• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Enter the Matrix is a lot of fun if you use all of the moves and game mechanics to your advantage (such as the first person mode to auto-aim). It was super ambitious for its time, and despite it being rough around the edges, is almost a masterpiece imo.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Toe Jam and Earl 2 is a great game that has huge levels for its time and a big emphasis on exploration with tons of secrets that surprise even seasoned players. The music's great, the enemy design is gloriously bizarre and the co-op aspect was superb for its time. It's biggest fault was the floaty swimming controls (while it did have floaty jump controls, it's not really important as the platforming is not meant to be challenging).

Also, the creators went on to form a little known company named Naughty Dog...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
The Neo Geo Mini is a great little piece of hardware. It's super cute, the built in screen is a nice option, and both the American and Japanese game selection is solid. I had a ton of fun exploring it and catching up on a batch of games I wasn't exposed to much growing up. One of my favorite gaming experiences of the last year.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts' story is so enjoyable to dig into and follow and I wouldn't have it any other way

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i got one for y'all

"X is better than Y" isn't a positive opinion, it's just dunking on Y using the game you like more than it

and now for real

Color Splash is a damn great paper mario game full of charm, fantastic writing, and wall to wall bangers

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Adding RPG/level-up Mechanics to games generally makes them more satisfying to play (a lot of people seem to hate if they're "shoehorned" in like God of War)

Turn-Based RPGs deserve big budgets just like their action/adventure counterparts

Nov 4, 2017
Death Stranding is one of the defining games of the generation, on the same stratum as the likes of Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild, and deserves to be the GotY for 2019.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
The story in Final Fantasy XIII was completely understandable and enjoyable without consulting the datalog. The problem with the datalog was rather that it sometimes explained things too early and too clearly, almost going into spoiler territory. Final Fantasy stories often have mysterious elements that leave the player guessing for some part of the game, which makes for satisfying reveals later. That's part of the charm, not a flaw!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hotel Mario is actually a legitimately fun game (inherent CD-i control awkwardness aside) but people just shit on it because of the dumb ghetto cutscenes.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the indie game boom, the 2010s is an insanely strong decade for video games, if not the strongest yet.

Pokémon Sword and Shield's Pokémon designs are some of the greatest we've seen yet, and I'll be very salty if James Turner won't return as art director in future games.

Weapon durability in BotW is fine and doesn't detract from the game at all, provided you're not playing on Hero mode.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I like fetch quests if the core gameplay is fun.

L3 and R3 are good buttons.

Dark Souls 2 is still great.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Shadowrun 2007 is one of the finest shooters ever created. The maps flowed perfectly, the gunplay was crisp, and the mixture of magic and tech was perfectly balanced. If it would have launched in 2019, it'd be one of the most popular games out there.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This point in time is, hands down, the best time to be interested in video games. The sheer breadth of games to play compared to any other era makes it a complete non-argument.

I could quit my job tomorrow and play games all day, every day and still never be able to catch up and play every notable release. And no matter what niche you're interested in, chances are you're being pretty well catered to at the moment (obviously there will always be exceptions to this).

Add on top of that services like Gamepass, PS+/XBL Gold free games, even Nintendo's NES/SNES games service and it's pretty clear that there's not really any argument to be had.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
Kingdom Hearts III was a perfectly fine KH game and I enjoyed having closure to a piece of my childhood.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The core mechanics of PN.03 are a fascinating translation of 2-d shmups to 3-d space and I wish more games tried to achieve that feeling.

(as in, it's all about precision dodging and I-frame canceling of enemy attack patterns)

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Batman: Arkham Origins is a great game and better than Arkham City and Arkham Knight. WB Montreal are better writers and storytellers than Rocksteady. In my opinion, WB Montreal could very easily make the greatest Batman game of all time with the right amount of dev time and a good development cycle. Which they've had 3+ years for their new Batman game so I have hope.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's one.

Not only is Saints Row the 3rd the best game of its type, I also truly believe it was one of the best games of its generation and it's Top five for me when we do our Decade lists.

Oct 25, 2017
Vagrant Story's gameplay is fantastic and the best part of an absolutely amazing package. I feel like even among fans of the game a lot of people don't really enjoy actually playing it, just the atmosphere, story and music. But I think it's a brilliant game that just does a horrible job explaining itself. If someone tells you the basics of how the weapons work, it's an awesome challenge.

Last edited:

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ARMS is proof there that god loves us and is one of the best fighting games of the last 10 years.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA4 was an amazing game with a great story and characters and the fact GTA5 was so successful and applauded despite having neither makes me think we don't deserve games like 4.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Splatoon is Nintendos best multiplayer franchise. Some day they will make a split screen 4 player coop version and the world will understand.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Review sites should make better use of their point scales, because a lot of games that have noticeable issues often overcome them to be really enjoyable experiences. A lot of 70s should probably be 60s, but those games are still worth playing.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Split/Second is the best Arcade Racer released since Burnout 3 and the fact that it was ignored is a Travesty

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Bionic Commando 2009 is an incredible game that commits to its unusual core mechanic in an impressively unapologetic way.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I've said this elsewhere, but it's especially relevant here: Final Fantasy XIII is, despite its flaws, a great game. A great game.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is also a great game and has one of the series' best soundtracks to date.

And this last one isn't as controversial today as it was in the '90s and 2000s, but (Mega Man) X is much, much, much cooler and just better all around than Zero in every way. Always has been!

Last edited: