• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Aside from the boss re-use (and them being qte's) The Order 1886 is actually a pretty good franchise opener/prologue, always felt the hate that game got was a bit overblown. I do hope we can actually see another game in the franchise.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'm actually curious how people will feel about this one.

The Battle Network games are better than the mainline Megaman series.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Call it fan service if you will, but the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 is a truly fantastic ending to the series.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
- The DualShock 2 is the best DualShock controller and it honestly isn't even close.
- Fallout 76 is actually a really great game for what it is, and most of the hatred of the game (outside of the quickly fixed broken launch) was due to a hate bandwagon started by people hurt that it wasn't a mainline fallout game
- The Xbox exclusive games this generation have all been extremely fun games (even Crackdown 3 was pretty fun) and the whole "Xbox doesn't have exclusives" is over played and not really true
- Call of Duty has actually stayed consistently good during the "drought" of "quality" COD games.
- With the GameCube controller adapter and an easy softmod the Wii U is the best Nintendo console made because it can play 3 generations of Nintendo games natively and several more games can be added with virtual console injections.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming has not gone downhill since the SNES era, nor since the PS2 era. Despite a valid laundry list of complaints: patches, microtransactions, etc, gaming is still, overall, better than ever.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Resident Evil 6 is fucking awesome, at least from a gameplay perspective. The campaign itself however varies in quality.

AC 3 is a fantastic game and so is the story line Ubisoft conjured up for the AC games with the space alien forerunners of humanity.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jedi: Fallen Order is not only the best SW game to date in terms of lightsaber combat it's a better game than Sekiro because of accessibility options.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The Witchers 3s combat was enjoyable.

Mass Effect Andromeda was pretty good, albiet not as good as the original trilogy.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a great game.

Watch Dogs 1 was as good, if not better than 2.

World of Warcraft is still fun.

toejam and earl panic on funkotron was good.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Echoing that weapon degradation in Breath of the Wild made it far more engaging and did successfully cause me to learn way more creative combat engagement tactics that I would typically never dive into in other games if I had a permanent, reliable set of combat tools. And it did this all without instruction, often making me feel like I was discovering and developing these tactics by my own creativity. Very satisfying.

While I find faults that are worth being loud about in this day and age of games, I think the industry is more varied and generally offering a range of satisfying experience far greater than any other time in gaming history, and therefore it is a better time to play games than ever before. I feel like this a positive but controversial opinion as many seem to have thought 2019 was an off year, and some even seem to vocally express that it's an entirely off generation right now too... And I hard disagree.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Assassin's Creed 3 remains the most thematically bold game of the series.
Resident Evil 6 is fucking awesome, at least from a gameplay perspective. The campaign itself however varies in quality.

AC 3 is a fantastic game and so is the story line Ubisoft conjured up for the AC games with the space alien forerunners of humanity.
🤝

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Fallout 4 has some of the most satisfying shooting this gen thanks to the gore & dismemberment system. I was playing Far Cry 5 last week and it feels down right boring in comparison, enemies just get hit and die like a paper target. Shooting balloon is more fun than shooting Far Cry enemies.

I understand why people dislike Fallout 4 and I agree with them but the gunplay is seriously amazing especially with dismemberment turned on (you can do this with a mod but it's really a hidden in-game setting)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Days Gone right now. I really feel like it hit at a time when people were maybe a little fatigued with the genre, as it is a lot better than many of the games that reviewed better than it. There are some odd bugs, and some strange choices, but it generally feels a lot better to play than most of its contemporaries. Honestly, I think it is strange that it was given the cold shoulder by critics.

Aside from the boss re-use (and them being qte's) The Order 1886 is actually a pretty good franchise opener/prologue, always felt the hate that game got was a bit overblown. I do hope we can actually see another game in the franchise.

I want to add on to this one a little. I think the way the handled those boss QTEs was actually pretty interesting. They weren't strictly QTEs. They were, suitably, some kind of half-breed QTE mechanic. They felt far more tense, and it gave you a sensation of actually being in control, while also being quite cinematic. Unfortunately, despite being an interesting permutation, I think people were just so sick of QTEs by the time the game released that no one was having any of it.

The Order 1886 wasn't a perfect game, but I think it is much better than it was given credit for. I think it is one of those wrong place, wrong time situations.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is the most polished action RPG that From has ever made. DS1 was more revolutionary, and Bloodborne has that amazing setting, but DS3 is the best overall package.

I think that Gun Valkyrie is the best 3d Metroid game ever made.

This I like! I'd argue that GUNVALKYRIE is the best mecha game of all time, if you define powered armor as mecha (and I do!).

The GameCube was the best console of its generation

Did the PS2 cease to exist?

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Metroid Other M had the bones of a great game, and some cool exploratory moments. If it wasn't limited by the need to use the Wii Remote on its side alone and instead used the nunchuk for movement and the pointer for aiming at all times its combat could've been something special, and this might also have opened up other opportunities for interaction with the environment. Take away the overbearing narrative and you have real potential. Too bad that formula will never get a second chance.

Koei / Omega Force's entire range of Musou action games are some of the best pure video game experiences to be had.

Controversial in that these games are widely seen as low budget and archaic. But I believe that impression is half a decade out of date. Around the time of Samurai Warriors 4 (2014), Omega greatly improved their efforts in everything from visuals to polish, and fundamental gameplay.

Since then the games have branched into quite a few directions and IMO are the true successors to the belt-scrolling beat-em-up genre of arcade game. In terms of visual quality, they are still modest compared to AAA games. But tend to have excellent art direction for character designs and great models.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefront 2 isn't just good now, but it was good when it came out, and the outcry over "pay to win" was kind of overblown to hell and back. Pay to win was very minor since the first level cards were easy to get anyway, and higher level cards were very very incremental steps up... And winning didn't really matter in that game anyway. There was nothing competitive about it. They make no attempt at balance and they didn't reward or punish victory or defeat.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
the pokémon formula was perfected 20 years ago and the battle system is rpg perfected

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018

Just picked up RE6 on the PS4 sale. Played through the tutorial and it kicks ass. When it first came out I think I was hoping for another Re4 experience. Now that some time has passed I think I will be able to appreciate the action much more.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
-Telltale made the best Monkey Island sequel after the Gilbert games.
-Ground Zeroes is a better MGS games than Phantom Pain

Ashrak

Mine -

I do actually think the weapon degradation system in BOTW is amazing. I really hated it in the beginning, but as I've adjusted my perspective, I've come to enjoy the added difficulty that it brings.

I have a very similar feeling.

I think weapon degradation only makes sense if the equipment decays relatively quickly and if weapons cannot simply be repaired again and again. Check out Dark Souls: everyone masturbates to how incredibly hardcore the games are. Also has weapon degradation and ... it affects the gameplay by nothing.

The weapons hold up hours before they break and the bonfires are set generously enough in all Games so that they can be repaired again and again by the automatic repair or renewed with the extremely cheap repair powder. Removing weapon degradation from the Souls-Series would probably make no difference to 99.99% of players.

In Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, you actually have to keep in mind that your weapons will eventually break and plan accordingly.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
1. Ubisoft and Bethesda are two of the best publishers in the industry.

2. We need *more* remakes, not fewer, because:
-They can potentially add jobs to the industry through the formation of studios dedicated solely to remakes
-They can revive classic games and are a great way to preserve them
-They can take deeply flawed games, fix the issues, and finally deliver the experience the developers intended

3. Luigi is better than Mario

I'm neutral on Ubisoft, but otherwise I totally agree with all three of these. Even taking into account its few high profile disaster (like the endlessly cascading clusterfuck that is Fallout 76), Bethesda is still handily my second favorite publisher after Nintendo. I love the idea of remaking flawed but innovative games that failed to live up to their original potential. And Luigi has always been the best Mario brother.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Quiet was a really great character and had the most depth of any one in MGS 5. And I say that despite being turned off by her gratuitous T&A shots.

SalTea

Sep 19, 2019
Mario 64 didn't age well. Of the N64 classics, it aged the worst. And it is in desperate need of a remake as it is nearly unplayable without nostalgia.

EDIT: Misread title for positivity. Oops.

Uh, I liked Starfox Zero.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
attach1469147734.png

"Good game." - Federation Trooper

Metroid Prime Federation Force was wrongfully panned. If you have someone to play with, it's lowkey one of the most fun 3DS games (I mean it's Next Level Games, they make good stuff).

And while I may feel a few of Next Level Game's games overstay their welcome, I didn't get this feeling with Federation Force despite being fairly lengthy because every mission throws something new at you. For example one of the late game missions has player 1 in their mech, while the other is de-meched for most of it. So p2 is defenseless and has to be protected by p1, but p2 can go into small tunnels and stuff, so it's a new dynamic of teamwork explored solely in that one mission.

The game structure is not Metroid, it's mission based and linear, but for what it sets out to do, it does very well. It's a neat co-op adventure with a lot of variation in mission objectives. And it has the Next Level Games silliness with the cheesy voicelines you can make your Federation Trooper say. The game is also surprisingly challenging, even before unlocking hard mode.

It's a shame no one played it, because of preconceived notions or whatever.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I like live service (as long as its done right).

I enjoy the so called 'junk food' AAA games.

I appreciate when non-typical, non-AAA games winning award (even if I don't like or haven't played them.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Zelda II Links Awakening is one of my favorite games of all time and unfairly criticized largely for how much it differed from the origInal formula. The gameplay, bosses, music were all top notch. I'll go to my grave defending the game. Also that sweet gold cartridge of course but that's sweet all the time.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I think the 7th gen Tony Hawk games (Project 8 & Proving Ground) are great. They play well, have amazing trick animation even compared to the Skate franchise, fun worlds to skate through, great soundtracks & strike a good balance between realism & arcade fun. In fact, I would go as far to say that Project 8 is the third best Tony Hawk game after THUG & THPS3.

NBA Live 19 is a great Basketball game. Despite being considered crap compared to NBA 2K, but I honestly find the game to be a lot easier to get into if you don't play many sports games. And is a lot more fun to play overall.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
While I understand some of the things people have issues with, Pokémon Sword and Shield are the best Pokémon games since B/W and are also among the best games in the series.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
homefront the revolution is great game, especially when played with the 2 story expansions it has.

Aug 27, 2018
Warhammer 40k Space Marine is amazing and an incredible third-person shooter (I want a new one PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER WARMHAMMER 40K SPACE MARINE)