• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I basically don't give a fuck about Rosanne Barr. But how did Rosanne turn into a Trump supporter? That's insane, ever by her wafer-thin level of sanity.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I basically don't give a fuck about Rosanne Barr. But how did Rosanne turn into a Trump supporter? That's insane, ever by her wafer-thin level of sanity.

It's gonna be framed as "economic anxiety" and nothing more, that's my guess. If they truly wanted to be real with it (which they can't seem to shut up about), the more heinous views that make up a true Trumpster wouldn't be ignored, so Roseanne can be properly judged, instead of sugar-coated.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a whole different aspect of the character though? I'm not sure I see the connection.
IIRC w/ gender-non-conforming kids, the largest % of them end up identifying as gay when they're adults. So w/ trans identity off the table, it's the most likely place where they'd eventually go w/ the character if the revival ends up lasting a while, especially given that Gilbert is gay as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, a lot of parents are insecure and ignorant. I just feel that the description "displays qualities of both young female and male traits" is a bit too prescriptive, which I don't like.
If you look at boys that aren't "reined in", you'll find quite a few that play with dolls. Reducing non-binary to "not being a gender stereotype" is a bit trashy IMO.
EDIT: I guess I have a problem with the word "non-binary" being used, when it's just non-conforming.

Second edit:

Wait, so the kid isn't non-binary at all? At least according to my understanding of "being non-binary", meaning being some gender outside the binary, or none at all. I'm confused now.

I agree with you 100% but am also unsurprised at the choice in discription seeing that we have Roseanne and Norm at the helm here. I hold neither as an vanguard on issues around gender (Gilbert is hopefully hands on deck with it though)

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Being Gender Creative is no excuse for poor fashion sense.

Edit: The more I look at it the more it bothers me. Characters like this need to exist, but if they dress the character like this on a regular basis you're almost making it a caricature of what individuals actually think a gender creative individual would be.

Maybe it's my lack of fashion sense talking, but other than the socks, what's wrong with that outfit?

I'd wear it (with different stockings) if i had the body type.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Don't expect any good representation here. Roseanne is a terrible human being and will make the character the butt of her jokes.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
Did someone say Roseanne! I used to write for Roseanne!

qzTgysbe_400x400.jpg

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a NB creator, I don't see the genuineness of this. This honestly seems like a way for Roseanne to make fun of "millenials" (remember that vile "transtrender" terminology that assholes were trying to push last year? I have no doubt Barr would love to push that shit), and not an attempt at inclusivity. If I'm looking for awesome representation, I'm going to look elsewhere. Certainly not from a primetime sitcom, and DEFINITELY not from Roseanne Barr.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be framed as "economic anxiety" and nothing more, that's my guess. If they truly wanted to be real with it (which they can't seem to shut up about), the more heinous views that make up a true Trumpster wouldn't be ignored, so Roseanne can be properly judged, instead of sugar-coated.
I'm sure they will have some despicable neighbors or coworkers to set up a contrast and show how the Conners aren't like those people just because they support Trump.

I wouldn't put it past them to really go hard against Trump supporters by the end, considering Roseanne like to be provocative and Sara Gilbert has creative control. Like a Trojan Horse to get the heartland™ to watch and then dress them down. The very special episodes were always the most memorable Roseanne episodes anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
I hate diversity done this way. Stop trying to exploit for ratings. Want to have a gender neutral character? Great. Do it. Want to include a gay kiss? Great. Do it. Stop making pronouncements about it in the media as a means of promotion. It is crass and cynical.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Don't expect any good representation here. Roseanne is a terrible human being and will make the character the butt of her jokes.

Let's hope this isn't the case.

It's great how rapidly things are advancing in pop culture. This could be the next Will and Grace type show, showing millions of young people that trans are human and normal. Transparent got the ball rolling, but I have a feeling a Roseanne show will have farther reach.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do wonder if there will be some sort of ongoing season arc where Dan and Roseanne come to the realization that they were had by the Trump promises.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I have no idea what to expect from this season.
Barr has been quoted as saying that they'll try to make us laugh about how divided we are.

Add this news and I'm just left assuming this will be The Big Bang Theory: Trump Edition.

I do wonder if there will be some sort of ongoing season arc where Dan and Roseanne come to the realization that they were had by the Trump promises.
God I hope so. That would be fantastic. Because I honestly do not see how it could be done otherwise.

Roseanne is horrifically transphobic so hopefully she's kept away from writing this character.
aaaaaaand there we go.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to check this out for Goodman and if Gilbert is producing. Also aren't both actresses that played the older daughter going to be in this? I'd like to see how that plays out. However Roseanne is wow. I can't deal with her level of bullshit. I knew the Trump supporter thing was going to be a thing as soon as I heard this revival was a possibility. It sucks even more that she dragged Goodman into that. The money has to be good if the others are willing to do this. Or it won't as much of a problem as people fear. I'm curious to see if this fails in the way I expect it to. So I'm going to look out for reports on how it turns out.

If this was the angle they would go in I'd be cool with that. That's not at all happening as Roseanne is true believer.

Oct 25, 2017
As a NB creator, I don't see the genuineness of this. This honestly seems like a way for Roseanne to make fun of "millenials" (remember that vile "transtrender" terminology that assholes were trying to push last year? I have no doubt Barr would love to push that shit), and not an attempt at inclusivity. If I'm looking for awesome representation, I'm going to look elsewhere. Certainly not from a primetime sitcom, and DEFINITELY not from Roseanne Barr.

Yeah, I had similar reservations. Roseanne is decidedly antagonistic towards trans people.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Given that Jackie was 95% of the time written as neurotic and the comedic foil to level-headed Roseanne.... I really, really hope this is not just a half hour of trivializing a national crisis every week. I am not going to watch if it's just Jackie saying something that is just brushed off by Roseanne with a pithy one-liner.

We are way past the point where having a Trump sympathetic main character is responsible nor realistic. I have absolutely no idea how they plan on portraying a Trump-affected Midwest family in a positive or even neutral light.

It upsets me because some episodes of Roseanne (like many '90s sitcoms) were really, really fucking good when talking about social issues. Hell, those are the ones I remember the most.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I just don't get why anyone involved in this is involved in it. The main cast and the producers, like Whitney Cummings, aren't exactly hurting for work.
So why is everyone giving a racist, transphobic asshole like Roseanne Barr a pass?

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Man some of you people just expect the worst and never give things a chance to see how it actually turns out. So negative. Everything so far sounds like it could have really interesting inner family dynamics. I'm excited for it.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Man some of you people just expect the worst and never give things a chance to see how it actually turns out. So negative. Everything so far sounds like it could have really interesting inner family dynamics. I'm excited for it.
What are we supposed to do, really, though? In a thread about something that hasn't started yet? Not mention Roseanne's transphobia and swing towards far-right nuttery?

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
What are we supposed to do, really, though? In a thread about something that hasn't started yet? Not mention Roseanne's transphobia and swing towards far-right nuttery?
Reserve judgments for after the show actually airs and you can see how things are pulled off instead of judging it off dumb tweets? Speculate on potential conflicts that can be featured in the season based off what we know and how you would expect them to be resolved based off the show's history? Think of other commentary that could be included in the season that would make for interesting episode plot points? Go back to watch the original series and realize they weren't always the most progressive and had moments of self-conflict with stuff like racism and homophobia? Like damn you people are ridiculous.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reserve judgments for after the show actually airs and you can see how things are pulled off instead of judging it off dumb tweets? Speculate on potential conflicts that can be featured in the season based off what we know and how you would expect them to be resolved based off the show's history? Think of other commentary that could be included in the season that would make for interesting episode plot points? Go back to watch the original series and realize they weren't always the most progressive and had moments of self-conflict with stuff like racism and homophobia? Like damn you people are ridiculous.

Dumb tweets? Just dumb tweets, huh?

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
All of that has been done so far in this thread, though. You're exaggerating, simply because you don't like what some people are saying about Roseanne's past.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will this show go the route of boogie trying to do both sides while clearly showing their favoritism towards one of them?

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
User warned: Don't downplay bigotry as "dumb tweets". Argue in good faith.
All of that has been done so far in this thread, though. You're exaggerating, simply because you don't like what some people are saying about Roseanne's past.
Sure there's some, but there's also a good amount of crybabies just clamoring to call her the worst thing ever sheerly because they don't like her or don't like the topics that will be shown. It's immature.

Dumb tweets? Just dumb tweets, huh?
Yes. Dumb tweets. And there's other dumb stuff. But it's yet to be established that's going to completely dictate the direction of the show, so I think it's stupid that some people just jump to immediate judgment like that. This isn't even just a Roseanne thing, this applies to anything you people cry about just because the creator did or said something you don't particularly care for and get all emotional and spiteful about.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm all for more inclusiveness for minority characters of any kind, this looks very much like it has the potential to backfire very heavily. Given the people involved and how the character is described/depicted seems more like they are going to be the butt end of terrible transphobic jokes.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure there's some, but there's also a good amount of crybabies just clamoring to call her the worst thing ever sheerly because they don't like her or don't like the topics that will be shown. It's immature.

Yes. Dumb tweets. And there's other dumb stuff. But it's yet to be established that's going to completely dictate the direction of the show, so I think it's stupid that some people just jump to immediate judgment like that. This isn't even just a Roseanne thing, this applies to anything you people cry about just because the creator did or said something you don't particularly care for and get all emotional and spiteful about.

Are you even vaguely aware of these 'dumb tweets?' If you are, and it's so easy for you to dismiss them as just dumb, nothing really left to say

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Yes, it's "ridiculous" to express concern about how gender issues will be tackled in a show both named after and helmed by a person who has been publicly antagonistic and bigoted re: said issues for years. We should have more to work with than years of personal statements by this person, knowledge of her political leanings, and the reality of her creative control of this show before committing the heinous crime of saying things out loud on the internet. On behalf of everyone here who is guilty of caring about these issues in a thread dedicated to this exact topic and are using public information to make informed comments that you don't like, I apologize.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

I'll watch it. Maybe it's just Jackie and Darlene calling Roseanne a stupid, hypocritical racist every episode.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rosanne Barr is a crazy, terrible person. But Norm is writing some of it, and he's probably the funniest man alive. I really wonder how this will go.
God I haven't watched a TV show proper in ages with the exception of the newest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and the terrific Vice Principles.

I will tune into to the new Roseanne just to see what Norm wrote.