new donk

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Since she has a guitar, I wonder if perhaps the New Donk band was supposed to have legacy characters alongside Pauline, rather than just the generic musicians in the final game.

I don't know if this was the idea, but what could've been potentially really cool is it were an all-girl band of Pauline, Rosalina, Daisy, and Toadette on drums.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno. She could have been a travelling musician looking for inspiration or something. Weren't there little challenges focused on collecting musical notes before the time ran out? Maybe they were originally meant to involve her somehow.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure she's been demoted to secondary cast like Daisy and Waluigi.

Nah. She's been in 3 of the 5 3D marios since Galaxy, including being playable in 3D world, and had a small cameo (as one of the sprites) in Odyssey. Daisy and Waluigi fans could only dream of that amount of representation in the actual games, and she was obviously considered for more of a appearance in Odyssey too.

Rosalina in casual realistic clothes seems offputting, but she should have gotten at least a cameo.

Looks like she might basically be at daisy and waluigi tier now.

You miss one game in a row and you're at waluigi tier? lol. Luigi wasn't even in the base game, for how much they cut back the use of existing mario characters.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
this is a weird leap when the casual street clothes and guitar evoke the getting the band together mission in new donk
Not really since New Donk band definitely don't have casual clothes and don't use acoustic guitar. But yeah, we can indeed think it could have been for this mission, way before the New Donk Band was even a thing. But imo this design was probably done way before that missions were already planned. My first thought was just that New Donk already had it's Mario character, Pauline, so they would save Rosalina to be the star of another country. But yeah, hard to know. Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not really since New Donk band definitely don't have casual clothes and don't use acoustic guitar. But yeah, we can indeed think it could have been for this mission, way before the New Donk Band was even a thing. But imo this design was probably done way before that missions were already planned. My first thought was just that New Donk already had it's Mario character, Pauline, so they would save Rosalina to be the star of another country. But yeah, hard to know. Just my thoughts for what it's worth.
I just think "New Donk was originally more modern in how it presented urban life" is a much shorter leap than "It was clearly for a cancelled world"

Village

Oct 25, 2017
GOnna need Rosaline The Star Queen Stat

She's a thousand years old and she never really lost track of her moral code

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool design, but i would not be suprised if it was made when they were deciding what was their acceptable limits to redesigning key aspects of a mario game look and feel, similar to BOTW concept art with modern link and gannondof, and probably had no chance of ever getting into the finished product.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, that art isn't whimsical enough, looks like it belongs to a game like LiS, not Mario...