• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
THANK YOU!

as for my own opinions.....

Toy Story 2 on PS1 is the best platformer on the system.
fortnite is actually pretty good (specially STW) and people give it too much crap.
Watch dogs 1 wasn't really as bad as people make it to be.
NMS was ok. (now it seems to be actually really good)
Deus Ex HR is better than the original Deus Ex.
Toy Story 2 is fantastic. It's not my favourite platformer on the PS1, but it is my favourite platformer on the system with that open structure. Oh, and I like it more than Mario 64.

Watch Dogs 1 wasn't that bad? Oh please. IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING! Watch Dogs 1 was top tier one of the most underrated games of the gen. Way better than the sequel. People decided they hated WD1 before they even played it. The downgrade shit really fucked this game over.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish QTEs would be included in more games(that make sense) like they used. They help me stay engaged in the story progress wise and feel satisfying to a similar extent controlling your character real time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Fallout 4's fundamental changes to moment-to-moment gameplay (i.e the shooting) make it a more enjoyable experience overall compared to FO3 and NV. Not to say there weren't a lot of negative changes in other departments, but this one I feel is good, and is a reason why the New Vegas fan remake in FO4 excites me.
Was anybody seriously arguing this? Every FO4 criticism I have has zero to do with its core moment to moment gameplay. It's like... literally everything else that suffers.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The Beatles Rock Band is one of the greatest video games ever made. And I don't just mean that sort of vague general praise kind of way. I'm talking top 10 of last gen. Top 100 of all time. It deserved much better than it got.
Not sure if I'd go quite so far as to say it's one of the GOATs in general, but in terms of music games, it's a top 5 for me. Frankly, I was shocked by the quality of it and how much care went into everything about it. It taught me a lot about not just the Beatles but gave me a whole new appreciation for their music. It's my most played version of RB outside of RB2.

Oct 28, 2017
GTA IV is not only Rockstar's best game, but one of the best games ever made.
It's a great game. It does a lot of things better than GTA V. GTA IV is a game that I appreciate way more now than I did when it was new. Back then I was as disappointed as anyone coming from San Andreas, but over time I've grown to really appreciate the things the game did and how it moved open world games forward.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed original is the best AC game

Dragon Age Inquisition is great, so is Mass Effect Andromeda

Resident Evil 5
is brilliant and for me it's better than Resident Evil 4

Gears of War 4
is one of the best Gears games( close second to Gears of War 2 )

Crackdown 3
is really good and best in the series

Final Fantasy XV
and XIII are amazing

Watch Dogs
is awesome, so is it's protagonist, Aiden Pearce

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
999 is quite possibly the greatest story ever told in video game history*

* of the games I've played. It's just the mix of interactiveness, (is that a word?), characters, art, innovation, etc. Wish I could erase my memory tbhhhh

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AM2R was incredible and much better than the 3DS Remake. AM2R also continued to get better thanks to fan updates to the game.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I really like short games. I'll take a 3-8 hour story over a 40 hour one any day of the week. Part of this might just be me getting older and having less time for games, but I think part of it is me just being able to detect bloat/padding when I see it. Some things are

Whacked! was among my favourite games on the original Xbox and was a ton of fun in the beta test and original days of Xbox Live.

Destiny's worldbuilding and overall visual design is amongst the best the gaming industry has ever seen. The level of thoughtfulness and effort put into it really does make you believe they were prepared for a 10-year franchise out of the gate.

Joy Ride Turbo is among the best kart racing games ever made, in part due to it's stellar representation of classic car archetypes, and in part due to the unique Stunt Parks full of collectibles included in the game, which I feel should be in every kart racing game.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Burnout Paradise remains largely underappreciated as it not only laid the groundwork for open world racing games but it also has one of the best open worlds in relation to the gameplay I've ever played.

Mark Brown describes this very well in a video (that I will borrow most of my points from) where he compares Mirror's Edge: Catalyst's failings in its open world to Burnout Paradise's, which unlike Catalyst, takes full advantage of the gameplay and never takes you out of it.

The biggest failing of Catalyst's world is that is that it isn't memorable. There's no real recognizable landmarks or locations that make it easy for you to remember specific routes or your general place in the world which makes navigating it an issue at times. Too many times your movement is interrupted by the paths either only being accessible by diverting your current route or you run into whatever object in placed in the map. The best level designs in Catalyst take place outside of its world, which defeat the purpose in the end. Then there's the collectables and smaller side missions that both stop you dead in your tracks and are placed in what feels like random places throughout the world, once again diverting your flow of movement and having you stop to watch a confirm animation.

These problems plague many open world games. From unmemorable (and uninteresting) worlds, collectables that are both randomly placed and have little to do within context of the game's world, to just flat out not building a space suited for the gameplay. One of my most disappointing games in recent years was State of Decay 2. The world is as boring as it gets and feels soulless. No part of it feels like a place but instead a map with stuff placed on it made open for the sake of it. I enjoyed the first game a great deal but SoD2 does nothing with the world it is set in.

Burnout Paradise, however, is made around the gameplay. As explained in the video, everything you do, you do continuing your path. You're never pulled off the path you want to travel and are never taken out of the world. All events are activated by interacting with the world and kick off practically instantly which end at specific, recognizable landmarks that help you become familiar to the world itself. You'll soon learn where the Wildcat's Baseball Stadium is and how best to the Crystal Summit Observatory mostly by playing enough events that you learn the best roads to take. That, or, you find new paths and shortcuts though the collectables. Every billboard, smashgate, and jump are all placed on the roads and paths you're already taking or can take if you find your way there. Once again, something that helps you learn the game's world while being something to check off.

That's not even mentioning that street signs light up to indicate turns during races, unlockable cars that become part of the world and have to be taken down to obtain, or that time trials and leaderboards are able to be challenged right there on each street, like with the newest addition, Showtime. I know this is big negative with many Burnout fans but I actually love it. Yes, Crash Mode will always be one of the best modes in a game but with Showtime, you never leave the game's world and it becomes the mode itself. I don't see how Crash Mode would work without taking you out into more menus. Showtime basically sllows you to create your own Crash Mode and it rules.

When you look at open world racing games today, it's hard, at least for me, to not think of Burnout Paradise and what they attempted back in 2008. The game was bashed for going open world but what Criterion did basically laid the future where open world racers are king. Whatever your favorite is, I have a good bet something about it was influenced by this game. I adored Paradise back then and still hold it in high regard now because I fully believe it was ahead of the genre and will never forgive EA for letting the series die because of it.

I'll admit it is pretty late and I have no idea if I've worded this the way I wanted to but hopefully the video helps explain things much better than I can, lol.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I love these threads!

Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the best stealth games ever made if you play it on the highest difficulty without assists.
It's a really really good game!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda has the best combat of the franchise

ARMS has the coolest original character designs from a Nintendo game this generation and could have supported a stronger game

Accessibility strengthens gaming more than a lack of options does

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
I'm certainly not the only one, but I absolutely love tank controls and fixed camera angles.

I really wish there were more games using those.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic is still a good series with a lot of potential.

Adventure 1 and 2 are still some of my favorite games in the franchise.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I loved and preferred the open world design of Jak 2/3 compared to 1. Especially as a kid (and still do).

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The steel on bone mechanic in Ninja Gaiden 3 is a simple instakill move that works on multiple enemies and doesn't add anything relevant to the game's combat system, but damn it's satisfying. Dodge a grab and cut them down one by one. The brief stop and go in the animation really gives the feeling of cutting through something solid. I would like to see a better version of it in a new NG game.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I will always use these threads to say that Castlevania Judgment was actually pretty great.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Online is actually kinda brilliant.

I hate GTA Online, really hate it, I think it's a terrible multiplayer game. That doesn't mean it doesn't have its moments of greatness and a lot of fun can be had, but I think it's a terribly designed and executed multiplayer game, but because of the GTA brand and the amount of effort that Rockstar puts into their singleplayer games, it piggy backs on all of that which makes it still popular and enjoyable for some people. I was prepared to hate Red Dead Online. When they first announced it, I was ready to shit on it, I think I did shit on it in the first thread after it got revealed, I was ready to dump on that game. I joined the beta or w/e and my bias was fulfilled, it was shit.

But I gave it a second chance about a month ago, kinda randomly, I had finished the single player, I thought the single player was the best game I'd played in years, and one of the most fulfilling gaming experiences I've ever had, and I decided ... y'know ... I hate GTA Online, but I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and I think there's enough here where I might enjoy myself. And, honest to goodness, I think the game is kinda brilliant. Flawed in many ways, for sure, some grindiness too, but... I think it does a great job of capturing what's fun about "Red Dead After Game," the missions are actually pretty good, it's not as convoluted and bull shit as GTA Online, the community is shockingly very good... there's not many griefers, not many assholes, 90% of the time strangers in the world aren't assholes it's amazijng... and 5% of the time they're actually awesome. One night, a group of super high level posse took me under their wing and I rode with them for like 3 hours doing missions and bounties, and random shit, and it was amazing. This would have never happened in GTA Online -- they would have just stood around griefing me for hours (or, realistically, 5 minutes, because I would have quit the game). The recent 'Frontier Pursuits' stuff gives you a tooonnnn of collectibles, ambient side quests, and pointless / meaningful shit to do, and the main online story mode is actually really good, surprisingly fun, and also easy to complete with random players (good luck doing anything with random players in GTA Online).

I still think there's plenty of time for Rockstar to ruin the game. THey'll introduce flying horses with lazer rockets soon for $9000 gold, when their next shareholder meeting is coming up, but until then, Red Dead Online is kinda brilliant and I find myself wanting to play it all the time.

Last edited:

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
How so? The two gameplay styles clashed with each other, there was no real direction. I get what they were going for with the action focus, but it feels shallow and most times irresponsive
I'm in the same boat. I loved Other M. Metroid is my favorite series, so I'm a little biased, but I 100% that game. Most of the criticism is around the ham-fisted story, which I agree is trash. But it's a 2D Metroid with a lot of fantastic moments.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Ninja Theory is my favorite Western action game developer; I really love Enslaved and DmC. The style of DmC in particular was so cool.
Star Fox assault is the best starfox game, and was a great direction for the series to continue in rather than the crappy games we got since.
This is a good opinion and I hope we someday get more Assault/a proper sequel to Assault.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The Witcher 3 combat is fun. It let me cancel attacks, works well with lock-on and without it, looks badass and is easy to learn and control. Not really challenging, but fun.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Fire Emblem Fates is one of the best FE games and it did the multiple route thing way better than Three Houses.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is excellent. I need not compare it to what came before or after it in order to judge it. It stands in its own as an extremely engaging and beautiful game with some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
The combat system in Castlevania LOS2 is excellent, and better than some current games in the market.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is one of the greatest JRPGs of the previous generation. It fixed the flaws/lacking aspects of the OG XIII combat system (at least functionally if not quite in offering a fun, interesting cast of playable characters since all but two are captured monsters) and while the writing can be cringe, it has a fun villain and a story that, despite being a huge retcon/asspull in regards to continuation from the first XIII and full of some cray-cray stuff, is still decently interesting outside of a few aspects (Toriyama's waifu obsession, certain non-hero we shall not name). It's also somewhat reminiscent of Chrono Trigger in its time-hopping structure, which I found mostly well designed & executed.

Plus the OST has tons of great tracks.

It's just too bad Lightning Returns didn't stick the landing because XIII-2 set up a really out-there but still potentially interesting premise.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brutal Legend is one of the best games of the x360/PS3 era. I loved everything about it even when the expectation was that it was gonna be a Zelda or God of War type of game.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the arcade-like nature of Parasite Eve: 3rd Birthday. It was fun to jump around to different bodies, target weak spots, and fuse skills together to get stronger builds.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
here are my extremely positive takes:

- Steam fanboys freaking out over EGS is overblown but it comes from a real place of loving PC gaming and how unique it's been over previous decades

- Sports games are almost always really fun experiences, especially to play with friends

- It's so so difficult to make a modern AAA game that I'm amazed most games are able to run at all, even if there are minor technical hiccups

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Gameplay isn't about the buttons you push and that is meaningful.

Contextualization Is what makes choices matter, not necessarily branching story paths.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Metal Gear Solid V is one of the best games of recent years. Which is becoming more controversial around here.

It's Kojima apologising for MGS4(neogaf GOTY winner) where his main priority seemed to be wrapping everything up in an unsatisfying fashion because he felt obliged to, with half realised gameplay that didn't quite work and an awful structure. MGS5 was the opposite, less was more with the story and more was more with the gameplay, achieving what he set out to with the weird half-linear/half open world gameplay of MGS4. Yes, the second half was clearly rushed. Yes, Quiet is (mostly) stupid. Doesn't matter. Despite the threadbare approach to plot, some scenes have the emotional weight that other story focused games would kill to have.