• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
....after previously saying the reviews came from legitimate users early last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/1...el-bombing-changes-rotten-tomatoes-letterboxd
In a call with The Verge, a spokesperson said Rotten Tomatoes (which is owned by ticketing platform Fandango) has faced a new level of review-bombing over the past 18 months. She said only a few films have been seriously targeted — including Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther, two big franchise installments that implicitly or explicitly critiqued racism and sexism. But trolls are becoming a standard risk for any big movie that's considered too feminist or anti-racist, to the point that studios are actively trying to counter trolls themselves.

This isn't made to say TLJ isn't dislike by people, because it is and people can be, but hopefully with this out it stops people from using RT user reviews as a way to validate an argument.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Easy solution - only allow approved accounts verified by two factor authentication / registration - email & SMS. The SMS aspect will remove a lot more of the bots/trolls.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is any amount of attention being spent on user reviews? This is like the realization online polls could be swayed during the early 00's.

Solution: Ignore them entirely and stop being so review obsessed!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking called it.

Easy solution - only allow approved accounts verified by two factor authentication / registration - email & SMS. The SMS aspect will remove a lot more of the bots/trolls.
And also proof that you've seen the film in question. Which thankfully they're thinking of implementing.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking called it.

And also proof that you've seen the film in question.

How do they do that?

Oooh actually a good solution would be Rotten Tomato kiosks in conjunction with a specific theatre brand. Or maybe not even kiosks, tie it to the theatre mobile app and when a purchase has been completed, prompt for a RT review.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You forgot the SHOCKING NEWS tag.

And same is happening to Captain Marvel.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of no one, regardless of it not being a great movie, it's not even the worst SW movie.

OP
OP
Ryan.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How do they do that?

Oooh actually a good solution would be Rotten Tomato kiosks in conjunction with a specific theatre brand. Or maybe not even kiosks, tie it to the theatre mobile app and when a purchase has been completed, prompt for a RT review.

They're owned by Fandango so that would be a great start.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
How do they do that?

They were actually considering that so here's hoping woot

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
How do they do that?

I believe there was recently a story that they were considering linking with Fandango for a "verified" review label, kinda like with Amazon.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a review site where you could only leave a review if you could verify you bought a ticket? Can't for the life of me remember what it was called or if it's still around. Seemed like a good idea

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, did anyone not already know that? I know some people liked to use the RT user score to back up the notion that the movie was more divisive than it actually was but even they knew it was review bombed to hell and back and were just being disingenuous about it.

hell, the review bombing for The Last Jedi spilled out into other movies! it was just an embarrassing situation all around

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ was very well received as far I know, with very successfull DVD sales and an A on cinemascore with general audiences, also one of the most successful films in the series. The 'backlash' felt manufactured. But that might be besides the general point. You don't seriously... need statistics to justify what things you may or may not liked about a movie.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
People not being able to let TLJ go is maybe the most interesting thing about the film. It fascinates me because when I walked out of the theater, I felt absolutely nothing. I thought it was an acceptable and largely forgettable 2 hours of Star Wars, no more or less.

And yet, it's probably the most talked about one in the series.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was review bombed and it was also the worst mainline star wars movie(by quite the margin) ever made. Not hard to reconcile both unless you're a diehard on either side.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They should still allow all kind of user reviews, but only make those count towards the score that fulfill the two following criteria:

1) The review has been left after release of the movie
2) The user has verified to actually been to the cinema to watch the movie

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, did anyone not already know that? I know some people liked to use the RT user score to back up the notion that the movie was more divisive than it actually was but even they knew it was review bombed to hell and back and were just being disingenuous about it.

hell, the review bombing for The Last Jedi spilled out into other movies! it was just an embarrassing situation all around

I don't know that it's widely accepted, yet, despite being known to people paying attention. Particularly with, as you point out, how oftenRT user scores are seen as proof of divisiveness.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that it's widely accepted, yet, despite being known to people paying attention. Particularly with, as you point out, how oftenRT user scores are seen as proof of divisiveness.

the people who used the RT user score as a shield against literally every other metric absolutely knew it was review bombed to hell and back, let's not kid ourselves

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
people shouldn't even be taking Rotten Tomatoes as seriously as they do. Like basing your decision to watch a given movie based off the RT score has always seemed stupid to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Every action has a reaction. Imo the TLJ user review score ended at the correct percentage.
But it literally did not. You can't say "44% of people liked it" while simultaneously admitting that a large segment of negative reviews were people casting multiple votes and skewing the numbers. That's all the audience score is supposed to mean. It's not "this is a 44/100 movie," it's "this percentage of people enjoyed it." And that number has been manipulated so it cannot be trusted.

It was review bombed and it was also the worst mainline star wars movie(by quite the margin) ever made. Not hard to reconcile both unless you're a diehard on either side.
I see you've managed to block Attack of the Clones from your memory. Can you teach me how to do that?

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Letterboxd

A new hope : 4.3/5
Empire strikes back : 4.8/5
Return of the Jedi: 4/5
Phantom Menace 2.6/5
AOTC: 2.5/5
Revenge of the Sith: 3.2/5
Force Awakens : 3.8/5
The last Jedi: 3.5/5

It's the worst movie after the prequels. It's quite hard to review bomb letterboxd