• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When talking about video games, we often encounter the negative or positive takes that are often agreed with, like God of War being a great game, or Anthem being really bad.

But what about the positive takes that are controversial, like "I think Anthem is a great game" or "the weapon degradation system in BOTW was amazing"? Plenty of people have them, but not many get to share them.

So, what's your POSITIVE controversial game opinion?

Feel free to discuss the opinions too, we all want to know why you think the way you do.

Round 3 thread for inspiration / examples

www.resetera.com

(Round 3) What is a POSITIVE controversial game opinion you hold?

In Round 2 of the thread series, there were some fresh takes. It's been a few months AND E3 went by, which means its the perfect time for a thread sequel. Feel free to discuss those controversial opinions as well, but DO NOT ATTACK FELLOW COMMUNITY MEMBERS BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM. My...

Mine -

I do actually think the weapon degradation system in BOTW is amazing. I really hated it in the beginning, but as I've adjusted my perspective, I've come to enjoy the added difficulty that it brings.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
persona 5 is an inspiring game for a young person playing it.

people here often look at games from the lens of an adult who is cynical

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo: Combat Evolved is a masterpiece, even with the repeated levels and re-used assets. The Library is far from the worst Halo level and is a pretty fun endurance test evocative of survival modes like Firefight and Horde, which is perfect for what kind of emotion the game wants you to feel in that moment.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda is an okay game that got memed to irrelevance due to bad animations.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Proper turn based combat is better than action based combat 90% of the time.

Stylized graphics beat things leaning closer to realism.

My most controversial one though is probably that XB2 has a good story even if it really doesn't commit to it until the second half (chapter 5 onwards).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a good game with a lot of innovative building mechanics. Had it not been tied to the expectations of the Banjo franchise, I think it would've been much more appreciated.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Final Fantasy X-2 is a better game than X.

If I had to pick one to replay I'll always pick X-2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've shared this one before, but here it is again

Splinter Cell: Conviction could have been a rare series ender that was able to successfully transition from a stealth action game to an action game with stealth mechanics had they not continued and butchered the series with Blacklist. It is also the second best Splinter Cell game in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Operation Racoon City was a really fun game.
+1. I had a blast playing it.

I've shared this one before, but here it is again

Splinter Cell: Conviction could have been a rare series ender that was able to successfully transition from a stealth action game to an action game with stealth mechanics had they not continued and butchered the series with Blacklist. It is also the second best Splinter Cell game in the series.
I loved the black and white transitions.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a good game with a lot of innovative building mechanics. Had it not been tied to the expectations of the Banjo franchise, I think it would've been much more appreciated.

I like nuts and bolts too but i think it was foolish to slap banjo over it, specially with all the expectations on a third game. It's not rare wasnt experimenting with new IPs at the time. But maybe microsoft was still in "deny everything rare" mode and this was the only way to get it out of the door i guess.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Halo 4 was a product of it's time and Halo 5 was an evolution of that product and I think that both games are fantastic shooters that didn't get the credit they deserved. Playing Halo 4's multiplayer today feels way better than Halo 3's multiplayer and Halo 5's multiplayer really stomps all over most arena multiplayer shooters in general.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got two:

I enjoy Kingdom Heart's story and lore. The zaniness and twistiness of what the story tries to pull off is part of the enjoyment for me

Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is a great game. It's not the game we expected, nor is it the best representation of the BK series, but the gameplay of building vehicles and beating a variety of challenges with them is pretty great

Oct 24, 2019
1. Ubisoft and Bethesda are two of the best publishers in the industry.

2. We need *more* remakes, not fewer, because:
-They can potentially add jobs to the industry through the formation of studios dedicated solely to remakes
-They can revive classic games and are a great way to preserve them
-They can take deeply flawed games, fix the issues, and finally deliver the experience the developers intended

3. Luigi is better than Mario

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got another one

Halo Reach is still the best Halo game, simply because it is the only Halo game where you are mortal.

SWAT with DMRs is still the best MP experience.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
-I didn't mind the injury and food systems in MGS3.

-The bad writing in Alan Wake enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

-Bioshock infinite is the best one.

-Skyrim is actually one of the greatest games of all time.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best game in the Xeno series.
The above.

Also, there's little cause for lost faith in Bioware and Bethesda. Their failures are drops in the pond and I'm no less eager to see what they do next. I am sure they will adapt.

EA and Blizzard are probably no better or worse than the market standard in terms of practices, even if that standard is very low. The focus on them is opportunistic and performative, and there is no shame in continuing to patronize them.

Sonic is and has been a fairly strong franchise for its entire run, regardless of occasions on which it may have spiked upwards or downwards.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate WB Games for creating high quality AAA games based on great franchises like DC and Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
bionic-commando-rearmed-pc-cover-www.ovagamespc.com.jpg

Bionic Commando: Re-Armed may be the best remake ever made.

They nailed everything that was great about the NES classic, updated the visuals and gameplay and kept plenty of 80's camp.

PERFECT.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Given the technical limitations of the PC-8801, I think Super Mario Bros. Special, developed by Hudson and Nintendo and published by Hudson in 1986, is a good game. A very frustrating game considering its high difficulty level (mostly due to the lack of scrolling), but at the same time it has all new levels, new enemies and new power-ups. Definitely worth a try if you are interested in official Super Mario games on non-Nintendo hardware.

smbs_1h8kba.png
smbs_2xoj9i.png

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
EA is a pretty good company that treats their employees fairly well.
I agree on the employee part, know some guys who worked some cycles in a couple of sport games for them, and they had a positive experience.

For me:
Andromeda.
Not as bad as people say, gameplay wise (both rpg and combat) is great...The lack of a solid direction and memes were it's biggest downfall.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed Yooka-Laylee more than Banjo-Kazooie. I'm happy the crew is having more success with the Impossible Lair.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Ghost Recon Wildlands is the best Ubisoft open world game. It's also the best game of the last 5 years. You gotta go into the options and turn a lot of the HUD features off though

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the technical limitations of the PC-8801, I think Super Mario Bros. Special, developed by Hudson and Nintendo and published by Hudson in 1986, is a good game. A very frustrating game considering its high difficulty level (mostly due to the lack of scrolling), but at the same time it has all new levels, new enemies and new power-ups. Definitely worth a try if you are interested in official Super Mario games on non-Nintendo hardware.

smbs_1h8kba.png
smbs_2xoj9i.png
I want to give this an honest shot some day. Same with all those single screenified MSX games.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is not only a fantastic game and one of the best of 2019, but the combat is amazing and rewarding on Grandmaster.