• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fdbdbdbewsx7.jpg

Star-Wars-RT-scores-2.jpg

After the troll and bot allegations, An explanation was expected from Rotten Tomatoes.

Well,

On Tuesday I spoke at length with Rotten Tomatoes spokesperson Dana Benson regarding the movie ratings site's Audience Score of 55% for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I was curious to know whether there was any merit to conspiracy theories that have circulated in recent days alleging organized vote campaigns to drive down the film's scores from their "proper" levels, and why there is such a big disparity between the mediocre Rotten Tomatoes audience ratings and other, higher critics' and viewers' responses, such as the "A" rating from Cinemascore.

Benson, who is the Vice President of Communications at Fandango, the parent company of Rotten Tomatoes, told me that Fandango and Rotten Tomatoes are fully confident in the ratings and scores for the Star Wars picture. She assured me that Rotten Tomatoes has gone to great lengths to verify their ratings' accuracy and authenticity.

"We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine," Benson said. "They haven't seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that, everything is normal and we don't see any unusual activity. We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films."

Some critics and social media commenters have questioned the gap between the Rotten Tomatoes score and the ratings on other services, highlighting it as proof that there is something amiss with the Rotten Tomatoes numbers. Though Quartz and other outlets have explored how the score may be rigged, the simpler and far more credible explanation is simply that a lot of people don't like the movie.

One widely circulated story about an anonymous individual who runs the Facebook page "Down With Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys" claims that this person created bots to manipulate the Rotten Tomatoes score. But Benson and other company reps I spoke to dismissed such claims as nonsense. Although anyone can post whatever they want on the site in the effort to drive ratings either up or down, Rotten Tomatoes has nearly two decades experience at identifying and controlling for such efforts to push the scores in one direction or another.

I pressed Ms. Benson for her hypothesis, but she chose not to offer a theory as to why the gap between Rotten Tomatoes' critics' reviews and those of fans now stands at 38 percentage points, 93% to 55%.

"I can't explain why there's such a disparity," Benson told me. "How we take this is that people are super passionate about this movie. On the positive side, our site is popular, and it has become an important platform for debate and discussion."

Benson noted that Rotten Tomatoes isn't the only social media platform with such mixed reactions to The Last Jedi, and added, "We've been working around the clock to ensure the numbers are right. Authenticity is very important to us. We have security teams, network teams, database teams who work so hard, it's a little disheartening for them to see people make such [accusatory] claims without knowing the facts.

https://screenrant.com/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-user-score/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...audience-score-is-100-authentic/#62dd63664231

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I have proof that DCEU fans were responsible for the bombing of these review scores due to their Marvel Disney hate. Willing to share it for $500. PM me if interested in the hottest scoop.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was under the scale of attack claimed it would have been much lower. We see that on steam.

Also fact is user impressions are fairly mixed just in ERA. Fact some people cant accept some disagree with their POV is quite sad.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
inb4 "Of course Rotten Tomatoes would attempt to downplay the idea that their rating system could be manipulated"

Oh wait, it's me. I'm saying that.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
..why is this even a thing?

If a user score of a movie is a thing that gets you upset, you're living a blessed life.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The film is decisive more so than TFA.

I was quite disappointed in the film even if I found some moments I liked.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Fans and general audiences just don't like it. Its not bots and its not a 4chan raid.

From what I've seen, critics review the movie as a standalone while everybody else seems to look at the film as part of a trilogy and how it treats the IP as a whole. Critics also seem to focus more on the values of the film and the way its different rather from anything else in Star Wars while the fans and general public could not care less about these things.

Fans were a mistake.

It takes a high IQ to understand TLJ...

Anna

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Judging my all the rants on reddit, youtube, etc. I can see how it's acurrate. It's a very divisive movie.

Oct 25, 2017
If RT filtered out all the 1's and 10's like IMDB the score would be in the mid 7's which itself is a pretty low audience score for a Star Wars movie. At the end of the day, It has an A cinema score, most people who saw it liked it but there are definitely a good amount of people who don't like it and a lot of them are on the internet.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
A good portion of people that saw the movie didn't like it. This is not only shown in this score but everywhere else you go online(which is all we really have to go on besides friends and/or colleagues.) The assertion that they were all bots or a brigade was so silly.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing this movie you know the 50/50 split is accurate.

Only Star Wars fans deal in absolutes.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
That score seems reasonable to me, why did people think it was bots? Just because of the difference from critics?

A lot of people didn't like this movie, and negative views are more likely to be put out there than positive ones that agree with the critic consensus.

And Star Wars is as big as they come, so the number of reviews would have to be absolutely astronomical for them to even start raising flags for me.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dismissive fans of trends... yeah how could ANYONE hate THIS movie that I love? THey must be trolls/bots/hackers/misogynists

DBLO7

Permanently banned for alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i'll just wait to see this for the first time until either:

1. Get's fixed

2. Release complete Director's cut disc (does Disney ever do this???)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I image that people who hate the film would be more motivated to 'hurt' it with a bad user review than the opposite case of loving the film and wanting to help it.

It doesn't mean a ton other that the film being disliked by a subset of its audience.

Nov 1, 2017
A good portion of people that saw the movie didn't like it. This is not only shown in this score but everywhere else you go online(which is all we really have to go on besides friends and/or colleagues.) The assertion that they were all bots or a brigade was so silly.

Then why is the RT audience score the only quantifiable metric that reflects that? All other number-based general audience response metrics (IMDB, Cinemascore, Comtrak) have been extremely positive

Oct 26, 2017
About damn time someone cracked the code because why is the below----
Though Quartz and other outlets have explored how the score may be rigged, the simpler and far more credible explanation is simply that a lot of people don't like the movie.
---so hard to understand?

Oct 25, 2017
Do they actually? Thats stupid, and how do movies get above 9 ratings?

It's not as simple as I said, from their site:

IMDB said:
"IMDb publishes weighted vote averages rather than raw data averages. Various filters are applied to the raw data in order to eliminate and reduce attempts at vote stuffing by people more interested in changing the current rating of a movie than giving their true opinion of it. The exact methods we use will not be disclosed. This should ensure that the policy remains effective. The result is a more accurate vote average."

my opinion if you use raw data your are asking to get brigaded.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I give it a 65/100. The movie has flaws, but 55 is too harsh.

That's not how it works. Rotten Tomatoes is not a star rating. You can only say something is good or bad, above average or below average, rotten or fresh. It means 55% of people liked it, not that they gave it an average rating of 55%.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I mean there is nothing unsual about bots changing the RT score when it happens with so many super hero movies.

The RT user review isn't accurate. Other metrics show something completely different. And as we continue to get BO results, maybe people will finally see that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people didn't like this movie, and negative views are more likely to be put out there than positive ones that agree with the critic consensus.

Normally that is the case but in this situation the people that liked it are hyperbolic and vitriolic also. Their is very high intensity on both sides of this discussion.

2th

Oct 27, 2017
So this is literally the first time in my life I've been on the side saying "wtf are people talking about? I liked the movie." It is really weird to see. I don't think TLJ deserves a 55 in the slightest. Hell, I'd put it in my #4 spot after the OT Nd before the PT.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works. Rotten Tomatoes is not a star rating. You can only say something is good or bad, above average or below average, rotten or fresh. It means 55% of people liked it, not that they gave it an average rating of 55%.

Oh, I see. So that means 45% of the viewers who voted on RT didn't like it. Doesn't sound too far fetched.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a convincing argument?
They haven't seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that...

It's like saying there was nothing unusual about the public comments for Net Neutrality...except that we got about 2 million more than we expected.