• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
eh not in the same way. They are still perfectly fine family / kids movies though with lots of juicy plot/lore.

though I'd argue Phantom Menace has actually aged pretty well (it still has major flaws). AOTC / RTS not as much. Though I still like a lot of the pieces RTS.

Last Jedi from both a theme and thesis point of view elevates itself to a very high-level, far beyond most of the other Star Wars movies. I actually didn't love TLJ the first time I saw it. I felt sort of blind-sided and jerked around by it. Kind of in a daze, the second and third showings are where it clicked for me as you could look past all the expectation defying stuff and really focus on what Rian was trying to say about the universe.

This. It's funny because the general consensus around Empire at the time of release was similar to that of TLJ. It was too different and it took the story in a weird direction. Now if you ask most Star Wars fans what their favorite is, they will usually say Empire.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... Star Wars bounces back sometimes regardless of what came before. Not really that comparable because of the Disney merger and the new characters and story and everything, but look at the prequels to Force Awakens. It's like damn, if IX has some hype trailers I don't think it doing well is much closure on the general feelings toward TLJ.

TFA was the fresh start of the completely new trilogy that promised to bring back the original cast, something the prequels could not do.

IX is coming directly after TLJ, and after Solo which given how hard it bombed was not popular with the GA at all. We'll see if "Star Wars fatigue" has set in like some claim or if its something more.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Why is any amount of attention being spent on user reviews? This is like the realization online polls could be swayed during the early 00's.

Solution: Ignore them entirely and stop being so review obsessed!

If critics trash a movie and yet the majority of users give the movie good reviews, I'll be more likely to still give it a shot. If critic reviews and user reviews suck, I generally won't want to waste my time watching the film. I use user reviews as a "second chance" when critics trash a movie. It would be nice if angry, alt-right trolls didn't weaponize user reviews.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
....after previously saying the reviews came from legitimate users early last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/1...el-bombing-changes-rotten-tomatoes-letterboxd

This isn't made to say TLJ isn't dislike by people, because it is and people can be, but hopefully with this out it stops people from using RT user reviews as a way to validate an argument.
It's well documented that pro reviews are cooked by publishers too. Give a bad review, don't get invited to premiers or granted early access. If a thing gets review bombed, you have to ask why. Sometimes it's a political movement. But sometimes it's because a few people passionately dislike something based on it's entertainment merits.

For me we have come to the point where aggregate scores of all kinds are worthless and I'm back to just listening to single reviewers that were NOT granted early access of any kind. With videogames just some footage with no commentary is usually enough.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
eh not in the same way. They are still perfectly fine family / kids movies though with lots of juicy plot/lore.

though I'd argue Phantom Menace has actually aged pretty well (it still has major flaws). AOTC / RTS not as much. Though I still like a lot of the pieces RTS.

Last Jedi from both a theme and thesis point of view elevates itself to a very high-level, far beyond most of the other Star Wars movies. I actually didn't love TLJ the first time I saw it. I felt sort of blind-sided and jerked around by it. Kind of in a daze, the second and third showings are where it clicked for me as you could look past all the expectation defying stuff and really focus on what Rian was trying to say about the universe.

I've been meaning to rewatch it because I heard this sentiment a few times now.

I've only seen it once and came out of it pretty disappointed, especially after how good TFA was.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Who ever thought it'd be anything else? It's true, there are legitimately people who didn't love the movie, myself among them, but people who just had some issues with the pacing/storytelling and weren't on some kind of tirade about SJW's ruining film aren't exactly the type to go leave hyperbolic 0% user reviews on RT.

Also, anyone who ever used User Reviews to validate their own argument was speaking out of their ass, no matter what.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I think TLJ will stand the test of time due to its strong character work and themes. Eventually one of these movies was going to have to be about "Star Wars needs to keep its core values/strengths while moving beyond the Skywalker legacy in order to survive as a franchise." The Sequel Trilogy was always going to be a passing of the torch.

A bit off-topic, but does the Star Wars community even know what they want from the franchise after Episode IX comes out?

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't completely agree with the first point because even as a kid I thought Phantom Menace was boring, I would just fast forward to the Darth Maul fight, but I understand that just might be me. Visually TPM holds up the best though, I agree with that.
I agree with this 100%. There's a lot of ideas and themes in TLJ that I think deepen the SW mythology as a whole, and I think people will realize that as time passes and as more movies come out.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's still a disaster of a movie, and it's reception will only get worse as time progresses because Disney makes these films to be consumable and then thrown aside, not to stand the test of a time.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
hsfnmaf6esl01.jpg

It's still a disaster of a movie, and it's reception will only get worse as time progresses because Disney makes these films to be consumable and then thrown aside, not to stand the test of a time.
Bollocks.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They probably figured it was only gonna happen to one film so they could pretend like there wasn't a problem but now they had to face the music.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I mean, it's probably the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

Some of us like The Force Awakens more. And I can disagree with the trolls/bots and acknowledge that they review bombed. TLJ still is worse than TFA and Phantom menace IMO.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I'm basing some of this on my personal experience, many of my friends/family didn't have great things to say about TLJ.

Cinemascore doesn't have much credibility for me, mostly because of how wack their grading system is. Anything that gets below an A- is usually a "bad" score.
Maybe general audiences on cinemascore are just easier to please than the people on the internet who think they have to represent a bigger backlash for a film. I find it flimsy and It sounds like you just want a reason to invalid the Cinemascore poll because it doesn't represent you enough.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was review bombed and it was also the worst mainline star wars movie(by quite the margin) ever made. Not hard to reconcile both unless you're a diehard on either side.
Whatever you think of TLJ, the point is that the user reviews were bombed by people with shitty and bigoted ideals, not that TLJ wasn't disliked by anyone; people often used these scores to peddle the narrative that general audiences felt the same way they did, regardless of if they were making sexist arguments or not. That those scores were a representation of generally negative feelings from average moviegoers.

It's very clear for anyone not living inside of a sensitive bubble that most people liked the film and that the hatred/negativity surrounding it wasn't nearly as intense or widespread as people claim/claimed it to be.

And also holy shit if you think AOTC is a better film than TLJ.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
Some of us like The Force Awakens more. And I can disagree with the trolls/bots and acknowledge that they review bombed. TLJ still is worse than TFA and Phantom menace IMO.

I'm not trying to start anything with you, but I am genuinely curious why you feel TPM is a better movie than TLJ. Can you please explain why, preferably mentioning the specific parts of the movie (writing, acting, cinematography, directing, the characters, story, etc)?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Letterboxd

A new hope : 4.3/5
Empire strikes back : 4.8/5
Return of the Jedi: 4/5
Phantom Menace 2.6/5
AOTC: 2.5/5
Revenge of the Sith: 3.2/5
Force Awakens : 3.8/5
The last Jedi: 3.5/5

It's the worst movie after the prequels. It's quite hard to review bomb letterboxd
I'm ok with these scores. Didn't mind TLJ at all but it didn't feel new really. Though nowadays id probably actually lower the original ones scores

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe general audiences on cinemascore are just easier to please than the people on the internet who think they have to represent a bigger backlash for a film. I find it flimsy and It sounds like you just want a reason to invalid the Cinemascore poll because it doesn't represent you enough.

Hey, I enjoyed TLJ for the most part.

I just don't find cinemascore very credible with how it's grading system works. If a film gets below an A-, that's usually bad, which is stupid.

Take Suicide Squad for example. It got a B+ cinemascore, which ordinarily would sound good right? It's close to being an A-. Then you realize films like Green Lantern and Catwoman got the same score, which puts it in the bad category.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The acting is so unbelievably awful in the prequels (just... all of them) that even if the prequels had -amazing- scripts (which they didn't), they'd still be terrible just on a basic filmmaking level.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, I enjoyed TLJ for the most part.

I just don't find cinemascore very credible with how it's grading system works. If a film gets below an A-, that's usually bad. Which is stupid.

Take Suicide Squad for example. It got a B+ cinemascore, which ordinarily would sound good right? It's close to being an A-. Then you realize films like Green Lantern and Catwoman got the same score, which puts it in the bad category.

that is just the General Audience dude, get in your mind that not everybody is as cynical in the real world.

just because people hate some films on the internet doesnt mean that the average joe hates its.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that is just the General Audience dude, get in your mind that not everybody is as cynical in the real world.

just because people hate some films on the internet doesnt mean that the average joe hates its.

Green Lantern and Catwoman are hated by like.... everyone. There's a reason why they were both box office flops.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even getting to the incredibly on the nose racial stereotypes

That, plus the flat cinematography, unfocused camera work, terribly-aged visual effects, bad direction, stilted/wooden acting from basically the entire cast, the plot having little focus, characters not having arcs (and the arcs that exist are executed terribly), and no themes that are interestingly explored.

The fondness for the prequels as of late has gone from ironic to genuine and I have no idea why.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Letterboxd

A new hope : 4.3/5
Empire strikes back : 4.8/5
Return of the Jedi: 4/5
Phantom Menace 2.6/5
AOTC: 2.5/5
Revenge of the Sith: 3.2/5
Force Awakens : 3.8/5
The last Jedi: 3.5/5

It's the worst movie after the prequels. It's quite hard to review bomb letterboxd

They mention Letterboxd in the article. The site admits that they've been reviewed bombed as well since Ghostbusters, although not in the same level, but will actually start limiting reviews just to prevent future review-bombings at the same level as RT and IMDb.