• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Starting on May 23, users can opt-in to get their rating and review "verified" if they purchased their movie ticket on Fandango, the parent of Rotten Tomatoes. If a moviegoer purchased their ticket through Fandango, they will receive a push notification after their showing ends and will then be able to review the film directly in the Fandango app. The review will then be posted on the movie's Rotten Tomatoes page.

As of Thursday, the audience score made up of verified reviews will be displayed next the movie title in the Fandango app, alongside the film's critical freshness rating.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-1213036?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Thoughts? I doubt many people will bother with this, really.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
interesting

seems like there are kind of a lot of hoops to jump through, not sure it's going to be all that popular

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good.

Too bad RT has lost a lot of credibility for me on the critic side of things. Seriously, they accept podcast "reviews" now, despite the fact that they stray off topic and hardly even talk about the film.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watch these dipshits just pay for a ticket anyway and not bother to go just so they can keep doing what they're doing.

Also, I await the anti-RT contingent on this board to swarm this thread with more conspiracy theories about how this is being done to placate Disney and keep people from learning the TRUTH about how shit movies like TLJ and Captain Marvel actually are.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
....if they purchased their movie ticket on Fandango, the parent of Rotten Tomatoes.

That's just a TAD BIT self-serving.

They'll verify your review if you buy tickets through their parent company?

Uh... no.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about the audience score so they can do whatever they like.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
If you link your AMC account to Fandango you get the benefits of both services' memberships, as well as access to Fandango's Early Access screenings. There's no good reason not to, especially since Fandango gives you a $5 credit for every 4 tickets you buy.

But that doesn't help me as an A-list member right?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
RT should have done sometrhing earlier instead of pissing on people and saying it is rain

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that doesn't help me as an A-list member right?
You can still get free tickets on A-List through Fandango. They should even count towards Fandango rewards.....though who knows how long that loophole will stay open.

You can at least in theory get 4 free A-List tickets and then get the $5 Fandango credit for buying 4 tickets.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They should just kill audience reviews. We don't need to know what a bunch of dumb rubes think about movies.

Jul 18, 2018
This is just their way to serve the social media audience when people are discussing what films are better and for traction etc...
This isn't meant to serve the general public's opinions on a movie.
Hell they do a poor job informing the general audience what the RT % even mean, people think a movie with a 70% rating means the movie is average, when it's not.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This honestly should be the case for all user reviews. Verify you actually watched or owned the product in question. It's kinda insane people get away with that on a lot of sites.

Aug 1, 2018
....if they purchased their movie ticket on Fandango, the parent of Rotten Tomatoes.

That's just a TAD BIT self-serving.

They'll verify your review if you buy tickets through their parent company?

Uh... no.

My guess would be that it comes down to data access.

They can access customer information from within their own enterprise much easier than trying to get the information from other sites / companies. They could also build a large dataset on their competitors if their competitors allowed them access to something like ticket sales, which would also give them a competitive advantage and that doesn't seem like something any other company would be running to do. So it doesn't really come off as nefarious activity or anything to me.

Nov 30, 2018
Good, though Last Jedi and Captain Marvel wouldn't have gotten exponentially higher scores considering they're both mediocre. Regardless of critic scores.

I'd say low 70s for them.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
We should do the same here. Post receipts before you open your mouths or get a warning. Venom was great!

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Cool, now opinions of non-US movie goers are considered worthless.

I can't see how anyone should be happy with this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, now opinions of non-US movie goers are considered worthless.
User reviews in general are worthless because no one has to verify if they've seen the movie. Which, surely by complete coincidence equals films like Captain Marvel, The Last Jedi, Black Panther, etc. getting review bombed by racist and sexists, and their "i'm not racist/sexist buttttt" allies
This honestly should be the case for all user reviews. Verify you actually watched or owned the product in question.
Facts