• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's being misrepresented? The point he makes is that the last time America was great was when there was slavery.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me there is a reaction shot from the black man who asked the question.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
now he will surefire win alabama
Yeesh. How do people like this get to be elected officials? I'm not sure how this is remotely okay. As a black guy am I supposed to be proud of someone who represents me who essentially says slavery would fine? Jesus help this nation.
Simple. People in alabama like pedophilia and slavery. Or at least they dont mind to elect someone who is a pedophile and has nostalgia for slavery

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I think the problem I have is with the thread title, there's no need to put words in his mouth. It lowers the standard in a time when the standards are already through the floor.
Unless the title has been changed and I missed it, "like when we had slavery" is perfectly accurate way to paraphrase what he said. His attempt to caveat out the slavery part doesn't change the fact that that's time he decided to call out as great time for America...when we had slavery.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Even though there was slavery" is the most half assed, mealy mouthed, milquetoast bullshit way he could express "yeah well slavery was bad I GUESS"

Come on guys

It's like, imagine you make a milkshake for yourself and your friend, except instead of using milk or ice cream, you just shit in the glasses. And then that you insist to your friend "this is awesome if you put aside the whole shit thing". Maybe you topped it off with chocolate shavings or something, maybe you could technically be referring to that, but I'm sure your friend will feel that shit is an essential part of the whole experience.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
what the fuck is wrong with you, alabama.

there's a red line in life that makes me check racist next to someone's name, and roy moore just accomplished that.

jesus, you cannot say that stuff in 2017. you shouldn't even be thinking it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Roy Moore, the child molesting racist, is just keeping it real by not being "politically correct". #MAGA

And Roy Moore, the cowardly pedophile, doesn't want to debate with his opponent because of reasons. #MAGA

Dude has the full endorsement of POTUS.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The South won the civil war.

We should have never let them back into the union so easily.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Unless the title has been changed and I missed it, "like when we had slavery" is perfectly accurate way to paraphrase what he said. His attempt to caveat out the slavery part doesn't change the fact that that's time he decided to call out as great time for America...when we had slavery.
I think this is kind of a weird way to look at it. Roy Moore is a terrible person and says plenty of stupid stuff, but by that same logic you cannot look back at any point in history or at any historical figures and state that it had positive aspects because some injustice was most definitely going on at that point.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is kind of a weird way to look at it. Roy Moore is a terrible person and says plenty of stupid stuff, but by that same logic you cannot look back at any point in history or at any historical figures and state that it had positive aspects because some injustice was most definitely going on at that point.

Other than the fact that era had slavery, what distinguishing characteristic does Roy Moore specify? Family unity isn't unique to the era of slavery and families are not suffering today. If anything, it is the other way around. Families are stronger today than they were during slavery.

Roy Moore simply gave a empty platitude in order to state he wants to bring back slavery. He could have picked any era and said families were strong, but he choose the time we had slavery.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
it's time for GOP to go. Americans deserve a better and real national political party for conservatism.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Other than the fact that era had slavery, what distinguishing characteristic does Roy Moore specify? Family unity isn't unique to the era of slavery and families are not suffering today. If anything, it is the other way around. Families are stronger today than they were during slavery.

Roy Moore simply gave a empty platitude in order to state he wants to bring back slavery. He could have picked any era and said families were strong, but he choose the time we had slavery.
I am not saying he is smart, or that he made a good choice, or that he is a moral person. Just the arguments some people put forth are really weird logically. Whether he wants slavery back or not, his statement is worded in such a manner that he implies slavery is bad. To take him to task for being a shit person is ok, and we should, but it just feels like people are really stretching here to turn this statement into something when there is already so much bad stuff associated with him that is candidly malicious. Hell, I am sure if someone looked for it there are more obvious examples where he clearly and unabashedly says racist stuff, like calling asian and native american people yellows and reds.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The civil war was almost a 175 years ago, and that time he could find a point when the American family was strong?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

The issue here is that slavery, at least in the American south, wasn't just a bad thing that happened in the background. It's a - if not the - central part of economy. Even the positive aspects are probably going to be enabled by slavery.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
The civil war was almost a 175 years ago, and that time he could find a point when the American family was strong?
Ok, besides stating the present then (and I think even that would be problematic for a multitude of reasons), when could you say was a time where America was at its best and didn't coincide with suppression of racial minorities, women, the lgbt community, etc.?

I really don't think Moore is right in picking the time he chose, but I think you could make the same argument that many are making here about any point in history, with any country, and that makes it impossible to answer the question that was asked.
The issue here is that slavery, at least in the American south, wasn't just a bad thing that happened in the background. It's a - if not the - central part of economy. Even the positive aspects are probably going to be enabled by slavery.
I would agree with you, but where in his statement does he state that the southern mentality is what is good at the time? He probably means to refer to that, but the statement doesn't say that explicitly. My point is not that he is not racist, but that this is a bad statement to use to argue that he is, especially when he provides so much more blatantly racist comments.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, besides stating the present then (and I think even that would be problematic for a multitude of reasons), when could you say was a time where America was at its best and didn't coincide with suppression of racial minorities, women, the lgbt community, etc.?

I really don't think Moore is right in picking the time he chose, but I think you could make the same argument that many are making here about any point in history, with any country, and that makes it impossible to answer the question that was asked.
None, but the fact he leaped all the way back to slavery and mentioned slavery in a offhand hand comment is kinda the problem and shows you what kinda of person he is.

he mentioned slavery like some people mention pipes rattling a bit in their house, annoying but something they willing accept

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing that make this statement extra ridiculous is the fact that he is basically saying neither his generation, his parents generation, his grandparents generation nor his great grandparents know what a "United" family is then.

Maybe stop having sex with children then Roy.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well that's the point isn't it? People who say "Make America Great Again" want to return to times when oppression was even more prevalent and those who challenge them on the statement know what they really mean.

There is no good answer to "when was America great?" but we all know that already and we all know what people who say "make America great again" really mean.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord if that state votes him in, businesses should leave the state. What a terrible outcome and makes the word "deplorable" have some meaning in this case. If he wins, should future Democratic Party nominee skip Alabama? There is no hope for that state.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that make this statement extra ridiculous is the fact that he is basically saying neither his generation, his parents generation, his grandparents generation nor his great grandparents know what a "United" family is then.

Maybe stop having sex with children then Roy.
well considering " the greatest generation" fought the nazis, I can see why they are no longer held highly by the current right

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another example that bigoted ass shit heads are comfortable without their hoods on since trump got elected

we'll never forget your face though

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Well that's the point isn't it? People who say "Make America Great Again" want to return to times when oppression was even more prevalent and those who challenge them on the statement know what they really mean.

There is no good answer to "when was America great?" but we all know that already and we all know what people who say "make America great again" really mean.
I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly. In this vein though, do people attack Trump for saying make america great again? No, they attack him because he supports racist bans on people entering the country, supports taxes on the disadvantaged, supports policy that suppresses minorities, etc. Moore has done and said plenty of things that could be used to say how terrible he is as a person and candidate, even pertaining to the same topic. I think focusing on one like this seems kind of fruitless.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with you, but where in his statement does he state that the southern mentality is what is good at the time? He probably means to refer to that, but the statement doesn't say that explicitly. My point is not that he is not racist, but that this is a bad statement to use to argue that he is, especially when he provides so much more blatantly racist comments.

Why are you bringing up mentality? I didn't say anything about mentality. I said that in this particular time, slavery is central to the economy, and any good thing that you would want to highlight in this time would be affected by that. The demographics were due to slavery - again, the population was nearly half black due to it. Entertainment involved tons of black stereotyping. The people who held the most slaves were the wealthy class. They went to the Civil War to defend their ability to keep slaves. How do you take the slavery out of this period in order to praise it?

In this vein though, do people attack Trump for saying make america great again? No

They absolutely do, because that is a statement with history and meaning which goes beyond the literal denotation of the words in the statement.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you bringing up mentality? I didn't say anything about mentality. I said that in this particular time, slavery is central to the economy, and any good thing that you would want to highlight in this time would be affected by that. The demographics were due to slavery - again, the population was nearly half black due to it. Entertainment involved tons of black stereotyping. The people who held the most slaves were the wealthy class. They went to the Civil War to defend their ability to keep slaves. How do you take the slavery out of this period in order to praise it?
You ignore it and when someone calls you out on it, you ignore them too.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly. In this vein though, do people attack Trump for saying make america great again? No, they attack him because he supports racist bans on people entering the country, supports taxes on the disadvantaged, supports policy that suppresses minorities, etc. Moore has done and said plenty of things that could be used to say how terrible he is as a person and candidate, even pertaining to the same topic. I think focusing on one like this seems kind of fruitless.
He campaigned on "Make America Great Again," and in order to #MAGA, he has to enact changes, no? And those changes would be the things you listed, among others. They are intrinsically linked.
As for Moore, the current statement may have implications behind it, but we know what those implications are because he has said other horrible, racist things. Because of that history of other statements, it's not a huge leap to infer what he means by the current statement.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
He campaigned on "Make America Great Again," and in order to #MAGA, he has to enact changes, no? And those changes would be the things you listed, among others. They are intrinsically linked.
As for Moore, the current statement may have implications behind it, but we know what those implications are because he has said other horrible, racist things. Because of that history of other statements, it's not a huge leap to infer what he means by the current statement.
I guess I will just disagree and leave it at that. I think attacking a statement such as this is a waste of energy when you can more concretely attack someone's actions and more obviously malicious statements, of which there are plenty with Moore and Trump.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the guy is a cunt but he clearly says despite slavery he thinks that is the time. It's semantics but everyone is just wilfully ignoring it.
Its a dogwhistle. He clearly thinks slavery was good, hence why he praises the time period. His statement of familoes being more united and America are dogshit and easily debunked. The only way you are going to praise that period is if you'd love to own some slaves.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Its a dogwhistle. He clearly thinks slavery was good, hence why he praises the time period. His statement of familoes being more united and America are dogshit and easily debunked. The only way you are going to praise that period is if you'd love to own some slaves.

Which happens alot and that is how racist ideas and stereotypes are so pervasive without people specifically saying overt statements. The innuendo and dogwhistles have been around for decades and their effectiveness is always proven when people clearly show that they don't see what is wrong or that the statement is innocent.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
The person that asked this question was black which makes the response even more incredibly stupid.