• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 holds up better than the third game. It tries to do its own thing where the latter is a best of kind of deal but is really bland and guided.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4's fundamental changes to moment-to-moment gameplay (i.e the shooting) make it a more enjoyable experience overall compared to FO3 and NV. Not to say there weren't a lot of negative changes in other departments, but this one I feel is good, and is a reason why the New Vegas fan remake in FO4 excites me.

Last edited:

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Also, I don't mind buying stuff on the Epic Game's Store. Yeah, it's missing a bunch of cool stuff from steam like cloud saves and big picture mode, but it will improve over the time. I don't see the exclusivity thing as bad and why all the fuzz about it. I'd rather buy it on Epic's than buying on Origin.

This.

Also, FF XIV, I really enjoyed the first quests, fates and dungeons of A Realm Reborn, everyone told me I was gonna be bored to death. Gotta admit, Heavensward and Stormblood are much better, but that doesn't mean ARR is bad.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Order 1886 was much better than the shitstorm & dog piling would have you believe, and I really hope Sony give the IP another chance.

Uncharted 1 wasn't lambasted, but it was definitely rough as well - but look at the series has become for Sony now. The Order's world has a huge amount of potential and it deserve sequels.

Couldn't agree more.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII is a game frequently misunderstood by people who either hated that it wasn't VII or have blurry memories of the last time they played it 20 years ago. Yes it has flaws and I'm fine with people that legitimately have issues, but 90% of the criticism comes from people who shit on stuff that never happened then when they get called out go "Oh I haven't played it since 1999 so my memory's hazy but yeah it sucks". That shit infuriates me.

Up until the latest revision in Arcade Edition, the fight money system in SF5 was absolutely amazing. Bought nearly a dozen DLC characters without spending a dime.

Yep, it really was a great system that Capcom absolutely ruined once they realised that new AE players would be getting a fucking shit ton of FM from all the character stories and character levels and proceeded to completely nerf it for everyone. But yeah, FM from 2016 to 2017 was great and it's a shame most people pain the whole system as a failure when it's only been awful for the past year or so.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Top down Isometric is the best viewing angle and well made games with this perspective are the most fun.

From RC Pro Am days as a youth to the two very best games on the PS3 - Dead Nation and Renegade Ops, it sucks that most games this gen are either 2D side scrollers or fully top down 2D, or full 3D ... there has been a severe lack of great isometric 2d top down games this gen, or at least I've missed them if they exist. Sometimes feels like I'm the only one that adores that perspective.

Seriously go play Renegade Ops if you can.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Oh, forgot: F3AR is totally fun in co-op and I liked the dumb way they ended the story.
Me and my SO played it through and we had insane amount of fun. That Mech boss was fucking awful but other than that it's a VERY decent co-op shooter. Some very cool ideas for co-op are here.

Days Gone has excellently written and acted characters and is one of the very best games this year, if not my favorite one thus far.
I second this. Story and there characters are very memorable and writing is top notch.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Now THIS is what I call a controversial positive take. What made it so good for you?
It's a history game! Except it's not about war but instead the most influence pop culture force of the the 1960s.
Of course it's a bit fast and loose with the details (Sorry Billy Preston) but I can't think of any other video game
that follows real world events so closely. You're on the Ed Sullivan show NOT because it was popular or even expected,
but because it was accurate. It's a shame we don't see this more often.

So yeah, more biography games would be rad.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario: Color Splash has my favorite writing and music in the series. If it had a proper battle system it would probably be my favorite Paper Mario game

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Prey 2017 is one of the best games this gen.
CTR is better than Mario Kart.
Sekiro has arguably the best combat system ever.
Jak II is phenomenal.

There I think that's it:)

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Fallout-4-Sanctuary-Castle.jpg

Fallout 4 is great for adding the Settlement system - a fully featured, rich and engaging way of playing an RPG series (renowned for conflict and violence) in a completely peaceful way where you level up by providing shelter for people and rebuilding a semblance of civilization. It's so well implemented you can build your character entirely around this playstyle. It's something AAA games need more of.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Positive controversial opinions huh?

*Cracks knuckles*

Pokémon Sword and Shield removing most of the Pokémon is fine. I had 70 Pokémon by the time I finished Sun and Moons story and I was already sick of collecting the proceedingly less original and interesting bastards by the 40th.

I always prefer a two weapon system over a weapon wheel. Weapon wheels are incredibly clunky and never feel good. I wish it would make a comeback ala Last of Us where you can switch between selectable weapons to equip at a time. I'm glad games are still doing them.

Mass Effect 3 is one of, if not the, best 3rd person shooters around.

I like when I can customise a class so far that it becomes a completely different class. Like how in Battlefront 2 you can turn the officer into a sniper, and the sniper class into a close quarters skirmisher.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I really enjoyed the water levels in Mario as a kid.

I had (and still have) a huge love for the ocean so I guess I just enjoyed the feeling of "exploring" underwater.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably ERA exclusive, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is fucking excellent, and the reviews and previews were on point. It is better than its prequel and ranks as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, despite the controls not being a major improvement over past R* games.

Max Payne 3 is an excellent and fresh take on the property. The Housers did the right thing by not trying to emulate Lake's unique voice and approaching it with a more revisionist angle.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably ERA exclusive, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is fucking excellent, and the reviews and previews were on point. It is better than its prequel and ranks as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, despite the controls not being a major improvement over past R* games.

Max Payne 3 is an excellent and fresh take on the property. The Housers did the right thing by not trying to emulate Lake's unique voice and approaching it with a more revisionist angle.

giphy.gif

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BOTW and RDR2 are the two highest-rated games of the generation and they both deserve that distinction.

I've been gaming for forty years and they are two of the best games I have ever played.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Spitit Tracks > A Link Between Worlds.

ST was very ambitious for DS game had beautiful music, good puzzles and story, another WW sequel would had been much better for 3DS 😌

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Arkham Origins is the best Arkham game.
Mass Effect 1 is the best ME.
RDR2 feels great to play.
"Walking simulators" are valid video games, and many of them are great ones at that.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I hate zombies, like I really hate them, but Dead Rising, Dying Light, and Days Gone were still good even with them.

There aren't really bad games anymore. The worst games I've played the last two generations would even get into the worst 25 games I played on the PS one

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 is fun to play
THANK YOU!

as for my own opinions.....

Toy Story 2 on PS1 is the best platformer on the system.
fortnite is actually pretty good (specially STW) and people give it too much crap.
Watch dogs 1 wasn't really as bad as people make it to be.
NMS was ok. (now it seems to be actually really good)
Deus Ex HR is better than the original Deus Ex.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Resident Evil 6 is my best coop experience ever in a video game and love the game for that!

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 is one of the greatest games of all time. No other game has had payoffs like that game. Too many scenes are just downright perfect. Also the absurdity of certain scenes just makes the game so special to me. I think many wanted a gameplay centric mgs but this ones gameplay is great eventhough there is very little of it. I just found the story so enthralling that the cutscenes were worth it. Also Super Mario 3D world is the best platformer ever made :)

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Every decision Infinity Ward made in Modern Warfare 2 was the right one.

Secondary shotguns, Stopping Power to balance Cold Blooded, Making every gun good, Killstreaks that decimate the other team.

Everything balances out in its own weird way when everything is extremely lethal.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I enjoyed Sonic '06

I even finished it, thought the ending was epic, and His World is probably my second favorite Sonic song.

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed Sonic '06

I even finished it, thought the ending was epic, and His World is probably my second favorite Sonic song.
THANK YOU!

Legitimately I got a lot of fun out of Sonic 06. It's not a great game and sure there's plenty I don't like. But you know what? There's plenty I do. I've finished this game twice and I'm glad I did. It was worth playing. There are worse Sonic games.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Silent Hill 2 is such a genius masterpiece that even people who think it is good don't understand how good it actually is.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
FFXV is one of the best Final Fantasy games. Like, legit top 3 on the franchise.
Halo: Reach is the best Halo

I no longer feel alone in this cruel, cruel world.

EA's Syndicate reboot is a worthy successor to the Bullfrog games. I think the genre change from Strategy game to FPS was too much of a shift for series diehards, and I think its unfairly criticized simply because of a perceived attempt to broaden its appeal at the expense of betraying its "roots".