• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better movie?

• Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 493 36.4%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 860 63.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Re: cinematography TLJ is the best looking movie of the saga and AOTC the worst.

f297f7a938b5dec57604b769966513c7.jpg

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One is an incredibly memeable exposition dump that expects the audience to buy the fact that the main character is an idiot.
7a47e6750f9ea71a1dee82bb4ad4f950.jpg

The other reestablishes everything that we were supposed to know about the force while still working in line with the character's personalities and state of mind.

It's memeable because it's a memorable scene.

It's not an exposition dump in the traditional sense at all, it's Plapy manipulating Anakin.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I had a lot more fun watching Revenge of the Sith, tbh, though the reasons why really go into the same overall reasons why I enjoyed the prequels more than the sequels.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting mainline entries only, ROTS is arguably among my least favorite 8 entries. In the meantime, TLJ without doubt makes my list of top 8 Star Wars mainline films.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least they didn't hit each other in the head. I'll take silly stylistic flourish over incompetent choreography any day.

Because the whole scene is poorly plotted and choreographed but the group shot is the easiest one to point out how. You're not going to impress me with a a 3 step sequence that they probably did 39 takes of to get right when there are longer, faster, and more complex sequences between Hayden and Ewan in ROTS that are legitimately more impressive and cool.
I like my films good so you can have the PT.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Re: cinematography TLJ is the best looking movie of the saga and AOTC the worst.

f297f7a938b5dec57604b769966513c7.jpg

I actually think TFA's cinematogrphy is better than TLJ's and TROS seems better to me too.

Cinematography-wise, JJ is the best that SW has ever had.

Also I hate that bottom shot with Luke and Ben because it looks like there's a giant green screen behind them. Something about it is so artificial.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Notice how it's always the same bootleg gifs of one single shot of the TLJ fight being posted. They never want to bring up any other shots from the fight. I wonder why...

WeeklyFatherlyIrishwolfhound-size_restricted.gif

MasculineFluidDikkops-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_p4ve2g6uxF1v6w3juo1_500.gifv

tumblr_p4ve2g6uxF1v6w3juo4_500.gifv

If you don't think this is the sickest shit, get out of my face. I don't want to hear about that stupid Youtube video where the guy just zooms in on dudes in the corners of the frame and complains that they aren't fighting like Prequel Jedi.

"sickest shit"

get outta here. There's easily equal "cool lightsaber scenes" in ROTS. griping about taking things out of context is rich

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sure that's valid but that's not the argument that Rose gives about why Finn shouldn't do it.
Essentially, Finn was fighting what he hated and Holdo was saving what she loved. Finn's line, "NO, I WON'T LET THEM WIN"=throw out any sense as long as we blow up the thing. That's not the right way to go about things and everyone was telling Finn that he was making the wrong move. It was more proof that Finn was absolutely dedicated to the cause, and maybe in a different situation would'v
It's memeable because it's a memorable scene.
Not all memorable scenes are memeable, quite the opposite actually. The entire premise of the scene is memeable because of how it treats the characters and due to the leap of logic the audience has to make, i.e. well clearly Anakin is an idiot.

The way the jedi are written in general makes them seem like idiots and not in a "well their hubris caught up to them and allowed them to be wiped out" but a "ok so nearly no one here has critical thinking skills and we're expected to just sort of believe that?" kind of way.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think people are being revisionist about it because JJ said he liked it lol

It was always garbage

Everyone in the PT is a fucking idiot. That's the internal consistency of the PT, so criticizing a scene for the characters being stupid is like criticizing water for being wet. It's still a very well executed scene.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not all memorable scenes are memeable, quite the opposite actually. The entire premise of the scene is memeable because of how it treats the characters and due to the leap of logic the audience has to make, i.e. well clearly Anakin is an idiot.

The entire scene is memeable because of the dialogue and Ian's delivery. It's quotable, it's memorable, and it's actually well written (rumor is that this was screenwriter Tom Shoppard's main uncredited contribution to ROTS).

"Did you ever hear the tradegy of Darth Plagues the Wise?"

"Not from a Jedi."

That's what people remember, not Anakin being a dumbass.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Because the whole scene is poorly plotted and choreographed but the group shot is the easiest one to point out how. You're not going to impress me with a a 3 step sequence that they probably did 39 takes of to get right when there are longer, faster, and more complex sequences between Hayden and Ewan in ROTS.

There's a lot of really intricate, technical stuff in that fight, but I feel it's lost when so much of the ROTS choreography is just a blur of blue blades with every shot looking near identical. They straight up repeat the same choreography several times in that fight, just shooting it from different angles to disguise it. It's minute after minute of vwvwvwwv-ing at the same intensity, the same speed, left-right-left-right-left-right-twirl-repeat. You can't even see half of it because the motion-blurred sabre blades obscure so much of the frame. Hayden does so many behind-the-back hand swaps that you can barely even spot because they're just poorly framed. The hand-to-hand part in the middle is laughable, too.

The TLJ fight is absolutely gorgeously choreographed, with the cameraman himself acting as one of the fighters to frame every hit perfectly. Beautiful sequences using every inch of the frame, players moving in and out, different weapons, different fighting styles, a perfect depiction of each character's personality. It's absolutely wonderful.

"sickest shit"

get outta here. There's easily equal "cool lightsaber scenes" in ROTS. griping about taking things out of context is rich

I wasn't saying anything about the ROTS fights, I just pointed out that people misrepresent the TLJ fight as nothing but the single take at the beginning. People also misrepresent the ROTS fight as nothing but the twirling gif, which I think is equally unfair, but for the reasons I mention above I think the TLJ fight is far, far better in its entirety.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
"sickest shit"

The Obi-Wan and Anakin fight goes on for like 10 minutes into the most ludicrous stages, neither of them getting hurt, no change or evolution of their emotional state, no character emerging. And it ends because... Anakin got too arrogant about his skill to jump up a hill? Is the secret to beating Jedi just finding a slight incline?

Why didn't Darth Maul win his fight against Obi-Wan? That was an even steeper hill!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad sanity has prevailed in the poll.

What a question, lol. A badly written, directed, and acted movie versus a great one. Hmmm, what a conundrum.

For what it's worth, I really tried to appreciate RotS's entertainment value, but by the fifth viewing I knew for sure that it was time to stop deluding myself. The movie is filled with distracting amateurish nonsense that doesn't belong in a well funded feature film with a professional cast and crew.

RotS is riddled with sour notes from beginning to end. Spectacle is constantly favored over what's right for the characters, and that spectacle is mostly neon chaos that begs for even a quarter of the structure and ordered progression you see in better films like Fury Road or The Two Towers.

Almost all of the most critical moments are spoiled by bombastic staging, poor acting and dialogue, or unneeded effects. Palpatine's unmasking, Anakin betraying Windu, Palpatine naming Vader, Anakin rebuffing Padme, Anakin dueling Obi-Wan, Yoda confronting Palpatine...

It's just a badly made movie that fails as a high stakes space drama. If you're entertained by it, fine. But don't act like its quality as a piece of cinema is in any way improved by the fun factor.

RotS is nowhere close to the ideal version of its own screenplay. George Lucas managed to spin gold into straw.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The entire scene is memeable because of the dialogue and Ian's delivery. It's quotable, it's memorable, and it's actually well written (rumor is that this was screenwriter Tom Shoppard's main uncredited contribution to ROTS).
It's not well written as again, it requires us to believe that Anakin is an idiot, not just easily manipulable, but also just a straight up idiot. By the end of his military career. Like, a scene like that would work much better if Anakin wasn't fully grown.

"Are you an angel" Anakin wouldn't naturally ask, "ok so how do you know this?" and "WAIT A MINUTE YOU'RE THE EVIL BAD DUDE GUY" would be much more believable. As if the sith have always been a thing instead of something that reappeared just a few years ago. It's as if the dude never grew.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away,

A band of fucking moron idiots try to settle a trade dispute
Lmaooooooo

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The Obi-Wan and Anakin fight goes on for like 10 minutes into the most ludicrous stages, neither of them getting hurt, no change or evolution of their emotional state, no character emerging. And it ends because... Anakin got too arrogant about his skill to jump up a hill? Is the secret to beating Jedi just finding a slight incline?

Why didn't Darth Maul win his fight against Obi-Wan? That was an even steeper hill!

There is character in the fight, it's just not explicit.

You see Anakin running through every obstacle that Obi-Wan puts in front of him without thinking while Obi-Wan plays defensively.

Eventually, Obi-Wan gets Anakin to a point where he couldn't rush through anymore and Obi-Wan defeats Anakin just as much as he defeats himself.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More people should realize Palpatine vs Yoda was the best fight in the prequels, though I wish it was a bit longer.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The throne room scene in TLJ is better than anything else in all of the Star Wars movies, including the OT.

I said it.

Dont@me

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's not well written as again, it requires us to believe that Anakin is an idiot, not just easily manipulable, but also just a straight up idiot. By the end of his military career. Like, a scene like that would work much better if Anakin wasn't fully grown.
To be fair it's not like he was a Jedi Master

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
By standing on a hill
Anakin: literally survives a giant machine falling into lava by precision jumping off of the machine directly onto a very small droid that's floating over a pool of lava, this jump is at least 50 ft in the air

Also Anakin:literally can't jump on a hill without getting sliced

The "you underestimate my power" line doesn't even make sense in this context, like, that jump from the machine was way more impressive than the attempt to jump on a hill.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To give Ani some leeway, Palpatine had been a mentor and good friend since Anakin was a boy.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
By baiting Anakin into flipping into Obi-Wan using Anakin's own arrogance.

Nah, that's just a meaningless but cool fight scene.

Nothing in SW will ever top this moment again:

73ae792be02edb430d9486e23f3b0666.gif
The worst part about the PT is that Lukes outfit there was suppose to be a Jedi Outfit. Not the Tatooine desert dweller robes they thought it was.
A black navy-like uniform is so much better and makes much more sense for an ancient police force to wear than raggedy robes.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Skipped over? They had one whole conversation before ROTS

/s

While this is true, that convo does characterize that they have had a long relationship together and that Palpatine has been feeding his ego.

The worst part about the PT is that Lukes outfit there was suppose to be a Jedi Outfit. Not the Tatooine desert dweller robes they thought it was.
A black navy-like uniform is so much better and makes much more sense for an ancient police force to wear than raggedy robes.

Yep but Anakin's outfit is the GOAT.

4610796-0849145928-4-Ana.jpg