• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better movie?

• Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 493 36.4%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 860 63.6%

• Total voters

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So you are you saying that even if you watch the prequels as a young kid you have to watch all of them first before the OT to truly appreciate it?

It's not about appreciating.

This is what I'm saying:

There are different expectations set in when you go from the whole OT to the PT than if you go from the whole PT to the OT.

You also get nice reactions like this too:

Not everyone knows Darth Vader and Anakin are the same person but everyone knows Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones before seeing the original trilogy - had to have been about seven or so after watching Clones. My parents were mortified and they rush bought the OG movies and we marathoned them shortly after Clones came out. I remember thinking Anakin was way cooler than Luke back then but Luke is bae now.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the relationship between age and liking the prequels. I was 14 when I saw RotS in the theater and knew it was dogshit.

I distinctly remember how we all cringed hard at "Nooooooo!"

russbus64

May 1, 2018
ROTS for the memes, and as it is very true to the Star Wars "feel".

TLJ for a film that tried to break the formula (people were afraid it would rehash ESB with a darker tone) and for better acting. While the jokes or subverting expectations are a mixed bag, it at least sets up the third film to hopefully do something different.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Another knock against ROTS? No sex scene.

bmc0a4X.png

Filthy, just like Daddy likes.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I remember seeing The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones before seeing the original trilogy - had to have been about seven or so after watching Clones. My parents were mortified and they rush bought the OG movies and we marathoned them shortly after Clones came out. I remember thinking Anakin was way cooler than Luke back then but Luke is bae now.

I mean Anakin did bang Natalie Portman and Luke made out with his sister.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Anakin did bang Natalie Portman and Luke made out with his sister.
Yeah but this means nothing to me as a gay dude though. Besides, Luke's style game at the end of Empire in the Bespin Fatigues and the jumpsuit in Return of the Jedi are clean.

I will say Padme's thousands of outfits made her far more appealing to me than Leia back then as well.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So this TLJ hate thread didn't go the way ya'll wanted and now you're looking for other polls? lol

goshou

Oct 28, 2017
I remember how it took me weeks to finally go see ROTS, I was so disenchanted with Star Wars by then. Star Wars had burned me with Attack of the Clones and my life-long love of the franchise had died. I wanted to believe the reviews I had read that said this one was good, this one made up for the last two.

So, we went and saw it. And maybe somewhat like those that hate TLJ, I couldn't understand the praise. Even now I don't. "Ian's outrageous acting is a delight and makes the movie", "The final lightsaber fight is wonderfully realized and emotional" "It really brings the whole saga together" "It's so dark". I just couldn't process it, and I still can't sadly. I wish I could sometimes, but the last time I watch ROTS, I felt the same way. Why is Yoda jumping around like a flee? Why did Anakin fall for the dumbest plot ever? Why are the Jedi so damn stupid and vapid? Why does Padme die of a broken heart? Why was Grievous such a waste?

It was so sad to me because I LOVED the Gendy's "Clone Wars" and thought, "Hey, maybe, just maybe, the last movie will be somewhat like this; really follow up on what they have here." Grievous was competent and deadly. I felt for Anakin. The action was outrageous, sure, but in a cartoon I was fine with it—heck if done right in live action, I'd love it (having consumed way too much Hong-Kong cinema by this point in my life).

Even now, I think I dislike ROTS more than AOTC because I like Obi-wan in AOTC.

On the other hand, we saw TLJ opening weekend and while it is a problematic movie (having just watched it in the last month), at least I enjoy the actors and dialogue (yes, even the yo moma joke) more than anything from ROTS. The broody old Luke is a good fit for the older me; I felt that, knowing how bitter I've become at the world these days, I could see Luke, the once bright and shining Jedi-to-be falling into a spiral to what he had become. I thought Poe was an idiot and should have been brigged and that they should have played with the idea of a traitor in their mist to show that was why Holdo wouldn't tell him anything. I mean, he did just sacrifice most of their fleet like a troop attack on a Nod Obelisk. Canto Blight was side quest that could have been done much better, but at least only took up about 20 minutes based on me timing it during my last watch. Everything with Rey and Kylo and Luke was double thumbs up.

Final thoughts: I feel Star Wars is a movie saga about what the viewer brings with them into it. If the viewer is looking for something and finds it, they like the movie. If it goes against what they had in their head, not so much.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I remember how it took me weeks to finally go see ROTS, I was so disenchanted with Star Wars by then. Star Wars had burned me with Attack of the Clones and my life-long love of the franchise had died. I wanted to believe the reviews I had read that said this one was good, this one made up for the last two.

So, we went and saw it. And maybe somewhat like those that hate TLJ, I couldn't understand the praise. Even now I don't. "Ian's outrageous acting is a delight and makes the movie", "The final lightsaber fight is wonderfully realized and emotional" "It really brings the whole saga together" "It's so dark". I just couldn't process it, and I still can't sadly. I wish I could sometimes, but the last time I watch ROTS, I felt the same way. Why is Yoda jumping around like a flee? Why did Anakin fall for the dumbest plot ever? Why are the Jedi so damn stupid and vapid? Why does Padme die of a broken heart? Why was Grievous such a waste?

It was so sad to me because I LOVED the Gendy's "Clone Wars" and thought, "Hey, maybe, just maybe, the last movie will be somewhat like this; really follow up on what they have here." Grievous was competent and deadly. I felt for Anakin. The action was outrageous, sure, but in a cartoon I was fine with it—heck if done right in live action, I'd love it (having consumed way too much Hong-Kong cinema by this point in my life).

Even now, I think I dislike ROTS more than AOTC because I like Obi-wan in AOTC.

On the other hand, we saw TLJ opening weekend and while it is a problematic movie (having just watched it in the last month), at least I enjoy the actors and dialogue (yes, even the yo moma joke) more than anything from ROTS. The broody old Luke is a good fit for the older me; I felt that, knowing how bitter I've become at the world these days, I could see Luke, the once bright and shining Jedi-to-be falling into a spiral to what he had become. I thought Poe was an idiot and should have been brigged and that they should have played with the idea of a traitor in their mist to show that was why Holdo wouldn't tell him anything. I mean, he did just sacrifice most of their fleet like a troop attack on a Nod Obelisk. Canto Blight was side quest that could have been done much better, but at least only took up about 20 minutes based on me timing it during my last watch. Everything with Rey and Kylo and Luke was double thumbs up.

Final thoughts: I feel Star Wars is a movie saga about what the viewer brings with them into it. If the viewer is looking for something and finds it, they like the movie. If it goes against what they had in their head, not so much.

This is a fair opinion.

Dying of a broken heart is an actual thing though irl. It's called Broken Heart Syndrome/

Broken heart syndrome, also called stress-induced cardiomyopathy or takotsubo cardiomyopathy, can strike even if you're healthy. (Tako tsubo, by the way, are octopus traps that resemble the pot-like shape of the stricken heart.)

Women are more likely than men to experience the sudden, intense chest pain — the reaction to a surge of stress hormones — that can be caused by an emotionally stressful event. It could be the death of a loved one or even a divorce, breakup or physical separation, betrayal or romantic rejection. It could even happen after a good shock (like winning the lottery.)

Broken heart syndrome may be misdiagnosed as a heart attack because the symptoms and test results are similar. In fact, tests show dramatic changes in rhythm and blood substances that are typical of a heart attack. But unlike a heart attack, there's no evidence of blocked heart arteries in broken heart syndrome.

In broken heart syndrome, a part of your heart temporarily enlarges and doesn't pump well, while the rest of your heart functions normally or with even more forceful contractions. Researchers are just starting to learn the causes, and how to diagnose and treat it.

goshou

Oct 28, 2017
This is a fair opinion.

Dying of a broken heart is an actual thing though irl. It's called Broken Heart Syndrome/

Oh yes, I've seen that and I guess maybe Padme died because she was so sad that her husband tried to kill her. I might be, knowing how terribly wrong she was about Anakin the whole time and that deep down inside he WAS the crazed murder she always thought he might be. It's a fair option.

Her dying was pretty shocking to me because in the OT Leia had, with great feeling and conviction, said that she remembered her mother. So Padme dying was out there for me. I half expected she would become some sort of leader of a pocket resistance group or something, taking Leia with her while giving Luke to Obi-wan. Once again, I can only judge the movie by what I go in with and this was just one of many points that made me feel put out by the PT.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh yes, I've seen that and I guess maybe Padme died because she was so sad that her husband tried to kill her. I might be, knowing how terribly wrong she was about Anakin the whole time and that deep down inside he WAS the crazed murder she always thought he might be. It's a fair option.

Her dying was pretty shocking to me because in the OT Leia had, with great feeling and conviction, said that she remembered her mother. So Padme dying was out there for me. I half expected she would become some sort of leader of a pocket resistance group or something, taking Leia with her while giving Luke to Obi-wan. Once again, I can only judge the movie by what I go in with and this was just one of many points that made me feel put out by the PT.

Yeah, the only way that you can reconcile what Leia is saying with Padme's death is if Leia is talking about her step-mom not Padme or "the Force".

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
TLJ, but I like both movies and think they're pretty close in quality (albeit doing extremely different things). RotS has too many issues for me to say it's better, but I like the general outline of the plot of what happens in that movie a lot more and its climax left more of an impact on me despite being goofy as hell.

Jake_Peralta

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2019
Easily RoTS. Last Jedi had relatively interesting elements at times, but falls short of any actual substance. RoTS certainly has its issues as well, but at least people don't dub it a good/enjoyable movie because of it "subverting expectations."

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither are particularly good, but ROtS is a hilarious train wreck. At least you can earnestly enjoy how awful the dialog and acting are. It's a treat and I love watching it.

TLJ is just painful to sit through.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
The Last Jedi, easily. That said, I'm not going to judge anyone who prefers RotS since - while I think it's a bad movie - it's such a fun ride, I honestly don't know how someone can hate it. It's cheesy and dumb and endlessly quotable/memeable, the perfect film for you and your friends during a movie night, even if they aren't Star Wars fans. It helps that - unlike AotC - it isn't boring and the CGI hasn't aged that badly compared to its contemporaries. Bonus points if you show them Backstroke of the West.

EDIT: BotW exhibit A:
BotW exhibit B:
utZoitc.jpg

Last edited:

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
If I had only watched each movie once, I would vote for The Last Jedi. But I get giddy everytime I see Sheev show up throughout the prequels, so ROTS it is.

Revenge of the Sith is just so much more entertaining, even if the movie's quality isn't as good.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ is likely to end up as my 6th favorite SW film, but that'll still be better than all the prequels.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
ROTS easy, it's great from start to finish and has some of the most big moments in the series.

TLJ has a bunch of issues and good moment but it's only ahead of TPM and AOTC for me.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I still say that if TLJ ended right after Snoke is taken out and Kylo offers his hand to Rey, it would be maybe the greatest Star Wars film ever.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ROTS is dump in movie form. TLJ wasn't great or anything, but comparing it to the prequels is laughable.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is what I'm saying:

Not everyone knows Darth Vader and Anakin are the same person but everyone knows Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Yeah that was completely genuine

Not staged whatsoever........

(My comment isn't in regards to ROTS vs TLJ but how that video is obviously staged for views)

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This is a fair opinion.

She names her twin children then dies of a broken heart? I'm just not buying it. Maybe she shouldn't have named them and just been unconscious and the babies needed to be delivered. Or maybe let her raise Leia in exile before her death. Everything from Grievous's death was rushed.

"Oh, and have the protocol droids memory wiped."

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh so a entire scene loses purpose if it's a meme?

5a3e9efd336c6.jpeg

Haha! Movie defeated!

doesnt even make sense anyway. He did try to murder his father.

even after he resolved not to kill Vader, as soon as he mentioned Leia luke went fuckin' nuts on him.

With Kylo he just turned his saber on then turned it back off. That's progress IMO.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is what I'm saying:

People don't put together that the two people named "Skywalker" are related?

Watching prequels first is shitty, George Lucas is an idiot. "No, I am your father" is the reveal you don't want to ruin.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Last Jedi

though I really like the Anakin/Obi Wan duel a lot and the accompanying music. Williams has done fine work in the sequel trilogy but his prequel work was so much better.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm not sure about better, but Revenge of the Sith is a movie I'm down to rewatch whenever but I don't really care about Jedi. I think Jedi is technically a better movie, but I just didn't enjoy it as much. Didn't really feel much of an emotional connection to it. Meanwhile, cheesy as it is, "You were my brother Anakin! I loved you!" still gets to me tbh.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Oh man, this post.

I've taken trips to the bathroom more worthy of being called a masterpiece than a single syllable of Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi EVER will be.

It'll be a cold day in hell before that piece of shit is better than a single one of the prequels. Disney's fanfic insert characters are about as relevant as him, even if they aren't as annoying.
Lmao what is this post

On a scale from 1 to 15, how old are you?

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I feel that the ST has butchered the OT characters and story by rendering the OT essentially meaningless since everything has been reset to the point that even Palpatine is back.

Nothing Luke, Leia, Lando and Han did in the OT mattered

The OT characters in the ST are, at the very least, consistent with their previous roles even if you didn't like the direction the story itself went in.

In regards to that, the sequels are merely mirroring our real life political struggles and conflicts, which is a continuation of the themes in the OT. Those older characters we know and love are representing our own history, our own failures. The villains of the ST are interesting because they represent the new threat of certain ideologies that we once thought were dead. This is highlighted by direct comparison - Vader to Kylo, Hux to Tarkin and even Snoke to Palpatine. Palpatine here represents the true form of Fascism and Nazism, a spectre come to life.

I find that concept very interesting. I feel genuinely sad for Luke, Leia and Han, for what they fought for and what they subsequently lost. It doesn't make their journey any less impactful imo.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Easily RoTS. Last Jedi had relatively interesting elements at times, but falls short of any actual substance. RoTS certainly has its issues as well, but at least people don't dub it a good/enjoyable movie because of it "subverting expectations."

nobody calls TLJ good because of "subverted expectations"

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I enjoyed both but I was younger when 3 came out and so it has that nostalgia plus all the memes are great so i guess ill choose that.