• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just more targeted data for the companies. Like they give a shit some random nobodies review-bombed a movie.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It has begun!
bandicam-2019-05-23-21-26-34-523.png

bandicam-2019-05-23-21-26-40-206.png

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's a great idea. The man babies complaining about movies they will never watch will be even more visible, and might even get some to finally shut up.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous. I don't have a problem with verified reviews. I do have a problem with the fact that you have to buy tickets through Fandango in order to have a verified review, which just so happens to be owned by Comcast - which, of course, also owns Rotten Tomatoes.

They don't care about the authenticity of reviews, but they know other people do - so they funnel everyone through their system so they can profit off it.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This is fucking ridiculous. I don't have a problem with verified reviews. I do have a problem with the fact that you have to buy tickets through Fandango in order to have a verified review, which just so happens to be owned by Comcast - which, of course, also owns Rotten Tomatoes.

They don't care about the authenticity of reviews, but they know other people do - so they funnel everyone through their system so they can profit off it.

If they don't own the platform how else do they verify? Aggregates and review percentage are stupid in my mind but this seems like a baby step in the right direction. Review Bombing is such a shitty thing to do on a lot of levels.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

It's not going to be only limited to Fandango.

bandicam-2019-05-24-00-34-15-401.png

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So now the only opinions that matter are those of people who are fine with paying a huge service fee for something they could just buy in person.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So now the only opinions that matter are those of people who are fine with paying a huge service fee for something they could just buy in person.
There are hundreds of other places to share opinions on films that don't cost you anything and don't require you to show a ticket stub.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I don't have an issue with this personally. Plenty of store fronts such as Amazon and Steam have a verified review filter. However, a solution like this is not going to curb review bombing in any significant way. Films like The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel are billion dollar films. Clearly these people already bought their tickets. Also, if they seriously think that trolls would not drop a few bucks on a matinee to qualify as a verified review, they have another thing coming.

Just as an aside, does Fandango have any sort of discount/points system? Here in Canada, Cineplex has SCENE rewards where you can earn points by buying tickets, concessions, etc. They also partner with Scotiabank to offer the SCENE Visa card which gets you 1 point per dollar spent on regular purchases and 5 points per dollar spent if you buy anything at a Cineplex store/cinema. I have this card and what I do is funnel all of my purchases (including rent) through my card to earn SCENE points. I earn at minimum one free Premium/IMAX ticket a month and haven't spent a single dime on a movie ticket in years.

Point is, I feel that people underestimate how dedicated (and stupid) trolls really are.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have an issue with this personally. Plenty of store fronts such as Amazon and Steam have a verified review filter. However, a solution like this is not going to curb review bombing in any significant way. Films like The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel are billion dollar films. Clearly these people already bought their tickets. Also, if they seriously think that trolls would not drop a few bucks on a matinee to qualify as a verified review, they have another thing coming.

Point is, I feel that people underestimate how dedicated (and stupid) trolls really are.

Sure it will, people trying to go around the ticket verification will have to really get themselves involved. Before, you opened up a RT account then give your bad review, and that's as far as your involvement went.

Now, the level of involvement is much higher. Not everyone is going to go through the hassle of buying a ticket just to review bomb. The ones that are dedicated will still do it, but it's no longer as easy as just having an RT account.

I guess we'll find out in a few months when the next movie review-bomb happens. Then we can start comparing the audience score vs verified score.