• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this thread because I haven't seen anything yet, but people have gotten to the end of the game. In fact, here's the final cutscene in 4k.

This might be a Persona 4 situation where this game becomes playable sooner rather than later. Once it does, the entire franchise will be playable on PC at playable framerates in some form or another. Portable Ops still has a funky control scheme, but you can work around that by mapping the analog nub to the right stick and make that rotate the camera and use the left analog for movement and use △ or ⨉ to enable walking.

Aren't the HD Collection games also available on PS3? Or are the controls for the HD version of Peace Walker not improved in that port? I'm honestly surprised the HD collection hasn't gotten a PS4 version by now.

But yeah, concerning being able to play the series on PC... Last I checked, there's PC versions of MGS 1 and MGS 2, and I think both of them require fan patches to be more playable on modern machines. MGS3 and the PSP games have long been playable via emulator. And of course, MGS5 and Rising on PC. That just leaves MGS4, yeah.

And also Ghost Babel on Game Boy is easily emulated - while that's not a mainline title, it's still very much worth any Metal Gear fan's time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the HD Collection games also available on PS3? Or are the controls for the HD version of Peace Walker not improved in that port? I'm honestly surprised the HD collection hasn't gotten a PS4 version by now.

But yeah, concerning being able to play the series on PC... Last I checked, there's PC versions of MGS 1 and MGS 2, and I think both of them require fan patches to be more playable on modern machines. MGS3 and the PSP games have long been playable via emulator. And of course, MGS5 and Rising on PC. That just leaves MGS4, yeah.

And also Ghost Babel on Game Boy is easily emulated - while that's not a mainline title, it's still very much worth any Metal Gear fan's time.
The HD Collections are on PS3, but there's issues.

MGS2 and MGS3 suffer from slowdowns in the HD versions; MGS2 used to have issues with water effects, but those seem to have alleviated in a build I tried a month ago. MGS3 apparently suffers from the same slowdown. Peace Walker is perfectly playable in either RPCS3 or PPSSPP regardless of the resolutions you throw at it, but RPCS3 would be the best one to use thanks to the control scheme -- though there's a dual analog mod for it and Portable Ops that was for the Vita and apparently works for PPSSPP, but I can't get it to work. MGS1 MGS1 and works on a toaster at this point, and Twin Snakes is solid as well.

The PC version of MGS1 works, haven't looked at the PC MGS2 yet, though since it lacks the analog button support, I'm inclined to ignore it. Thanks to the analog buttons, the best way to play MGS2 would still be PCSX2, especially since it has widescreen hacks. MGS3 works in PCSX2 as well, but the 3DS version runs at full speed too, and that one has a superior control scheme.

Unfortunately, that one is still locked to the native framerate it had on the 3DS, so until that version can hit 30 or 60fps in-game, it won't be the best version. But yeah, MG1, MG2, Ghost Babel, the Acid games; all playable. And MGS5 and Rising, of course.\

And Survive, too, I guess. But I don't want to glance at that until someone mods away the forced online connectivity.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The HD Collections are on PS3, but there's issues.

MGS2 and MGS3 suffer from slowdowns in the HD versions; MGS2 used to have issues with water effects, but those seem to have alleviated in a build I tried a month ago. MGS3 apparently suffers from the same slowdown. Peace Walker is perfectly playable in either RPCS3 or PPSSPP regardless of the resolutions you throw at it, but RPCS3 would be the best one to use thanks to the control scheme -- though there's a dual analog mod for it and Portable Ops that was for the Vita and apparently works for PPSSPP, but I can't get it to work. MGS1 MGS1 and works on a toaster at this point, and Twin Snakes is solid as well.

The PC version of MGS1 works, haven't looked at the PC MGS2 yet, though since it lacks the analog button support, I'm inclined to ignore it. Thanks to the analog buttons, the best way to play MGS2 would still be PCSX2, especially since it has widescreen hacks. MGS3 works in PCSX2 as well, but the 3DS version runs at full speed too, and that one has a superior control scheme.

Unfortunately, that one is still locked to the native framerate it had on the 3DS, so until that version can hit 30 or 60fps in-game, it won't be the best version. But yeah, MG1, MG2, Ghost Babel, the Acid games; all playable. And MGS5 and Rising, of course.\

And Survive, too, I guess. But I don't want to glance at that until someone mods away the forced online connectivity.
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll keep that in consideration while figuring out my plans for playing the whole series back to back. Probably will go MGS1 > Twin Snakes > Ghost Babel > 2 > 3 > Portable Ops (maybe?) > Peace Walker > finish 5 > 4. Already finished Rising.

So regarding MGS2, I forgot the PS2 even had analog buttons - what does the game even use them for?

And I was honestly considering playing MGS3 on 3DS purely for the novelty of playing it in 3D, but if PCSX2 has stereo rendering, I could just use my VR headset and Bigscreen Beta. Speaking of using VR, I might just use the VR branch of Dolphin to play Twin Snakes, that would be novel as fuck.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Sony using this emulator for PS5! Would be sweet!
Given they have access to actual hardware and software docs, I imagine they could make a better one.

We need a general purpose emulator/emulation thread. Someone make it!

Same, Mgo2 was the shit.
MGO2 is my favorite multiplayer shooter. The fact that the full suite of melee options from single player are possible in multiplayer make me love the shit out of it. Punches, kicks, weapon theft, chokeholds, and takedowns; all great. And all are significantly better than the traditional shooter one hit elbow/knife slash.

Too bad MGO3 didn't catch on in the same manner, though Konami killing everything as fast as they did probably didn't help.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Given they have access to actual hardware and software docs, I imagine they could make a better one.

We need a general purpose emulator/emulation thread. Someone make it!

MGO2 is my favorite multiplayer shooter. The fact that the full suite of melee options from single player are possible in multiplayer make me love the shit out of it. Punches, kicks, weapon theft, chokeholds, and takedowns; all great. And all are significantly better than the traditional shooter one hit elbow/knife slash.

Too bad MGO3 didn't catch on in the same manner, though Konami killing everything as fast as they did probably didn't help.

Midtown Maelstrom.

Good times...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll keep that in consideration while figuring out my plans for playing the whole series back to back. Probably will go MGS1 > Twin Snakes > Ghost Babel > 2 > 3 > Portable Ops (maybe?) > Peace Walker > finish 5 > 4. Already finished Rising.

So regarding MGS2, I forgot the PS2 even had analog buttons - what does the game even use them for?

And I was honestly considering playing MGS3 on 3DS purely for the novelty of playing it in 3D, but if PCSX2 has stereo rendering, I could just use my VR headset and Bigscreen Beta. Speaking of using VR, I might just use the VR branch of Dolphin to play Twin Snakes, that would be novel as fuck.
MGS2 & 3 used analog buttons for much of the same things: aiming without firing, increasing the strength of chokeholds (soft to hold, harder presses increase the strength of the individual chokes, reducing the amount of times you have to mash the button to make someone pass out or to break their neck), and to peek around corners and objects in FPV.

It was also used for equipment: harder presses brought up the menus, softer presses allowed you to quickly equip/unequip. Granted, all of these can be worked around without analog controls (as proven by the 360 versions), but things like aiming and not firing suffer greatly without analog.

I mean, you could probably skirt it if you managed to map aiming to L1 as well since that's just the lock-on button, but that might work better for MGS3 than MGS2.

I should test this out in PCSX2; I only have a DS4 hooked up to my PC right now. Using modded drivers for DS3's are entirely a nuisance and always have been, and I don't want to cause any potential conflicts with using anything that may interfere with DS4Windows, so I was going to buy a Mayflash adapter. But MGS and The Bouncer are literally the only games I have (in general) that I have ripped to my PC that use analog face buttons in any meaningful manner, and if I can come up with workarounds for MGS at the very least, I won't need the adapter.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS2 & 3 used analog buttons for much of the same things: aiming without firing, increasing the strength of chokeholds (soft to hold, harder presses increase the strength of the individual chokes, reducing the amount of times you have to mash the button to make someone pass out or to break their neck), and to peek around corners and objects in FPV.

It was also used for equipment: harder presses brought up the menus, softer presses allowed you to quickly equip/unequip. Granted, all of these can be worked around without analog controls (as proven by the 360 versions), but things like aiming and not firing suffer greatly without analog.

I mean, you could probably skirt it if you managed to map aiming to L1 as well since that's just the lock-on button, but that might work better for MGS3 than MGS2.

I should test this out in PCSX2; I only have a DS4 hooked up to my PC right now. Using modded drivers for DS3's are entirely a nuisance and always have been, and I don't want to cause any potential conflicts with using anything that may interfere with DS4Windows, so I was going to buy a Mayflash adapter. But MGS and The Bouncer are literally the only games I have (in general) that I have ripped to my PC that use analog face buttons in any meaningful manner, and if I can come up with workarounds for MGS at the very least, I won't need the adapter.
Hmm. I might actually play MGS2 with a Steam Controller, actually - a little tinkering with Steam Input, along with the use of the paddles to activate action layers, could actually be a workable substitute, by holding down one of the paddles to change the function of the face buttons from light press to hard press.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Also a great map.

That game had a ton of great maps...

I miss it so much.
MGO2 is perfectly playable on a PS3 though; savemgo.com

Even works for the Japanese version.
Hmm. I might actually play MGS2 with a Steam Controller, actually - a little tinkering with Steam Input, along with the use of the paddles to activate action layers, could actually be a workable substitute, by holding down one of the paddles to change the function of the face buttons from light press to hard press.
Seems like a workable idea; I'd have to buy a Steam controller for that to work for me, which I don't want. And I'd have to use Steam for controller support instead of DS4Windows, which I also don't want since I don't launch everything through Steam and DS4Windows seems to have better options based on my experimentation.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
MGO2 is perfectly playable on a PS3 though; savemgo.com

Even works for the Japanese version.

Seems like a workable idea; I'd have to buy a Steam controller for that to work for me, which I don't want. And I'd have to use Steam for controller support instead of DS4Windows, which I also don't want since I don't launch everything through Steam and DS4Windows seems to have better options based on my experimentation.

Oh I know, but as much as I loved MGO it definitely had it's problems. The netcode, nade teleports, and framerate being the worst of them. Plus playing competitively in Survival was what made it the best.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know, but as much as I loved MGO it definitely had it's problems. The netcode, nade teleports, and framerate being the worst of them. Plus playing competitively in Survival was what made it the best.
All valid points. Haven't tested it myself, but I would hope that the savemgo project managed to take care of and fix the back end given the nature of the project