• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the guy is a cunt but he clearly says despite slavery he thinks that is the time. It's semantics but everyone is just wilfully ignoring it.

I think the fact that he knows slavery was bad (I mean, dur) but him saying even though sounds like despite slavery it contributed to things being good. It's really fucked.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, there's an argument that "slavery days" America wasn't even that great for white men, isn't there? If I'm not mistaken, slavery was actually more expensive than immigrant labour. Slaveowners didn't have to pay wages, but they had to shoulder all of the costs of supporting them, whereas immigrants have to handle themselves. Slaves also don't sit there and accept their fate, especially when they're not immensely outnumbered, so there's cost required to keep them repressed. I've read claims that the cost was part of the motivation of abolitionists, as well as introducing issues that preventing the South from winning the Civil War. So while they made a lot of money off of slave plantations, wasn't this also a period where their refusal to modernize held them back?

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
America was best during the time of greatest social injustice, where people were property, and women and children spoke when they were spoken to.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Know what is hilarious, that people love that time. But will get defensive when you point out slavery, and say shit like "not everyone owned slaves", no but the ones that did sent the ones who didn't to die for the right. Like one of the first things they setup was a system where wealthy people could buy their way out of the draft.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the guy is a cunt but he clearly says despite slavery he thinks that is the time. It's semantics but everyone is just wilfully ignoring it.

The fact that he thinks everything in America has gone downhill since we've gotten rid of slavery is pretty clear evidence that he has no regard for the lives of anyone who isn't white. It's not semantics. It's fucking obvious.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe the shit your politicians are able to get away with, starting with your National Embarrassment at the White House.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are willing to vote for this fucker. That's what really pissies me off. A single dipshit is one thing, but a sea of sheep to drown out sense and sensibiliiy. All done largely on pretense of 'religious conviction'.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Hell, there's an argument that "slavery days" America wasn't even that great for white men, isn't there? If I'm not mistaken, slavery was actually more expensive than immigrant labour. Slaveowners didn't have to pay wages, but they had to shoulder all of the costs of supporting them, whereas immigrants have to handle themselves. Slaves also don't sit there and accept their fate, especially when they're not immensely outnumbered, so there's cost required to keep them repressed. I've read claims that the cost was part of the motivation of abolitionists, as well as introducing issues that preventing the South from winning the Civil War. So while they made a lot of money off of slave plantations, wasn't this also a period where their refusal to modernize held them back?

Slaves were 'worth' more to an owner in the sense if there was a job that needed to be done that could be fatal theyd get an irishmen to do it as they wouldnt lose any money. theyd pay the irishmens wages for the day and be done with it.

Slaves did outnumber whites in the south for a good part of american history but without the means to stage a rebellion or a place to goto after said rebellion started they had no consent in their slave status. It was forced and for those who did flee they were punished generally quite harshly as you can imagine. In an environment of perpetual fear a human can hope for nothing but survival

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We had a real direction for the country" um.

He does know that whole "civil war" thing that happened because we didn't have a cohesive view of the country.

Right?

Nov 1, 2017
I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly. In this vein though, do people attack Trump for saying make america great again? No, they attack him because he supports racist bans on people entering the country, supports taxes on the disadvantaged, supports policy that suppresses minorities, etc. Moore has done and said plenty of things that could be used to say how terrible he is as a person and candidate, even pertaining to the same topic. I think focusing on one like this seems kind of fruitless.
I attack him for all of those including his stupid slogan.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Its just crazy that this is 2017 and there are people like this running for senate. Trump is just the beginning and this will be a battle that will last our lifetime.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's not a spicy enough thread title.

You have to be willfully obtuse to ignore what he meant. This is like if you asked a German when was the last time that Germany was great, and they told you it was the 1940's, despite all the concentration camps. Would you then say "Oh, he didn't mean that the holocaust was great, just that it was a great time otherwise!" You'd have to be an idiot.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
September 11th, 2001 was a fantastic day. Well- despite the two planes that flew into the World Trade Center buildings. Really great day! We really were one, ya know?

Oct 31, 2017
You have to be willfully obtuse to ignore what he meant. This is like if you asked a German when was the last time that Germany was great, and they told you it was the 1940's, despite all the concentration camps. Would you then say "Oh, he didn't mean that the holocaust was great, just that it was a great time otherwise!" You'd have to be an idiot.
Hopefully that was sarcasm

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this guy and the millions of Americans who think like this.

Alabama please prove that you are not a complete shithole on Tuesday. If they vote for a racist pedophile then the entire state should be labeled as being full of inbred fuckwits.

No more sympathy from me for these shitheads.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
The people in here twisting themselves to "accurately" paint his statement are still kinda sorta missing the entire fucking point. Because even if he said "despite slavery", families were unified it's still a problematic statement because guess which families WEREN'T unified...yea the slaves. Our families were routinely broken up. Not even mentioning that his first inclination when asked by an African American when he last thought America was great was to talk about slavery is so fucked up. Or the fact that the reason that time period was "great" was because of slavery and without it that time period would have been trash. Much like any other period in American history white folks deem as "great", they were great for white people specifically because of all the services and programs that were granted to white folks at the expense of black folks. You'll never be able to recapture those time periods unless you implement the same discrimination of said time periods, so bringing them up even with the "despite" quantifier is trash.

Even discounting slavery, America has many more high-points since then where it could be considered great. Yet he still considers it the greatest time period in American history; rural, religious, and racist. Sums him up.

There's honestly no excuse for his statement. He believes the greatest time in American history is when slavery exists, the 'even though' counts for nothing. You can't just 'even though' away slavery, it was a dark point of American history.

1930s Germany was great, even though fascism and racism existed, it was a great period for Germany. Imagine Angela Merkel saying that. It'd be career suicide for her. Yet Roy Moore could well be elected, and I won't say 'despite' this, because saying things like this will actively get him votes and it disgusts me to my core.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Its just crazy that this is 2017 and there are people like this running for senate. Trump is just the beginning and this will be a battle that will last our lifetime.

It boggles my mind. I so didn't think I would be here at this time. This wasn't supposed to be my lifetime, something went very wrong!

It's absolutely disgusting.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
September 11th, 2001 was a fantastic day. Well- despite the two planes that flew into the World Trade Center buildings. Really great day! We really were one, ya know?
1930s Germany was great, even though fascism and racism existed, it was a great period for Germany. Imagine Angela Merkel saying that. It'd be career suicide for her.

I think the last time Pearl Harbor was great was December 7th, 1941, despite the explosions.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Amazing someone would say such a thing with a straight face.

Truly, Moore does not belong in any kind of public office. Or anywhere in the world really. We'd all be better off if he retired to a farm and stopped talking.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people in here twisting themselves to "accurately" paint his statement are still kinda sorta missing the entire fucking point. Because even if he said "despite slavery", families were unified it's still a problematic statement because guess which families WEREN'T unified...yea the slaves. Our families were routinely broken up. Not even mentioning that his first inclination when asked by an African American when he last thought America was great was to talk about slavery is so fucked up. Or the fact that the reason that time period was "great" was because of slavery and without it that time period would have been trash. Much like any other period in American history white folks deem as "great", they were great for white people specifically because of all the services and programs that were granted to white folks at the expense of black folks. You'll never be able to recapture those time periods unless you implement the same discrimination of said time periods, so bringing them up even with the "despite" quantifier is trash.
No, it's not missing the point at all. The boy who cried wolf ain't just a bedtime story.

I don't think anyone would argue that his statement is fucked up either way. Yes, the fact that slavery was at the forefront of his mind is extremely telling in and of itself.

But let people ingest his statement accurately and make their own judgement. Twisting his words to misrepresent what he said is fucking bullshit and simply provides ammo for the "fake news" fuckery that emanates from the right.

Explain exactly why what he said is an issue. Don't dress it up to caricature levels of evil because that just gives people the easy out of dismissing you because "that's not what he said".

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
But let people ingest his statement accurately and make their own judgement. Twisting his words to misrepresent what he said is fucking bullshit and simply provides ammo for the "fake news" fuckery that emanates from the right.

The essence of his statement is literally that America was better when we still had slavery. He tries to dress it up with some bullshit about how families (exclusively white families, you would imagine) were still "united" and the country had a "clear direction". All of which is complete bullshit that makes no sense if you have any understanding of American history, unless you are analyzing it through the lens of the white, slaveholding class. It's the only interpretation that makes any sense!

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Fuck this guy and the millions of Americans who think like this.

Alabama please prove that you are not a complete shithole on Tuesday. If they vote for a racist pedophile then the entire state should be labeled as being full of inbred fuckwits.

No more sympathy from me for these shitheads.

While I agree with your anger, I don't think that it is fair to lump those voting against him in with those who voted for him because they have the misfortune of living in Alabama for whatever reason.

In general, people should avoid lumping together all of Alabama as a monolith in this thread. A third of the state voted against Trump. Presumably at least that will vote against Moore. They don't deserve scorn for being outnumbered.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alongside his handwaving/pining for slavery, the "united" thing is bullshit too. White families were only united then because they had to be because of all the misogyny and only men having most rights or permission to make a living. Women were forced to cling to a man. What Moore sees as "great" is a time when only white men had any power or independence; that's the essential quality in his "greatness". Which has always been what MAGA has meant. It's a slogan for misogynists, homophobes, and white supremacists.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Come on, don't fall for that. If he wanted to use the usual "back when families were united" dogwhistle to pre-Civil Rights Movement America, he could have said that. Pining for the 50s when the commies were the bad guys, women knew their place, and them colored folk weren't so uppity is a common right-wing talking point. Specifically mentioning that slavery era America was the last time it was "great" is not just semantics. Dude is straight up saying that America has been shit ever since you decided that black people weren't property.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Mm, yes, back when we were united by polio deaths and child labor.

I really wish we could send people to live a few months during the times they keep mindlessly invoking as 'better.' This sort of blind nostalgia is drenched in aggressive ignorance of the larger quality of life of the times.

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
All you need to do to understand idealistic white racial politics in the 20th century is watch Gone With the Wind, maybe the most successful film of all time.

The premise of the film was mourning when the South was "great."

Roy Moore clings to this playbook like a true pre-civil rights act piece of human excrement.

Politicians of his ilk, so clearly bigoted, used to be the norm in this country.

This is no dog-whistle. Moore is the type of politician who would stand in school doorways. It hasn't been that long.

XBZ8fVI.jpg