• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Well if you're only doing 8 episodes and you know it, you can write a much tighter plot than you would be if you need to fill a 30-episode season with the possibility of god knows how many seasons in the future and are allowed few to no running plot threads.
Yup, that's why I said I hope they did it right lol

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The quality of the show is going to be entirely based on whether or not Barr can keep her head out of the writer's room and leave the sane people in charge.

So uh, good luck

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is going to be a train wreck.

As great as it would be to help shine some light on the issues trans youth face, I can't imagine this being done tastefully at all.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the Showtime hit "Billions" made history as the first television program to feature a non-binary character

waaaaaiiiiit a minute

imdb Billions - 2016

imdb House of Lies - 2012

i call foul, Don Cheadle's character has a gender fluid kid (Roscoe) who is a major character

edit - ah Geist caught it

o shit patientzero caught an even earlier one, forgot about the Riches kid (although, arguably not a major char). welp

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That character will be made fun of as why the world is such a fucked up place. You just watch
As desprate as ABC might be for another comedy that does well in the ratings I really don't think they'd let that fly. How far did Last Man Standing go because I can't see them going too much further to that side.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a Roseanne episode that was about abortion and how she was passionately pro-choice. Yet in real life and on the show she's a Trump supporter who just today spoke at a pro-life rally. Strange times indeed.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a Roseanne episode that was about abortion and how she was passionately pro-choice. Yet in real life and on the show she's a Trump supporter who just today spoke at a pro-life rally. Strange times indeed.

i have this distant, flickering hope that Roseanne has been playing her yet-to-return character on Twitter this whole time in an Kaufmanesque display of real life performance art

yeah, it's not likely

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is rather uninformed on this particular topic.

Does non-binary gender identity issues happen as early as 9 years of age? I think I've always associated it with a puberty thing.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Alright. I'm puzzled.

Given her Twitter meltdowns, if Barr had complete creative control this would never happen. Or perhaps the character would be a complete joke- but they aren't framing it that way in the article.

I'm also happy to see a mainstream show actually tackle the idea of boys who enjoy presenting in a feminine manner, but I wonder if it'll try to conflate that with trans issues. I'm also not sure why the article says the character is nonbinary if they're not trans. NB is inherently trans because you're never going to have a doctor say, at birth "this person is not a girl or a boy".

It's... got the potential to be very messy, but also very good.

Does non-binary gender identity issues happen as early as 9 years of age? I think I've always associated it with a puberty thing.
I can't see a reason why someone couldn't identify as nonbinary if they can identify as the gender the doctor didn't assign them at that age. But I do have to admit, for the most part, the NB people I know didn't really realize it or recognize signs they were until after puberty, yeah.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing weird about a kid who's interested in the clothes they want to wear. Non-binary ≠ transgender.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak for non-binary people, but I knew I was trans around then for sure. So, it would make sense for their identities to exist around then too

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I feel like if the parents are supposed to be Trump supporters that it's trying to model All in the Family, and will have a similarly normalizing effect on people's reaction to seeing marginalized people bear the brunt of terrible outdated attitudes and horrible treatment. You were supposed to empathize with Archie Bunker even as he continuously made racist remarks. "Yes, that's all terrible, but there's a lot of love in that family." Every episode opened with him sitting at a piano singing sweetly. (About how "girls were girls and men were men" by the way.)

Meanwhile, Barr herself is a transphobic Trump supporter.

I can admit to almost being enticed to curiosity-watch the mess. But I don't think anyone should go into it expecting the genderfluid character to be treated well by the characters or the show. And, this is not the show we need right now. It's hard not to feel like it's going to use the controversial stuff that will come up because of this character exploitatively (for views) rather than to promote discussion, heal rifts, express a viewpoint of tolerance, help other genderfluid people feel represented, etc.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, very much so. There are kids who express very clearly that they've got a disconnect w/ their gender and birth sex starting at 3-4.

Though that isn't what they're going for here- they're going for a kid who's gender nonconforming but not trans, which is also a thing.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Didn't she become an alt-right nutjob?

she did, killing any interest i had in this

Roseanne is an alt-right Trump supporting whackjob, I sure hope this isn't meant to be a joke.

literally can't see this poor kid not being just that

Norm is slowly slipping into that arena with Barr as well. Some time on his twitter feed and observing him RT and mostly respond to alt right fans is a mind fuck. He continuously RTs shit from a racist and transphobe named avard macgregor or something. Recently when he had an exchange with Jake Tapper, Norm's regulars lost their shit for talking to Jake.

I can't support neither him nor Rosanne.

yeah, for those of us who thought norm was overrated shit before this turn was neither hard not surprising though

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
If she uses this character to punch down she's an even bigger shitheel than I thought she was. Dont expect nuance from Roseanne Barre, its been a long time since OG Roseanne.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Roseanne is a piece of shit bigot and no degree of non-binary representation will make up for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really conflicted. I don't like Dan/Roseanne voting for Trump, I rather dislike Roseanne Barr (then again I was never a fan of her or her character in the past). OTOH, if they handle it appropriately - ie, actually acknowledging the hypocrisy of Roseanne voting for someone whose views are so toxic to people she alleges to support - it could actually not be bad. The gender creative kid could also go either way, depends on how the idea is handled. Like, will they be framed in such a way that the audience is meant to laugh at them for being gender creative (even if only some of the time)? For example, Jackie dressed her son in effeminate clothing, and it was definitely framed in a "you're making this kid look stupid" way.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean to derail, but.......WHAT?! Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, but when the heck did he die?
The actor died a long time ago (but after show ended) from an overdose I believe. If I remember correctly the plan is to say he died in the war for this new season, instead of recasting him.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where people are getting the idea that Roseanne (the character) and Dan would vote for Trump or be Obama-to-Trump voters. Roseanne was around plenty of minority characters and sympathized with them.

Roseanne Barr, though, has become a complete lunatic, especially with her rampant xenophobia and Islamophobia. I think she paid someone to clear out her older tweets to make her appear more palatable but you can just have a cursory glance over at who she's following to see just who you're dealing with.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Being Gender Creative is no excuse for poor fashion sense.

Edit: The more I look at it the more it bothers me. Characters like this need to exist, but if they dress the character like this on a regular basis you're almost making it a caricature of what individuals actually think a gender creative individual would be.

that child looks like something youd see in a ska punk zelda universe

so I agree

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The actor died a long time ago (but after show ended) from an overdose I believe. If I remember correctly the plan is to say he died in the war for the show, instead of recasting him.
The war thing was her original plan for DJ. It's possible she shifted that over to Mark, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

If anything, Becky and Mark would have fallen to the opioid crisis, but I can't imagine them doing that when the actor died of an overdose.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that Roseanne (the character) and Dan would vote for Trump or be Obama-to-Trump voters. Roseanne was around plenty of minority characters and sympathized with them.

Roseanne Barr, though, has become a complete lunatic, especially with her rampant xenophobia and Islamophobia. I think she paid someone to clear out her older tweets to make her appear more palatable but you can just have a cursory glance over at who she's following to see just who you're dealing with.

You're saying it right there. Roseanne herself used to be liberal.

Oct 25, 2017

Much like the real Roseanne, the fictional Roseanne actually had some prejudices against LGBT people, they even did multiple episodes that touch upon them.

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait to watch the show before I judge. But I know Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert are extremely talented and I trust they will do a fantastic job.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The war thing was her original plan for DJ. It's possible she shifted that over to Mark, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

If anything, Becky and Mark would have fallen to the opioid crisis, but I can't imagine them doing that when the actor died of an overdose.

You're saying it right there. Roseanne herself used to be liberal.

Roseanne Barr herself didn't vote for Trump because of "economic anxiety", which is likely the only thing they'll be pushing with the show in regards to her die hard shilling for Trump, but instead because she's an out of her mind terrible person. She was also saying terrible, idiotic things long before she voted for Trump, regardless of that so-called "liberal" label.

In reality, she's a much worse, much more unstable person than her character, always has been.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What consensus are you going off of? A lot of parents have a moment when they feel they need to rein their kid in from a look or action at some point. When they do so is very much relative. "No no no...son, only girls play with dolls; put that back!" is a discussion that can be had at any age. Presumably this character's parents are not having those types of conversations.
Oh yeah, a lot of parents are insecure and ignorant. I just feel that the description "displays qualities of both young female and male traits" is a bit too prescriptive, which I don't like.
If you look at boys that aren't "reined in", you'll find quite a few that play with dolls. Reducing non-binary to "not being a gender stereotype" is a bit trashy IMO.
EDIT: I guess I have a problem with the word "non-binary" being used, when it's just non-conforming.

Second edit:
Though that isn't what they're going for here- they're going for a kid who's gender nonconforming but not trans, which is also a thing.
Wait, so the kid isn't non-binary at all? At least according to my understanding of "being non-binary", meaning being some gender outside the binary, or none at all. I'm confused now.

Last edited:

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Didn't she become an alt-right nutjob?

She has become a really bizarre mix of alt-right, zionist, conspiracy theorist. Seems like she nuked her Twitter feed but it was full of anti Obama, anti Clinton conspiracy nonsense mixed with #maga stuff.

To be honest I'm surprised she was able to keep it together for the production of the new Roseanne season because reading her Twitter feed always left me with the impression that her mind was completely fucked up.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so the kid isn't non-binary at all? At least according to my understanding of "being non-binary", meaning being some gender outside the binary, or none at all. I'm confused now.
Gender non-conforming is in regards to exhibited behavior. Non-Binary is in regards to gender identity. (identifying as neither male nor female) Non-conforming behavior doesn't necessitate a non-binary identity. A guy who does drag but identifies as a guy is an example of this.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Gender non-conforming is in regards to exhibited behavior. Non-Binary is in regards to gender identity. (identifying as neither male nor female) Non-conforming behavior doesn't necessitate a non-binary identity. A guy who does drag but identifies as a guy is an example of this.
Yeah, exactly. I guess I'm just afraid that this character will be a lazy stereotype, equating gender non-conforming behaviour with a certain gender identity, which is a bit too simple IMO.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly. I guess I'm just afraid that this character will be a lazy stereotype, equating gender non-conforming behaviour with a certain gender identity, which is a bit too simple IMO.
The needle they're threading is that this character would likely end up being gay, but since they're 9, you wouldn't know that for sure at this stage of development.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to use that as a vehicle to make fun. I have zero faith in Roseanne to treat the subject appropriately. Why did Sara Gilbert agree to this?

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They're going to use that as a vehicle to make fun. I have zero faith in Roseanne to treat the subject appropriately. Why did Sara Gilbert agree to this?

th3vs3k.gif